• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

The forever waiting game lol

Playstation owners, I should know I'm one of them, have waited forever for many of their best releases generation after generation. Let's not pretend there isn't a wait period for a console's biggest hitters each generation.

By this logic, Xbox One started off way better than PS4 did because we had Ryse, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and a number of other new generation releases like Sunset Overdrive at launch or close to the launch period. Xbox owners are more than likely playing Starfield THIS year, which is probably going to be one of the best and biggest games released this gen. Go ahead and point me to Fallout 76 if you will, but that game is significantly improved from its initial troubled launch. It doesn't change what Bethesda's track record as a studio has been for big singleplayer releases. They're always among the best games every generation without fail. Doom isn't just going to start being trash. Their entire team of studios aren't active and going full tilt. Yes, Playstation can look forward to two amazing looking titles in Deathloop and my personally more anticipated Ghostwire: Tokyo this year, which is a huge coup by Sony I'll admit, but there are plenty for Xbox owners to play even without those for a year, and we all know they're going straight to game pass when that exclusivity period is up lol.

We are certainly playing Halo Infinite this year, a game that's looking like it will be the most ambitious Halo project ever and do things the series has only dreamed of from the start. Potentially Forza Horizon 5 if rumors are to be believed. There's CrossfireX sp campaign coming from Remedy, there's There's also The Ascent, The Gunk, Bright Memory Infinite, Chorus that amazing looking space combat game scheduled for 2021. I'm a huge RPG fan so of course Scarlet Nexus from a top tier Japanese RPG studio is one of my most anticipated games. Not exclusive right? Who cares. The point is there are plenty of amazing games to look forward on the platform. Xbox owners have had Yakuza Like a Dragon since launch, which is honestly one amazing fucking game, one of the best videogames released in years, a total GOTY candidate for me.

You kinda talk out both sides of your mouth in a way. One minute it's that Sony takes their time because their games are so good, and Sony is investing in big releases, then when Microsoft is openly doing the exact same suddenly the talk changes. You're not willing to wait for God of War Ragnarock? You're not willing to wait for the next big Naughty Dog project? You're not willing to wait for Horizon II? You're not willing to wait for the Days Gone Studio's next big release? You haven't been patiently waiting for Ratchet and Clank?

And because plenty of us as it's being proven STILL play old games as evidenced from reactions to games getting next gen upgrades or 60fps enhancements, clearly people are looking forward to a variety of anticipated next gen upgrades for existing big releases. Oh, I think this unproven IP called Battlefield coming this year, and I suppose Xbox gamers can give that risky venture a go too. How exactly are Xbox gamers starved for games when we have so many coming our way and still being dropped on us on a regular interval through Game Pass? We literally got MLB The Show for free... we got Outriders for free through Game Pass. We got Octopath Traveler for free through Game Pass. We might even end up getting Battlefield dropped on there.

So yea, dial it down a tad with the fanboy nonsense. Xbox owners aren't lacking a thing. Only way your false concern is even remotely warranted is if Microsoft just up and decides to cancel avowed, fable, perfect dark, indiana jones, everwild, the next elder scrolls and just about everything they have coming. If it hasn't sunk in yet, this isn't the same Xbox from the Xbox One generation.

3liteDragon

You don't need a crystal ball to know that a 500 dollars machine with barely 10 tf can't sustain 4k60 for 6-8 years when a faaaar more powerfull 5000 pc can't run cyberpunk at 4k60, an "old gen" game...and if you don't like cyberpunk example, you have several older games that can't do that.

No amount of ssd secret sauce or good intentions is gonna change that, 4k60 is heavy AF.
And it is the same with Sex, this is not some console war bullshit, just the reality of facts.
You're putting way too much emphasis on the TFLOPs metric here, it should give you an idea of how the machine should perform but shouldn't be the sole indicator of performance overall. And I'm not talking about games running at native 4K at 60FPS, I bet you'll see upscaled/upsampled 4K@60FPS games throughout this generation with the graphical fidelity of the UE5 demo as devs start using features like mesh/primitive shaders (the biggest gain for the consoles imo, along with a vastly improved CPU and SSD), VRS and etc. I know how much of a meme the whole SSD thing has become around here so I don't even bother trying to explain why the console's SSD is actually a literal game-changer (which it is) when it comes to graphics rendering and game design, I'd rather wait for the first-party games on PS5 to showcase what's possible with it first since seeing it in action is much more easier to understand. I thought people would get it when the UE5 demo came out but apparently not since there's still some who don't understand just how capable the hardware really is, only a few more weeks till E3 now.

ethomaz

Banned
Playstation owners, I should know I'm one of them, have waited forever for many of their best releases generation after generation. Let's not pretend there isn't a wait period for a console's biggest hitters each generation.

By this logic, Xbox One started off way better than PS4 did because we had Ryse, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and a number of other new generation releases like Sunset Overdrive at launch or close to the launch period. Xbox owners are more than likely playing Starfield THIS year, which is probably going to be one of the best and biggest games released this gen. Go ahead and point me to Fallout 76 if you will, but that game is significantly improved from its initial troubled launch. It doesn't change what Bethesda's track record as a studio has been for big singleplayer releases. They're always among the best games every generation without fail. Doom isn't just going to start being trash. Their entire team of studios aren't active and going full tilt. Yes, Playstation can look forward to two amazing looking titles in Deathloop and my personally more anticipated Ghostwire: Tokyo this year, which is a huge coup by Sony I'll admit, but there are plenty for Xbox owners to play even without those for a year, and we all know they're going straight to game pass when that exclusivity period is up lol.

We are certainly playing Halo Infinite this year, a game that's looking like it will be the most ambitious Halo project ever and do things the series has only dreamed of from the start. Potentially Forza Horizon 5 if rumors are to be believed. There's CrossfireX sp campaign coming from Remedy, there's There's also The Ascent, The Gunk, Bright Memory Infinite, Chorus that amazing looking space combat game scheduled for 2021. I'm a huge RPG fan so of course Scarlet Nexus from a top tier Japanese RPG studio is one of my most anticipated games. Not exclusive right? Who cares. The point is there are plenty of amazing games to look forward on the platform. Xbox owners have had Yakuza Like a Dragon since launch, which is honestly one amazing fucking game, one of the best videogames released in years, a total GOTY candidate for me.

You kinda talk out both sides of your mouth in a way. One minute it's that Sony takes their time because their games are so good, and Sony is investing in big releases, then when Microsoft is openly doing the exact same suddenly the talk changes. You're not willing to wait for God of War Ragnarock? You're not willing to wait for the next big Naughty Dog project? You're not willing to wait for Horizon II? You're not willing to wait for the Days Gone Studio's next big release? You haven't been patiently waiting for Ratchet and Clank?

And because plenty of us as it's being proven STILL play old games as evidenced from reactions to games getting next gen upgrades or 60fps enhancements, clearly people are looking forward to a variety of anticipated next gen upgrades for existing big releases. Oh, I think this unproven IP called Battlefield coming this year, and I suppose Xbox gamers can give that risky venture a go too. How exactly are Xbox gamers starved for games when we have so many coming our way and still being dropped on us on a regular interval through Game Pass? We literally got MLB The Show for free... we got Outriders for free through Game Pass. We got Octopath Traveler for free through Game Pass. We might even end up getting Battlefield dropped on there.

So yea, dial it down a tad with the fanboy nonsense. Xbox owners aren't lacking a thing. Only way your false concern is even remotely warranted is if Microsoft just up and decides to cancel avowed, fable, perfect dark, indiana jones, everwild, the next elder scrolls and just about everything they have coming. If it hasn't sunk in yet, this isn't the same Xbox from the Xbox One generation.
I don't know we PS owners plays new games the whole year for decades already... it is a steady release pace... you can be sure to have a game in Feb/Mar/Apr, June/July and Sep/Oct/Nov.

But I agree with you Xbox One launch was way better than Series X|S but you guys crucified Don Matrick... after that the forever waiting game started with Uncle Phil "best Xbox lineup ever created".

Last edited:

Interfectum

I just took it for granted we were gonna have 4K native (or close to it) on PS5 with variable fps. 1080p is not even close. I’m sure it looks great with all the magic tricks used but cold hard numbers are there and it’s not impressive.
If you weren't told these cold hard numbers you wouldn't even know what's going on. It sounds like you are letting techniques that don't actually effect your enjoyment of the game in look or feel cloud your judgement of the end result.

The game could look exactly as it is now and DF could have said it's native 4K and barely anyone would have noticed it wasn't.

Dr Bass

Dude none of this matters until games release. That is the point. Talk is cheap, cheap, cheap, and that's all that has happened under Phil Spencer, and now you're engaging in the exact same behavior. Remember when MS bought Rare and everyone thought, that's it, it's over MS is going to have classic after classic and Nintendo blew it. Nintendo gamers were furious. Well ... how has that been less than basically a disaster for MS? Look at how many benchmarks Rare released under Nintendo. Under MS? Zero.

So yeah. None of what you said matters. It just doesn't. The only thing that matters in life, and this goes for absolutely everything, career, finances, fitness etc, is results. Results are the only thing that matters. That's why Sony and Nintendo don't have to be talking to the press every friggin' day like Microsoft. They are just staying quiet and putting out hit after hit ... after hit .... after hit. And that's what get's people to open up their wallets.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This generation will be the prioritization of fps over resolution, and it's ok. We will soon have super resolution from AMD. The particle effects in this game are amazing.
It's still very wishful thinking if that's going to work even at 10% as well as DLSS or work at all. Not only because it's AMD, it's also that consoles does not have dedicated units for calculation, like nVidia. However when you look at die size of nVidia chips, it kid of make sense.

Fredrik

I think it looks ace.

I own a Series S though so what do I know? :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’m perfectly happy with 1080p upscaled, native 1440p etc.

I actually think targeting 4k is a huge waste of resources and will result in barely any technical advancement this gen.
Yup couldn’t agree more, 4K is the worst way I can think of to waste system resources.

But as I said earlier, my eyes are crap. Maybe I would think differently with perfect eye sight.
As it is I would rather play in 720p at 60fps than native 4K in 30fps. One of the biggest wow scenarios so far this gen for me was seeing fps boost at 120fps on XSX. The extreme fluidity in 120fps games I can easily see. The 4K crispiness in 4K native games can’t be seen unless I sit like a meter from the TV. 🥸

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yup couldn’t agree more, 4K is the worst way I can think of to waste system resources.

But as I said earlier, my eyes are crap. Maybe I would think differently with perfect eye sight.
As it is I would rather play in 720p at 60fps than native 4K in 30fps. One of the biggest wow scenarios so far this gen for me was seeing fps boost at 120fps on XSX. The extreme fluidity in 120fps games I can easily see. The 4K crispiness in 4K native games can’t be seen unless I sit like a meter from the TV. 🥸
I dont know about 720p lol, but yeah give me 1080p/60 over 4k/30 anyday.

Aion002

Parks And Recreation Gimme GIF

Bloody hell! I can't find a ps5 to buy.... Fucking scalpers!

muteZX

Banned
900p/60 showcae .. if you want rock solid 60fps .. 900p is the way .. shocking. Be patched or be gone .. 80 bucks .. such chutzpah !!

I have to say, this is a very important point where I say PS5 hardware is in my opinion A last generation Technology with Some RDNA 2.0 add to it. This is the 2nd next gen exclusive game that has been performing under par. R&C 1440p and now this game at 1080p. It's not starting off well, oh yes I told you so..........

Last edited:

Fredrik

I dont know about 720p lol, but yeah give me 1080p/60 over 4k/30 anyday.
Yeah and I still play on 1080p screens on PC and it looks glooorious, to me. By accepting that res I can play Cyberpunk at 60+ fps in Ultra, Outriders at 100+ fps in Ultra, Horizon Zero Dawn at 80+ fps in Ultra, on a 4 year old graphics card. It has it’s benefits! 😉

scydrex

I have to say, this is a very important point where I say PS5 hardware is in my opinion A last generation Technology with Some RDNA 2.0 add to it. This is the 2nd next gen exclusive game that has been performing under par. R&C 1440p and now this game at 1080p. It's not starting off well, oh yes I told you so..........

