• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Dragon's Dogma 2 Path Tracing: It's Real, It Works and Here's How It Looks

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
J3Lq1RC.png

1BsO9aG.png

XdDFOH5.png

6QTBW3G.png

LRIOh3p.png

PB12hai.png

2n6474M.png

5bt3wHS.png

0FdXOe8.png

Oiz2PdQ.png

pd9OQtR.png

"Bu bu but, ray tracing is useless!"

Nah, it's just very demanding. This is also an unofficial and incomplete mod (has visual bugs such as missing shadows in some parts and noise artifacts) so it would look quite a bit better if professionals worked on it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Is useless imo
And you’re wrong.
and perfomance hungry, but opinions man. And is not just demaning, need to be optimize and well implemented.

You can't pick up the best cases when we have horrible RT implementations around.
Just because people are idiots and don’t know how to use it doesn’t mean it’s useless. It just means some people are incompetent. You can misuse anything.

And best implementation? This is an unofficial and incomplete mod.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Is useless imo and perfomance hungry, but opinions man. And is not just demaning, need to be optimize and well implemented.

You can't pick up the best cases when we have horrible RT implementations around.
This implementation isn't a meaningful use of RT/PT, this doesn't look bad but I'm not going ga-ga over what's being shown.

Fake

This implementation isn't a meaningful use of RT/PT, this doesn't look bad but I'm not going ga-ga over what's being shown.

Fair enough.

And you’re wrong.

No, I'm not. Is performance hungry regardless what we think. Real question, are you really seeing that kinda of 'game changing' difference in those pictures? Because I not.

Just because people are idiots and don’t know how to use it doesn’t mean it’s useless. It just means some people are incompetent. You can misuse anything.

And best implementation? This is an unofficial and incomplete mod.

So now people that don't know how to implement are idiots?

Gaiff

No, I'm not. Is performance hungry regardless what we think. Real question, are you really seeing that kinda of 'game changing' difference in those pictures? Because I not.
Watch the video.
So now people that don't know how to implement are idiots?
Considering they get paid to do that and are supposed to be professionals, yes?

sachos

Jesus Christ, it looks so good. RTGI is a must to get the next gen look and Pathtracing is what gets you to next level. That's why i want next gen consoles to come out later rather than sooner, we need tech to improve enough so PS6 can handle Pathtracing in all games. Lets hope Sony's push for RT with the PS5 Pro pushes more devs to start developing this techniques.

My problem with path tracing today is that there are so many hacks to make it playable even on my 4090 that you and up with seriously blurry, soupy messes from all the upscaling denoising etc. It's still not reality the way RT shadows and ambient occlusion are real today.

J3Lq1RC.png

1BsO9aG.png

XdDFOH5.png

6QTBW3G.png

LRIOh3p.png

PB12hai.png

2n6474M.png

5bt3wHS.png

0FdXOe8.png

Oiz2PdQ.png

pd9OQtR.png

"Bu bu but, ray tracing is useless!"

Nah, it's just very demanding. This is also an unofficial and incomplete mod (has visual bugs such as missing shadows in some parts and noise artifacts) so it would look quite a bit better if professionals worked on it.
It seems that look could have been recreated with better baked lighting/textures/materials. DD2 looks like shit, even with path tracing enabled it looks far worse than the graphical benchmarks for this gen, which is weird considering the insanely high sys req. CP2077 looks great even without path tracing and path tracing enhances it further. I worry for the day when ppl commend substandard looking games with a path tracing band aid slapped on it.
It's crazy how lighting can change the presentation of the material quality so drastically. One would think the wood door received a texture makeover but nope, just the result of improved lighting technique.
Couldn't that texture be replicated without any PT? Why the heck should PT be needed for a current gen only game to look presentable?

Meicyn

Gold Member
It seems that look could have been recreated with better baked lighting/textures/materials. DD2 looks like shit, even with path tracing enabled it looks far worse than the graphical benchmarks for this gen, which is weird considering the insanely high sys req. CP2077 looks great even without path tracing and path tracing enhances it further. I worry for the day when ppl commend substandard looking games with a path tracing band aid slapped on it.

Couldn't that texture be replicated without any PT? Why the heck should PT be needed for a current gen only game to look presentable?
Thank you. I thought I was in crazy land, I didn’t understand why there was so much excitement over this.

For example, why is anyone getting excited over the screenshot of the static metal suit of armor at the shop? Like, how is that even remotely impressive? Because it’s shiny now via PT? Numerous games have shipped for over a decade that figured out how to make metal not look dull via shaders.

DavidGzz

Thank you. I thought I was in crazy land, I didn’t understand why there was so much excitement over this.

For example, why is anyone getting excited over the screenshot of the static metal suit of armor at the shop? Like, how is that even remotely impressive? Because it’s shiny now via PT? Numerous games have shipped for over a decade that figured out how to make metal not look dull via shaders.

It's kind of crazy to enter a thread about something you don't care about. You're reading impressions from people who do. It's pretty simple.

That and the praise for the wood looking like wood is nuts to me. Most previous gens games with competent PBR had this, only they did not tank the framerate for this. I had this feeling first when the DF crew were praising Metro Exodus to high heavens for RTGI. It is simply an ugly game, no amount of ray tracing is gonna fix the NPCs looking like shit and sub-standard textures. These things matter far more than accurate reflections and shadows, so long as games are pretty, performant and 70-80% accurate, I am good with that.

Senua

Gold Member
This thread once again shows that to some, everything is overrated until Sony do it.

All the naysayers will lap this stuff up when PS5 pro onwards starts pushing RT hard.

Our RT future will be glorious, regardless of platform. With a high end PC we get to see where games are heading, RIGHT NOW. Some of you are just delaying yourselves because it's happening on a platform you don't enjoy.

Gaiff

This thread once again shows that to some, everything is overrated until Sony do it.

All the naysayers will lap this stuff up when PS5 pro onwards starts pushing RT hard.

Our RT future will be glorious, regardless of platform. With a high end PC we get to see where games are heading, RIGHT NOW. Some of you are just delaying yourselves because it's happening on a platform you don't enjoy.
Oh, the naysayers aren't even especially pro-Sony here, they're just anti-ray tracing. Bad news for them because Sony is putting a huge emphasis on ray tracing with the Pro, and I suspect this will continue into the PS6 generation. Time to move on from archaic rasterization techniques and embrace our glorious ray-traced future.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh, the naysayers aren't even especially pro-Sony here, they're just anti-ray tracing. Bad news for them because Sony is putting a huge emphasis on ray tracing with the Pro, and I suspect this will continue into the PS6 generation. Time to move on from archaic rasterization techniques and embrace our glorious ray-traced future.

Come back in 5-10 years because until everyone has hardware capable of doing the work then traditional and half-step measures will still need to be the primary focus as that will be the majority when it comes to use-cases!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The pure path-tracing mode genuinely makes a huge difference, it looks fantastic. Unfortunately, even with the recommended settings the amount of noise in darker or indoor areas is unbearable; and of course there's a significant hit to performance, but that's to be expected. Hopefully the modding community can figure out a good denoiser solution over time.

makaveli60

It’s a PCMR type of thing, don’t try to find logic here...

Schmendrick

You could`ve just stated that you have no idea how real time graphics work instead of trying to belittle advancements like this.

Static <=> dynamic, the difference is gigantic.

It’s a PCMR type of thing, don’t try to find logic here...
You´re the type who`d look up to the first electric lamp and call it a fad.....

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
You could`ve just stated that you have no idea how real time graphics work instead of trying to belittle advancements like this.

Static <=> dynamic....huge..huuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

You´re the type who`d look up to the first electric lamps and call it a fad.....
Lot of assumption going on here. Pathtracing is obviously the future of lighting for games. I have a PC to my immediate left actively used by my spouse with a 4070Ti onboard and Unreal Engine 5.4 installed. I am well aware of the advantages of real time lighting, thanks.

The problem is that this presentation of “wow look at this” in full context is hilarious to me. Again, highlighting how a suit of armor is now shiny instead of dull when you force pathtracing while tanking your framerate to 20 fps, just doesn’t impress. Cyberpunk 2077 looks mindblowing with pathtracing. DD2? Not really. It’s certainly better than it was without it if you ignore the performance cost, but I guess after dicking around in UE5, my frame of reference differs quite a bit than yours.

Schmendrick

Lot of assumption going on here. Pathtracing is obviously the future of lighting for games. I have a PC to my immediate left actively used by my spouse with a 4070Ti onboard and Unreal Engine 5.4 installed. I am well aware of the advantages of real time lighting, thanks.

The problem is that this presentation of “wow look at this” in full context is hilarious to me. Again, highlighting how a suit of armor is now shiny instead of dull when you force pathtracing while tanking your framerate to 20 fps, just doesn’t impress. Cyberpunk 2077 looks mindblowing with pathtracing. DD2? Not really. It’s certainly better than it was without it if you ignore the performance cost, but I guess after dicking around in UE5, my frame of reference differs quite a bit than yours.
The point of this exercise obviously went completely over your head......

It is ridiculously impressive that modern hardware can run this in real time at all in its incomplete and completely unoptimized "tool" state without an enormous amount of expensive extra support like f.e. CP2077 got from Nvidia

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
It is ridiculously impressive that modern hardware can run this in real time at all
Uh, yeah. We all know that. I literally have one of those pieces of hardware in my house. What other obvious revelations do you have in store for us?

Schmendrick

Uh, yeah. We all know that. I literally have one of those pieces of hardware in my house. What other obvious revelations do you have in store for us?
So you don't understand the excitement but agree that it indeed is ridiculously impressive but somehow at the same time... it is not in this case because... You say so.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

K.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
So you don't understand the excitement but agree that it indeed is ridiculously impressive but somehow at the same time... it is not in this case because... You say so.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

K.
I love how you keep moving the goalposts. First it was “you don’t understand real time lighting” which you pulled out of your ass. Then it was “it’s impressive that modern hardware can do path tracing” as if this were some new discovery. Now you rip out any context I provided and manufactured a contradiction for me. 🤡, indeed.

oYK1PNS.png

I just look at this, and this honestly gives the impression of a last gen game in both screenshots. It’s definitely not a last gen game, and the incredible character creator alone reinforces that reality. I spent an absurd amount of time in it.

Pathtracing makes the right side obviously look better, but the underlying presentation here is lackluster to begin with. This is not an indictment of pathtracing, it’s a complaint that the foundation needed more work, i.e. in this scene, there is no reason why the armor on the left should look that dull in the first place! This is especially clear when you can look at the wearable armor sets in-game and see the incredible detail put into them.

I will say no more on the matter.

Alex11

You're referring here to the fact that Cyberpunk already did this, no?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I love how you keep moving the goalposts. First it was “you don’t understand real time lighting” which you pulled out of your ass. Then it was “it’s impressive that modern hardware can do path tracing” as if this were some new discovery. Now you rip out any context I provided and manufactured a contradiction for me. 🤡, indeed.

oYK1PNS.png

I just look at this, and this honestly gives the impression of a last gen game in both screenshots. It’s definitely not a last gen game, and the incredible character creator alone reinforces that reality. I spent an absurd amount of time in it.

Pathtracing makes the right side obviously look better, but the underlying presentation here is lackluster to begin with. This is not an indictment of pathtracing, it’s a complaint that the foundation needed more work, i.e. in this scene, there is no reason why the armor on the left should look that dull in the first place! This is especially clear when you can look at the wearable armor sets in-game and see the incredible detail put into them.

I will say no more on the matter.
The thing is that if a half decent path tracing implementation can do this to DD2 imagine the wonders it could do for games with graphics on the caliber of Sony and the like, with more refined and touched up implementations. Hell look what it did to half life 2

The only issue is that we were promised this 4 years ago and now we have to buy a pro system for it to be accomplished on consoles

Last edited:
Top Bottom