• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: PS5 Super Resolution will be aiming for 4K120FPS (future console iterations)

Draugoth

Gold Member
ps5_future_of_gaming.0-1.jpg

PlayStation’s new Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR), which will first be integrated into the PlayStation 5 Pro is internally aiming for 4K 120 FPS and 8K 60FPS console gaming, Insider Gaming has learned.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whilst these are not the targets for the PS5 Pro due to hardware limitations, it is the internal goal for PSSR in future console interactions. The PlayStation 5 Pro PSSR currently supports 3840×2160 and is currently aiming for 4K 60 FPS and 8K 30FPS, but it’s unclear if those internal milestones can be passed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Whilst these are not the targets for the PS5 Pro due to hardware limitations, it is the internal goal for PSSR in future console interactions. The PlayStation 5 Pro PSSR currently supports 3840×2160 and is currently aiming for 4K 60 FPS and 8K 30FPS, but it’s unclear if those internal milestones can be passed.

Fine by me. PSSR is being baked into PS5 Pro specifically for 60 fps modes.

wcfhiTH.png

Probably a real big deal when it comes to Gran Turismo in the future. I believe they've been doing 8K scans of vehicles to future proof them, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I also think this has a lot of implications for a Sony handheld and delivering desired fidelity without sacrificing as much battery or requiring as much power. More convinced than ever that a PlayStation handheld is coming.

It also has major implications for cloud gaming in the future in tandem with the company SIE just bought for better compression... the combination could very well be the future of PlayStation.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, title definitely should be updated. It shouldn't be "PS5 is aiming for that," it should be "PSSR is aiming for 4K120 and 4K60 in FUTURE consoles".

Last edited:
Headline is wrong Draugoth Draugoth , they're specifically talking about PSSR which will be used starting with PS5 Pro and future PS console iterations.

PS5 Super Resolution doesn't even exist / make sense since PSSR is AI upscaling tech akin do DLSS / XeSS and will not be supported on the current PS5 HW.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Don’t these frame generators add to latency?

For the Nvidia solution that is currently in place, due to Nvidia Reflex, no.

But what you're getting is the visual fluidity of 120fps with the input latency of whatever FPS it's actually rendering at. So it will look like/render at 90-100fps with frame gen but it will "feel" like 60fps in responsiveness, for example

Long story short is it's an amazing innovation in tech.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Great to see, this kind of tech is sorely needed for consoles.

Dumb question: how is this better/worse/different from FSR3? Is there potential for this tech to come to PCs as well?

Sounds too good to be true.
AI-based upscaling + frame generation have been a thing on PC for a while and the results are extremely impressive. There’s nothing unbelievable about this.

Probably a real big deal when it comes to Gran Turismo in the future. I believe they've been doing 8K scans of vehicles to future proof them, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I also think this has a lot of implications for a Sony handheld and delivering desired fidelity without sacrificing as much battery or requiring as much power. More convinced than ever that a PlayStation handheld is coming.

It also has major implications for cloud gaming in the future in tandem with the company SIE just bought for better compression... the combination could very well be the future of PlayStation.
When they did the premium car scans for Gran Turismo 5 they also said that they were "future proofed." Then Kaz decided they weren't good enough and had them do them again for GT Sport/7 lol

The first set of scans actually probably were good enough, but he is a perfectionist so......

Topher

Gold Member
Dumb question: how is this better/worse/different from FSR3? Is there potential for this tech to come to PCs as well?

My guess is Sony took FSR and fine-tuned it specfically for PlayStation hardware, PS5 Pro and forward. Doubt we see it on PC.

Didn't Spiderman 2 already achieve 60fps with Raytracing?

Sounds like a rather small jump.

Most devs don't achieve that though. Several devs complain about what it takes to get 60fps and this will help make that job easier.

When they did the premium car scans for Gran Turismo 5 they also said that they were "future proofed." Then Kaz decided they weren't good enough and had them do them again for GT Sport/7 lol

The first set of scans actually probably were good enough, but he is a perfectionist so......

8K is as future proof as you're going to get. In reality 4K is more than future proofed enough. 1080p was never got to be future proof.

saintjules

Tom too likes to break up the reveal into certain pieces for foot traffic.

Kind of like how GAF does it, but with threads.

Fbh

On the one hand I think companies like Sony investing in upscaling and frame generation tech is really smart. As long as consoles remain affordable they'll always have to deal with hardware limitations, and this is a good way to get more out of weak hardware. If they can get their own tech that's as good as DLSS that's going to be a big boost for future consoles.

On the other hand though I'm not a fan of the current implementation of upscaling tech on consoles. I thought FSR2 would be used to get 1080p-1440p games to look a bit nicer, instead it seems like increasingly more devs are using it as an excuse to render at fucking 720-800p which looks terrible even with FSR. Hopefully this doens't just make the issue worse.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Most devs don't achieve that though. Several devs complain about what it takes to get 60fps and this will help make that job easier.
Yeah, I get that.

Just funny to see people discussing the need for Sony to release a Pro to prevent gamers going to PC and then reading about a new rendering technique for a Pro to get from 1080p/60 to 1440p/60.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I get that.

Just funny to see people discussing the need for Sony to release a Pro to prevent gamers going to PC and then reading about a new rendering technique for a Pro to get from 1080p/60 to 1440p/60.

More to it than that, but I don't think that is why Sony is releasing a pro.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So it will look like/render at 90-100fps with frame gen but it will "feel" like 60fps in responsiveness, for example
Amusing fact here that is largely not known, but we already had some AAA games do exactly this(simulate at 30, output at interpolated 60) several generations ago(specifically on PS360).
And noone picked up on it(not even DF).

That said as I mention above, we can do even better.
Also I'd personally take frame gen as a mitigation for unstable fps, as opposed to using DRS and stuff. Its also more practical to do so on a console with full control over swap chain though.

Killjoy-NL

Its way more than just going from 1080p to 1440p

I just look forward to seeing this machine actually run and not what things say on paper.
Just trying to follow the logic on Gaf.

We haven't even seen what PS5 is truly capable of as, apart from Spiderman 2, there is barely any real current-gen title that really tries to push PS5. Certainly not from Sony.
Spiderman 2 even managed to get a 60fps with ray-tracing mode, while Gaf claimed it would be impossible.

Now we have Gaf cheering about a Pro that goes 1440p/60.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just trying to follow the logic on Gaf.

We haven't even seen what PS5 is truly capable of as, apart from Spiderman 2, there is barely any real current-gen title that really tries to push PS5. Certainly not from Sony.
Spiderman 2 even managed to get a 60fps with ray-tracing mode, while Gaf claimed it would be impossible.

Now we have Gaf cheering about a Pro that goes 1440p/60.
Going to be a lot of back and forth for the next 6+ months because how few people know what this PSSR is capable of and how Devs will use it

Native 4K 60fps will never happen this generation. The hardware simply isn't up to par. Yes for indie games.

But we won't see a natively 4K rendered GT7 running 60FPS.
Checkerboarded 4K isnt the same as native 4K.

A lot of people fail to acknowledge this and will say "It runs GameX native 4K at 60fps." No it doest. It just doesnt.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My guess is Sony took FSR and fine-tuned it specfically for PlayStation hardware, PS5 Pro and forward. Doubt we see it on PC.
Mainly wondering if this is running on some version of RDNA 3/4/whatever or if it’s some proprietary Sony thing. If Sony really decided to roll their own upscaling/frame gen tech instead of going with AMD’s solution then that raises some interesting questions!

Either way it’s great to see this finally coming to consoles. It breaks my heart that gamers with their 4K120 TVs have to choose between like, upscaled 1080p vs 4K 30 FPS.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So let me get this clear. This pssr thing ps5 pro can run games at Say 1800p and using this pssr can upscale the game to look like its running at 4k or 8k? Leaving alot of headroom for the cpu or gpu to maximise the fps to run at 60/120fps? Am I right?
Its how I THINK I understand one way it can be used

Topher

Gold Member
Mainly wondering if this is running on some version of RDNA 3/4/whatever or if it’s some proprietary Sony thing. If Sony really decided to roll their own upscaling/frame gen tech instead of going with AMD’s solution then that raises some interesting questions!

Either way it’s great to see this finally coming to consoles. It breaks my heart that gamers with their 4K120 TVs have to choose between like, upscaled 1080p vs 4K 30 FPS.

Some folks are fine with 4k 30. I don't get it, but that's fine. This ain't for them. To me, this takes away any excuse a dev has for 30fps only modes.

This would be absolutely useless. You can buy a decent PC for that kind of money with (probably) similar specs.

No Way Reaction GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is very nice to know.

Top Bottom