• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Returnal's PC port is good - but it could be great

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Join Alex Battaglia for a deep dive into the fascinating PC port of the PlayStation 5 masterpiece, Returnal. This is a PC version with so much to commend it, including enhanced RT features, big boosts to image quality and one of the best settings screens and benchmarks we've ever seen. It's a patch or two from greatness - but unless you have a high-end CPU, we can't recommend it for everyone in its current state.

-

Text article:

Last edited:

Tomi

Waiting for patch and then gonna play it
Only stuttering is the issue

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
State of #Stutter-Struggle:

There's much to commend this release though and that begins with the game's first boot, where Returnal pre-compiles all shaders, meaning no shader compilation stutter during play. It's a quick step too - just a six second delay on a Core i9 12900K and an admittedly beefier 35 seconds on a mainstream CPU like the Ryzen 5 3600. There is still stutter, however, of two types. First of all, running any of the UE4-based ray tracing effects can cause hitching and stuttering which the developers are looking to track down and eliminate. The current working theory, we're told, is that it may be related to mesh creation. There's also traversal stutter too - nothing new to Returnal veterans, as this is in the PS5 version to this day. Stutter on opening doors? That's a touch offputting too. Traversal stutter can be minimised with a high-end CPU, but it's still there to a certain extent - and it's much more of an issue on less capable CPUs.

Image Scaling:

Image scaling options are wide-ranging - but incomplete. An older version of DLSS is used (you can swap out the .dll for a more recent version if you like), along with XeSS for Intel GPUs. However, only FSR1 from the AMD toolbox is included. Nvidia's NIS is also present, but perhaps of more use for AMD GPUs that support DX12 Ultimate is an actually impressive rendition of tier two variable rate shading (VRS) - a rare thing indeed. There's also a basic spatial upscaler, but a little .ini tweaking can kick in Epic's far more impressive TAAU. Close but no cigar in terms of image upscaling options then, as the lack of FSR2 is frustrating - but the developers tell us they aren't done yet: we should expect to see FSR2 and DLSS 3 integrated in a future patch.

PC Optimized Settings vs PS5 Presets

PC Optimised SettingsApprox PS5 Settings
RT ReflectionsOffOff
RT ShadowsOffOff
Volumetric FogHighHigh
Ambient OcclusionMediumCustom (Low/Med)
Model QualityEpicEpic
Particle QualityHighHigh
Shadow QualityHighHigh
Lighting QualityEpicCustom (Epic)
Texture QualityEpicEpic

Conclusion / Summary:

In summary, there's so much to like about Returnal on PC, aside from its lack of FSR2 at launch and its stutter problems. The settings are excellent, the benchmark is top tier and both of these things should be emulated by other developers. The image quality upgrades alone make this worth looking at, even if you've already played on PS5, while the option to run at 120fps or higher is seriously transformative to a game like this. Honestly, I felt somewhat overpowered playing the game on PC - I did not die during my gameplay run for the b-roll I gathered for the video, all the way up to the third biome, something I could never achieve with a PS5 pad.

But this was the result of playing on a high-end CPU and with ray tracing purposefully turned off to avoid the stutters that are associated with it - and nothing can overcome traversal and door-opening stutter. As good as this port is, these issues are problematic on mainstream CPUs so I would recommend waiting with a purchase if you're on a mid-range rig, where the drawbacks are magnified significantly. On a high-end processor, I can recommend the game as is, with the caveat that ray tracing is disabled. Based on my conversations with the developer throughout the review period, I am optimistic for positive outcomes in addressing my problems with the port as it stands, and we'll do our best to keep you updated with progress.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Like I said 2060 will kill it as long as PS5 generation lasts. Everybody needs to wait for a patch though. These are minor issues and looking at the quality of options here you can bet Housemarque are gonna fix these issues. Omptimized as it should be for most part.

Last edited:

Sanepar

This game is weird. Even with resolution set to 4k it looks like is running @1080p. It looks so blurry even with dlss turned off.

The only game I'm having this and don't know why.

ClosBSAS

disable RT and you can play it just fine...i can brute force it cause i am epic level but toasters cant, so wait for imminent patch. also fsr 2.0 will come on a later update as well as dlss 3. but as for now, the game runs beautifully and plays and looks better than ps5 version.

daninthemix

This game is weird. Even with resolution set to 4k it looks like is running @1080p. It looks so blurry even with dlss turned off.

Do you use display / DPI scaling in Windows? If so go to the Properties of the Returnal exe and change the DPI scaling setting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

This happened to me when I first launched it too. Changing the res then changing it back fixed it for me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PC version smokes the PS5 version. Better image quality, ray tracing, frame rate, resolution, and even assets not visible on PS5.

Best PlayStation port so far perhaps?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC version smokes the PS5 version. Better image quality, ray tracing, frame rate, resolution, and even assets not visible on PS5.

Once they iron out the issues, which apparently they are already working on, it'll probably be for sure.

Cool stuff, here's hoping all future ports show the same ammount of care.

GreatnessRD

Like I said 2060 will kill it as long as PS5 generation lasts. Everybody needs to wait for a patch though. These are minor issues and looking at the quality of options here you can bet Housemarque are gonna fix these issues. Omptimized as it should be for most part.
Hope this shows some folks in GAF that you don't have to update your PC every two weeks in order to play games at reasonably high settings.

Poppyseed

If they can sort the stuttering with any RT on out, yes. I have both PS5 and PC versions and PC smokes PS5. 160fps is glorious.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I seem to have more stutters after the patch today (man, 1.3GB download and taking ages to patch all 35GB or so for some bugs). Maybe I need to adjust settings since some of the fixes are for settings that didn't apply properly so maybe Epic wasn't really Epic before but is now so I stutter more.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Loving this on my PC. Finally a release that isn't absolutely atrocious. After Dead Space being so disappointing with its stutters I needed this win for my PC. Minor hitches in comparison to Dead Space and around about the same stutters as seen in the PS5 version.

PS5 is a beast don't get me wrong, but the PC brings out this games visuals like you wouldn't believe. Everything is so much more crisp I'm in awe that this was hidden behind that 1080p presentation on PS5.

A big win. Excellent game. Hopefully this port gets the issues ironed out, but at least its playable and a substantial upgrade over the PS5.

Buggy Loop

Hey look a post from someone who didn’t watch the video.

Because he does it with a $250 2060 Super.

These peoples keep coming back for more

Digital foundry basically made a PC for console equivalent settings at roughly $800 (could be lower if you watch for deals). They made the build with an Intel Arc 770, imagine that.

GametimeUK

These peoples keep coming back for more

Digital foundry basically made a PC for console equivalent settings at roughly $800 (could be lower if you watch for deals). They made the build with an Intel Arc 770, imagine that.
Where do I see what they built? I'm Interested in this.

Buggy Loop

Where do I see what they built? I'm Interested in this.

Must've been 1k actually after making the list myself, $950, but i remember poster here making the list for cheaper, not sure if i didn't screw up.

A770 can be currently replaced by an AMD 6700XT or an Nvidia 3060 for the same price. I think the 6700XT makes more sense for console equivalent settings, it'll fly faster than the A770 in rasterization. A few pieces here can be optimized, i think the PSU, SSD could be tweaked to a lower cost by finding close alternatives.

What's interesting is that if you go for a mid range, SAVE the goddamn money on CPU. Look at this 12400F fly. It's brilliantly cheap and a good pick for Digital Foundry's build.

GametimeUK

Must've been 1k actually after making the list myself, $950, but i remember poster here making the list for cheaper, not sure if i didn't screw up.

A770 can be currently replaced by an AMD 6700XT or an Nvidia 3060 for the same price. I think the 6700XT makes more sense for console equivalent settings, it'll fly faster than the A770 in rasterization. A few pieces here can be optimized, i think the PSU, SSD could be tweaked to a lower cost by finding close alternatives.

What's interesting is that if you go for a mid range, SAVE the goddamn money on CPU. Look at this 12400F fly. It's brilliantly cheap and a good pick for Digital Foundry's build.

Thank you. Super interesting video and I love it when DF create content like this. It's great to see how they use settings that don't compromise the experience, but still deliver a great final result. Just goes to show how versatile PC gaming really is.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

Fp-NFLSw-WAAAm-yu.jpg

Fp-NFv-W9-WAAEg-UYF.jpg

Fp-NE3a-RWYAEk-JLs.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
@Lysandros ChiefDada ChiefDada Didn't see you two post here. Odd.

But I thought....

Done wasting my time with a pathetic troll like you.

Anyways, I'm not sure what your objective is here. We've discussed this before- not only is Returnal a beautiful game, it is my favorite game of all time. And it runs best on the PC. The visuals running on a 4090 make me especially jealous. It is truly a marvel running in native 4K. I've been hoping Housemarque would throw in a patch to increase native resolution on PS5 but without evidence to the contrary, I have to believe that there is a hardware limitation/bottleneck somewhere on PS5 that won't allow for higher native resolution, or their chosen engine couldn't push PS5 further for better resolutions and favors PC more.

I showed you my quotes before, and I'll do so again:

Jesus Christ I don't think I'll be able to handle Returnal at max PC settings. Just way too much beauty!

Hopefully Returnal soon. I want to see how far they can push fidelity and framerate. I was pleasantly surprised to see they're including ray tracing (assuming recent leaks are accurate). I can't see any outcome other than being a smash hit on PC.

I know you desperately want me to be a platform warring fanboy and I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
But I thought....

Anyways, I'm not sure what your objective is here. We've discussed this before- not only is Returnal a beautiful game, it is my favorite game of all time. And it runs best on the PC. The visuals running on a 4090 make me especially jealous. It is truly a marvel running in native 4K. I've been hoping Housemarque would throw in a patch to increase native resolution on PS5 but without evidence to the contrary, I have to believe that there is a hardware limitation/bottleneck somewhere on PS5 that won't allow for higher native resolution, or their chosen engine couldn't push PS5 further for better resolutions and favors PC more.

I showed you my quotes before, and I'll do so again:

I know you desperately want me to be a platform warring fanboy and I'm so sorry to disappoint you.
Good that you're honest about it.

I'm still puzzled as to why TLOU Part I performs so badly on PC compared to Returnal but I have some theories.

1. UE4 is a known quantity in the PC space. It really wasn't hard to adapt it for PC and it's a multiplatform engine, unlike the engine Naughty Dog uses which had never seen the light of day outside of a Playstation platform.

2. Returnal is procedurally/randomly generated. It doesn't have anywhere near the amount of unique assets TLOU has, explaining the insane 15+ minutes shader compilations.

3. It was Naughty Dog's first port and Iron Galaxy doesn't have the best track record

With that said, still confuses the hell out of me how TLOU runs at 1440p/60fps+ on PS5 but Housemarque couldn't hit that target and had to resort to 1080p. Surely, DRS was possible and they could have chosen that. I do wish some of Sony's studios would use Direct Storage. Nixxes expressed interest and TLOU would have been a great candidate for that given the atrocious load times.

Anyway, I guess this is the nature of the beast. Controversy and negativity breeds activity. The discussions surrounding TLOU would have probably been much quieter had it been competently ported.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

There was a Returnal update a few weeks ago and played it today with ray tracing enabled. It was stutter free w/out ray tracing before the update. It's definitely an improvement with most of the stuttering gone now when entering new rooms but still there occasionally. I'll probably leave ray tracing on now. Here's a video with someone testing the update:

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Hey all. I just bought this game (again) on PC because I wanted to do another playthrough.

After about an hour, the textures will go super low-resolution. Think Unreal Engine 3 games before the textures pop in. I searched online and other people have had this issue, with no fixes, only workarounds.

Anyone else run into this? Did you find a solution?

S0ULZB0URNE

Hey all. I just bought this game (again) on PC because I wanted to do another playthrough.

After about an hour, the textures will go super low-resolution. Think Unreal Engine 3 games before the textures pop in. I searched online and other people have had this issue, with no fixes, only workarounds.

Anyone else run into this? Did you find a solution?
What are your specs?

S0ULZB0URNE

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 16GB DDR4, GTX 3080, ~500GB SSD

Playing without Ray-Tracing on, Textures at Medium, most everything else on Epic. 4K w/DLSS and getting 60fps
Sorry for the questions but what type of SSD are you using?

16GB's for this game can cause issues with those settings.

3080 is comparable to a 4070 so...
I recommend trying 1440p DLSS.
Adding another 16GB's of ram will help if possible.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

No need to apologize. Thanks for helping.

It's a WDC WD Black SDBPNTY-512G-1106

Pretty sure I'm hitting the RAM limit after a while, so I think you're right about adding more RAM. Seems like a memory leak. I read one guy on the Steam forum saying he's getting it with 64GB of RAM.

Restarting the game makes the textures load again. With this game especially, though, you want to keep your rhythm going and restarting breaks that flow. Pretty disappointing. Apparently this issue was introduced with a patch, and hasn't been updated since.

I've got a 1440p monitor, too, so I'll try 1440p DLSS and see if it happens again.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Btw, I haven't had the texture glitch since switching to 1440p. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom