• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport: Is 4K 60fps + Ray Tracing Really Possible on Series X?

Banned
Both PS5 and XSX are slightly above RTX 2080 in GPU metrics besides RT throughput actually.

show me a single game that runs better than on an RTX2080, slightly above would basically mean 2080 Super I guess...

I have not seen a single game running at 2080 Super levels of performance on either console

I've watches some Grid Legends footage and to me, Forza MS feels more like a grid legends game (same kinda colour pallet) then a GT competitor in that area. GT is using a way more realistic lighting over the track and cars. Some daytime races look less realistic in GT7 but most others look so great. But we have to see more of FMS.

FM looks a bit to colourful what makes it less realistic looking in the lighting.
I really dont get this way of thinking, light and colour in the real world can be just like that. Forza is using for replays RTGI which is far more realistic than GT7.

PaintTinJr

Come on, this must be trolling now.
You can't really say that on a technical level with a straight face
No, straight up, my HDR reference screen (like the one in the Death Stranding Kojima productions video: Sony KD-65ZD9 or Z9D outside the UK) with PS3 in Deep Color mode in actual racing - on the ribbon - looks superior to FH5 in 60fps with VRR enabled on my friends LG OLED(C1?) because of the 8bit colouration on FH5 and the muddy lossy colour tones from texture compression.

The X1 Extreme chip scaling on the ZD9 makes the resolution difference unnoticeable - but that's true of even running the base PS4 death stranding on it compared to a PS4 Pro - and the colour precision and uncompressed textures in GT6 look super clean allowing the full brightness of the screen to accentuate the full range of brightness and darkness the game delivers using floating point lighting.

There may well be other visual fx in FH5 60fps mode that aren't in GT6, I couldn't say, because the colour accuracy and highlight clipping still have a 360 gamma look about it, and to be fair I see that problem in all xbox 1st party games, so it is probably a DX API issue or because of cross-gen with the X1. It is partly why rate adaptive compression is needed if the artist isn't able to use uncompressed textures, because getting the compression choice wrong can waste a lot of the lighting range on capable hardware.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Come on, this must be trolling now.
You can't really say that on a technical level with a straight face
he will spout some technical nonsense and expect you to believe everything he says bcoz "muh technical knowledge". even from the most basic stuff, he will create complex scenarios and make weird assumptions and come to weird conclusions

he went to the lengths to accuse me of changing camera angles slightly (a slight change in camera view, like a %5 deviation can result %50 performance difference according to their sophisticated takes for example)

this has been the final straw for me

Last edited:

yamaci17

show me a single game that runs better than on an RTX2080, slightly above would basically mean 2080 Super I guess...

I have not seen a single game running at 2080 Super levels of performance on either console

also, most other games use dynamic resolution + 60 fps cap which will cause the console to have %5-10 performance headroom in most cases. that 5-10 headroom will easily make them surpass a 2080 easily.

easy example: i use halo infinite as a metric, change the res to 4k, im getting 45 frames on my 3070 at %99 util

i set the dynamic resolution target 60 fps, i get a locked 60 fps with %85-90 gpu utilization. dynamic resolution leaves %10-15 headroom for resolution tweaks. this is the case with other many titles, even on PC, when you target a FPS with dynamic resolution, engine will leave %5 to %15 GPU headroom to make sure there's enough room to tweak the resolution upwards or backwards. this is why its not logical to say "see, in this game it is tad bit below rtx 2080" when in reality, xbox/ps5 console is most likely having a headroom

in above example, ps5 is running at native raw 4k mode, and can't lock to a 60, so its a rare example where see this comparison without the meddling of: frame cap and dynamic resolution

and how surprising! it runs a tad bit above rtx 2080.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Replay modes are in game as well tho, and if you think this is the only racing franchise that has done that, you're in for a surprise.
No he was talking about how MS said the game is 4k/60 with RT at all times, rather than simply stating theirs a disparity between ingame and replay…

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No he was talking about how MS said the game is 4k/60 with RT at all times, rather than simply stating theirs a disparity between ingame and replay…

What?
There is RT at all times!

In the two trailers RT Gi is not even mentioned. That is later clarified in a dev interview.

Last edited:

onesvenus

No, straight up, my HDR reference screen (like the one in the Death Stranding Kojima productions video: Sony KD-65ZD9 or Z9D outside the UK) with PS3 in Deep Color mode in actual racing - on the ribbon - looks superior to FH5 in 60fps with VRR enabled on my friends LG OLED(C1?) because of the 8bit colouration on FH5 and the muddy lossy colour tones from texture compression.

The X1 Extreme chip scaling on the ZD9 makes the resolution difference unnoticeable - but that's true of even running the base PS4 death stranding on it compared to a PS4 Pro - and the colour precision and uncompressed textures in GT6 look super clean allowing the full brightness of the screen to accentuate the full range of brightness and darkness the game delivers using floating point lighting.

There may well be other visual fx in FH5 60fps mode that aren't in GT6, I couldn't say, because the colour accuracy and highlight clipping still have a 360 gamma look about it, and to be fair I see that problem in all xbox 1st party games, so it is probably a DX API issue or because of cross-gen with the X1. It is partly why rate adaptive compression is needed if the artist isn't able to use uncompressed textures, because getting the compression choice wrong can waste a lot of the lighting range on capable hardware.
Ok, you are definitely trolling

yamaci17

Ok, you are definitely trolling
yeah that extreme chip can make ps3's 720p resolution look similar to the xbox sx's native 4k presentation

i suggest nvidia and amd and epic and other devs to drop temporal reconstruction, dlss, fsr immediately. just add that special sauce x1 scaling chip that makes 720p rendering look like native 4k. that way we can push graphics to the moon, targeting 720p while retaining that sweet native 4k look

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

But there *is* RT on all times.

During races and actual game play = RT reflections
"Other" modes (replays, garage etc) = RT reflections with higher fidelity + RT Global Illumination

The 4K/60 part came from elsewhere where the team was talking about it, that wasn't something DF made up or broke news on.

Three

Yes but the lighting on a tech level is very impressive, perhaps it's colour grading that some don't like?
It's something that Forza has done for a while it's especially noticeable in Bathurst where it reminds me of this meme from breaking bad

0mjewzolp2j61.jpg

Swap mexico for Australia and breaking bad for forza.

It's something that Forza has done for a while it's especially noticeable in Bathurst where it reminds me of this meme from breaking bad

0mjewzolp2j61.jpg

I'm not noticing like that in the new Forza, obviously the lighting engine is new so may not be an issue. If you're correct and it's an artistic decision.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

0mjewzolp2j61.jpg

How ironic that the latest Forza is set in Mexico and it has one of the most accurate lighting representation of Mexico.
m0WQAz3.jpg

RevKZS4.jpg

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've only been able to watch the trailer on tv last night as I only had access to a phone last week and I know it's early days yet but I hope they sort that tree pop in before release as that is really distracting for me. I'd rather them not have RT and no distracting pop in.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
yeah that extreme chip can make ps3's 720p resolution look similar to the xbox sx's native 4k presentation

i suggest nvidia and amd and epic and other devs to drop temporal reconstruction, dlss, fsr immediately. just add that special sauce x1 scaling chip that makes 720p rendering look like native 4k. that way we can push graphics to the moon, targeting 720p while retaining that sweet native 4k look
It's a wonder they didn't use it in the PS5.

I hope T10 offers better settings for PC users than what Playground did in Forza Horizon 5. I have all kinds of headroom and my GPU isn't exactly cutting edge stuff anymore, my CPU never was.

Three

You only said Forza and the new Forza Motorsport uses improved technique for there lighting and environment details with there new engine.

Great, it was pretty obvious that somebody was asking about FM. it's what the thread is about and what they were referring to as a colour grading in FM. Why even bring FH up like I was talking about it because I said forza? Official FM8 shots

Forza-Motorsport-8-ray-tracing.jpg

I'm saying it's just something Forza Motorsport has always done. It's very much like the mexico filter in breaking bad.

Last edited:

yamaci17

John on DF has just described Forza as the proper new gen step up, seems very impressed with what they have seen.
i agree, especially considering the ray tracing load. literally all cars will reflect upon each other, that's what I call progress. i hope we can see reflections in reflections, that's what I crave most from ray tracing

Turk1993

Great, it was pretty obvious that somebody was asking about FM. it's what the thread is about and what they were referring to as a colour grading in FM. Why even bring FH up like I was talking about it because I said forza? Official FM8 shots

I'm saying it's just something Forza Motorsport has always done. It's very much like the mexico filter in breaking bad.
Ow really, because i see more GT6, GT7 and FH5 in here than FM so i thought maybe this thread was about all type of racing games. And the lighting in that shot is incredible and looks really life like, the depth and the atmosphere is top notch. Also real life can look like that or even more orange.
open-uri20120930-11850-4dsxvc.jpg

DSC6603-1200x800.jpg

09-16-OWard-Laguna.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Looks really good 👍

Three

Ow really, because i see more GT6, GT7 and FH5 in here than FM so i thought maybe this thread was about all type of racing games. And the lighting in that shot is incredible and looks really life like, the depth and the atmosphere is top notch. Also real life can look like that or even more orange.

DSC6603-1200x800.jpg

09-16-OWard-Laguna.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg
Those are filters too buddy. Do you think they CGI'd mexico in breaking bad or something. It's "real life" too. Don't be upset.

UnNamed

Banned
This game will have a huge impact on Series S unless they remove RT reflection entirely and reduce RT GI in some way. Series S has a powerful CPU but the GPU simply isn't there, it's not enough powerful for (these) next gen features.

yamaci17

This game will have a huge impact on Series S unless they remove RT reflection entirely and reduce RT GI in some way. Series S has a powerful CPU but the GPU simply isn't there, it's not enough powerful for (these) next gen features.
series s runs metro exodus with full RTGI at 60 fps

it can target 30 fps at 720p and easily get away. 720p 30 fps is a point most series s users will accept. there are no problems on that front. its just a 300 bucks console no one has high expectations out of it

what is the name of the lady btw_

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

DSC6603-1200x800.jpg

09-16-OWard-Laguna.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg
Bro, lol. Those are camera filters.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They look just a little warm to me. Mainly just the last one. Filters is probably not the word you are looking for.
Post processed, photshopped, tweaked, whatever you want to use. "Filter" is just the easier Laymen's in todays world of Instagram and Snapchat.

Not taking anything away from the game, but "tweaked" photos are not the gotcha we are looking for.

Post processed, photshopped, tweaked, whatever you want to use. "Filter" is just the easier Laymen's in todays world of Instagram and Snapchat.

Not taking anything away from the game, but "tweaked" photos are not the gotcha we are looking for.
The first 3 are 100% possible real likeness. It looks like that every 2nd or 3rd evening here for 5 minutes.

Turk1993

Those are filters too buddy. Do you think they CGI'd mexico in breaking bad or something. It's "real life" too. Don't be upset.
You've never been to a warm country did you? There are millions of pics with that kind of lighting in real life. Even last summer here in Belgium we had full orange glowy sky.

Bro, lol. Those are camera filters.
Every photo has a filter if you look it that way, there are tons of pics that all look the same. Do you think they just put some orange layer over the sky everytime the sun gets lower? You guys need to go outside more man.
8fdcd39fbb_bathurst-12-hours.jpg

They look just a little warm to me. Mainly just the last one. Filters is probably not the word you are looking for.
thats the first photo with orange sky that comes up on google search when i search for MT panorama. Here is another one, google image is filled with pics like this and yet they call it all filter and act like real life doens't have orange skies.
Bathurst_opening.jpg

Also here is a video if you think the pics are all photoshopped to make them orange

Looks pretty orange to me
sJhZKPf.jpg

We get those sepia air skies too every few days here as well. It always looks more intense in photos however.
Not always. I've had photography as a hobby for 25 years now. There is often a few minute window that legit is what it can look like and anyone who is into photography has specifically gone out looking for things to photograph at that time. It could very well just be edited, but the warmth is not impossible or even unlikely.

Turk1993

Not always. I've had photography as a hobby for 25 years now. There is often a few minute window that legit is what it can look like and anyone who is into photography has specifically gone out looking for things to photograph at that time. It could very well just be edited, but the warmth is not impossible or even unlikely.
Me too man, im a semi pro photographer and those lighting conditions are nothing that you don't see outside at the right time and day.

Three

You've never been to a warm country did you? There are millions of pics with that kind of lighting in real life. Even last summer here in Belgium we had full orange glowy sky.

Every photo has a filter if you look it that way, there are tons of pics that all look the same. Do you think they just put some orange layer over the sky everytime the sun gets lower? You guys need to go outside more man.
8fdcd39fbb_bathurst-12-hours.jpg

thats the first photo with orange sky that comes up on google search when i search for MT panorama. Here is another one, google image is filled with pics like this and yet they call it all filter and act like real life doens't have orange skies.
Bathurst_opening.jpg

Also here is a video if you think the pics are all photoshopped to make them orange

Looks pretty orange to me
sJhZKPf.jpg

I've never been to a warm country? I was born there you fool. Wtf are you on about? Did you know Breaking bad is a motion picture too? Crazy I know.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is true, I remember my ex who did photography, and she would wait for that right time here in the sub-tropics to get that shot. Would mention a small window, etc..

Me too man, im a semi pro photographer and those lighting conditions are nothing that you don't see outside at the right time and day.
Awesome. I'm still rockin my 2 20d's(one is infrared)
This is true, I remember my ex who did photography, and she would wait for that right time here in the sub-tropics to get that shot. Would mention a small window, etc..
Exactly. I like to point to RDR 2 and how amazing everything looked all the time. There were a bunch of videos at the time showing some dude at the river and how real life doesn't look that good. I'm thinking yeah you are there on an overcast afternoon of course it doesn't look good. Nice lighting for portraits though. Go back to that river every day for the next month at sunset or sunrise and I can assure you at least once for a few minutes real life will look that good.

Turk1993

I've never been to a warm country? I was born there you fool. Wtf are you on about? Did you know Breaking bad is a motion picture too? Crazy I know.
This is the 3th time you mention breaking bad and mexico piss filter, what has it to do with Forza? You where born there and yet you didn't see skies like that while there are tons of video's and pics? You need to go outside more buddy ;).
So you compare this with Forza
786161.jpg

161544-games-news-feature-everything-we-know-about-forza-motorsport-trailers-gameplay-and-more-image1-sp2ocxkefr.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom