• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected - Early Access Beta August 13th, Open Beta August 20th

Saber

Gold Member
Just being able to play my favourite game of all time with some modern QoL type stuff really.

I still play Diablo II to this day using Plugy/D2SE. Being able to play a (supposedly) completely 1:1 and faithful remaster in 4k @ 60+ FPS alone gets a buy from me. It's a game I consider timeless and with near infinite replayability.

Beta is to stress test the servers.

I still play the original Diablo 2 (LoD). As such, the updated graphics and QoL improvements are a draw from me.

I'm also excited for the draw of new players and a resurgence of people playing. The D2 servers are fairly dead (to be fair, the game is like 20 years old).

I really like the updated graphics. They managed to completely preserve the original atmosphere. It looks great.

Yeah. I still play the game ocasionally with my brother and its still a blast, very different from when I quitted D3 without even completing the story(stop for good after beating the butcher). I was hoping it could have some other changes that I wasn't aware of, but it seems its the basic premise. Well, good for you guys I hope everything goes well.

Tg89

For you new gamers, the old D2 game didnt have orange rares either. The best items were yellows (unless maybe expansion packs added better items I didnt play).

But yellows were rare.

In D3, yellows are everywhere and once your charatcer gets enough magic item find boosts you get lots of orange rares too. Way too many,

In D2, once you found a yellow item, it was important and infrequent.
This was very much a pre-LOD thing. Post LOD most of the best items are uniques (gold), runewords, some set pieces and certain crafteds.

You're right that yellows are still more valueable in D2 than (current) D3 in many cases.

Last edited:
Isn't this something weird where the game is 60fps but the engine is still running at 25fps?
Yes, they've intentionally not touched this to preserve the original experience.

Diablo II's breakpoints can be pretty fun to manipulate. The game runs at 25 FPS, and the new Resurrected remaster will also be sourced on the 25FPS timings of the original despite running at higher frame rates on consoles and PC (it can hit uncapped FPS at 8K resolution on PC). The underpinning core logic remains the same, though, allowing breakpoint builds.

Although the game ran at 25FPS, gamers could stack boosted upgrades like IAS (increased attack speed), FBR (faster block rate), FCR (faster cast rate), and others like FHR (faster hit recovery) to "break" the animation barrier; the characters animations could technically go past their limitations. This lead to some pretty godly builds, and breakpoints are kind of a science for high-level D2 play.

Luckily, the remaster will preserve the breakpoint system. D2 Resurrected's principal designer Rob Gallerani explains:

"There is a lot about the old game's feel. The original game, like a lot of older games, ran on frames and not time. And so if you imagine the game running like a bicycle wheel with the spokes, if something happened in between a spoke, it wouldn't really click over. So that's what the breakpoints are; breakpoints in the game are you've upped your stats so much that it would go faster and fall in between a frame so you don't get credit for it," Gallerani said in a recent Q&A stream.

"So there were builds made that would hit certain breakpoints. Now we have to preserve that. So our modern game still runs with all the spokes. All we're doing is we're adding a much smoother tire around the outside so we're throwing a lot more visual frames in.

"So the animations that you see can run very very smoothly, but these moments when the game is checking to see what happens are still in the exact same spot as they used to be."

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah it definitely was more watered down at the beginning. The auction house and other aspects didn't help at all.

They should have just kept the story from D3, and kept the tone/gameplay/style from D2. It would have been fine.
Here is hope they learned something for the development of D4. I think most fans really want a hardcore RPG and not something streamlined.

Until then Resurrected will be just fine for me for the next years. Hurry up september!

Can you trade items? That was a great part of the original game setting aside the duped SOJs as currency. My luck sucks and I'm going to need help completing The Immortal Kings set.

Tg89

Can you trade items? That was a great part of the original game setting aside the duped SOJs as currency. My luck sucks and I'm going to need help completing The Immortal Kings set.
Yep. They've also added a Shared Stash as part of some QoL improvements to make it easier to move items between characters.

ManaByte

Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy

catvonpee

I wonder if the game will get a demo?

Edit: I guess I can try and get on the beta and try it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Surprised they go open beta. Does it mean it's only open for two days?

I was so hyped when this got announced, but seeing the most qolstuff goes to controller users only and Ive been eavily time invested in gw2 i dont even know if I'm still interested.

WitchHunter

Banned

I'm pretty excited. I put more time into Diablo 2 than any other game I've ever played. Anyone else plan on playing?

vcbs86j2ekg71.jpg
Will they also rerender the opening cinematic? Which was the ultimate creation of the Blizzard render team's work.

DavidGzz

Never played it but loved Diablo 3. Definitely plan on checking this out, as I hear the consensus is, that it’s the best Diablo in the series.

Anyone care to give their reasoning as to why it’s the best?

Aesthetics, amazing for its time, and nostalgia. D3 is better overall. I played D2 much more but it has aged since release. It lacks replayability these days for me. I'm getting it for sure though. Maybe a fresh player will prove me wrong. I look forward to your thoughts.

I thought we hated Blizzard now

can't keep up

Wrong forum, boyo.

Yes, but i miss the bigger Inventory of Eastern Sun mod for the original.

It will be modable. So, I'm sure you will have plenty of people reinvigorated to work on some while it's popular again. More inventory will be the first thing they do. And I'm sure the Eastern Sun guys will work on the same mod for D2R.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So if we preorder today we're not guaranteed early beta access this Friday?

Looks like you can preorder now to have access to it this weekend.

"Players can take part by pre-purchasing Diablo® II: Resurrected™ or the Diablo® Prime Evil Collection on Windows® PC or eligible consoles."

Tg89

Never played it but loved Diablo 3. Definitely plan on checking this out, as I hear the consensus is, that it’s the best Diablo in the series.

Anyone care to give their reasoning as to why it’s the best?

-Best areas/aesthetics/themes
-Best itemization by a wide margin, tons of unique cool items with unique attributes enabling an incredibly wide range of builds
-Best sense of progression, getting a good item end game feels great and is generally a pretty noticeable upgrade vs. something like Diablo 3 where they just continuously throw incremental upgrades at you
-Honestly just endlessly replayable
-Best "economy"...really the only game in the series with one. Economy generally works in a bartering manner as gold is worthless, certain items tend to be used as a reference point (ie. perfect enigma worth 10xSOJs or something like that) but you could have one or a variety of items that you would trade to get the item you desire
-PVP is solid, though not my thing

DavidGzz

-Best areas/aesthetics/themes
-Best itemization by a wide margin, tons of unique cool items with unique attributes enabling an incredibly wide range of builds
-Best sense of progression, getting a good item end game feels great and is generally a pretty noticeable upgrade vs. something like Diablo 3 where they just continuously throw incremental upgrades at you
-Honestly just endlessly replayable
-Best "economy"...really the only game in the series with one. Economy generally works in a bartering manner as gold is worthless, certain items tend to be used as a reference point (ie. perfect enigma worth 10xSOJs or something like that) but you could have one or a variety of items that you would trade to get the item you desire
-PVP is solid, though not my thing

A lot of great points. Maybe it's just the graphics/sound that I can't handle after a while. These being improved a lot may give this the new life it deserves and will maybe keep me playing for thousands of hours as I did in the past.

amigastar

That is how a open beta generally works, yes.

Excited to bathe in the nostalgia.
ok thanks wasn't sure

It will be modable. So, I'm sure you will have plenty of people reinvigorated to work on some while it's popular again. More inventory will be the first thing they do. And I'm sure the Eastern Sun guys will work on the same mod for D2R.
Eastern Sun for D2R? You are very optimistic since i thought Eastern Sun mod was abondoned years ago.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'm really excited to see how this particular remake turns out, but I'm not going to be picking it up until I know for sure that blizzard has got itself in order. And before anybody jumps on me I'm not talking about just the latest sexual harassment stuff, but just their general decline in overall quality in recent years.

The sexual harassment stuff is its own can of worms, but the warcraft remake and it's debacle surrounding it on its own was enough to make me have hesitations when I originally pre-ordered the game.

Last edited:

Tg89

I'm really excited to see how this particular remake turns out, but I'm not going to be picking it up until I know for sure that blizzard has got itself in order. And before anybody jumps on me I'm not talking about just the latest sexual harassment stuff, but just their general decline in overall quality in recent years.

The sexual harassment stuff is its own can of worms, but the warcraft remake and it's debacle surrounding it on its own was enough to make me have hesitations when I originally pre-ordered the game.
Pretty unlikely they’ll ever get their overall quality back at this point. At this point they’re a shell of their former selves at best and it’s been like that for pushing a decade. This particular remake seems to be in good hands though.

Hari Seldon

This is a Vicarious Visions remake and not core Blizzard. For that reason I am hyped and giving it a chance.

M.W.

How's the inventory management in this? Always appeared like there was not a lot of room lol

DavidGzz

How's the inventory management in this? Always appeared like there was not a lot of room lol

It's shit which is why this will be an offline SP game on PC for me. Inventory mods ftw. But to be fair, the base game will be much better than it used to be with 3 pages of shared stash. There was zero shared stash in the original. Still won't cut it for hoarders lol(like me).

Vasili2K38

Between this and the Tales Of Arise demo, great week to try new games. Personally when Diablo 2 was released I was not so invested like today in isometric ARPGs, but after everything I've read and the trailers, I'm hyped to try it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Crossplay not being in is frustrating. Also very interested in how Controller gameplay will pan out. Some of the spells need precision. D3 worked. Hope D2 does too.

Top Bottom