• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: PS5 Super Resolution will be aiming for 4K120FPS (future console iterations)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I am blocked by the OP author so can't see all his Tweets but..

Kinda sad that he blocked a person like you. Hate that John is that ththin-skinned

His main argument is 30fps titles will stay at 30fps. I mean, what 30fps titles? He is even admitting what they showed of PSSR is promising (nice). Just bad faith arguments all along.

Also, just wait for next-gen 2025-2026 meaning don't buy PS5 Pro, just buy next Xbox.

Exactly. These Xbox dudes will say anything to "win the war".

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Just somebody complaining about the CPU and memory being a bottleneck and how the console will be a waste of money, while completely missing the fact that it would be worth it for PSSR alone. John is completely correct on this.

Its odd I could see the Tweet once I posted it here :)

I agree John is spot on here, people underestimate PSSR

I really thought people fully understood how much of a gamechanger DLSS has been for nvidia graphics cards but seeing so many people focus overwhelmingly on raw compute suggests otherwise

S0ULZB0URNE

Its for what now?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Same question for you

midnightAI

Same question for you
Why on earth would developers use an AI upscaler to do downscaling? You are literally using all the power of the GPU just to get an 8K image, and then downscaling to 4k, why not just target 4K in the first place? (You also don't need AI/specific scaling hardware to do super sampling)

The goal of PSSR is simple (not sure why people aren't getting this)... It allows developers to target 1080p which gives them more resources for the GPU. PSSR will then reconstruct the image to 4K, so even if internally it's 1080p the outputted resolution is native 4k.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Why on earth would developers use an AI upscaler to do downscaling? You are literally using all the power of the GPU just to get an 8K image, and then downscaling to 4k, why not just target 4K in the first place? (You also don't need AI/specific scaling hardware to do super sampling)

The goal of PSSR is simple (not sure why people aren't getting this)... It allows developers to target 1080p which gives them more resources for the GPU. PSSR will then reconstruct the image to 4K, so even if internally it's 1080p the outputted resolution is native 4k.
Like I said.... going by past and present rumors(if correct)they will.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes, upscaling to 8k is possible (I still don't see it happening much due to 8k take-up), but you said 8k downscaled to 4k which is completely different
Ok you said your opinion over and over.

Right I did and that's what it would be for those who didn't own a 8K tv.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Because native 1440p upscaled to 8k can provide better IQ than native 4k.

2. 1440p internal resolution upscaled to 8k provides better IQ than Native 4k w/TAA in most instances. DS had texture bug issues in Alex's testing

M1uefiZ.jpg

Gamerguy84

I have the game and didn't realize HFW was native 4K 30 on PS5 with 1800 performance mode. It's a phenomenal looking game.

I don't know why they could hit 4K with their own engine and UE5 runs like shit

Maybe they really are trying to hit 8K with ai upscaling using proprietary engines built for PS5 and PRO and this isn't BS

Last edited:
I appreciate the effort by Sony to offer this kind of technology to developers. However, we all know how this will play out: A couple Sony exclusives will make use of it while the majority of developers will just go with fluctuating 30fps stutter fests for their "cinematic" experiences. You can't patch out incompetent, lazy and/or ignorant devs and publishers. It won't find broad adoption if it's not as easy to implement as "flipping a switch", which of course it isn't.

midnightAI

Because native 1440p upscaled to 8k can provide better IQ than native 4k.
That's upscaling, the argument was PSSR would be used for downscaling from 8k to 4k, which it won't. I'm not arguing that they could upscale from 1440p to 8k using PSSR then just output at 4k.

Devs will likely use 1080p to 4k or 1440p to 8k.

sachos

Next-gen gaming with vastly improved CPU and AI/RT with frame generation will be awesome. That's why im unsure about the rumors of a next gen Xbox as soon as late 2025, i think its too soon, gotta let AI/RT HW improve at least a couple of more years. Next gen needs to achieve path tracing in most games imo.

Insane how the "We believe in generations" was literally never understood.

30fps games will and should NEVER die. The industry will destroy itself if this happened.

Hopefully not. This would be the dumbest move ever.
If standard televisions supported HDMI 2.1 and 120hz, you would see a higher proliferation of 40fps games.

However since most television monitors only support 60hz, game developers often optimize for the LCD. That’s why many games will only ever support 30fps and 60fps options despite gaming consoles being able to support higher frame rates.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Next-gen gaming with vastly improved CPU and AI/RT with frame generation will be awesome. That's why im unsure about the rumors of a next gen Xbox as soon as late 2025, i think its too soon, gotta let AI/RT HW improve at least a couple of more years. Next gen needs to achieve path tracing in most games imo.
I think for consoles we need to achieve playable RT in 60fps first.

vkbest

That's upscaling, the argument was PSSR would be used for downscaling from 8k to 4k, which it won't. I'm not arguing that they could upscale from 1440p to 8k using PSSR then just output at 4k.

Devs will likely use 1080p to 4k or 1440p to 8k.

PSSR is not upscaling, it’s a reconstruction tech. You can’t understand so basic thing despite “AI” is in your nickname.

Last edited:

midnightAI

PSSR is not upscaling, it’s a reconstruction tech. You can’t understand so basic thing despite “AI” is in your nickname.
And that reconstruction tech is used in pretty much every case to..... ? That's right, reconstruct an image at higher resolution. I was simplifying the terminology as its primary use will be to go from a lower resolution to 4k (or even 8k)

Follow the conversation that I was having, the argument was that the Pro would render everything at 8k and then use PSSR to reconstruct (downscale in this case) at 4k, I argued it would never be used for that and it's primary use would be to reconstruct a 1080p image to 4k (upscale (also 1440p to 8k, etc.)).

(Also the AI in my name is nothing to do with Artificial Intelligence, it actually stands for Alien Invention)

Last edited:
Uh, yes PSSR is upscaling. It upscales through reconstructing new frames temporally using AI algorithms.

The entire point of it is to upscale from lower resolutions, not downsample from higher resolutions. It's meant to save performance by rendering at lower internal resolutions while producing image quality comparable to higher native resolutions. There may be a "native +" component to it which allows developers to target higher image quality at native resolution and antialias on top of that, but the primary use case for PSSR is to upscale from low resolutions.

Top Bottom