• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Touryst PS5 - The First 8K 60fps Console Game

So your are in denial like usual lol
Again, if you think the clocks allow the ps5 to double anything of the Xbox maximum you are silly. One being 8 and other being 6 doesn't change that. Ray's reasonable reason was they couldn't lock 60 at 8k so they went to the next standard down of 6k. Nothing outside of SSD related things will ever be double for the ps5 over Xbox assuming both are at maximum.
Edit
Gonna add if you believe that why isn't it 6k 120 on ps5 instead of both being 4k 120

Last edited:

onQ123

Again, if you think the clocks allow the ps5 to double anything of the Xbox maximum you are silly. One being 8 and other being 6 doesn't change that. Ray's reasonable reason was they couldn't lock 60 at 8k so they went to the next standard down of 6k. Nothing outside of SSD related things will ever be double for the ps5 over Xbox assuming both are at maximum.

It's true that they might have went with 6K for a more stable framerate & it was the next best resolution to Super Sample from but at the same time we don't know the full story of why 6K has been the limit so far with Xbox Series X . PS5 also has faster internal bandwidth thanks to the higher clocks + the cache scrubbers & this could very well allow PS5 to perform much better in this game than Xbox Series X.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
By dev yes… higher clock and different memory setup allowed them to reach 8k in one machine over 6k in another.
So should I expect games to have higher resolution on most my PS5 games when settings are the same than my SX from now on?

I say from now on as the systems have nearly been out a year and Devs must be more used to getting the best out of each system.

onQ123

So should I expect games to have higher resolution on most my PS5 games when settings are the same than my SX from now on?

I say from now on as the systems have nearly been out a year and Devs must be more used to getting the best out of each system.

It will always depend on how the games are designed if a game is compute heavy it will hit PS5 TF limits 1st so it will have to have a lower resolution or lower settings on PS5 but if the game need higher pixel fill rates , higher internal bandwidth & so on it will hit Xbox Series X limits 1st.

I clearly tried to tell people about this stuff before the consoles even released but everyone thought I was crazy

It's true that they might have went with 6K for a more stable framerate & it was the next best resolution to Super Sample from but at the same time we don't know the full story of why 6K has been the limit so far with Xbox Series X . PS5 also has faster internal bandwidth thanks to the higher clocks + the cache scrubbers & this could very well allow PS5 to perform much better in this game than Xbox Series X.
All the 6k games were also launch titles. I don't think actual launch titles should be the gauge of anything for consoles.

A PC with a 3600 and a 1080 can run this game at 8k60 (so I've heard) and they don't have scrubbers.
I don't think any title running at it's best will ever be double for either over the other. None of the numbers add up to double anything GPU related. Small differences here and there make sense and will be the norm. Any outliers will be caused by some issue or just a logical step down that then will give one more overhead.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

ethomaz

Banned
Edit
Gonna add if you believe that why isn't it 6k 120 on ps5 instead of both being 4k 120
I don’t think anything… the developer said it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Why you should expect that?

The developer was specifically talking about their engine and how they could reach 8k.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It will always depend on how the games are designed if a game is compute heavy it will hit PS5 TF limits 1st so it will have to have a lower resolution or lower settings on PS5 but if the game need higher pixel fill rates , higher internal bandwidth & so on it will hit Xbox Series X limits 1st.

I clearly tried to tell people about this stuff before the consoles even released but everyone thought I was crazy

Thank you for a explanation.

[Sigma]

Well damn looking back at that stuff, definitely a +1 for you in that argument.

Last edited:

onQ123

All the 6k games were also launch titles. I don't think actual launch titles should be the gauge of anything for consoles.

A PC with a 3600 and a 1080 can run this game at 8k60 (so I've heard) and they don't have scrubbers.
I don't think any title running at it's best will ever be double for either over the other. None of the numbers add up to double anything GPU related. Small differences here and there make sense and will be the norm. Any outliers will be caused by some issue or just a logical step down that then will give one more overhead.

You're using Nvidia cards to say what Xbox Series X should be able to do without knowing the reason why Xbox Series X is hitting these limits.

onQ123

Can you point to where the dev said the Xbox couldn't go above 6k. Thanks a bunch.

You are assuming it was a limit

It clearly was some limit or they would have gone with 8K that would allow them to have a perfect 2x2 Super Sample for 4K . The fact that they went with 6K tells you that it was some limit that caused this. I'm not saying that they couldn't get 8K 60fps with more work but as for now we know that something made them go with 6K.

It clearly was some limit or they would have gone with 8K that would allow them to have a perfect 2x2 Super Sample for 4K . The fact that they went with 6K tells you that it was some limit that caused this. I'm not saying that they couldn't get 8K 60fps with more work but as for now we know that something made them go with 6K.

Just seems like it's a bit odd for them to answer with the PS5s hardware if that wasn't the reason why they were able to hit 8K.

Can the Series hit 8K with this title? Sure but the developer made a decision to keep it at 6K for whatever reason. Only thing they mentioned was clocks and memory setup.

What the performance is at 8K on the XSX? Only the developers know the answer to that question. Im sure if it met their expectations there would be no reason to keep the game at 6K.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you point to where the dev said the Xbox couldn't go above 6k. Thanks a bunch.

You are assuming it was a limit
Are you for real? It was already posted several times.

"All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs."

Dev was asked why the difference between Xbox 6k and PS5 8.
Dev straight up says "the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference".
You continue in denial lol

I get you want to defense the Xbox from everything but here the dev that said it... it is not an assumption you have to go crazy to deny it.
Just accept and move on.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing it can do 8k60. I'm arguing 6k60 was the limit.

"All of which brings us onto the elephant in the room. The Touryst on Series X also has super-sampling down to 4K from a higher resolution, but it is 6K instead (5760x3240, to be precise). Bearing in mind how close the machines are, why is this the case? Typically, in the PC space, to get a faster GPU, manufacturers produce 'wider' designs that run at the same clocks as less capable parts - or even slower. Xbox Series X follows the same pattern. Its GPU runs at a slower clock, but should be more capable overall as it has many more compute units. Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs."

Dev straight up says "the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference".

I get you want to defense the Xbox from everything but here the dev that said it... it is not an assumption you have to go crazy to deny it.
Just accept and move on.
Hmm nope I don't see it saying they anywhere. Maybe you read it somewhere else?

onQ123

They keep ignoring what was said by the devs & coming up with their own theory that exclude the PS5 having the better hardware / development environment for the dev to achieve 8K with a stable 60fps in the game.

They keep ignoring what was said by the devs & coming up with their own theory that exclude the PS5 having the better hardware / development environment for the dev to achieve 8K with a stable 60fps in the game.
I'm actually not doing that at all. I agree with it completely. I don't agree it allows for double the maximum resolution. Again if that was the case why isn't ps5 6k120. Technically it's pretty much exactly double 4k120

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not arguing it can do 8k60. I'm arguing 6k60 was the limit.

Hmm nope I don't see it saying they anywhere. Maybe you read it somewhere else?
Wut?

I'm actually not doing that at all. I agree with it completely. I don't agree it allows for double the maximum resolution. Again if that was the case why isn't ps5 6k120. Technically it's pretty much exactly double 4k120
If I have to guess due the CPU but that is another bootleneck... going from 60fps to 120fps more than double the CPU processing while increasing the resoltuion doesn't double the CPU processing... it increases the CPU but at a minor factor compared with doubling the FPS.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course, it's not like PS5 is 2x ahead of XSX in this game. Unless there is a DRS involved, the devs are going to limit the game on the first available stop -- which is 6K from 8K.

The same thing happened with Hitman 3. From 2160p, the next step was around 1800p, so the devs locked the PS5 version to 1800p. It doesn't mean that there was a constant 20% difference b/w XSX and PS5 (as was evident with the FPS drops on XSX and locked 60 FPS on the PS5). But it's a very minor point.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Because 8k to 6k is 1.7 times the res maybe those consoles can't output 6k120 since it's even more.Your point now being if ps5 can output 8k60 why can't it output even more pixel/sec?
Because sure there doesn't seem to be a big difference between 1.7 and 2 times but it is still a substantial difference.
Maybe you are arguing that ps5 has even more headroom and can output even more than 8k60 but that doesn't seem to be your argument.
Honestly it just feels like the res difference stroke a nerve with you, because we got words from the dev, the whole DF video explaining the difference and you want to ps5 to do even more that all that because you based your comparison on erroneous numbers.Maybe just accept that for the game/engine the ps5 is better suited, wouldn't that be simpler ?

Wut?

If I have to guess due the CPU but that is another bootleneck... going from 60fps to 120fps more than double the CPU processing while increasing the resoltuion doesn't double the CPU processing... it increases the CPU but at a minor factor compared with doubling the FPS.
It's 4k120 just like Xbox

Of course, it's not like PS5 is 2x ahead of XSX in this game. Unless there is a DRS involved, the devs are going to limit the game on the first available stop -- which is 6K from 8K.

The same thing happened with Hitman 3. From 2160p, the next step was around 1800p, so the devs locked the PS5 version to 1800p. It doesn't mean that there was a constant 20% difference b/w XSX and PS5 (as was evident with the FPS drops on XSX and locked 60 FPS on the PS5). But it's a very minor point.
Well when you have morons like this
😂

Can you point where devs said PS5 can't reach 32K? They opted for 8K because they wanted to spare us the tantrum and the tears. They failed. 🤷‍♂️

Repeat with me: "My piece of plastic is full RDNA 2 and can do 8K. I'm a winner".

Feel better now?
You can see how people think ps5 is twice as good at this engine.

6K 120fps is 2,239,488,000 pixels per second

8K 60fps is 1,990,656,000 pixels per second

Close but not exactly the same
Xbox 6k60
Ps5 8k 60
Double res
Xbox and ps5 4k120
Why isn't ps5 6k120
That's double 4k120
Because 8k to 6k is 1.7 times the res maybe those consoles can't output 6k120 since it's even more.Your point now being if ps5 can output 8k60 why can't it output even more pixel/sec?
Because sure there doesn't seem to be a big difference between 1.7 and 2 times but it is still a substantial difference.
Maybe you are arguing that ps5 has even more headroom and can output even more than 8k60 but that doesn't seem to be your argument.
Honestly it just feels like the res difference stroke a nerve with you, because we got words from the dev, the whole DF video explaining the difference and you want to ps5 to do even more that all that because you based your comparison on erroneous numbers.Maybe just accept that for the game/engine the ps5 is better suited, wouldn't that be simpler ?
You literally quoted me saying it was better suited

Md Ray

Wrong guess, my dude. Games that are already running at 60fps on last-gen base consoles don't have any issues running at 120fps on current-gen Zen 2-based consoles. From last-gen's best console (X1X) to XSX, the CPU jump is already 3-4x. It would be even greater than a 4x jump if you take PS4 into account which had the slowest Jaguar CPU.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Xbox 6k60
Ps5 8k 60
Double res
Xbox and ps5 4k120
Why isn't ps5 6k120
That's double 4k120

You literally quoted me saying it was better suited
Once again erroneous numbers 6k120 is more pixels/sec than 8k60 you also have to consider what those console are able to output, sure they can render pong a 16K120 but can they output it ?That is a major flaw in your logic there.

Edit:You also forget that the pixel filrate isn't everything there, if it was only about that then maybe ps5 could output it but there is way more to a game than that and halving frame times has obvious impact on other parts of the engine.The game isn't only about throwing pixels at the screen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Wrong guess, my dude. Games that are already running at 60fps on last-gen base consoles don't have any issues running at 120fps on current-gen Zen 2-based consoles. From last-gen's best console (X1X) to XSX, the CPU jump is already 3-4x. It would be even greater than a 4x jump if you take PS4 into account which had the slowest Jaguar CPU.
I was guessing he was asking why a game that runs on 8k60 can't run in 4k120... if that was the case I can only guess that game reached a CPU bootleneck when in 4k120 that does not exists in 8k60 for obvivous reasons... that is what I replied.

Last edited:

Arioco

You can see how people think ps5 is twice as good at this engine.

My God. I didn't see anyone say PS5 is twice as powerful as Series X at this or any other engine.

All I know is that this games render at 8K on PS5 and at 6K on Series X (at that time 6K didn't upset anyone, in fact, since PS5 didn't have any game above 4K, we thought it was quite a feat for a console to display such high rez). Devs say higher clocks and memory configuration helped them get there.

That's where facts end and the drama and speculation begin. We don't know the reason why the devs opted for 6K on Series X. Maybe at 8K they got some drops under 60 fps and they capped it at a lower rez. Maybe Series X memory configuration requires some extra work or is somehow preventing them from reach a higher rez without compromising performance. Maybe they just didn't have enough time. We don't know, the devs didn't say the details, it's just pure speculation on our part. But there's no need to be upset guys, this is a fun little game and runs great on both machines.

Funny thins is that I'm sure 99% of the people on this tread couldn't tell them apart even if their lives depended on it (I definitely could not) . The only real reason we know there's some difference is because the devs told us. 🤷‍♂️

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Does Hdmi 2.1or specifically the cable that comes with the PS5 support 8k 120 hrtz ?
Sorry meant 6k 120hrtz.
What are the limitations of hdmi 2.1 ?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Does Hdmi 2.1or specifically the cable that comes with the PS5 support 8k 120 hrtz ?
Aren't the specification for hdmi2.1 capped at 8k60?
Edit: not that it would matter because I have no hope for 8k120 games this gen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
HDMI 2.1 doesn't support 8k 120Hz without compression techs like DSC.
The max HDMI 2.1 supports without DSC is 8k 60fps in 4:2:0 or 10k 30fps in 4:2:2.

Anything over that will require more than 48Gbps (max supported by the HDMI 2.1 cable) and so require compression to archive it... btw to use DSC (compression) both sides requires to support it and it is paid (royalties to have the device supporting it).

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm getting mixed answers of Google.
Well there seem to be some capable but I think there's compression involved, so maybe not ideal, that's why I'd stick with the specification and avoid those 8k120 because most of them seems to be from shady chinese sources.

Md Ray

I was guessing he was asking why a game that runs on 8k60 can't run in 4k120... if that was the case I can only guess that game reached a CPU bootleneck when in 4k120 that does not exists in 8k60 for obvivous reasons... that is what I replied.
I know what you meant to say, but do keep in mind that any game running at 60fps on a Jaguar CPU console cannot and will not be bottlenecked by the CPU when targeting just twice the frame rate (120) of that on the new Zen 2 machines. Btw, the game is 4K120 on both XSX/PS5, he was asking why it can't do 6K120, but A azertydu91 gave an answer to that in the post #734.

yewles1

Even if it could, HDMI spec wouldn't show it.

tommib

Aren't the specification for hdmi2.1 capped at 8k60?
Edit: not that it would matter because I have no hope for 8k120 games this gen.
You heard it here first, people. Kill your consoles. No hope for 8K120 this generation. What's the point of it all then? Gaming is dead. No hope, no future.

FranXico

The thing that's being ignored is that DF said on Xbox Series X the game still looked like a native 4K game when it's being Super Sampled from 6K but also the game has updated shadows & DoF on PS5 on top of having the higher resolution.
Both versions are supersampled to 4K, neither should have any perceivable aliasing. Can't comment on the shadows and DoF.

Top Bottom