• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Doom Eternal (2020) via PS5 DE

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m sure there’s a lot of Doom fans out there who loved and remember the classic doom games but doom 2016 was my first doom game I don’t know why it was my first doom game, but these games stick in my mind because they’re so new to me, I think now I understand the lash of open world games arena shooter applies here.

Now, I have smashed through many FPS games, Turok, Bioshock, deus ex, Fear and have since added the modern day highly hyped DOOM games to that list.

IMG-2070.png

80+ metacritic score clearly loved by fans.

Dooms weapon wheel is back and they do a fantastic job. They had the opportunity to tamper with powers, spells etc. and stuck to their guns, with the guns.

They make you feel slick. Super shotgun shown here.

Every kill feels personal, like you’re connected to the enemies who are a treat to kill.

Doom Eternal GIF

Doom eternal is almost too great for its own good, here we go again with a linear game released during Covid and it lives today as a short game that makes you feel unstoppable fighting through places like hell, earth and demon realms.

Doom Eternal GIF

What does GAF think of Doom Eternal 2020?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I just couldn’t. Action is way too hectic, yet you’re supposed to think too. Levels just never end, even the first one. I was exhausted by the fourth or fifth level. Everything is just so over the top, even the setting is like a concentrate of every death metal cover ever distilled and blown up to infinity.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Do I need to play Doom before playing Doom Eternal?

Which is the better game if I’m only picking one?

Both are on sale for £8 right now.

TrueGrime

Strayed too much from it's roots with a nonsense story. Should've kept it more like Doom 64 / Doom 2016.

This. I would even prefer Doom 64 and dare I say it... Doom 3.

There was something great about the horror of Doom. The tight corridors, darkness, and shadows were great. It was slower paced, but still good. I enjoyed Doom 2016, but Doom E turned into a Quake bunny-hopping, action-adventure letdown.

Robb

Gold Member
I just couldn’t. Action is way too hectic, yet you’re supposed to think too. Levels just never end, even the first one. I was exhausted by the fourth or fifth level. Everything is just so over the top, even the setting is like a concentrate of every death metal cover ever distilled and blown up to infinity.
I only played Doom 2016 and I think this perfectly sums up my experience as well. Eternal looks even more hectic to me so I just skipped it outright.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Imo, Eternal might be the best FPS ever. Some people bounced off it. In the same way, I found Wolfenstein to be a bit boring.

So, completely unscientifically, if you like FPS' that are more frenetic and make movement systems part of the game like Titanfall then go for Eternal. If you like what I would think of as more traditional FPS' like Wolfenstein then go for 2016.

Last edited:

Just get both if you want to follow the story they've built around it all.

also the music mixing on 2016 is way better than Eternals because of all the stuff that kicked off between the music guy and heads of studio.

Last edited:
Cheers, OP. 🍻

Eternal rocks hard. Really curious to see where they take the series next because they went so all out in Eternal. The Ancient Gods was wiiiild.

skit_data

Playing through Doom Eternal after finishing Doom 2016 atm.
Never played them back when they released but I really liked 2016 a lot after buying it fairly close to release.

But my god, Eternal is a different beast alogether. Probably the best fps I've played in a long time. It has some really strong exploration and level design aspects, it's almost akin to Metroid Prime in that regard. At first I felt it was a completely unreasonable step up in difficulty compared to the predecessor but after a while you really get into that flow state and combat and movement is just *chefs kiss*. The only game that managed to put me in that hyper focused state of mind is Returnal. I heard some people say the two share some combat aspects and after playing Eternal I really see where they're coming from.

The only thing I can think of being notably worse with Eternal is the music, it's definitely weaker than Mick Gordons OST for Doom 2016. Some of the aesthetics/color scheme also looked a little wierd coming from the much more visually coherent prequel, but it does serve a purpose for the readability.

Really great game, it just takes the combat and level design aspects from 2016 and just cranks it up to 11. I know some may not like that but to me I was pleasantly surprised how everything just fits together so perfectly in terms of gameplay, hats off to ID Software.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I remember ID decided last minute to release this a day or two early in stores because we were right on the verge of being quarantined.

amigastar

Playing through Doom Eternal after finishing Doom 2016 atm.
Never played them back when they released but I really liked 2016 a lot after buying it fairly close to release.

But my god, Eternal is a different beast alogether. Probably the best fps I've played in a long time. It has some really strong exploration and level design aspects, it's almost akin to Metroid Prime in that regard. At first I felt it was a completely unreasonable step up in difficulty compared to the predecessor but after a while you really get into that flow state and combat and movement is just *chefs kiss*. The only game that managed to put me in that hyper focused state of mind is Returnal. I heard some people say the two share some combat aspects and after playing Eternal I really see where they're coming from.

The only thing I can think of being notably worse with Eternal is the music, it's definitely weaker than Mick Gordons OST for Doom 2016. Some of the aesthetics/color scheme also looked a little wierd coming from the much more visually coherent prequel, but it does serve a purpose for the readability.

Really great game, it just takes the combat and level design aspects from 2016 and just cranks it up to 11. I know some may not like that but to me I was pleasantly surprised how everything just fits together so perfectly in terms of gameplay, hats off to ID Software.
Yeah, the new ID Software (i say new because the old people are mostly gone) makes banger games. I love Eternal top 3 of FPS for me. I would love to see a new quake from them.

kiphalfton

Doom 2016 was an all around better game.

Like you, it was the first Doom game I've played. Doom Eternal, well I didn't make it very far. I just didn't care for the huge shift.

Kind of reminds me of Wolfenstein The New Order vs Wolfenstein II The New Colossus. Loved the first one, but the second one felt like a huge step back.

Last edited:

Codeblew

Yeah, the new ID Software (i say new because the old people are mostly gone) makes banger games. I love Eternal top 3 of FPS for me. I would love to see a new quake from them.
You talk as if the original ID software with the likes of John Carmac were not legendary status at the time.

Beechos

Both dooms are amazing. Eternal improves on everything from the 1st. The polarizing marauder enemy are usually what people hate most about eternal. I was ok with them.

DonF

I tried Doom Eternal three times at this point and just could not get into it at all. I don't know why but it seems to lack something the 2016 game did.
same here
I loved the setting and pace of 2016, I had to force myself to finish eternal.

I believe that 2016 is more coherent. It has a story and a setting that flow more naturally than eternal. Eternal feels like a marvel movie, jumping all around, I cant keep up with the little story there is.

also, the encounters... I feel that you have a way bigger arsenal but way less options to defeat enemies. Most enemies dont have a more efficient way to be defeated, they just have ONE way to be defeated and I didnt like that.

And...having to juggle all the cooldowns... ugh...its a chore!

I loved the simplicity and focus of 2016, and even though the story its just an excuse to have the game, I liked it way more than eternal.

SkylineRKR

At first Eternal didn't click, and then I replayed it much later, the mechanics finally clicked and I think its one of the best FPS out there. I could do without the strict ammo count (which forces you to constantly chainsaw harmless fodder zombies), and I hated the boss battles. But other than that.. I now rate it higher than 2016.

Eternal is better paced. 2016 throws you into very long arena battles each time. Eternal's skirmishes are much shorter and more varied. You do need to manage lots of things, but this is just if you want to do really well. You can uphold a constant source of health and ammo if you use the tools every time they are available but you can do without those too. At least on Normal.

I don't understand the hate Eternal gets. The push into heavy sci-fi and fantasy lore was really cool imo. The Ancient Gods had so many insane moments.
Resource management isn't a huge issue once you figure out what actions generate specific resources (e.g., armor, health, ammo).

I play Doom 2016 to relax and Eternal to rip and tear. Extremely curious about what Id are cooking up for the successor to Eternal.

They added a bunch of platforming nonsense like I was playing Super Doom Bros. or something. I don't care about the story and the Doom Cinematic Universe shit either.

Doom 2016 was better. Kill shit, move to next area, kill more shit. Doom Eternal added way too much superfluous shit that wasn't releated to killing shit.

amigastar

It is really astonishing that John Romero still lives by the success of the old ID Software days. That's how important and legendary their contribution was.
I mean in all the interviews he talks mostly about past and his work at ID Software.

Last edited:
I've tried and given up on Doom Eternal several times now and I just do not like it for many of the same reasons described above. It just strayed far too much from the established Doom formula that has worked since 1993.

1) I did not like managing all the cool downs.
2) I did not like that you can seemingly only kill enemies by targeting their specific weakpoints with specific weapons specific alternate firing modes.
3) I found the platforming to be a boring time filler.
4) The story was anime tier fan fiction that constantly tells the player how awesome they are.
5) I did not like the over reliance on the Gen Z/Fortnite/neon everywhere art style.
6) I did not like the enemies being more cartoony.
7) I did not like the fact that Id decided to turn their successful 90s throwback FPS into a character action game.
8) I did not like the constant ammo, health, and armor management.
9) I straight up do not know why they thought anyone wanted Battle Mode instead of just improving Death match from 2016.

Bottomline, modern day Id apparently did not understand that simplicity is what made the original Doom (and their Doom 2016) work. They just felt like they had to add in a bunch of unnecessary shit to complicate things.

I've tried and given up on Doom Eternal several times now and I just do not like it for many of the same reasons described above. It just strayed far too much from the established Doom formula that has worked since 1993.

1) I did not like managing all the cool downs.
2) I did not like that you can seemingly only kill enemies by targeting their specific weakpoints with specific weapons specific alternate firing modes.
3) I found the platforming to be a boring time filler.
4) The story was anime tier fan fiction that constantly tells the player how awesome they are.
5) I did not like the over reliance on the Gen Z/Fortnite/neon everywhere art style.
6) I did not like the enemies being more cartoony.
7) I did not like the fact that Id decided to turn their successful 90s throwback FPS into a character action game.
8) I did not like the constant ammo, health, and armor management.
9) I straight up do not know why they thought anyone wanted Battle Mode instead of just improving Death match from 2016.

Bottomline, modern day Id apparently did not understand that simplicity is what made the original Doom (and their Doom 2016) work. They just felt like they had to add in a bunch of unnecessary shit to complicate things.
1) I agree with that
2) I think it improved the game to be more modern
3) Doom 1 and 2 had platform sections, some of which for secrets, some which would end in falling into a pit of lava/acid and scrambling about for a teleporter (who could forget the map "Traps" which had platforming to get to the exit and if you failed a "jump" or were too slow you'd have to restart the level!
4) The story was terrible, but then no one paid attention to the story in a Doom game.
5) Artwork was fine
6) Cartoony? Have you seen O.G Pinkies and Cacodemons?
7) eh?
8) The OG Dooms were very much like that. Some levels you could screw yourself over if you didn't have enough ammo
9) Agree.

Best single player shooter game of last gen ,
Doom has to be played a certain way to really appreciate what it's offering
Yes a toddler can play it on easy difficulty but it's meant to be played on hard difficulty and using the correct weapons on correct enemies.
When u really get the flow of combat it just rhymes and flows like water.
I highly recommend playing it's dlcz that's where it cranks the difficulty from 8 in hard difficulty to 20

Whitecrow

Banned
DE, and 2016 to an extent, have a very very different feel than OG Doom.

In the originals, you had this sense that you could die at any corner, or that at any button / card you pick, lights could go off and hell be unleashed.
You were always tense/scared navigating OG maps, not knowing what could happen next, and feeling just like a human with powerful weapons, trying to survive. The music also gave those games a very distinct and immersive atmosphere.

Now? Now is just 'there's some heavy metal music, exterminate all demons' again and again, while the game makes you feel like god and that you're capable of anything.
They went all the extra mile with the gameplay, but OG Doom was much more than just gameplay.

Hell, only the OG hud tells you that already. Seeing your face bleed more and more as you lose health, VS just another health bar... speaks volumes imo.

Last edited:

avin

Eternal might be the greatest FPS ever. People who prefer 2016 are just wrong 🤪
You have to see it in context, for the many of us raised on classic DOOM. Doom 2016 was what a reboot of an iconic franchise - I would say THE iconic franchise - should be. It took the feel of DOOM, and made it work, not just well, but brilliantly. And sure, DE took what worked and made it even better, but the joy of playing Doom again after all those years counts for a lot.

avin

K' Dash

I played the game in the highest difficulty available from the start… when I reached the final boss I was so exhausted that I put it in the lowest one and finished it.

I see why people love it, I’m just too old to play this twitchy FPS, don’t have the reflexes anymore.

It's the gaming equivalent of a fat teenager hopped up on five Monster energy drinks screaming in your face and just as annoying to me.

I think the endless arena-style encounters with random spawns of massive waves is exhausting and somehow boring at once, I hate the platforming, I loathe the shitty garish cartoon art style where even the UI looks bro-dude somehow, I hate the cutscenes and ChatGPT level story and lore...you name it. I think the game actually has great controls, game feel, great enemy damage models, some good level design (minus the atrocious platforming) and other elements but as an overall package, this is a level of lowbrow stupidity in an ironic self-aware way that does nothing for me.

I wish Doom had built on Doom 64 and Quake 1's atmosphere and taken that to the next level with truly grotesque, modern graphics Giger-ish art, those eerie soundtracks and isolated atmosphere. Maybe I read too much into those games but I grew up with PS1 port of Doom, Final Doom and Doom 64 mainly and I always considered them creepy and highly atmospheric games.

Scotty W

Gold Member
This. I would even prefer Doom 64 and dare I say it... Doom 3.
You people need to stop with the Doom 64 hype. It is NOT a great game. In fact, quite a bit of it is legit bad. Toward the the end, the levels start to get better, and the new Nightdive levels are good, but, let’s be real, I have played thousands of Doom levels, and Doom 64 is very far for the best.

It has that Wolfenstein 3D holdover of nondescript mazes in which you push a button and something happens somewhere in the level, and you have to go find it, with no sign if what it might be. The game has no qualms about using sudden death traps. All the enemies have been stripped of their personalities, and are now butt ugly. And etf is that last boss?

If this had not been officially released, it would be remembered only by a few hardcore modders. This is the last gasp of the prehistoric game design that ID largely left behind with Doom 2, which featured tangible environments.

And yes, I know the game has great atmosphere, but the game is in truth, a polished turd.

Last edited:
You people need to stop with the Doom 64 hype. It is NOT a great game. In fact, quite a bit of it is legit bad. Toward the the end, the levels start to get better, and the new Nightdive levels are good, but, let’s be real, I have played thousands of Doom levels, and Doom 64 is very far for the best.

It has that Wolfenstein 3D holdover of nondescript mazes in which you push a button and something happens somewhere in the level, and you have to go find it, with no sign if what it might be. The game has no qualms about using sudden death traps. All the enemies have been stripped of their personalities, and are now butt ugly. And etf is that last boss?

If this had not been officially released, it would be remembered only by a few hardcore modders. This is the last gasp of the prehistoric game design that ID largely left behind with Doom 2, which featured tangible environments.

And yes, I know the game has great atmosphere, but the game is in truth, a polished turd.
I don't disagree with most of your criticisms yet I'd still take it over the visual soup that is Doom '16 for example. I think THAT game is overhyped as hell as far as Doom goes. I'd still prefer surreal mazes over those idiotic "gore nest" arenas for like 80% of encounters any day.

I've been replaying Doom 64 actually and I still enjoy it a lot despite being a lot less than the originals. But no, it's not some masterpiece either imo.

It's just a shame that id has turned Doom into an ironic self-aware meme of a franchise. It's fucking dumb in a "hey kids how do you do lol" way and it feels cheap.

You have to see it in context, for the many of us raised on classic DOOM. Doom 2016 was what a reboot of an iconic franchise - I would say THE iconic franchise - should be. It took the feel of DOOM, and made it work, not just well, but brilliantly. And sure, DE took what worked and made it even better, but the joy of playing Doom again after all those years counts for a lot.

avin
Well I'am obviously joking people can obviously prefer 2016 over Eternal.

I don't have any nostalgia for OG dooms I only got to play them on the original playstation frankly they felt dated by then.

Saying that I loved 2016 but Eternal just blew it away.

It feels amazing to play but what stands out to me is how it teaches the player to "git gud"

It's incredible at teaching the player how to use all its mechanics while also being balls to wall hard.

That's rare games that are hard often restrict the player.

SABRE220

Its an amazing game and probably the best pure gameplay fps madness this gen but I think its predecessor was superior. The pacing was better and I think eternal just added too much clutter not to mention the plot became nonsensical quickly while 2016 was much more interesting with the mystery and tone...also I will never forgive them for removing the gauss cannon from eternal!

AndrewRyan

One of my favorite games, a masterpiece. FYI: It's easy to enable the unlimited ammo cheat code before any level by getting the floppy disk in level 5. Then play however you like, just like 2016 if you want. Sometimes I'll enable it when I'm tired and just want a fun shooting gallery- like the circus level in RAGE. There's lots of them to find; unlimited lives, unlimited chainsaw, etc. Also the DLC is great!

Crayon

I played 2015. Not a fan. Super high quality game and I can see why people like it but I found it to be an unfaithful resurrection. Seems like they were playing brutal Doom than the original game when they made it. Doom 3 was getting warmer to what I think the next doom would be, even if it's not as good a game. I also find the aggrocore attitude wears thin on me pretty quick.

Xdrive05

Eternal has a much higher payoff than Doom 2016, but you do have to "git gud" and earn it. The thing is that once you get the combat loop down, the payoff comes pretty automatically. Eternal might be may favorite FPS ever. It's just so tight and well crafted, and yes, it does have a "battle chess" aspect that expects you to be smart on your feet. But then you feel like a god for having done so, which is also in keeping with the story/character of Doom Guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom