• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I got the Ultra Nightmare achievement and completed Ultra Violence swimmingly with the default button mapping. Bumper jumping and bunny-hopping aren't as useful as some are preaching.
Yep, controls feel fantastic to me and I don't feel like they've been getting in my way at all. That's only because I'm a console peasant who has been denied enlightenment in my unremarkable existence though, of course.

sorry but is there any way to record gameplay on PC?

I used FRAPS which worked okay, I also used Nvidia's shadow play, although for that to work you have to turn on 'Allow desktop capture' because it's an open GL game. I had a crash to desktop while using shadow play (my first) and I haven't tested yet to see if I'm just starting to experience the crashes other people are or if shadow play exaserbated something.

Shadow play worked a lot better than FRAPS, but I didn't get any crashes with FRAPS. So... ymmv.

Xyber

I don't game on consoles anymore, but bumper jumper was my go-to for any game that had a lot of jumping and shooting. I learned to use it in Halo 3, took a few days and then I never wanted to go back again. It's so much better than jumping with A.

pa22word

Yep, controls feel fantastic to me and I don't feel like they've been getting in my way at all. That's only because I'm a console peasant who has been denied enlightenment in my unremarkable existence though, of course.

lol please spare me the denigrated denizen bullshit

The only thing I did was mention you might have an easier time if you opted for a control pad method which allows for better mobility, something which is far from a controversial opinion in the least bit.

I think we just need more Hell for the DLC/sequel. The Hell levels were the best part of DooM, even though the UAC base levels were fine. We didn't actually get THAT much Hell.

There's some fantastically abstract sky-boxes on the last level or so. Can't find the screenshot right now on my PS4, but you look off into the distance and see a strange temple against some mountains. There's no explanation for what it is or why it's there; it just is. A great tribute to some of the stranger levels of Doom 1.

OrangeOak

Sadly it seems we wait for vulkan. Shadowplay I've heard hates OGL, and AMD just hates OGL period.

I know some PC guys are twitching the game, so I'd guess the game might do decently with something, but idk what it would be.

Thank you. It's a shame though as bigger battles in campaign are so intense and packed with awesome moments that I would really like to record them.

I used FRAPS which worked okay, I also used Nvidia's shadow play, although for that to work you have to turn on 'Allow desktop capture' because it's an open GL game. I had a crash to desktop while using shadow play (my first) and I haven't tested yet to see if I'm just starting to experience the crashes other people are or if shadow play exaserbated something.

Shadow play worked a lot better than FRAPS, but I didn't get any crashes with FRAPS. So... ymmv.

Oh, so there is a chance! Will try that, thank you.

The only thing I did was mention you might have an easier time if you opted for a control pad method which allows for better mobility, something which is far from a controversial opinion in the least bit.
I'd say something that would get this thread in a ruckus but I won't.

Ironic that you told someone else to swallow their pride, heh.

please, spare me the "just a concerned citizen" bullshit. You've been two steps away from mentioning the PC master race in every post on this page, preaching the good word about the PC version being the way its meant to be played, for the love of God pls change your control method to the a closer equivalent of the PC spacebar and mouse!

Started playing this last night and didn't stop until almost 4am.

I just finished Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank, this was next on the list.

Loving it a lot, but I feel the challenges and looking for the secrets and such really ruins the pacing of the game. I don't want to stop to search around a level or backtrack, I just want to keep fighting.

I hate when games can't have that proper balance between both. It just ruins the pacing. Seeing as how you need to search for these collectibles to get a majority of the upgrades it quite dissapointing IMO.

dlauv

Yes, they are. Just because you can grind your way to some cheevos doesn't mean it wouldn't have been much easier if you'd swallowed your pride and taken the path of least resistance.

What about "swimmingly" makes you think I was grinding? According to some with M&K, getting the Ultra Nightmare cheevo was pretty difficult -- shouldn't it be doubly so for a pad player? Or triply, if not using the strafer configuration? Aside from the adjustment it took getting used to moving around a lot more after curb-stomping Ultra Nightmare, it was breezy (3rd try, like I said). I think bunny-hopping without the rune sacrifices your ability to change direction when you want to and is getting people killed. I simply didn't change because I didn't feel it was necessary. I like pushing a to jump. It felt comfortable, which is probably why it was the default control configuration. Quite a churlish leap in logic to assume I stringently refused to change the default controls to prove some pedantic point. If I felt the strafer configuration was worth recommending, I would. And maybe it would be worth it in multiplayer, but I use M&K for that.

pa22word

please, spare me the "just a concerned citizen" bullshit. You've been two steps away from mentioning the PC master race in every post on this page, preaching the good word about the PC version being the way its meant to be played, for the love of God pls change your control method to the a closer equivalent of the PC spacebar and mouse!

Just because I personally think the game plays better on a keyboard and mouse doesn't mean people can't have a satisfactory experience with the title on a pad--plenty of posts in this thread have proved that. This game in general is one that doesn't necessitate precision over accuracy anyways, so as long as you have a general control method that you can line up shots in a general direction towards an enemy you'll be fine.

I have nothing against pad warriors, honestly. I will disagree with them always, but that doesn't denigrate their opinion nor their choice. They have their reasons to prefer a pad and I have mine to prefer my keyboard. However for this game I would greatly suggest the "bumper jumper" option. The game just plays so much better when you have extra mobility that it would be remiss for me to not point that out when I see a player post a vid and take a ton of unnecessary damage that he could have easily avoided otherwise.

Just because I personally think the game plays better on a keyboard and mouse doesn't mean people can't have a satisfactory experience with the title on a pad--plenty of posts in this thread have proved that. This game in general is one that doesn't necessitate precision over accuracy anyways, so as long as you have a general control method that you can line up shots in a general direction towards an enemy you'll be fine.

I have nothing against pad warriors, honestly. I will disagree with them always, but that doesn't denigrate their opinion nor their choice. They have their reasons to prefer a pad and I have mine to prefer my keyboard. However for this game I would greatly suggest the "bumper jumper" option. The game just plays so much better when you have extra mobility that it would be remiss for me to not point that out when I see a player post a vid and take a ton of unnecessary damage that he could have easily avoided otherwise.
I did a lot of non-optimal stuff in that video. I killed like one enemy with quad damage, haha. It's the first time I've beaten that section, I'm not posting it because of how perfect it is.

My intention was to share one of the more hectic fights I've seen so far with the thread and allow people to get a glimpse of how intense they can be, particularly those who haven't played the game and are curious about it.

This game, and just about any shooter, would be easier on PC with M+K. There's no denying that. The thing is I don't have a gaming capable PC and I just want to have fun; I don't need to know my method is 100% ideal or flawless. Guess what? I haven't even collected all of the upgrade items or found all of the secrets to optimize my build. *gasp*

Regardless, I have nothing against constructive criticism. It's just a little less likely to stick when it's laced with elitism and snarkiness.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I never realized how much ADS slows down the flow of combat in FPS until I played this game. It feels very old-school, love it.

Lack of ADS means there's constant movement all the time, it makes the game's pace feel fast as fuck. Also no reloads :eek:

dlauv

He said Ultra Nightmare, right?

The cheevo is for beating the first level without dying.

Some people are having trouble with it, even M&K players. My point wasn't to brag, but to say as someone who isn't terribly good at games, that for all practical purposes the controller method isn't a big deal at all as far as the campaign is concerned. Nor is bunny hopping.

-MD-

KB/M is the way to go. Air mobility, glory distance/movement speed runes, just perfect.

Think I have 2 more chapters to go, kind of wish I went with whatever was above ultra-violence as it wasn't very challenging. Definitely one of the better FPS campaigns I've played through, I hope they do some single-player DLC.

pa22word

KB/M is the way to go. Air mobility, glory distance/movement speed runes, just perfect.

Think I have 2 more chapters to go, kind of wish I went with whatever was above ultra-violence as it wasn't very challenging. Definitely one of the better FPS campaigns I've played through, I hope they do some single-player DLC.

I wouldn't really worry about it.

Nightmare has the same issue all games with RPG mechanics do: inverse difficulty. The hardest part of nightmare is the first 3/4 levels. After that it's really not that much harder than UV.

I was trying to play some snapmaps last night and apparently they can force control schemes on you? Every snapmap I played last night was bumper jumper and I couldnt change it. I don't like bumper jumper :(

Shifty

I was trying to play some snapmaps last night and apparently they can force control schemes on you? Every snapmap I played last night was bumper jumper and I couldnt change it. I don't like bumper jumper :(

Have you checked the settings menu inside snapmap? I'm not sure how it works on console, but on PC the campaign, multi and snapmap have distinct control settings.

Have you checked the settings menu inside snapmap? I'm not sure how it works on console, but on PC the campaign, multi and snapmap have distinct control settings.

I have just incase I accidentally changed something. Ive been pretty much only been playing Snapmap the last 3 days and only yesterday was it bumper jumper.

Haines

Banned
I haven't tried the mp outside of the very average feeling beta.

Is it best I just avoid it and tinker with snapmap instead?

For instance I find uc4 mp completely void of anything special

Moff

I just don't understand snapmap, I haven't played anything that was even remotely enjoyable, and I adored the main game and even kinda like the multiplayer

EmSeta

I'm not necessarily looking for Hell on Earth for Doom 2016's sequel. Towns and cities and countryside are not going to lend themselves to the kind of level design that makes this game awesome. If it needs to be as abstract as Doom 2 (which is 'Earth' but doesn't look or feel anything like it) then is there really much point to doing it? Something tells me they aren't going to put story first if they do a follow up to this...

But when I think of the play spaces... I don't want anything recognizably Earth like. Again, they were doing that, and when they decided to put gameplay first, they set it on Mars and dropped any real pretense of the levels being anything other than interesting places to shoot stuff in.

Remember we're pretty far into the future, so there could be some trippy, vertical futuristic cityscapes on earth infused with plenty of imagination.

I haven't tried the mp outside of the very average feeling beta.

Is it best I just avoid it and tinker with snapmap instead?

For instance I find uc4 mp completely void of anything special
I wasn't thrilled with the beta either. I played about 10 or so matches after I bought the game to give it another chance and I feel the same way. I would say that if you didn't really enjoy the beta there is nothing here in the final release that would change your mind.

I just don't understand snapmap, I haven't played anything that was even remotely enjoyable, and I adored the main game and even kinda like the multiplayer

The only enjoyable ones I found were the survival ones (horde mode) with endless waves coming at increasing difficulty.

"Ultimate Survival" is the best i think atm.

You can purchase selectable demons to help you vs the wave by spending souls. it's really fun.

k3gQ4kt.jpg

Moff

The only enjoyable ones I found were the survival ones (horde mode) with endless waves coming at increasing difficulty.

"Ultimate Survival" is the best i think atm.

You can purchase selectable demons to help you vs the wave by spending souls. it's really fun.

k3gQ4kt.jpg

hmm that does sound like fun, I might give it a try

Izuna

Banned
Classic levels are actually really poor imo.

The mod "Classic Doom 3" worked a lot better.

It's even more poor when there is literally no reward for doing so, nor any end screen showing that I got all the secrets etc.

--

Anyway to follow up on my last post, I haven't been able to play this game much (maybe a level every 2 days), but it's really good on Nightmare. UV was a bit lacking but I understand that depends on the player. I'm still iffy on Glory Kills, but it is what it is.

Wolf: TNO > DooM in terms of raw gunplay, but DooM has its moments.

DooM on Nightmare kinda feels like playing Ninja Gaiden -- once you know what you're doing, the plan is to seldom get hit.

I shouldn't score this game but if I had to based on 3 Missions... it's a 7, where Wolf was pushing 10 by this point. I'm slowly getting into it but it isn't blowing my mind as much as it seems to with others. I cannot stress enough for people to try Wolf if you like this.

I've got this huge CTF map under construction in snapmap which I built taking inspiration from Classic Unreal Tournament, but given that it's 4 players only it seems kinda pointless...

Anyway, I've yet to guess how the points-per-flag-captured mechanic works, but I have been able to set two powered-up barons of hell that spawn in the base when the flag is captured. It really can offer a lot of possibilities if used correctly

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm on the fourth or fifth map and I am so in love with this game. I get giddy whenever I look at the map and zoom out... now this is great level design in a shooter. I can't help but comb the map for the upgrades since it's such a good help for that, but sometimes you really have to look around to catch the hidden passageways. I'm not getting every secret, but I love the feeling whenever I find one.

The design is one thing, but the combat feels great as well. Love the glory kills and weapon mods, combined with the runes.

Fast action, combined with exploration that gives you great rewards, and the upgrade system... This game has everything I'd want in a shooter, love it so much.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Remember we're pretty far into the future, so there could be some trippy, vertical futuristic cityscapes on earth infused with plenty of imagination.

A Hell on Earth scenario can also begin with Earth having already been overrun and transformed into a hellscape. Lots of potential for cities to be transformed into Giger-esque structures like this.

There was a pretty sizable section of the foundry map that I couldn't figure out how to access. The on the map it showed a path leading to it but in game there's a wall in the way.

NZerker12

Hey everyone I just want to let you know that I have recreated the first level from Duke Nukem 3D 'Hollywood Holocaust' in snapmap.

Name is 'Duke 3D Hollywood Holocaust'

tag is #nzerker12

I'm open to all critism and look forward to your feedback.

Top Bottom