• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - Early Access Beta August 13th, Open Beta August 20th

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Oh well i guess d3 is for that.
not going to buy 2 copies on pc.

1 digital + 1 physical is fine. 2 digital is kinda silly esp on the same damn platform

Shubh_C63

Never played it but loved Diablo 3. Definitely plan on checking this out, as I hear the consensus is, that it’s the best Diablo in the series.

Anyone care to give their reasoning as to why it’s the best?
If I have to provide my tldr version.

D3 = Junkie gameplay Korean candy crush mechanics, mow the lawn with blood and rainbow

D2 = Slow Ninja gameplay with decisive singular swings in a horror setting. No chaining combos BS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Reading some of the comments, people saying they're hoping they add content to the game.

It's like these people never played the game. Diablo 2 has more content than anyone could ever ask for.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

chixdiggit

Hard for me to get hyped for this. Diablo 2 is incredible and by far the best in the series. But after the way Blizzard handled the Warcraft 3 remake I have my doubts.

Yoshichan

Hard for me to get hyped for this. Diablo 2 is incredible and by far the best in the series. But after the way Blizzard handled the Warcraft 3 remake I have my doubts.
MrLama is a true Diablo 2 fan, he's been playing D2 for over 15,000 hours. He's played the beta and absolutely loved it and the issues he had with it; they fixed.

Grubby is a true Warcraft 3 fan, he's been playing WC3 for over 15,000 hours. Grubby played the beta and disliked lots of stuff about it, and they never fixed any of the issues.

Oh and D2:R is made by Vicarious Visions, most recently known for making the almost perfect remake of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 as well as the critically acclaimed and beloved Crash Bandicoot 1+2+3 Remake.

Rickyiez

Will give this a shot even with the recent fiasco as long as the game is good . We got to support some of the innocent devs that pour their souls into this as well .

chixdiggit

No worries, the remake is great.
MrLama is a true Diablo 2 fan, he's been playing D2 for over 15,000 hours. He's played the beta and absolutely loved it and the issues he had with it; they fixed.

Grubby is a true Warcraft 3 fan, he's been playing WC3 for over 15,000 hours. Grubby played the beta and disliked lots of stuff about it, and they never fixed any of the issues.

Oh and D2:R is made by Vicarious Visions, most recently known for making the almost perfect remake of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2 as well as the critically acclaimed and beloved Crash Bandicoot 1+2+3 Remake.
Great to hear.

DarkestHour

Banned
Vicarious Visions doing this makes me extremely confident that it's going to be good despite their inability to make Crash Bandicoot 60FPS on PS5...

Tg89

Yeah, not only did Llama enjoy the beta but he was apparently heavily consulted on lots of aspects during development so I'm pretty confident.

Side note, I've been trying to remember if they clarified but I can't find anything online, have they changed the default single player to sync up with the rune words/drops available in ladder mode? I wanna take another stab at my holy grail, ideally not having to use mods to do it.

Yoshichan

Vicarious Visions doing this makes me extremely confident that it's going to be good despite their inability to make Crash Bandicoot 60FPS on PS5...
Didn't they say that this was a decision choice?

fuck it. i can afford 40$.

with no computer atm, i'm preordering the ps4 copy to play this weekend. even if its just for an hour of nostalgia.

god this game has roots deep into my brain and soul. fucking childhood.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
The overall tone, mood and atmosphere is also much darker in the second one which was a huge turn off for me in iteration number 3.
Lol...the same could be said about Diablo 2 compared to 1. Now that game truly had the darker atmosphere, music, better gore..

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Lol...the same could be said about Diablo 2 compared to 1. Now that game truly had the darker atmosphere, music, better gore..
Somewhat, but 3 went to far.

The first Diablo was a much simpler game and they made wonderful progress with the second one overall. Giving it much more variety in look and gameplay.
With Diablo 3 they showed that they didn't know or didn't cared of what the first games made so great. They maybe wanted to reinvent the wheel but failed to build upon the success.
Not that it had no success or was a bad game but in my eyes it doesn't deserve the name Diablo 3.

Whereas I love 1 and 2 equally. I could replay these every time. Not so much with Diablo 3.

I_D

To provide some clarity here... (and yes, I know this is an old post).
The game engine is running at 60+fps, so it will look just fine on your computer. Everything you see will be in the modern framerate you're expecting.

The calculations needed to run combat, movement, etc., however, are processed in a way that assumes the game is running at a perfectly-locked 25fps. The game was originally sprite-based, so there were only so many frames of animation for each action. Attacking, blocking, dodging, moving, etc. are all designed with 25fps in mind. Changing that up would essentially require remaking a brand new game, as every single element of the game depends upon that 25fps assumption.

This is a good way to do things, by the way, because it makes it very easy for the player to determine exactly which stats are having which effects on the character's abilities, since there is always a perfectly-locked baseline to compare against.
Mind you, most players probably never even ran into something like the framerate calculations and 'breakpoints,' but it opens a world of possibilities for more advanced players.

Last edited:

Fake

This is me. Warcraft 3 Reforged was the pinnacle of Blizzard incompetence. I'm still an active Warcraft 3 (Frozen Throne) player and when this 'new' Blizzard started to make futile changes on WC3 I lose every respect I used to have.

Yoshichan

So fucking ready with my home made guides from a few years back. Going to be crazy fun.

d2.jpg

I am so surprised to see so many shocked that this doesn't have local co-op. Has that EVER been a thing in D2? As long as it has online co-op I'm happy.

Thabass

I had a pre-order because I bought some Diablo 3 edition recently. So, I'll keep it for now, but for the future, I won't be buying any Activision Blizzard stuff for a long, long time.

I don’t know why, but I feel like I want to buy this game, if not for anything else, then to show support for Activision-Blizzard in these tough times when everyone is piling in on them. I hate that.

Maybe I’m a bad person but I really don’t care about their workplace habits, I just wanna play games. I’m sure there’s all kinds of misconduct in majority of big companies. Let the authorities deal with it.

I see people downvoting those just released trailers on YT and it makes me sad. Just stop, they are (and especially recently with Crash and TH games, Sekiro publishing) one of the best companies of them all. Top quality.

Last edited:
Local co op is more than one person playing on a single device. Diablo never had that. LAN is not local co op.

also, complaining about Diablo not having LAN in 2021 is hilarious.

Ah gotcha. D3 had local co-op on PS4/5 but I guess this doesn't?

And hell, I'd totally be down for an old school bring-your-rig LAN party. CS: Source, Diablo 2, Command and Conquer, Starcraft, DMing it with Icewind Dale/Neverwinter, oh yeah.

Throw in some WH40K after. Lots of mountain dew.

Last edited:
Ah gotcha. D3 had local co-op on PS4/5 but I guess this doesn't?

And hell, I'd totally be down for an old school bring-your-rig LAN party. CS: Source, Diablo 2, Command and Conquer, Starcraft, DMing it with Icewind Dale/Neverwinter, oh yeah.

Throw in some WH40K after. Lots of mountain dew.
I haven't done that since high school. It was fun then. The thought of spending the night with a bunch of guys my age with some shitty sleep arrangement and total lack of sleep sounds terrible at my age.

I would immediately miss my Casper mattress and I do horrible nowadays on no sleep. I also can't play video games for like 12 hours straight anymore. I get burned out after a few hours.

EDIT: the only reason we had LAN parties back in the day was due to the limitations with internet of that time. We would have never gone through all that trouble if we had internet nearly as fast as the internet we have today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom