• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

Red-Town

I have to say, this is a very important point where I say PS5 hardware is in my opinion A last generation Technology with Some RDNA 2.0 add to it. This is the 2nd next gen exclusive game that has been performing under par. R&C 1440p and now this game at 1080p. It's not starting off well, oh yes I told you so..........
CAJFTtV.gif

Zoro7

Banned
Every console warrior brushed me off when I told everyone that this generation had weak hardware for 6-7yr sprint. These consoles were already tapped out a long time ago. And by "tapped out", I mean bandwidth bottlenecks were readily apparent very very early on. It doesn't mean there won't be great looking games like R&C. But it does mean people need to get their expectations in check. You'll find more art driven talent per studio than you will a showcase of some graphical tour de force.
This is why people mock you and laugh at you. Continue to give us entertainment.

ethomaz

Banned
RECONSTRUCTION IS UPSCALING
I don't remember any temporal reconstruction algorithm doing scaling :pie_thinking:

Scaling algorithms basically stretch the imagine creating guessed pixels to complete it.
Temporal reconstruction algorithms just complete a image with actual render data from a old image.

The first case it is create approximated pixels to complete the image.
The second case it used pixels already rendered to complete the image.

Temporal reconstruction results in a fully native rendered image... if you do pixels count you a 4k reconstructed image is a full native 4k image while the upscalling not.

But how do we know the image generated by the temporal reconstruction is different from a native 4k render? Well there are tricks and tips to look for common artifacts generated by the temporal reconstruction that doesn't show on native render.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The SDK will be continually developed and Sony will probably reduce the OS memory allocation at some point as they've done in previous gens, freeing up more memory for games. If you think games aren't going to improve graphically then you're wrong.
Graphically to me means loading down the GPU with more things to do. Memory is a non-issue. I'm not talking about "prettier" games than R&C for example. Which I think you are trying to say. The GPU has it's limits and we are already seeing it. No amount of optimization is going to push the GPU to levels rivaling a RTX3090/6900XT (which are also too slow for implementing full on RT @ native 4k/60FPS).

SLB1904

Banned
Every console warrior brushed me off when I told everyone that this generation had weak hardware for 6-7yr sprint. These consoles were already tapped out a long time ago. And by "tapped out", I mean bandwidth bottlenecks were readily apparent very very early on. It doesn't mean there won't be great looking games like R&C. But it does mean people need to get their expectations in check. You'll find more art driven talent per studio than you will a showcase of some graphical tour de force.
ratchet is literally the best-looking game we have ever seen... on weak hardware... that doesn't make sense.

hroerekr

Disappointing because now it was pointed out image quality is reconstructed from 1080p? But before that, no one had any issues with it nor did anyone express their disappointment when we were getting tons of trailers, preview vids.

The resulting difference in IQ is noticeable. The DF technical analysis is just pointing out the reason.
If you can't see the difference, that's good for you. Jut don't assume others are on the same page.

scydrex

You do know that if 1 process Item from RDNA2 is on the chip it can be called RDNA 2.0. So if it used a L2, or a Schedule or a RBE, or a cu. Technically it can be called RDNA 2. So good luck with that.

Ok and where does it says what process item the chip have? Please share with me the info so i can learn. :)

what game looks better than ratchet?
Why must you go down the console warrior route? You like the art direction of R&C, I prefer better looking games from a objective point of view. Like games that are doing the full slew of raytracing, all the bells and whistles included, and then some. That shouldn't affect you and your enjoyment of the game. Not sure why you guys always stoop down to such a low level like this.

And to answer your question, there are plenty of better looking games, especially once you factor in full raytracing, higher res, much better framerates. But again, that would be going off topic.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
And therefore a not-insignificant portion of fanboys on here are flagrant hypocrites who can't be trusted to say anything since their principles shift overnight without even the slightest honest acknowledgement.
You already said that but still I don't understand what's the point to defend the post as I have quoted.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why must you go down the console warrior route?
Bro, making comments like the typical PCMR schtick that several in here are doing, like "weak hardware," "bottlenecked before they came out," etc., whether true or not, is every bit "console warring" and we all know it.

It's elitist cunt shit designed to antagonize console gamers, real talk. And my main platform is PC again, but I can spot the "talking down to" someone in here is known for and has a rep with.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Graphically to me means loading down the GPU with more things to do. Memory is a non-issue. I'm not talking about "prettier" games than R&C for example. Which I think you are trying to say. The GPU has it's limits and we are already seeing it. No amount of optimization is going to push the GPU to levels rivaling a RTX3090/6900XT (which are also too slow for implementing full on RT @ native 4k/60FPS).
You Dont Say Nicholas Cage GIF

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Why must you go down the console warrior route? You like the art direction of R&C, I prefer better looking games from a objective point of view. Like games that are doing the full slew of raytracing, all the bells and whistles included, and then some. That shouldn't affect you and your enjoyment of the game. Not sure why you guys always stoop down to such a low level like this.

