• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Update Nerfs All Five Classes - Players are pissed

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They should really fucking change the camera distance,

Whatever fucking retard greenlit that shit need to be flushed

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I can understand why people are mad at the update, but it seems to me like they've nerfed the single build people are using for each class, rather than the entire class itself

I don't see much of an issue with them making more builds viable

No, they nerfed everything and then on top of that nerfed specific builds.

Forsythia

Is it really that bad? Will this hinder the battle pass progression? I would like to play other games the coming 3 months, you know.

Skifi28

I can't speak about the specifics of the patch, but I do prefer nerfing stuff instead of constantly buffing everything like they did with Diablo 3. They kept buffing characters and then they had to constantly add more difficulties and then they would buff characters again and so on. I remember loging in after a month only to find all my characters one-shotting absolutely everything, which while fun at first just killed the game for me eventually. I much prefer a curated and balanced approach to my ARPGs instead of the wild west Diablo 3 ended up becoming.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

No, they nerfed everything and then on top of that nerfed specific builds.
Seems from the patch notes the only builds that have been nerfed are the godlike overpowered one's

I can understand people being mad at certain nerfs, but complaining that your game breaking OP build is now not as good as it was seems a little silly to me

If people that play the game want it to have any sort of long term relevance, they can't have silly builds doing billions of damage running around, so nerfing builds like this makes sense tbh

Saying your barb takes a second to kill a world boss solo rather than half a second, I mean are you even enjoying the game at this point with characters that OP?

Last edited:

Braag

Yeah, this patch has not done the game any favors. High level NM dungeons were incredibly hard already and uber Lilith also was incredibly hard.
So Blizzard not only nerfed all the best builds but also overall did a major cut to damage output as well as defenses and armor in order to have players do way less dmg and be more squishy. Now those very hard end game stuff is even harder.
I immediately noticed the difference when I played the game after patch.

Players are playing 8hrs/day EVERY DAY and literally RACING to demolish every ounce of content - and then when multiple players have, they complain there's no way to progress beyond each other.

Slowing it down is a GOOD thing. Those players need to have thier internet taken away for a while.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Doesn’t matter to me I already beat it and have no interest in doing anything else. The whole game was a big step down from D3.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Players are playing 8hrs/day EVERY DAY and literally RACING to demolish every ounce of content - and then when multiple players have, they complain there's no way to progress beyond each other.

Slowing it down is a GOOD thing. Those players need to have thier internet taken away for a while.
That is not most players though, so they nerf everyone just to hinder the sweat lords? if I played D4 I'd be pissed because I would be a regular player getting kicked in the nuts by blizzard for reasons that are nothing to do with me.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I thought people were acting bitchy as usual but i checked reddit and the patch notes and for someone who hasnt played it yet, I can easily tell Blizzard are a bunch of fucking retards lmao. They even increased teleport timer for absolutely no reason at all. Holy shit is the game a slog.

ckas6v4k1vcb1.png

Friday:

Happy Guitar GIF by IFHT Films

Last edited:

Mephisto40

That is not most players though, so they nerf everyone just to hinder the sweat lords? if I played D4 I'd be pissed because I would be a regular player getting kicked in the nuts by blizzard for reasons that are nothing to do with me.
They haven't nerfed EVERYBODY though

They've nerfed the people that have steamrolled through the levels using broken builds, and now those people are complaining because it takes 2 seconds to kill a world boss solo instead of 1 second, which is ridiculous

The only nerf that's effecting everybody is the vulnerability nerf, which they've done to stop people steamrolling the content and then complaining they have nothing else to do

It's funny how everybody now thinks they are a hardcore min max diablo player now just because they followed a guide on maxroll that has now been nerfed

Do people honstely want every player running around with the same build destroying everything on the screen in half a second?

This pretty much sums up the latest overeaction from the "fanbase"

Can't get to lvl 100 in a week with godly overpowered classes? CRY!

Can't find every single unique drop in the game in a week? CRY!!

Can't do 1 trillion damage with any class and kill Uber Lilith in 30 seconds? CRY!

Can't have a friend literally do NM dungeons for you and give you free experience so you don't have to play the game? CRY!

Devs make it so we get MORE ITEM DROPS? CRY!!

MORE EXP IN NM DUNGEONS (previous patch)? CRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean I don't understand what people are whining about, one of the major complaints of Dianlo IV is that you run out of content far too fast.

So making it so you do the exact same content all over again but slower makes complete sense to me from "I am shit at developing games" stand point.

Last edited:

Tg89

They haven't nerfed EVERYBODY though

They've nerfed the people that have steamrolled through the levels using broken builds, and now those people are complaining because it takes 2 seconds to kill a world boss solo instead of 1 second, which is ridiculous

The only nerf that's effecting everybody is the vulnerability nerf, which they've done to stop people steamrolling the content and then complaining they have nothing else to do

It's funny how everybody now thinks they are a hardcore min max diablo player now just because they followed a guide on maxroll that has now been nerfed

Do people honstely want every player running around with the same build destroying everything on the screen in half a second?

This pretty much sums up the latest overeaction from the "fanbase"

Can't get to lvl 100 in a week with godly overpowered classes? CRY!

Can't find every single unique drop in the game in a week? CRY!!

Can't do 1 trillion damage with any class and kill Uber Lilith in 30 seconds? CRY!

Can't have a friend literally do NM dungeons for you and give you free experience so you don't have to play the game? CRY!

Devs make it so we get MORE ITEM DROPS? CRY!!

MORE EXP IN NM DUNGEONS (previous patch)? CRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

It's less about the nerfs and more about them actively making the game less fun.

The nerf to cooldown reduction is the best example of this. They claim they didn't want everyone stacking it - but why is everyone stacking it? Because the cooldowns in the game are far too long and make the game absolutely BORING to play. 90% of the viable builds involve you running around until your cooldowns are up, popping them, using your core skill and repeat. It's bad design and has been since the betas but cooldown reduction at least made it a bit more tolerable.

It's just a bad game in so many ways and if they did something to address the many issues ALONGSIDE the nerfs, it wouldn't be met with the criticism - but over a month after release, seeing all the issues, they did essentially nothing to help on that front. These aren't the same quality game design folks that made games like D2 - I'm not even sure they play the game.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

It's less about the nerfs and more about them actively making the game less fun.

The nerf to cooldown reduction is the best example of this. They claim they didn't want everyone stacking it - but why is everyone stacking it? Because the cooldowns in the game are far too long and make the game absolutely BORING to play. 90% of the viable builds involve you running around until your cooldowns are up, popping them, using your core skill and repeat. It's bad design and has been since the betas but cooldown reduction at least made it a bit more tolerable.

It's just a bad game in so many ways and if they did something to address the many issues ALONGSIDE the nerfs, it wouldn't be met with the criticism - but over a month after release, seeing all the issues, they did essentially nothing to help on that front. These aren't the same quality game design folks that made games like D2 - I'm not even sure they play the game.
I'd argue that the game is more boring to play if all your doing is pressing one button and destroying everything on the screen in a millisecond, which is exactly what the builds they have nerfed were doing

Tg89

I'd argue that the game is more boring to play if all your doing is pressing one button and destroying everything on the screen in a millisecond, which is exactly what the builds they have nerfed were doing

Pretty much every build only uses one actual button. There's just another 4 that you press every 20-30 seconds when they're off cooldown. Cooldown reduction (one of the biggest nerfs) resulted in you pressing more buttons and the game being more engaging.

Mephisto40

the issue was there were barely viable builds as is. The "buffs" they gave are mostly lost in the damage buckets...
Define "viable"

If by "viable", you mean builds thats make the game ridiculously easy to farm, can you not see the issue here?

Last edited:

Zheph

Define "viable"

If by "viable", you mean builds thats make the game ridiculously easy to farm, can you not see the issue here?
Except vulnerability which everyone can agree needed a big nerf, what's else is good in the patch notes (that i don't believe you have read but you are stuck in your opinion about meta builds and keep reharsing the same post despite many people arguing) ?

Buggy Loop

I do not trust Blizzard in decision making anymore.

I skipped it and i regret nothing. Diablo 3 took a long ass time to be even where it is today. Not playing Diablo 4 day 1 is a given.

I have Baldur's Gate 3, Armored Core VI & Starfield purchased and waiting in Steam library. In meantime i'm trying to end TOTK.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have a feeling this is kinda how the game is intended to work.

Every season the last season's best builds and solutions will be changed so they don't work like they used to and you'll need to start over and build up a new way to dominate the season (which is what the point of the game is IMO). I still believe Diablo 4 and Hearthstone have a lot more in common than you'd think.

Tg89

\
Except vulnerability which everyone can agree needed a big nerf, what's else is good in the patch notes (that i don't believe you have read but you are stuck in your opinion about meta builds and keep reharsing the same post despite many people arguing) ?
The big issue with the patch is that they didn't fix anything wrong with the game. It's possible to nerf things and still make the game better, but they didn't do that.

Nerfs are fine, if something is overperforming, go for it. That said, the game is already incredibly slow paced for an action RPG - both in the way that it plays and the mechanics behind the grind. Everything they've done served only to slow the game down more. They could easily have nerfed some builds in ways that didn't result in a slow gameplay becoming meaningfully slower. People criticized the 80+ loop, what did they do? Make the 60-80 loop equally bad. Sorc was the most underperforming class and arguably got the most nerfs (and also the worst unique - though they all see pretty shit...random teleportation? who designs this shit).

They did nothing to really address the poor itemization. Nothing to address the lack of any real social elements in their pseudo MMO. Nothing to diversify gameplay (in fact, they nerfed helltides so NM dungeons are now the only real way to go).

Like, let's remember that people stacking vulnerability, cooldown reduction, etc. were just working with the tools that Blizzard gave them in the first place - did Blizzard not see it coming? They didn't test the game before release?

Essentially, people just spent a month playing through a slow paced game with glaring issues that any competent dev (certainly Blizzard of old) would have identified before release. Their answer to that was - okay now do it again, but slower and even less fun and the end game still sucks.

Hell, one of the new aspects literally relies on a mechanic that they said is broken and they can't fix till S3...

Last edited:

Mephisto40

\

The big issue with the patch is that they didn't fix anything wrong with the game. It's possible to nerf things and still make the game better, but they didn't do that.

Nerfs are fine, if something is overperforming, go for it. That said, the game is already incredibly slow paced for an action RPG - both in the way that it plays and the mechanics behind the grind. Everything they've done served only to slow the game down more. They could easily have nerfed some builds in ways that didn't result in a slow gameplay becoming meaningfully slower. People criticized the 80+ loop, what did they do? Make the 60-80 loop equally bad. Sorc was the most underperforming class and arguably got the most nerfs (and also the worst unique - though they all see pretty shit...random teleportation? who designs this shit).

They did nothing to really address the poor itemization. Nothing to address the lack of any real social elements in their pseudo MMO. Nothing to diversify gameplay (in fact, they nerfed helltides so NM dungeons are now the only real way to go).

Like, let's remember that people stacking vulnerability, cooldown reduction, etc. were just working with the tools that Blizzard gave them in the first place - did Blizzard not see it coming? They didn't test the game before release?

Essentially, people just spent a month playing through a slow paced game with glaring issues that any competent dev (certainly Blizzard of old) would have identified before release. Their answer to that was - okay now do it again, but slower and even less fun and the end game still sucks.

Hell, one of the new aspects literally relies on a mechanic that they said is broken and they can't fix till S3...
Do we know how accelerated the XP gain will be for season characters yet?

Bit difficult to say the game has been made slower when the accelerated XP gain for season characters may well outweigh the nerfs that have been implemented

Zheph

\

I agree fully man but some people in here think we just crying

For example, it's wild how we don't have extra stash for the inventory, managing many characters is a nightmare
Let's not even talk about the itemization

You mean the game has been balanced to be better for everybody, and not just the 5 builds people are using off maxroll
No, I said everyone got a dps and defense nerf as a reply to you saying not everyone got nerfed. You can call it balanced (compared to what I don't know as it just came out).

Bry0

I have a feeling this is kinda how the game is intended to work.

Every season the last season's best builds and solutions will be changed so they don't work like they used to and you'll need to start over and build up a new way to dominate the season (which is what the point of the game is IMO). I still believe Diablo 4 and Hearthstone have a lot more in common than you'd think.
Yes the game is entirely designed around seasonal play. Every aspect of the design supports that conclusion.

Raven77

WoW doesn’t cater to the ultra hardcore nor does this Diablo 4 patch

I mean I understand that you absolutely have to input your uninformed hot take

You are, quite literally, 100% -

Loop Trump GIF

They did, in fact, create this patch around nerfing the no-lifers and the builds they are using. If you knew about the game and the top builds, and read the patch, you would understand.

In turn, the trickle down effect ends up making the game a slog for the other 99.9% of players.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I played last night and only noticed good changes. My Minion Necromancer build is still killing it in Tier III Nightmare Dungeons. I like the map/region changes. My mage had the entire map unlocked. Now my Necromancer does too. Same with the Lilith statues.

devilNprada

Sure, I'll bite. Played through most wow expansions and Blizzard nearly always balances towards the top players (or hardcore). They always balance classe/abilities from data from the top down. Be it raids, mythics, PVP etc. What trickles down to other players is what you get. We're talking end game content which they balance for. Not levelling. Its the same with most other MMO's with an active player base.

So take my "uninformed take" as you will. What is your input then? Other than trying to gaslight.. Curious.

They did, in fact, create this patch around nerfing the no-lifers and the builds they are using. If you knew about the game and the top builds, and read the patch, you would understand.

In turn, the trickle down effect ends up making the game a slog for the other 99.9% of players.

I agree 100%..
I admire the top hardcore people and the guys on this site who are really pretty amazing, but am just not that player.
At level 95 and just pretty handedly passed a (high) 52 nightmare before the patch, (I have to be further along than 90% of the player base) was getting pretty confident I could eventually do a T100 dungeon and beat uber Lilith. Got on last night went to farm XP in a level 46 nightmare and just kept dying. When I did finally finish my XP bar hardly moved.
Now, I just feel I will never get there, and there is no point to slog through 5 more levels.

So any of you master players willing to carry me past Lilith and a T100 before I quit and go spend my time on BG3.. please do...

Last edited:
Eh, gamers are cry babies, and they are not going to play Baldurs Gate when a new season comes out.
I try to not be cynical, but I agree. The type of people to voice these complaints publicly are not going to stop playing the game during the season.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The patch is honestly shocking. I have not seen a dev team so tone deaf and out of touch in years. I can't even remember the last time I saw patch that was so negatively one sided as this one is. They did what you are never supposed to do in an RPG. You never ever EVER nerf all the classes at once. Do one or two if you have to, but you never nerf them all in one go. That pisses off EVERYONE instead of just pissing off some of them. And then you nerfed XP gains and damage on top of that? What world do you live in where you thought that was a good idea Blizzard? If they didn't see this storm coming then they are either supremely out of touch or just outright stupid.

On the upside they have convinced me to preorder Baldurs Gate 3 for PS5. All the memes about the patch and people leaving for BG3 made me check it out and the game looks fucking great.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How bad did it fuck up the rogue?

I havent played in weeks. Im surprised how fast I fell off. I probably shouldnt have done every single fucking mini dungeon and cave in that first area before I properly started the campaign. I feel like that was the perfect amount of time to scratch the itch.

Mephisto40

How bad did it fuck up the rogue?

I havent played in weeks. Im surprised how fast I fell off. I probably shouldnt have done every single fucking mini dungeon and cave in that first area before I properly started the campaign. I feel like that was the perfect amount of time to scratch the itch.
If you are a casual player you probably wont even notice the class changes tbh

Tg89

Im not that casual and I had a pretty good setup going. I'd probably notice lol
You'll definitely notice, but rogue is still super solid.

It's more just the general gameplay that will be a bigger nerf for you - slower, more boring than before (somehow), itemization still sucks, less variety in viable things to do, etc.

The real nerf was to the fun, which wasn't plentiful to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom