• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange in The Multiverse of Madness | Spoiler Thread

The first movie is vastly superior to this one. There were some highlight moments, but they made Strange a bumbling idiot, compared to his newfound strength and wisdom; by the end of the first movie.(he learned a lot)
Disappointing and the visuals... man.. I thought they were going to do what they did in the first, but take it to 1,000,000... What in the fuck are they doing over there at Camp Feige? I have my doubts about how they handle Dr. Doom. I would be putting 25% of my creative resources into the building up of Dr. Doom. :messenger_weary::messenger_loudly_crying:

Futaleufu

And great way to reintroduce Reed Richards, by making him an idiot that immediately gets himself killed. If there's one thing I know about Mr. Fantastic is that he always has some kind of gadget/device ready, not in that universe I guess.

Ulysses 31

He doesn't know what he's talking about at all.

It's a waste of time to for anyone objective to watch more or put more effort into unless they want to review the reviewer. Which should be its own thread.

If there is something specific(and in detail[maybe even include your own thoughts on a show for a change]) that you can bring forward from the review instead of some general claim of its existence then maybe I'll engage. I'm not going to watch enough of the video to give monetary benefit to that vapid blowhard and his worthless opinions.
Sure he does, he describes the scene and then breaks it down. Should be easy for you to pick apart if he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Dunno where you're getting that from, it's spoiler thread and his long video spoils the whole movie with its breakdown.

I generally agree with his takes, there were a few small things I didn't. I already proposed you try and take down his takes on just the Defender Strange part in the beginning to show his worthless opinions.

Ulysses 31

And great way to reintroduce Reed Richards, by making him an idiot that immediately gets himself killed. If there's one thing I know about Mr. Fantastic is that he always has some kind of gadget/device ready, not in that universe I guess.
And his teammates just watched as he was turned into spaghetti... 👀

RAÏSanÏa

Sure he does, he describes the scene and then breaks it down. Should be easy for you to pick apart if he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Dunno where you're getting that from, it's spoiler thread and his long video spoils the whole movie with its breakdown.

I generally agree with his takes, there were a few small things I didn't. I already proposed you try and take down his takes on just the Defender Strange part in the beginning to show his worthless opinions.
Then it should be easy for you to transcribe.

RAÏSanÏa

You're the one describing the video with terms like worthless, baseless and faulty, it's up to you to show these things then.

I just posted the video as one I overall agree with.
Yup and that video is just shit and not worth giving any effort to. As you show yourself it's not even worth your effort to transcribe or even put in your own words.

Ulysses 31

Yup and that video is just shit and not worth giving any effort to. As you show yourself it's not even worth your effort to transcribe or even put in your own words.
Why should I do your work for you to prove claims I didn't even make? Says more about you unwilling to defend the positions you've taken.

RAÏSanÏa

Why should I do your work for you to prove claims I didn't even make? Says more about you unwilling to defend the positions you've taken.
I put my work in watching a few minutes of that shit.

It sounds more like you're just trying to boost that crap rather than give an honest opinion on Multiverse of Madness.

RAÏSanÏa

In fact I'm going to bet that, like others, you haven't even watched the show, that this video reflects your uninformed opinion and that is another reason you're being evasive.

Ulysses 31

I put my work in watching a few minutes of that shit.

It sounds more like you're just trying to boost that crap rather than give an honest opinion on Multiverse of Madness.
Point out the flaws you've seen so far then to show you have some basis for your conclusions then.

I don't get a cut of his YT money, seems like you're trying to deflect again instead of giving solid examples of how the video is wrong about anything.

I've already brought up issues with the movie earlier in the threat, feel free to rebut those to show how my opinions about the movie is wrong.
In fact I'm going to bet that, like others, you haven't even watched the show, that this video reflects your uninformed opinion and that is another reason you're being evasive.
Indeed, I haven't. Between this and another multi-hour breakdown of the movie I can point out some of the biggest flaws of the movie just fine.

I've already invited you to point out flaws in the video with just the Defender Strange in the beginning and you're the one being evasive about that.

RAÏSanÏa

Indeed, I haven't. Between this and another multi-hour breakdown of the movie I can point out some of the biggest flaws of the movie just fine.

I've already invited you to point out flaws in the video with just the Defender Strange in the beginning and you're the one being evasive about that.
Since you haven't watched the Multiverse of Madness your opinions have no basis except in the fantasy you were fed.

You can't even judge the review videos you're watching. You're stuck in a loop of ignorance.

Ulysses 31

Since you haven't watched the Multiverse of Madness your opinions have no basis except in the fantasy you were fed.

You can't even judge the review videos you're watching. You're stuck in a loop of ignorance.
Sure I can, I can look at the reasoning provided in the video and these seem solid enough. He plays the part of the movie that's being described and broken down. Enough context is given IMO to back up his takes.

I'm not reviewing the movie, I'm watching a breakdown of a movie. Big difference. I'm making no claims how entertaining the movie is to watch, I'm commenting on the craft of story telling and writing.

RAÏSanÏa

Sure I can, I can look at the reasoning provided in the video and these seem solid enough. He plays the part of the movie that's being described and broken down. Enough context is given IMO to back up his takes.

I'm not reviewing the movie, I'm watching a breakdown of a movie. Big difference. I'm making no claims how entertaining the movie is to watch, I'm commenting on the craft of story telling and writing.
You're fooling yourself with rationalizations to stay in your loop. There's no way for you to know what's being misrepresented and you don't care to.

It's good that's it's known that your opinions on these are completely irrational and uniformed.

Ulysses 31

You're fooling yourself with rationalizations to stay in your loop. There's no way for you to know what's being misrepresented and you don't care to.
Yet you can't point out anything you've judged worthless, baseless, faulty and now misrepresented in the video.

You keep making such judgements without willing to back those up with anything.
It's good that's it's known that your opinions on these are completely irrational and uniformed.
Then it should be easy for you to rebut anything I've brought up about the movie earlier in the thread.

RAÏSanÏa

Yet you can't point out anything you've judged worthless, baseless, faulty and now misrepresented in the video.

You keep making such judgements without willing to back those up with anything.

Then it should be easy for you to rebut anything I've brought up about the movie earlier in the thread.
The film is completely misrepresented in the review. There is nothing of value to take from the review.

That you imagine there is some value, from your place of complete ignorance, doesn't make it so.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

The film is completely misrepresented in the review. There is nothing of value to take from the review.

That you imagine there is some value, from your place of complete ignorance, doesn't make it so.
It's a breakdown, not a review though so you seem to be working off a wrong understanding already.

Movies can have faults that can be pointed out without having seen the movie itself. I've brought up examples of Obi-Wan Kenobi(Leia chases, trench coat scene) where it doesn't matter if you've seen the actual show itself.

If it goes into world building, consistency with previously established things, character developments, themes then that's harder to demonstrate to someone unfamiliar with all the source materials but with enough context provided it can still be done.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It's a breakdown, not a review though so you seem to be working off a wrong understanding already.

Movies can have faults that can be pointed out without having seen the movie itself. I've brought up examples of Obi-Wan Kenobi(Leia chases, trench coat scene) where it doesn't matter if you've seen the actual show itself.

If it goes into world building, consistency with previously established things, character developments, themes then that's harder to demonstrate to someone who hasn't seen all the source materials but with enough context provided it can still be done.
You don't even know if anything being said in that video regarding the movie is true.

The breakdown is inaccurate and stupid.

There is no way for you to judge a counter argument.

You're just scrambling to carry water for ignorance. It must be your bliss?
What is so appealing for your ignorace about this video? What does it confirm for you?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You don't even know if anything being said in that video regarding the movie is true.

The breakdown is inaccurate and stupid.

There is no way for you to judge a counter argument.

You're just scrambling to carry water for ignorance. It must be your bliss?
What is so appealing for your ignorace about this video? What does it confirm for you?
He shows the scene he's describing and then breaking it down so you can see if he's being nitpicky/whiney or just plain wrong in his takes.

Still no examples of inaccuracy or stupidity you say there is in the video. 🤷‍♂️

I don't see ignorance when takes are explained with enough context. Did you not see any issues with the movie at all in the grant scheme that is the MCU? I did you like the movie that much that you're so dismissive of a long and detailed breakdown of the movie?

RAÏSanÏa

He shows the scene he's describing and then breaking it down so you can see if he's being nitpicky/whiney or just plain wrong in his takes.

Still no examples of inaccuracy or stupidity you say there is in the video. 🤷‍♂️

I don't see ignorance when takes are explained with enough context. Did you not see any issues with the movie at all in the grant scheme that is the MCU? I did you like the movie that much that you're so dismissive of a long and detailed breakdown of the movie?
Still no examples of accuracy. Not going to post any of that shit and there is no way you're going to either and that is hilarious.

On some level you know it is garbage and can't do it yourself.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Still no examples of accuracy. Not going to post any of that shit and there is no way you're going to either and that is hilarious.

You know it is garbage and can't do it yourself.
I didn't bring up issues of accuracy, you did. So why would it be on me first to show otherwise?

You don't wanna defend the movie from the breakdown video and that's fine. :messenger_ok:

But when you come up with pre-judgements and other bad excuses I'll point those out.

Last edited:
That's wild someone would spend that much effort on movie they dislike. It speaks to the deep impact the movie can make.

The agenda of that individual must be really threatened by it.

Their opinions are worthless, but the dedication is something else. It's like they've gone insane and are sacrificing their life to complain about a movie.

Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Imagine getting this worked up over a youtube video-critique of a silly superhero movie.
Mauler is good stuff, you're just wallowing in fanboy rage because he takes apart a middling Marvel flick.

RAÏSanÏa

I didn't bring up issues of accuracy, you did. So why would it be on me first to show otherwise?

You don't wanna defend the movie from the breakdown fine and that's fine. :messenger_ok:

But when you come up with pre-judgements and other bad excuses I'll point those out.
I've complimented the movie and pointed to particular scenes. If you want to find those scenes in that so called breakdown and compare them that's up to you.

But you spend hours watching worthless breakdowns that confirm your already held opinions rather than the shows themselves.

You're into having your opinions confirmed and that is your entertainment.

Ulysses 31

I've complimented the movie and pointed to particular scenes. If you want to find those scenes in that so called breakdown and compare them that's up to you.

But you spend hours watching worthless breakdowns that confirm your already held opinions rather than the shows themselves.

You're into having your opinions confirmed and that is your entertainment.
Aren't you also engaged in confirmation bias if you don't wanna see counter-arguments though? :messenger_winking_tongue:

What does my opinion have to do with the opinion being presented in the video, though? Those still stand or fall on their own merits in the video.

Scarlet Witch's acting was also brought up but there's no issues with the acting itself but more with the realizations that character makes at that point that in the story.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Aren't you also engaged in confirmation bias if you don't wanna see counter-arguments though? :messenger_winking_tongue:

What does my opinion have to do with the opinion being presented in the video, though? Those still stand or fall on their own merits in the video.

Scarlet Witch's acting was also brought up but there's no issues with the acting itself but more with the realizations that character makes at that point that in the story.
Nope. Mine is an informed opinion with careful consideration to immediate responses.

Yours is completely uniformed with no consideration except for confirming your notions. There wasn't time for you to consider even if you had watched the film.

Flattery might work on you.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Nope. Mine is an informed opinion with careful consideration to immediate responses.

Yours is completely uniformed with no consideration except for confirming your notions. There wasn't time for you to consider even if you had watched the film.

Flattery might work on you.
You can be informed on things you weren't present of with enough relevant information about those. That isn't some wild concept.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GotG3 was great so I loaded up another MCU movie I skipped.

(Spoilers)

Yikes. Such a waste of a followup to the first Dr. Strange.

Instead of Batman Begins on Acid it’s a rusty carnival ride. Disposable moment after disposable moment, all meaningless and uninteresting. The camera keeps tilting and spinning as if that will distract us from every scene being full CG on a soundstage.

Wowee, slightly different things happen in this universe, like red lights being green lights! Captain Marvel is a different angry lady this time! Spectacular. We get a 10 second montage of all the wildly different possibilities and it settles on the one that's basically the same. No wonder Everything Everywhere got so much praise for actually utilizing its many worlds.

Absolutely creatively bankrupt. And it doesn't manage fundamental storytelling, either. Character writing and motivations are paper thin as we get tossed from one shiny object to the next. Don't let Wanda get the book. Let's get the other book to stop the book! What exactly is the deal with this book, how does it fit into the universe, why did no one care about it before? Don't stop long enough to ask questions. MacGuffins can work if you care about the protagonist's journey, but I don't know what exactly there is to care about here.

Power levels and abilities are wildly inconsistent, basically arbitrary. Wanda is one of the most powerful entities in the cosmos, virtually unlimited power to reshape reality, per the expository dialogue early on, but most of the time she basically just shoots red energy from her hands to counter other energy beams or grab things. The sorcerers society fights her with cannons. Then in Earth-345743985, Mr. Fantastic just walks up to her and gets turned to mush, Black Bolt loses his mouth, but then she fights most everyone else with just her energy bolts. Captain Marvel dies to some rubble? Okay then. And the deaths of alternate characters are so casual. Multiverse characters don't even care when their comrades die because like the audience they also know they're throwaway gimmicks. Such a waste of Mr. Fantastic and Black Bolt just to set things up for Lady Captain America and Other Lady Captain Marvel, whose abilities we've already seen plenty of.

Dr. Strange's character gets almost nothing to work with besides fighting and one-dimensionally pouting over his ex-girlfriend. But none of the other characters are much better. Wanda's motivations are ridiculous.

It was a real struggle to get through this one.

Pagusas

Elden Member

(Spoilers)

Instead of Batman Begins on Acid it’s a rusty carnival ride. Disposable moment after disposable moment, all meaningless and uninteresting. The camera keeps tilting and spinning as if that will distract us from every scene being full CG on a soundstage.

Wowee, slightly different things happen in this universe, like red lights being green lights! Captain Marvel is a different angry lady this time! Spectacular. We get a 10 second montage of all the wildly different possibilities and it settles on the one that's basically the same. No wonder Everything Everywhere got so much praise for actually utilizing its many worlds.

Absolutely creatively bankrupt. And it doesn't manage fundamental storytelling, either. Character writing and motivations are paper thin as we get tossed from one shiny object to the next. Don't let Wanda get the book. Let's get the other book to stop the book! What exactly is the deal with this book, how does it fit into the universe, why did no one care about it before? Don't stop long enough to ask questions. MacGuffins can work if you care about the protagonist's journey, but I don't know what exactly there is to care about here.

Power levels and abilities are wildly inconsistent, basically arbitrary. Wanda is one of the most powerful entities in the cosmos, virtually unlimited power to reshape reality, per the expository dialogue early on, but most of the time she basically just shoots red energy from her hands to counter other energy beams or grab things. The sorcerers society fights her with cannons. Then in Earth-345743985, Mr. Fantastic just walks up to her and gets turned to mush, Black Bolt loses his mouth, but then she fights most everyone else with just her energy bolts. Captain Marvel dies to some rubble? Okay then. And the deaths of alternate characters are so casual. Multiverse characters don't even care when their comrades die because like the audience they also know they're throwaway gimmicks. Such a waste of Mr. Fantastic and Black Bolt just to set things up for Lady Captain America and Other Lady Captain Marvel, whose abilities we've already seen plenty of.

Dr. Strange's character gets almost nothing to work with besides fighting and one-dimensionally pouting over his ex-girlfriend. But none of the other characters are much better. Wanda's motivations are ridiculous.

Basically all my thoughts in it summed up quit well. This was the film I now look back on and say “Marvel lost the plot”. Yeah there were bad films before it like Black Widow, and throw away films like 10 rings, but this one was suppose to be the Tent Pole phase 4 film that moved the MCU along, and instead it felt like a bunch of pointless nothing.

The first Strange film was a fun beautiful ride and felt semi grounded, just like the first Iron Man. This film felt like a cartoon by comparison. I really wish Marvel would go back to semi-grounding the films in some sort of fashion to help connect with it more and make the really out of this world scenes feel more special and spectacular. When everything is crazy over the top every scene, nothing feels earned or special anymore.

(Spoilers)

You summed up my point, but in a much more eloquent manner. I find myself watching DS1 a few times, where I feel DS2 is a one and done, unless you're a fucking Disney Maniac (Lmao!)
They had a big setup for Dr. Strange and... they make the whole sequel about fucking, Wanda...:messenger_poop::lollipop_poop:

BlackTron

I must agree, I think this is the movie that needed to be truly great to keep the wheels from flying off the machine. I think a lot of people saw it, expecting more, and then just fell off the face of the planet, having languished through all the TV shows and meh movies for the hyped tentpole release. And it ended up just being another whatever Marvel movie you catch once and never see again. This is the moment the world ran out of steam and gave up.

Lunarorbit

This is the last marvel movie I enjoyed. Haven't seen gog3 but I literally feel asleep during black widow.

Florence Pughs character was horrible, almost as bad as the women who can walk through walls in antman 2

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I thought the movie was pretty fun but definitely flawed. One of my favorite scenes was when Doctor Strange did the whole dream walking thing and summoned up those damned souls to function as his wings. I have to admit that was a pretty awesome moment and you don't see too many things like that on film.

But damn, re-watching the movie there's so much woke virtue signaling in here. Everything from the trans rights patch that the little girl wears on her jacket to the fact both her parents are women. I even heard the Thor movie which came out after Doctor Strange has the rock guy has two male parents.

It's like there's no creativity left and it's all just a way to push some kind of agenda. But we all known that for a while.

It's just like how video games no longer have male and female character creation and call it body type now. Ugh.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But damn, re-watching the movie there's so much woke virtue signaling in here. Everything from the trans rights patch that the little girl wears on her jacket to the fact both her parents are women. I even heard the Thor movie which came out after Doctor Strange has the rock guy has two male parents.

Who cares?

Is there any reason why that kid shouldn't have a patch on her jacket? Any more or less than why Tom Cruise should or shouldn't have a Taiwan patch on his jacket in Top Gun Maverick? Is there any good reason why the parents shouldn't be two women? Is there any good reason why the rock creature shouldn't have two "male" parents? They're not even "male". They're rock aliens.

The mind virus is making you mad at things you don't even need to be mad at. Just chill bro.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought the movie was pretty fun but definitely flawed. One of my favorite scenes was when Doctor Strange did the whole dream walking thing and summoned up those damned souls to function as his wings. I have to admit that was a pretty awesome moment and you don't see too many things like that on film.

It's like there's no creativity left and it's all just a way to push some kind of agenda. But we all known that for a while.

It's just like how video games no longer have male and female character creation and call it body type now. Ugh.
The movie has about 1000 problems. A girl having two moms isn't one of them.

Top Bottom