And to answer your question, there are plenty of better looking games, especially once you factor in full raytracing, higher res, much better framerates. But again, that would be going off topic.
giphy.gif

Bro, making comments like the typical PCMR schtick that several in here are doing, like "weak hardware," "bottlenecked before they came out," etc., whether true or not, is every bit "console warring" and we all know it.

It's elitist cunt shit designed to antagonize console gamers, real talk. And my main platform is PC again, but I can spot the "talking down to" someone in here is known for and has a rep with.
Only problem is, I'm not doing any of that, regardless that it's true. You can't sit up here and claim x,y,z game is the best looking game ever, without subjective written across your forehead. Now if you were to ask if R&C implements graphical tech that hasn't been done before/not available in other games, then I would completely understand.

An opinion should never be upheld as a factual statement.

Because you may or may not like something, doesn't make it wrong, false, or that someone is talking down about it. Come on man, your better than this.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Man. why do you get so triggered by the comments? You are being a hypocrite. You are doing exactly what I was doing with the R&C = Pixar bullshit. A mod told me to "cope" and everyone laughed. Now you can't cope with the facts?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Then stop acting like it will. It's not the end of the world if these companies have already reached max capabilities of the PS5 in rendering.
Don't say bullshit for the fuck sake. Your post always touch the limits of the trolling and it's quite annoying from a person who define himself a veteran of the industry. Housemark is still a modest company, doesn't have even the resource to compete to other AAA and we are at the start of the generation, use their game as universal benchmark is quite unfair. But you are not new to spit out exaggerated provocation when you talk about console performance.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Expect internal resolutions on both consoles to keep dropping as we get into next-gen games. But it's not really a problem if the devs can get good upscaling techniques in place. I would rather them cheat on resolution and provide us with more effects and better frame rate.

Actually : reconstructed 1440p, with checkerboard techniques pushed to 2160p.

Guess who will try to spin it as 1080p. :/

There did not use any upscale from what DF says.
Temporal reconstruction created a full native 1440p image... not a upscalled one... the issues in most cases are the artifacts.
"At its heart, Returnal operates at a relatively low internal resolution, then uses a couple of techniques to boost the quality of the output. This starts with temporal reconstruction to 1440p, followed by a checkerboarding pass to deliver a 2160p output."
1080p reconstructed to 1440p checkerboarded to 4K upscaled to 8K and supersampled to 16K....

Jokes aside, consoles need something like DLSS (maybe Pro consoles will have it?), TAA upscaling is garbage.
AMD is supposed to have something, but they have yet to release it. They're saying it will come to consoles when it it comes to GPUs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Only problem is, I'm not doing any of that, regardless that it's true. You can't sit up here and claim x,y,z game is the best looking game ever, without subjective written across your forehead. Now if you were to ask if R&C implements graphical tech that hasn't been done before/not available in other games, then I would completely understand.

An opinion should never be upheld as a factual statement.

Because you may or may not like something, doesn't make it wrong, false, or that someone is talking down about it. Come on man, your better than this.
I am not talking about that, and I agree with you the majority of the time on here. I am talking about this example below...

He knows what he is doing when he does it, but then cries victim.
Man. why do you get so triggered by the comments? You are being a hypocrite. You are doing exactly what I was doing with the R&C = Pixar bullshit. A mod told me to "cope" and everyone laughed. Now you can't cope with the facts?
If You Say So Shrug GIF

I'm not a victim and never will pretend to be one in the great gaming war.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Don't say bullshit for the fuck sake.
Oh I back up every bit of what I say. I *always* prefix an opinion that I make with "personally I". If I don't say that, then either you find a counter fact on the internet or accept what I'm saying is fact. I'm very very careful about that. If Returnal could do everything it's doing now @ native 4k, it would have. The GPU power just isn't there. Still a beautiful game though.

Last edited:

scydrex

I always see that behavior with the PCMR schtick. Talking down on consoles, comments ¨weak hardware before they came out¨ that´s is always the case. Totally agree with this.

I don't remember any temporal reconstruction algorithm doing scaling :pie_thinking:

Scaling algorithms basically stretch the imagine creating guessed pixels to complete it.
Temporal reconstruction algorithms just complete a image with actual render data from a old image.

The first case it is create approximated pixels to complete the image.
The second case it used pixels already rendered to complete the image.

Temporal reconstruction results in a fully native rendered image... if you do pixels count you a 4k reconstructed image is a full native 4k image while the upscalling not.

But how do we know the image generated by the temporal reconstruction is different from a native 4k render? Well there are tricks and tips to look for common artifacts generated by the temporal reconstruction that doesn't show on native render.
From the article
"The end result is a presentation that looks better than the native 1080p pixel counts that tend to emerge from untreated geometry, but this can't really pass as a full-blooded 4K presentation, dynamic or otherwise - especially on certain textures with high specularity, such as wet ground and water surfaces, where you can sometimes see an obvious moire pattern. Image quality in general can sometimes look a little fuzzy or grainy in motion too, owing to the TAA upscaling and checkerboarding."
I'm not knocking the game. You 2 are just in a semantics war with me but you are both wrong so I can't give up haha.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
R&C is the best looking game ever to you. It's a completely subjective comment. It's got a great artistic vibe with excellent presentation. But it's not a game representative of heavy duty GPU algorithms that only the PS5 can do. Let's keep it real gents!

When I look at R&C now all I see is a whole bunch of lights flying around everywhere that don't behave like lights. Weapons, enemies, npcs, environments, etc. Thanks Metro Exodus.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I always see that behavior with the PCMR schtick. Talking down on consoles, comments ¨weak hardware before they came out¨ that´s is always the case. Totally agree with this.
It's not elitist though and not meant to demean the consoles. Nvidia/AMD pushed out an entire generation ahead of the next-gen consoles and those cards are struggling at native 4k. These comments (at least not mine) aren't meant to stir the bees nest. It's to encourage people to accept limitations so expectations won't be through the roof.

Let's get back on topic though. Returnal...

Last edited:
I am not talking about that, and I agree with you the majority of the time on here. I am talking about this example below...

He knows what he is doing when he does it, but then cries victim.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

I'm not a victim and never will pretend to be one in the great gaming war.
Yeah, we generally agree on most stuff. But I kinda have to agree with him here. I don't have the experience that he has, but he definitely knows more than most people on here when it comes to graphics pipeline. A game can be a nice technical feat, like CP2077 for example. Big open world, with amazing lighting, textures, effects, etc. But the game kinda fell flat on it's face because of the bugs, gameplay, etc.

R&C looks gorgeous, but it still is 30fps w/ limited RT, etc. Subjectively, it can be the best looking game to some, but objectively, it's not doing much compared to CP2077. So we'll be at the point of splitting hairs on whether we are talking subjectively (opinionated), or objectively (factually).

I think everyone should take a moment to step away from the keyboards, and think to themselves: "What if x,y,z game that I'm constantly shilling for, were on Xbox or PC instead, would I still be shilling for no shillings?" If people can admit these things, we would be in a much better place on GAF.

Last edited:
Frankly resolution is well past the point of diminishing returns. The average person can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, much less checkerboarded 4k vs true 4k. Housemarque made the right call to cut corners on resolution in order to focus on other elements.

assurdum

Banned
Oh I back up every bit of what I say. I *always* prefix an opinion that I make with "personally I". If I don't say that, then either you find a counter fact on the internet or accept what I'm saying is fact. I'm very very careful about that. If Returnal could do everything it's doing now @ native 4k, it would have. The GPU power just isn't there. Still a beautiful game though.
When ever I said that? You continually push the argumentation to the extreme to have the point and you are quite wrong many times in your "catch" as us common mortal. You can't use a game at the start of the generation as benchmark of the console limits. It's completely wrong and incorrect for many technical reasons. I'd like to see you spit out this nonsense in the face off Matt ex engineer of the ps5 just to see how reverse your argumentations as an acrobat but obviously you use such argumentations in a forum like this because it's quite easy prevaricate when most of the people can't have a similar conversation for their limited knowledge.

Last edited:

scydrex

It's not elitist though and not meant to demean the consoles. Nvidia/AMD pushed out an entire generation ahead of the next-gen consoles and those cards are struggling at native 4k. These comments (at least not mine) aren't meant to stir the bees nest. It's to encourage people to accept limitations so expectations won't be through the roof.

Let's get back on topic though. Returnal...
OK. So do you think if Returnal 2 if they make it some day. It will run less 1080p internal resolution if they upgrade the graphics or push the graphics more? If it´s struggling right now? IDK maybe 900p or 720 internal resolution? Because well if they can´t push the GPU and if it´s struggling right now... that´s the obvious think to happen no?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
From the article
"The end result is a presentation that looks better than the native 1080p pixel counts that tend to emerge from untreated geometry, but this can't really pass as a full-blooded 4K presentation, dynamic or otherwise - especially on certain textures with high specularity, such as wet ground and water surfaces, where you can sometimes see an obvious moire pattern. Image quality in general can sometimes look a little fuzzy or grainy in motion too, owing to the TAA upscaling and checkerboarding."
I'm not knocking the game. You 2 are just in a semantics war with me but you are both wrong so I can't give up haha.
Because these are two different concepts.
TAA can be applied after you upscalled the image or TAA can be used in a reconstruction of the image.

Upscaling is different from reconstruction.

Upscaling created pixels that doesn't exists.
Temporal reconstruction use pixels already created.

You can use AI upscaling for reconstruction too... but that is another case and don't use temporal frames... aka DLSS.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Sorry, but this running at 1080p60 after what we saw of Ratchet last night, almost certainly running at least at 1440p30 plus RT reflections, is a bit of a pisstake, whichever way you cut it.

I know Insomniac are wizards, but their game looks a good generation better than this. That's surely not the best result, regardless of the final IQ (which DF even said wasn't that great anyway, remember).

Even if 1080p was the most efficient resolution in terms of other resources, you'd expect to see that return much better overall graphics than this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, we generally agree on most stuff. But I kinda have to agree with him here. I don't have the experience that he has, but he definitely knows more than most people on here when it comes to graphics pipeline. A game can be a nice technical feat, like CP2077 for example. Big open world, with amazing lighting, textures, effects, etc. But the game kinda fell flat on it's face because of the bugs, gameplay, etc.

R&C looks gorgeous, but it still is 30fps w/ limited RT, etc. Subjectively, it can be the best looking game to some, but objectively, it's not doing much compared to CP2077. So we'll be at the point of splitting hairs on whether we are talking subjectively (opinionated), or objectively (factually).

I think everyone should take a moment to step away from the keyboards, and think to themselves: "What if x,y,z game that I'm constantly shilling for, were on Xbox or PC instead, would I still be shilling for no shillings?" If people can admit these things, we would be in a much better place on GAF.
Again, I am not talking about games in this instance.

Because these are two different concepts.
TAA can be applied after you upscalled the image or TAA can be used in a reconstruction of the image.

Upscaling is different from reconstruction.

Upscaling created pixels that doesn't exists.
Reconstruction use pixels already created.
When the image is reconstructed, would the end result be at the same resolution as initially? Or would it increase in resolution? If it becomes a higher resolution image afterwards, would that not be considered upscaled from prior resolution?

Spokker

Frankly resolution is well past the point of diminishing returns. The average person can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, much less checkerboarded 4k vs true 4k. Housemarque made the right call to cut corners on resolution in order to focus on other elements.
Every developer has to make the right choices for their specific game. Returnal's gameplay style absolutely demands 60 frames per second.

But there is something to be said for 4K. It is a very noticeable a tangible upgrade especially for those who sit closer to the TV and enjoy the details washing over them. Putting a clean 4K image (or close to it) on the screen gives me a kind of glass window effect, where it's like looking through a window that has been freshly Windexed. Hard to describe. I get this feeling moreso with 4K Dolby Vision movies, but some games that run at high resolutions get close.

VFXVeteran

Banned
When ever I said that? You continually push the argumentation to the extreme to have the point and you are quite wrong many times in your "catch" as us common mortal. You can't use a game at the start of the generation as benchmark of the console limits. It's completely wrong and incorrect.
As a programmer, you can find out the limits on a GPU very quickly. I wrote a small OpenGL renderer to test the feasiblity of realtime lighting in a film production workflow. I took one asset - Shaggy from the Scooby Doo movie - and loaded all the textures (UDIM specs) on the character. It was well over 10 4k texture maps. The GPU crashed due to running out of memory. I quickly abandoned the effort.

If it was struggling with 1 asset and textures for that asset, no amount of optimization was going to have me render an entire scene (even if rasterized) of these characters.

I said all of that to say these devs aren't dumb. The PS5 architecture and API is very similar to the PS4. Yea, they may need some experience with ray-tracing as all these devs spent their lives around rasterization. But if we look at the facts (i.e. even the RTX 3090 can't do full on RT without DLSS), it's not a knock on consoles to assume they won't either for the entire generation.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
When the image is reconstructed, would the end result be at the same resolution as initially? Or would it increase in resolution? If it becomes a higher resolution image afterwards, would that not be considered upscaled from prior resolution?
You can call that but the concept of upscaling is to create pixels to fill the game.
In the temporal reconstruction it is using pixels from previous frames... all pixels were rendered by the GPU.

Upscaling give you a image that is scaled up and not native.
Temporal retroconstruction gives you a native image.

The famous checkboard give you a final native image and not a upscalled one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom