• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: PS5 Super Resolution will be aiming for 4K120FPS (future console iterations)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Probably a real big deal when it comes to Gran Turismo in the future. I believe they've been doing 8K scans of vehicles to future proof them, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I also think this has a lot of implications for a Sony handheld and delivering desired fidelity without sacrificing as much battery or requiring as much power. More convinced than ever that a PlayStation handheld is coming.

It also has major implications for cloud gaming in the future in tandem with the company SIE just bought for better compression... the combination could very well be the future of PlayStation.

WHOA! Didn't think of this. Very good point!!!

Elysium44

Banned
“Next gen” should see 30fps gaming disappear forever, which is overdue by about 10/15 years at this point.

They said exactly the same about this gen. It will never disappear while devs only do enough work to make 30-40fps games. Why would a more powerful console be any better when the problem isn't the hardware? PS5 is already plenty fast enough.

Frame generation and more powerful hardware won't truly benefit the end user, it will just make life even easier for devs to produce the same mediocrity they're doing today.

splattered

I'm fine with current level of graphics but at higher resolution and frame rate consistently. I'm not too worried about increasing ray tracing effects and stuff, it's nice but not a necessity in my opinion.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This will not be misquoted. Looking forward to "We believe in 8k resolutions."

Insane how the "We believe in generations" was literally never understood.

Still wild if true. The death of 30fps can’t come soon enough. This would bring me back to consoles fulltime if true.

30fps games will and should NEVER die. The industry will destroy itself if this happened.

“Next gen” should see 30fps gaming disappear forever, which is overdue by about 10/15 years at this point.

Hopefully not. This would be the dumbest move ever.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I don’t care what they put in it. As long as they implement it don’t doesn’t need developers to support it because we all know third-party developers are not going to spend the time or effort, patching old games, and really digging into it till next gen

Last edited:

skit_data

You likely won't notice the difference unless you go looking for it. It's a gimmick.
Yeah, idk how much I'd notice in terms of actual realistic reflections tbh but I'd mostly like to see them update the rate at which reflections are updated in GT7 because it's very noticeable it's updated at half the rate at times

Portugeezer

Don't believe that shit. We barely get 4k which as promised, many 60fps games suck are sticking the 60fps. And there is no framerate mandate.

4k120 my ass.

Probably a real big deal when it comes to Gran Turismo in the future. I believe they've been doing 8K scans of vehicles to future proof them, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I also think this has a lot of implications for a Sony handheld and delivering desired fidelity without sacrificing as much battery or requiring as much power. More convinced than ever that a PlayStation handheld is coming.

It also has major implications for cloud gaming in the future in tandem with the company SIE just bought for better compression... the combination could very well be the future of PlayStation.
I think that's what they have been doing since GT Sport yes,but not sure.

ReBurn

Gold Member
PSSR will always be a funny acronym

"Wow, look at this IQ! How is it so good?"

"It's so good because it went down the PSSR!"

Kings Field

Fuck it, make it a $1000.00. Whatever it takes babe.

sam merlotte GIF

LordOfChaos

This is a new bit of rumor after the first mention of PSSR

The news comes following this week's leaks of the PS5 Pro, which revealed that the PlayStation 5 Pro (codenamed Trinity) will be incorporating PSSR to upscale to higher resolutions. Currently, PSSR works on SKD 9.00 in the PlayStation 5 Pro to bring 4K resolutions.

Insider Gaming has also revealed more specifications on the upcoming PlayStation 5 Pro, which you can read here.

Outlined in documents provided to Insider Gaming under the condition that they are not made public, PlayStation's ambitions with PSSR is to achieve 4K 120FPS and 8K 60FPS. Whilst these are not the targets for the PS5 Pro due to hardware limitations, it is the internal goal for PSSR in future console interactions. The PlayStation 5 Pro PSSR currently supports 3840×2160 and is currently aiming for 4K 60 FPS and 8K 30FPS, but it's unclear if those internal milestones can be passed.

PSSR Memory Requirements is roughly 250MB; 180MB from the PSML Library and 64MB from the game.

Two Case Studies for two unnamed first-party games include:

Game 1
Target – image quality close to Fidelity Mode (1800p) with Performance Mode FPS (60 FPS)

Standard PlayStation 5 –

Performance Mode – 1080p at 60FPS
Fidelity Mode – 1800p at 30FPS
PlayStation 5 Pro –

1440p at 60FPS (PSSR used)
Game 2
Target – Add Raytracing to gameplay

Standard PlayStation 5 achieved 60FPS without raytracing, and PlayStation 5 Pro achieved 60FPS with Raytracing.

I've been critical of jumping to higher resolutions before the hardware is really ready to max out the last resolution, but so long as it's an upscaling tech that targets 8K I guess that's ok, and the other option being 120FPS at 4K is going to be nice on future hardware, or allow 60fps in what would have been the Quality+Ray Tracing mode on the PS5 on the PS5 Pro

Last edited:
4K120 or 8K60 is for future Playstation hardware, not PS5 Pro
Apu will always be weaker probably wait till ps7 or 8 to achieve that. That's why pssr is being made. Lesser powerful hardware save costs and if this surpass on what dlss can do. Sony probably wouldn't need to update hardware every 4.5 years. Expecially if it can achieve ultra graphics at low resolution and use pssr to look like its a 4k with 60fps

LordOfChaos

this is for future hardware, seems like PSSR is going to become a standardized and growing technology

Correct, 8K is not the target of PS5 Pro but they seem to be looking at PSSR as a continued future of the platform

It's interesting they were early with checkerboard rendering but didn't really use that again. And the PS5 Pro seems to have a dedicated neural accelerator where RDNA adds those instructions into the CUs, so I wonder if that's divergent with AMD.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everything in gaming hovers around PlayStation, if Sony didn’t launch PsOne we wouldn’t have Xbox and that’s a reality. I love watching these spec threads because it defines fanboy behavior, nerds not happy with GPU power, and to their credit these specs will simply never be good enough.

Elysium44

Banned
It does say those 8K at 60 or 4K at 120 targets are for future hardware after the Pro

It's always going to be pointless. If hardware existed which could theoretically run today's games at those resolutions and framerates... you would use that power to make MUCH BETTER LOOKING GAMES instead. Otherwise we're just going to be having PS4/5 level graphics in 2040, is that what people want?

SHA

Everything in gaming hovers around PlayStation, if Sony didn’t launch PsOne we wouldn’t have Xbox and that’s a reality. I love watching these spec threads because it defines fanboy behavior, nerds not happy with GPU power, and to their credit these specs will simply never be good enough.
Yeah, they were reacting to Sonys numbers taking over pc, they'll coexist together because of that, people think xbox won't stay and may go but that's not the case, it's pc first, if it went down hell then it's an alarming sign to xbox, not the other way around.

Elysium44

Banned
Don't people get tired of the bullshit hype around 8K and 120fps? It will never amount to anything. Like in the current gen, to get these means making massive compromises and trade-offs. Why play at 8K / 120fps when you can get dramatically better graphics by playing at 'just' 4K and 60fps?

None of this is new.

In fact the PS5 and Xbox often can't get close to maintaining even 1080p60. Let's learn to walk before we can run eh.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yay more pixelization and break up... these technologies suck ass.
It was made to do 1440p to 4k reasonably well.
Not 720p to 8k which it will of course end up being.

Funny thing with FSR2 is that it's not free. If you do 1080p to 4k with fsr2... without it, you could have like 1200-1300p perfectly stable with TAA.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
yay more pixelization and break up... these technologies suck ass.
It was made to do 1440p to 4k reasonably well.
Not 720p to 8k which it will of course end up being.

Funny thing with FSR2 is that it's not free. If you do 1080p to 4k with fsr2... without it, you could have like 1200-1300p perfectly stable with TAA.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is the point in the new hardware cycle where over the top claims are made and people 100% believe it or won’t even consider it.

Elysium44

Banned
I am hyperboling but console devs are using fsr2 in a wrong way. upscaling to 4k from way too low res than it was meant to be

That's the trouble with these technologies, in theory it can be beneficial but in practice it is too tempting for devs to use it as a crutch.

Tsaki

Apu will always be weaker probably wait till ps7 or 8 to achieve that. That's why pssr is being made. Lesser powerful hardware save costs and if this surpass on what dlss can do. Sony probably wouldn't need to update hardware every 4.5 years. Expecially if it can achieve ultra graphics at low resolution and use pssr to look like its a 4k with 60fps
To be honest I don't really understand what you are saying. What I was saying is that the "4K120 target" already includes PSSR in the rendering and is a target output for PS6/PS6 Pro/etc, not PS5 Pro. Basically meaning that PSSR will be a Sony technology that will evolve in the future (like DLSS improves with every NV GPU generation), with PS5 Pro being its introduction. Get developers on board in the middle of this generation, have them create pipelines and libraries that take it into account and when the actual next generation PS6 releases in 2028, they'll already have the engines ready to take advantage of the 2nd generation of PSSR

Top Bottom