Some RDNA 2 and AMD confirmed it was RDNA 2? Haven't this discussed a lot in the past? So? Does R&C at 1440p look bad? What do you want a $500 pc or console for 4k 60fps? 1080p or 1440p 60fps with good IQ take it.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Oh my, it’s good that DF was able give xbox fans an relieve from all the stress induced by the awesomeness from the past two weeks.

I don’t think that was their intention though.

Last edited:

You know someone's triggered when you get an essay response to a 5 word sentence lmao

Dr Bass

Oh my, it’s good that DF was able give xbox fans an relieve from all the stress induced by the awesomeness from the past two weeks.
DF literally says the game has spectacular results too. Grabbing onto a 1080 number and running with it ...

Absolutely no one had an issue with image quality before this. In fact, if you're playing it, I assume you don't either because it looks detailed and sharp.

Entroyp

This generation will be the prioritization of fps over resolution, and it's ok. We will soon have super resolution from AMD. The particle effects in this game are amazing.

This man speaks the truth. Hell, I’m not even bothered by Switch low spec games.

So yea, dial it down a tad with the fanboy nonsense

Looks who is talking

Playstation owners, I should know I'm one of them, have waited forever for many of their best releases generation after generation

One of the bullshitiest post i've ever read. PS5 has a steady release with exclusives, waiting for forever. PS4 already had steady pace with exclusives since 2014, speed up from 2015.... but waiting for forever. :/
But...... I didn't had the problem with Xbone, nor Xseries at all. How transparent

Last edited:

Spitfire098

The bad man is gone now.
its going to be okay x factor GIF

Entroyp

DF literally says the game has spectacular results too. Grabbing onto a 1080 number and running with it ...

Absolutely no one had an issue with image quality before this. In fact, if you're playing it, I assume you don't either because it looks detailed and sharp.

Ya, that’s why I said it was not their intention. They just need to release the stress somehow.

Fuck yes, I’m playing the shit out of it and graphics are some next gen stuff.

Last edited:

chinoXL

1080p....? I admit I haven't watched the video as I will be after work.....so please dont hurt me.....

...But 1080p with frame

this HAS to be a joke post

jdforge

Banned
I really love this developer and have done since Amiga. SSD HD was all I really played on PS3. They really nail the arcade gameplay.

Enjoyed watching that analysis. Returnal is clearly heavily influenced by Metroid Prime and Aliens. Gives hope for how amazing MP4 should turn out.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s much more noticeable with PC gaming because we are standing so close to the monitor, and on top of that a monitor with a good panel tends to be really expensive so people are not only playing so close to it they are staring at a very mediocre panel. Let’s not even mention 4K panels, because that’s almost unseen in the PC space, 1440p is basically it. So it’s always a bit curious how people talk about 4K and PC gaming, when that will represent an extreme minority.

Fact is 4K was pushed by marketing to sell midgen refreshes, and it’s why that for the PS5 most of the marketing is focusing on stuff like the Dual Sense, 3D audio, SSD....

Last edited:
First off I want to say how much I want to play the game. And the particles and lighting are really insane, models look good too.

But 1080p... kinda worried about this generation lol. Just worried about going under 1080p on Ps5 for future games.

Not saying it won't look better than 1080p as i'm sure it does, or that upscaling techniques won't continue to improve, but yeah. I wanted 1440p out of this gen seeing how frequent I saw it on PS4 pro.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean, it's just some guy posting an opinion. Lots of people are clowning themselves. I guarantee that if the first big Xbox exclusive comes out and its 1080p, we'd be hearing about it with a pretty different tone on here.

For me personally, I don't really care all that much about resolution, and always thought it was the least important thing to push past 1080p. That's why I'm also planning on getting a Series S eventually, because 4K is a bit of a waste of resources in my opinion. But then look at how people on here trashed Series S for being a non-4K machine.

The thing that gets people is just the general feeling of hypocrisy.

Some RDNA 2 and AMD confirmed it was RDNA 2? Haven't this discussed a lot in the past? So? Does R&C at 1440p look bad? What do you want a $500 pc or console for 4k 60fps? 1080p or 1440p 60fps with good IQ take it.
You do know that if 1 process Item from RDNA2 is on the chip it can be called RDNA 2.0. So if it used a L2, or a Schedule or a RBE, or a cu. Technically it can be called RDNA 2. So good luck with that.

VFXVeteran

Banned
First off I want to say how much I want to play the game. And the particles and lighting are really insane, models look good too.

But 1080p... kinda worried about this generation lol. Just worried about going under 1080p on Ps5 for future games.

Not saying it won't look better than 1080p as i'm sure it does, or that upscaling techniques won't continue to improve, but yeah. I wanted 1440p out of this gen seeing how frequent I saw it on PS4 pro.
Every console warrior brushed me off when I told everyone that this generation had weak hardware for 6-7yr sprint. These consoles were already tapped out a long time ago. And by "tapped out", I mean bandwidth bottlenecks were readily apparent very very early on. It doesn't mean there won't be great looking games like R&C. But it does mean people need to get their expectations in check. You'll find more art driven talent per studio than you will a showcase of some graphical tour de force.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I mean, it's just some guy posting an opinion. Lots of people are clowning themselves. I guarantee that if the first big Xbox exclusive comes out and its 1080p, we'd be hearing about it with a pretty different tone on here.

For me personally, I don't really care all that much about resolution, and always thought it was the least important thing to push past 1080p. That's why I'm also planning on getting a Series S eventually, because 4K is a bit of a waste of resources in my opinion. But then look at how people on here trashed Series S for being a non-4K machine.

The thing that gets people is just the general feeling of hypocrisy.
It's not an opinion. It's trolling. And say "bu but if it was series X people would troll more" doesn't justifies a stupid argumentation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How often did you get 1440p at 60fps on PS4 Pro though? Not very often right?
I think we should be thankful that devs are prioritizing framerates this time. We might actually get Sony exclusives at 60fps as a standard this gen, last gen it was sacrificed for better graphics but I think even Naughty Dig will get some negativity if they try releasing a game running at 30fps this gen.

Last edited:
Every console warrior brushed me off when I told everyone that this generation had weak hardware for 6-7yr sprint. These consoles were already tapped out a long time ago. And by "tapped out", I mean bandwidth bottlenecks were readily apparent very very early on. It doesn't mean there won't be great looking games like R&C. But it does mean people need to get their expectations in check. You'll find more art driven talent per studio than you will a showcase of some graphically tour de force.
They're not tapped out, but resolution is not one of the aspects that tends to improve over the generation, if anything that tends to go down. And yeah definitely ; bandwidth is a weak point of the consoles just like it was on PS4 pro. Why did eDRAM have to die a death? (besides cost)

Simple solution is to just release more pro consoles.

How often did you get 1440p at 60fps on PS4 Pro though? Not very often right?
I think we should be thankful that devs are prioritizing framerates this time. We might actually get Sony exclusives at 60fps as a standard this gen, last gen it was sacrificed for better graphics but I think even Naughty Dig will get some negativity if they try releasing a game running at 30fps this gen.
Right but still you don't really want to go backwards on the resolution from the previous console. 1440p60 is what I wanted this gen.

And I understand the waters are muddied a bit with the Pro's existence, and base Ps4 to Ps5 is far larger jump.

assurdum

Banned
Every console warrior brushed me off when I told everyone that this generation had weak hardware for 6-7yr sprint. These consoles were already tapped out a long time ago. And by "tapped out", I mean bandwidth bottlenecks were readily apparent very very early on. It doesn't mean there won't be great looking games like R&C. But it does mean people need to get their expectations in check. You'll find more art driven talent per studio than you will a showcase of some graphical tour de force.
Oh Lord GIF by memecandy

Top Bottom