• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport: Is 4K 60fps + Ray Tracing Really Possible on Series X?

l2ounD

Steering wheels actually turn 180 degrees rather than 90 for the first time in the franchise. Thank fucker!

Looking forward to seeing some proper on board footage in the future to see the updated animations

1ni8Iw6.png
They actually did it..

ParaSeoul

Show me a single device that uses all of its performance.

If you max out the CPU on some random CPU task the GPU will not be fed... If you max out the GPU the frame rate will drop and the CPU will waste time waiting between frames (this is not even taking into account IO and memory subsystems).
Nothing has everything at 100% load all the time of course but consoles have been able to outperform equivalent pc hardware for a while. Better optimization because of it being a fixed platform and APIs that get the most out of the hardware.

Let's put the nail on this dumb breaking bad comparison going on please, clearly the game will have a dynamic range of lighting and ToD variety, and not the same all the time.

2023-forza-motorsport-1655132060.jpeg

Forza_Motorsport-XboxGamesShowcase2022-PressKit-01-16x9_WM-b6ff1706073060737e4f.jpg

Forza_Motorsport-XboxGamesShowcase2022-PressKit-10-16x9_WM-76568d3fa79d335b8293%20%281%29.jpg
Game looks amazing, if the visuals are close to this when I'm playing on my Series X I'll be blown away! Even more exciting is the supposed 48 times the physics fidelity of Forza 7, I really want to feel proper next gen physics.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Great, it was pretty obvious that somebody was asking about FM. it's what the thread is about and what they were referring to as a colour grading in FM. Why even bring FH up like I was talking about it because I said forza? Official FM8 shots

Forza-Motorsport-8-ray-tracing.jpg

I'm saying it's just something Forza Motorsport has always done. It's very much like the mexico filter in breaking bad.

That could be a time of day thing with lighting set to dusk or something. we don't know yet

Three

That could be a time of day thing with lighting set to dusk or something. we don't know yet
The sun is visible in the full shot. set at dusk or not that is a colour graded shot and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's probably an edited image and you get a lot of those with GT and Forza marketing material because RL even at dusk is kind of boring and ordinary in comparison. Example of what colour grading people apply to dusk/dawn because it's less boring:

The game will likely have more natural lighting with a less pronounced colour grading in gameplay. It's just bizarre somebody getting upset or taking offense to something being hyperreal/colour graded though. to the point where they try and distort what it is and suggesting obviously colour graded videos are not by pointing to videos that aren't.

Last edited:
The sun is visible in the full shot. set at dusk or not that is a colour graded shot and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's probably an edited image and you get a lot of those with GT and Forza marketing material because RL even at dusk is kind of boring and ordinary in comparison. Example of what colour grading people apply to dusk/dawn because it's less boring:

The game will likely have more natural lighting with a less pronounced colour grading in gameplay. It's just bizarre somebody getting upset or taking offense to something being hyperreal/colour graded though. to the point where they try and distort what it is and suggesting obviously colour graded videos are not by pointing to videos that aren't.

Buddy give it up for everyone's sake 👍

Or you know they just make all the sunsets look great because boring sunsets suck. It's not a lighting simulator. It's a game they want to look it's best as often as it can. All games with dynamic lighting and tod always have nice sunsets. Every single evening is a near perfect sunset in games. Grading is not necessarily the culprit.

Three

Or you know they just make all the sunsets look great because boring sunsets suck. It's not a lighting simulator. It's a game they want to look it's best as often as it can. All games with dynamic lighting and tod always have nice sunsets. Every single evening is a near perfect sunset in games. Grading is not necessarily the culprit.
I'm sure we'll get the gameplay shot next year and it will look great but that's not the point. It's sunsets in real life being compared to processed shots/videos in real life, being passed off as not processed too and saying this is what it looks like. I'll drop it though, there's nothing more to say.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

I'm sure we'll get the gameplay shot next year and it will look great but that's not the point. It's sunsets in real life being compared to processed shots/videos in real life, being passed off as not processed too and saying this is what it looks like. I'll drop it though, there's nothing more to say.
How amazing that you say all of this and post a color grading video thats been captured in LOG as if LOG captured video is how it really looks in real life lmao. BTW for the people that don't know what LOG is,
"What is Log. To put it simply, Logarithmic footage, generally known as Log, is flat footage that contains more details of the scene it's baking into the image. This kind of footage is not intended to be used without editing so it needs further alterations to be used as the final footage."
So basicly a super flat file which is far from reality and far from the Go Pro or broadcast captures that we have shared, unless you edit it too look real!
Just look at the example and look how flat the LOG file looks compared to the normal capture and HDR capture. If that looks like real life to you than you have some problems buddy.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'll drop it though, there's nothing more to say.
sure-well-see-saturday-night-live.gif

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Y'all still talking about color grading :messenger_fearful:
Im sorry but i have ignored his last 3 posts even with all the bullshit he wrote, but he still kept going. He just draggs this shit out. Lets see if hes really gonna drop it like he said in his last post.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The spectacular speed and fluidity of racing simulation games means they often demonstrate the pinnacle of next-gen graphical capability. Forza Motorsport’s eighth entry, slated for release in Spring 2023, showcases an incredible level of realism, a technical next-gen powerhouse.

Developer Turn 10 Studios outlined numerous of its innovative and novel features in the gameplay revealed at the recent Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase; overhauled car handling and physics, dynamic weather and ambient track temperatures that affect car handling and grip, and realistic bodywork damage highlight some of the generational leaps Forza Motorsport is making. However, it’s the games graphical bar raising that’ll be the focus of this feature; incredibly detailed trackside environments, exceptional lighting in a day-night cycle, and perhaps most headline grabbing, Turn 10 Studios’ claim Forza Motorsport will run at native output resolutions at 60 frames per second, with real-time on-track ray tracing – that’s ray tracing enabled as you’re hurtling round the track, not just limited to photo modes and instant replays.

Neo_game

I already gave you the scientific reason behind the orange glow, you chose to continue with its not realistic line, when in fact it is realistic as far as a game can be. You were also wrong about the base resolution so I again corrected you, but you ignored once again the facts. I wasn't trying to make you look silly but why continue with your line of thinking when you've been proven wrong?

lol why so serious. You can't tell me what looks realistic lol. May be I should give them benefit of doubt for because it is a fictional track and they went for beauty than realism. But going by trailer as well this so called brand new engine for current gen is very similar to ego engine from Codemasters 👎

lol why so serious. You can't tell me what looks realistic lol. May be I should give them benefit of doubt for because it is a fictional track and they went for beauty than realism. But going by trailer as well this so called brand new engine for current gen is very similar to ego engine from Codemasters 👎
Ego engine? Really?

Top Bottom