• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

OCASM

Banned
I guess you mean path tracing, which it is in UE5, but not this solution, as in ReSTIR/RTXDI + ReSTIR indirect/PT (? A guess, they have not detailed that part, path tracing solution)

For sure Nvidia will have a plug-in ready after testing and improving the solution in cyberpunk.
Restir RTXDI and Restir RTXGI are part of the Nvidia UE5 branch.

Made with the "same tech" but different parameters

wanted_wide-a4a868cedd4484b6dcf460cff2294a135f816733-s1400-c100.jpg
Tangled isn't path-traced. Disney started using path-tracing with Big Hero 6, 4 years later.

But yes, path tracing doesn't preclude heavily stylized visuals, it makes them look way better:

zephiross

Man I need to wait for modders to update their mods cause the game deosn't lauch currently for me... such a shame, I'm so excited to try this out !

mnkl13

is full path tracing something we will see on future ps5 or series x games? if not what does that mean for this generation of consoles? does it mean that this time the pro version of the consoles will be the upgrade required to get the full path tracing version of the games?

This new update is crashing on me to a black screen (even just in character creation). 4090 RTX, newest drivers, Intel i7-13700 processor, 64GB RAM...

Buggy Loop

Restir RTXDI and Restir RTXGI are part of the Nvidia UE5 branch.

It's their indirect solution which I'm not sure about, which is the main path tracing solution. They haven't given a name as of now ala RTXDI (direct illumination). In their ReSTIR paper they call it ReSTIR PT (not the older ReSTIR GI / RTXGI's path tracing from 2021).

"Compared to ReSTIR GI [Ouyang et al. 2021], ReSTIR PT handles general types of light transport. The path reuse quality is significantly improved by a context-aware shift mapping, allowing interactive rendering of many-bounce diffuse and specular lighting with high quality."

I can't find it in UE5 documentation or NVRTX 5.1.

This new update is crashing on me to a black screen (even just in character creation). 4090 RTX, newest drivers, Intel i7-13700 processor, 64GB RAM...

Mods?

Last edited:
Things like this are why we need an XSX Pro and PS5 Pro next year. I know it wouldn't be able to do all the bells and whistles shown here, but at least get us closer.

Looks pretty good but not worth the big drop in image quality elsewhere having to go down to DLSS Performance on a 3090. Doesn't help having the PC connected to a 48" TV I guess, but Psycho RT with 4K/DLSS Quality is fine for me

SliChillax

XdrtMBD.png

I haven't overclocked my gpu or cpu, seems normal? Definitely smoother at 1440p native though which I'm shocked. Waiting for the new Nvidia drivers to test it out again. Also does anyone know what version of DLSS is in this update?

Killer8

As I said earlier in the thread, it's absolutely playable on mid-range hardware. Here are my RTX 3070 benchmark results:

1440p using DLSS performance:

s5g0HDA.jpg

1080p using DLSS quality:

t3N7orf.jpg

In 1440p, the dip to the lowest reading of 25fps was a rogue drop in the bar sequence of the benchmark. Aside from that, it usually hovered at around 27-32fps during that scene. I also played the game normally for half an hour, just driving through the city, and the worst case scenario was 29fps in the area where you meet Jackie eating noodles. You could very easily lock this to 30fps and have a great experience. I personally jack the sharpness up to counter the DLSS blur and I think it looks stunning. Max settings, ray tracing, 1440p, decent image quality, near locked 30fps - it's a win to me. Never would've dreamed this would run on my card.

Of course you can also drop it to 1080p as well to get an even more stable framerate. You'd be nearly guaranteed to never drop below 30fps then. I used DLSS quality mode in 1080p, but I personally don't think it looks as good as 1440p performance mode - which is interesting as both modes use 720p as the base image to upscale from. You also can't win back sharpness as easily by jacking the sharpening setting up like you can in 1440p. 1080p with a lot of sharpening still looks quite muddy. But based on a lot of testing people did with DLSS quality mode, it should still be better than 1080p native rendering.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Kinda sad now that CDPR is moving away from Red Engine after this tour de force.

Go to UE? Hello shader stutters. Red engine pushes graphics like nobody else right now, no stutters, like ever.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
It's technically much much more advanced than TLOU1.

It's a generation apart basically
bounce lighting doesnt mean its a generation apart.. cyberpunk isnt technically better than last of us 1... the vram is wasted on raytracing not on actual technical art.. if anything raytraced is a generation apart then that means portal rtx, quake rtx are also a generation apart... its stupid thinking.. what makes a game a generation apart is how it was made and the overall engineering of the game.. cyberpunk is simply a ps4 game with a raytracing patch and settings toggles raised to ultra on pc and not some nextgen game

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game runs STELLAR even without DLSS3 FG. Yes I have high end HW but this is what we do when you have good stuff. I'm actually surprised at how profound the difference is from my visual perspective. The future kind of stuff.

ALL SCREENSHOTS WITHOUT FRAME GENERATION EXCEPT BENCHMARK

Bench run and specs
benchhxiia.jpg

PT OFF
cyberpunk2077screenshhndn5.png

PT ON
cyberpunk2077screensh9dcuz.png

PT OFF
cyberpunk2077screensh08d1k.png

PT ON
cyberpunk2077screensh1wc0f.png

PT OFF
cyberpunk2077screenshbpff4.png

PT ON
cyberpunk2077screensh3fffi.png

Last edited:

GHG

It's a bit absurd when there's even bounce lighting on the player character's fingernails:

Tx05M1.png

Few other screens:

Tx0Gac.png

Tx0h6K.png

TxI2zZ.png

I'll just enjoy walking around the game world admiring the scenery for a while, can't stand to actually play it unfortunately, it's such a let-down.

LiquidMetal14

I would not call 40s fps "stellar"

Use mods.

40 fps in a good case scenario is not stellar. thats all Im saying. No reason not to use DLSS3 unless you enjoy 30 fps first person gameplay.
I'm glad you both said something. I just talked to a friend about this on the phone, it is stellar.

Mainly because it's top end graphical showcase and because it feels super smooth. I had zero frame spikes and I was expecting 40 or 41 in that isolated area to be sluggish but my stellar opinion is speaking on how much this is doing and how my PC handles it. No breaks and even from the basically 60fps average WITHOUT DLSS3, it's pretty stunning to see in motion.

Any in particular that you'd recommend? If I can build a character that actually plays like the characters in the anime then I'm all for it. Everything is so restrictive and basic in the vanilla game.

A lot of them really. For starters

Obviously you dont need all and maybe you should wait for the expansion(maybe CDPR will add more stuff, tho doubt it) but may make things better a bit.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

A lot of them really. For starters

Obviously you dont need all and maybe you should wait for the expansion(maybe CDPR will add more stuff, tho doubt it) but may make things better a bit.

Wtf, 349 mods?

Yeh considering the amount of stuff I'll need I think I'll just wait for them to release the expansion and for the game to be "complete" so that things don't end up breaking mid-playthrough.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
how do you guys take screenshots with HDR on? They always come out looking washed out and weird when I do it, and look nothing like when I'm playing it.

Wtf, 349 mods?

Yeh considering the amount of stuff I'll need I think I'll just wait for them to release the expansion and for the game to be "complete" so that things don't end up breaking mid-playthrough.

Hes exagerating about 349. You can just get those in the video, especially from combat/immersion. They really do make the game better. We'll see if CDPR does anything more to the base when expansion hits but I think theyre just relying on modders now.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

how do you guys take screenshots with HDR on? They always come out looking washed out and weird when I do it, and look nothing like when I'm playing it.

I've had to turn it off for the purposes of taking screenshots because even using the in-game photomode they come out busted or corrupt whereas with Witcher 3 I was able to take them with HDR on using photomode and they would come out fine.

So try photomode, if that doesn't work for you then you'll need to turn it off unfortunately as far as I know. Unless someone else can offer up a solution for taking regular screenshots while in HDR?

I haven't installed RT Overdrive on my PC yet because I use mods and the latest patch breaks them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how my 4090 handles this patch after my mods have been patched.

Looks incredible.

Roxkis_ii

My mods had to be sacrificed to see the game look pretty at 16 fps!?

In all seriousness, path tracing actually changes the atmosphere of a lot of spaces in the game, it unreal how good it looks.
I can't wait to enjoy it one day.

OCASM

Banned
It's their indirect solution which I'm not sure about, which is the main path tracing solution. They haven't given a name as of now ala RTXDI (direct illumination). In their ReSTIR paper they call it ReSTIR PT (not the older ReSTIR GI / RTXGI's path tracing from 2021).

"Compared to ReSTIR GI [Ouyang et al. 2021], ReSTIR PT handles general types of light transport. The path reuse quality is significantly improved by a context-aware shift mapping, allowing interactive rendering of many-bounce diffuse and specular lighting with high quality."

I can't find it in UE5 documentation or NVRTX 5.1.
This is where I saw it:

You need a free nvidia account to watch it.

bounce lighting doesnt mean its a generation apart.. cyberpunk isnt technically better than last of us 1... the vram is wasted on raytracing not on actual technical art.. if anything raytraced is a generation apart then that means portal rtx, quake rtx are also a generation apart... its stupid thinking.. what makes a game a generation apart is how it was made and the overall engineering of the game.. cyberpunk is simply a ps4 game with a raytracing patch and settings toggles raised to ultra on pc and not some nextgen game
That's a complete inversion of reality.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
CourteousElegantFirebelliedtoad-size_restricted.gif

kingyala

Banned
This is where I saw it:

[/URL][/URL]

You need a free nvidia account to watch it.

That's a complete inversion of reality.
use your brain cells... having bounce lighting on a game isnt the benchmark of a game being next gen, raytracing is just a graphical feature set you can bolt it on any game's lighting system you can have n64 games rendered with path tracing to ps2 and ps1 games and this doesnt make a game nextgen... cyberpunk suffers from assets that are designed for a ps4... flat surfaces flat architectures low geometry on characters... so technically it is a lastgen game with bolted on raytracing.. more like having a a 1940's car with a 2020 engine and calling the car modern... you dont just bolt some graphics technique and call a game nextgen. nextgen means a game designed around nextgen architectures and macjhines from scratch... ps5, series x or a modern pc not a bolted on game from the ps4 era
8MnU3Zf.jpg
xm12Plq.jpg
f7yqtUu.jpg
sadfS0e.jpg

Last edited:

zeroluck

I don't recommend playing at less than 1440p internal render resolution, the denoiser can't keep up especially on background NPC's faces.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
use your brain cells... having bounce lighting on a game isnt the benchmark of a game being next gen, raytracing is just a graphical feature set you can bolt it on any game's lighting system you can have n64 games rendered with path tracing to ps2 and ps1 games and this doesnt make a game nextgen... cyberpunk suffers from assets that are designed for a ps4... flat surfaces flat architectures low geometry on characters... so technically it is a lastgen game with bolted on raytracing.. more like having a a 1940's car with a 2020 engine and calling the car modern... you dont just bolt some graphics technique and call a game nextgen. nextgen means a game designed around nextgen architectures and macjhines from scratch... ps5, series x or a modern pc not a bolted on game from the ps4 era
8MnU3Zf.jpg
xm12Plq.jpg
f7yqtUu.jpg
sadfS0e.jpg
7e4.jpg

zeroluck

8MnU3Zf.jpg
xm12Plq.jpg
f7yqtUu.jpg
sadfS0e.jpg
Why are you people constantly bringing up The Last of Cutscenes, it is 2023 and people are still fooled by mo-cap and pre-baked lighting lol.

kingyala

Banned
Why are you people constantly bringing up The Last of Cutscenes, it is 2023 and people are still fooled by mo-cap and pre-baked lighting lol.
last of us part 1 on ps5 uses realtime cutscenes not pre rendered like ps4 and also the image with the shotgun isnt a cutscene it is realtime weapon modification... for your information

Lasha

I understand how impressive the tech is.
But I don't want every game to look like that.
Sometimes I want the "video game" look.

I had to turn raytracing off in Fortnite. Seeing an enemy through a window or in shadow is much harder when raytracing is enabled. I've died so many times to somebody wearing a darker skin because they blended in with the shadow. Regular lighting will always have it's place until ray tracing is fixed for all.

Well what I was afraid of happened. If you stand under a light or the sun and look down at your shadows, take a strafe left and right and observe. Same thing in Portal RTX. Path tracing looks gorgeous but the temporal algorithms need massive tweaking, or just significantly faster hardware than we have today. Even with a 4090, shadows ghost into a soupy mess. We would need a lot more raw fps to get it to the point where it is much more stable. More rays per second.

LiquidMetal14

One last run with DLSS3 FG (frame generation) with PT (path tracing) ON. Converted them down to jpeg to make it easier on the bandwidth so bare with compression.

Sorry about the HDR washout. Worth turning it off but just note the performance more than anything. The last shot without PT is a big difference without it in terms of the shadows.

OFF
cyberpunk2077screensh0adjz.jpg

ON
cyberpunk2077screensh9uf7f.jpg

OFF
cyberpunk2077screenshfdezu.jpg

ON
cyberpunk2077screenshg5e5r.jpg

OFF
cyberpunk2077screenshddens.jpg

ON
cyberpunk2077screensh2pi3x.jpg

BONUS ON WITH NO PT
cyberpunk2077screenshw3itd.jpg

Last edited:

Teslerum

is full path tracing something we will see on future ps5 or series x games? if not what does that mean for this generation of consoles? does it mean that this time the pro version of the consoles will be the upgrade required to get the full path tracing version of the games?
No. Even a possible mid-gen update wouldn't hack it.

It's probably not even going to be something standard for the generation after that. Maybe as some high fidelity mode at (possibly unstable) 30fps.

Last edited:

sendit

Things like this are why we need an XSX Pro and PS5 Pro next year. I know it wouldn't be able to do all the bells and whistles shown here, but at least get us closer.

It would definitely be able to match what is being shown here at the 4070-4080 level. The Pro variants of these consoles need to include frame generation tech, which I believe will be a given.

Last edited:

zeroluck

last of us part 1 on ps5 uses realtime cutscenes not pre rendered like ps4 and also the image with the shotgun isnt a cutscene it is realtime weapon modification... for your information
There is no difference between realtime cutscenes and CGI, both plays out exactly the same every time.

Last edited:

Banned
I had to turn raytracing off in Fortnite. Seeing an enemy through a window or in shadow is much harder when raytracing is enabled. I've died so many times to somebody wearing a darker skin because they blended in with the shadow. Regular lighting will always have it's place until ray tracing is fixed for all.

in competitive games you always want to turn off any lighting if possible of course.
on PC you can turn off shadows completely in Fortnite, which gives you an even clearer look into buildings as there will be literally no shadows to darken anything.

Top Bottom