• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

yamaci17

damnn

xlPWDJn.png

zephiross

For people running mods unable to start the game (missing script error), try disabling the "mod_settings" mod until it's updated, it was the one causing the issue for me. Now I can lauch the game (80+ other mods active).

EDIT: Mod has been updated aswell as Cyber engine tweaks

Last edited:

Schmendrick

At this point any game that doesn't use raytraced lighting looks old.
Considering the hardware power this needs and what we have in the consoles.....yeah, we`re in for a loooooooooot more of those old looking games.

Can you imagine how a game like D4 would look if every single lightsource was realistically calculated, including all the magic effects.....one can dream.

Considering the hardware power this needs and what we have in the consoles.....yeah, we`re in for a loooooooooot more of those old looking games.

Can you imagine how a game like D4 would look if every single lightsource was realistically calculated, including all the magic effects.....one can dream.
Path tracing is the future, but IMHO the UE5 isnt looking much worse and it runs on current gen consoles.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Path tracing is the future, but IMHO the UE5 isnt looking much worse and it runs on current gen consoles.
Lumen's backbone is RT, and even paired with full Nanite Environments you can forget anything close to the accuracy of what we're seeing here with CP2077 with acceptable framerates on console. Lumen in the matrix demo was nowhere close to this despite steep cutoffs and exceptions and special treatment for a lot of lights and still could literally be "outrun" by moving too fast.

No way in hell a console will be able to do anything comparable to this on mid level RDNA2 hardware.

Last edited:

Fake

I not particulary like RT and their performance drops, but I must confess some shots are great and impressive. Hats down.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Those look great, and were taken by a professional screenshot maker who works for EA DICE.

Here's what he made for Sleeping Dogs, a game from 2012 that was developed for the PS3 and X360:

BhXxsTw.jpg

CIvkSP8.jpg
9VDpn3w.jpg

And here's what he did on the Matrix demo, which BTW runs on a $400 console:

You definitely can because that's precisely what a bunch of people have been doing throughout this whole thread.

Sleeping dog looked that good? I played it on the 360 back in the day and it didn't stand out to me graphically at all. Are the screenshots from a mod?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Sleeping dog looked that good? I played it on the 360 back in the day and it didn't stand out to me graphically at all. Are the screenshots from a mod?

I don't know if he's using a mod. It could just be some tweaked .ini settings for higher viewing distance, for example.

Lumen's backbone is RT, and even paired with full Nanite Environments you can forget anything close to the accuracy of what we're seeing here with CP2077 with acceptable framerates on console. Lumen in the matrix demo was nowhere close to this despite steep cutoffs and exceptions and special treatment for a lot of lights and still could literally be "outrun" by moving too fast.

No way in hell a console will be able to do anything comparable to this on mid level RDNA2 hardware.

Patch tracing (PT) in the cyberpunk looks EXTREMELY impressive, but I feel like GI in this game wasnt very good, so now the difference between the raster vs patch tracing is exaggerated. I've seen many UE5 tech demos, and the GI in these demos looked more comparable to the image on the right. It's almost like there's no GI at all on the left image, so no wonder why people think PT in the cyberpunk looks so impressive.

833f155d4edb8a6f3e8612d2ddda4f968ca21daf3eff2e605ba7ed5df2acc29f.jpg

I would like to see a proper comparison between lumen and patch tracing in UE5 (the same location and assets), because only then it's possible to see how much difference PT really makes. Lumen on it's own look impressive too.

stalker-2-screenshots-1.jpg

Last edited:

zephiross

I would bet on some reshade settings and or a bit of photoshopping to get the colors right. People often underestimate how important good colors are for photorealistic look .

Mister Wolf

Most UE games will use Lumen. Thats good enough raytraced lighting for now. Fortnite looks amazing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I remember using this on Hitman 3, looks amazing but yeah zero performance.
I will stick with my AMD GPU without RT, thanks.
Brother, we are admiring the technical prowess visually. We aren't here to talk about anything but these highly advanced graphics.

You telling us about your Radeon is like a guy that can't get into the best club in town.

As was noted earlier, there is no doubt that this is the top game visually ever produced to this point AND it's playable today.

Schmendrick

Patch tracing (PT) in the cyberpunk looks EXTREMELY impressive, but I feel like GI in this game wasnt very good, so now the difference between the raster vs patch tracing is exaggerated. I've seen many UE5 tech demos, and the GI in these demos looked more comparable to the image on the right. .
So does the classic RT mode CP2077 also has on "psycho".
Until it breaks down in some other place where you`re missing the necessary bouncecount to get the indirect lighting right or even leaves out lightsources completely.
There really is no way around sheer power with RT if you want true coherence in motion. Even with the wizardry NVIDIA is doing we`re looking at 4090 levels of hardware requirements which includes upscaling and faked frames.

No doubt Lumen on consoles will look "goodenough" or even utterly fantastic compared to the old world, as seen in the Matrix demo, but best not compare it to tech previews like this one :)
Nanite geometry will probably save the day on consoles.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

they are both images from cutscenes both are realtime cyberpunk is still technically inferior... whether its cutscene or not it is still realtime none of the images here are cgi... last of us 1 simply beats cyberpunk in every technical area oher than bounce lighting... the characters in last of us 1 are more detailed, the texture work is well detailed, the assets quality is well beyond cyberpunk, the animation work and animation physics are well beyond cyberpunk the only thing advanced in cyberpunk is the realtime raytraced lighting.... you cant just excuse a game and call it nextgen because it bounces rays on a scene.
Yet

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2020​

1) Cyberpunk 2077
2) Spiderman: Miles Morales
3) Microsoft Flight Simulator
4) Half-Lyfe: Alex
5) The Last of Us Part 2 <
6) Demon Souls
7) Doom Eternal

And here is "THe ps4 Quality Assets" For you Kingyala..
FtdpRpWWwAIwhNk

FtdpSTBWYAAwQd5

FtdpTr6XsAAUBH7

from https://twitter.com/Berduu

Thanks CDPR for being one of the last devs truly pushing the envelope.

This is currently the technically most impressive game of all times.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Patch tracing (PT) in the cyberpunk looks EXTREMELY impressive, but I feel like GI in this game wasnt very good, so now the difference between the raster vs patch tracing is exaggerated. I've seen many UE5 tech demos, and the GI in these demos looked more comparable to the image on the right. It's almost like there's no GI at all on the left image, so no wonder why people think PT in the cyberpunk looks so impressive.

833f155d4edb8a6f3e8612d2ddda4f968ca21daf3eff2e605ba7ed5df2acc29f.jpg

I would like to see a proper comparison between lumen and patch tracing in UE5 (the same location and assets), because only then it's possible to see how much difference PT really makes. Lumen on it's own look impressive too.

stalker-2-screenshots-1.jpg
While lumen looks really good and should be used almost always, path tracing is just on another level. People don't understand how impressive it is that a game like CP2077 can even run with path tracing. Here you can see the latest build of UE5 with the latest lumen vs path tracing, same scene same assets both in UE5

yYaRVDu.jpg

8psEYNN.jpg

GPCX2tv.jpg

Gaiff

It's entirely possible that the left image is missing GI and that's to be expected of an open-world. You'll often run into areas where the lighting looks flat because the GI is simply missing. It happens in every big sprawling open-world. That's what makes path tracing so good there, it won't miss those parts.

SliChillax

they are both images from cutscenes both are realtime cyberpunk is still technically inferior... whether its cutscene or not it is still realtime none of the images here are cgi... last of us simply beats cyberpunk in every technical area oher than bounce lighting... the characters in last of us 1 are more detailed, the texture work is well detailed, the assets quality is well beyond cyberpunk, the animation work and animation physics are well beyond cyberpunk the only thing advanced in cyberpunk is the realtime raytraced lighting.... you cant just excuse a game and call it nextgen because it bounces rays on a scene.
Why are you comparing the most linear game every to an open world game that is incredibly large and dense?

nemiroff

Gold Member

Edit: But of course not even this is accurate science. Everything depends on raynumber/accuracy/lightsources/denoising/particular scene.

Last edited:

nikos

You definitely can because that's precisely what a bunch of people have been doing throughout this whole thread.

The second part of my sentence was more important. He was arguing this is doesn't count as something new, then posted a 10 year old game with arguably less of a technological improvement over the original.

RagnarokIV

I have a VRR display and 3070.

I'm guessing based on previous posts that my best option here is for 1440p and DLSS performance (or quality?).

yamaci17

I'm guessing based on previous posts that my best option here is for 1440p and DLSS performance (or quality?).

enable reflex, huge game changer for gpu bound input lag near 30-40 fps. it makes it more than playable

yes, 1440p dlss quality will put you around 25 to 30 fps. dlss balanced hovers around 30 usually. dlss performance ensures perf. around 35-40 FPS. but FPS will tank in combat+heavy foliage to 25s 30s regardless. I just look at it as a "exploration" demo similar to assassin creed odyssey/origins exploration modes

make sure you have minimal idle vram usage too by disabling hardware accerelation on software you use (like steam, discord etc.)

While lumen looks really good and should be used almost always, path tracing is just on another level. People don't understand how impressive it is that a game like CP2077 can even run with path tracing. Here you can see the latest build of UE5 with the latest lumen vs path tracing, same scene same assets both in UE5

yYaRVDu.jpg

8psEYNN.jpg

GPCX2tv.jpg
That's a very good comparison. The difference is still there (especially in the 2nd image), but don't you think a talented developer could mask these imperfections to some extent?

IMO console gamers should be still happy considering how good "lumen" lighting looks like compared to the extremely flat UE4 lighting without any RT.

Hugare

I would say performance for a stable 30 FPS

I'm on a 3060 and I run it with 1080p on Balance for 25-30 FPS

ps4 assets guys pack it up

JSZ9nDh.png

FZpJ2CR.png

l2i4ZTU.png

yL3Woht.png

freaking path tracing...
These assets were made with high end PCs in mind. That's why CDPR had such problems porting this game to the PS4, because I/O wasnt fast enough to stream the data and not to mention GPU and CPU speed just wasnt there as well. Even current generation consoles don't run this game very well because in 30fps mode there's only one RT effect enabled (RT Reflections if I'm not mistaken). It's naive to think this game was made with the PS4 hardware (limitations) im mind. Yes, the game was ported to the PS4 console, but it was extremely downgraded and looked nothing like PC version at maxed out settings.

Last edited:

Turk1993

That's a very good comparison. The difference is still there (especially in the 2nd image), but don't you think a talented developer could mask these imperfections to some extent?

IMO console gamers should be still happy considering how good "lumen" lighting looks like compared to the extremely flat UE4 lighting without any RT.
Ofcourse thats why i said that they should always use it. Also it performs better than path tracing while still looking much much better than the basic lighting techniques used before.

Schmendrick

Edit: But of course not even this is accurate science. Everything depends on raynumber/accuracy/lightsources/denoising/particular scene.

Those comparisons are kind of worthless to us though as Lumen could never run in real time with those settings (yet) and the real time pathtracing we see in CP2077 can`t hold a candle to the 10 hour offline renders we have here :)

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
People don't understand how impressive it is that a game like CP2077 can even run with path tracing.

IMHO apparently some people don't understand what "impressive" means.

"Impressive" is this screenshot I took on my PS5 ($400 to $500 of hardware cost) using the 60FPS Performance mode.

hyhR2PS.jpg

Getting great looking lighting running at slideshow speeds using a >2500€ PC simply means you're brute forcing the ordeal and it's of little use to anyone right now. It's simply not an efficient use of compute resources no matter how you look at it. It's lack of optimization taken to the extreme.

Its only practical use is to serve as an advertisement for Nvidia's 1800€ gigantic graphics cards, and for corporation / monopoly lovers to circlejerk.
And boy, do those circlejerkers like to circlejerk. It's a friggin' circlejerking party out here.

EDIT: It's okay boys, don't need to get so triggered. This is just a forum on the internet where other people can #gasp# disagree with you.
Just turn off the monitor for a minute and paint flowers with the crayons. It'll pass.

Last edited:

Rea

God damn, i played with 4k Dlss Quality with FG for awhile, it's so damn smooth and the lighting is so good, sometimes i thought i was seeing the CGI cutscenes. Especially at night.

Gaiff

"Impressive" is this screenshot I took on my PS5 ($400 to $500 of hardware cost) using the 60FPS Performance mode.

hyhR2PS.jpg

Getting great looking lighting running at slideshow speeds using a >2500€ PC simply means you're brute forcing the ordeal and it's of little use to anyone right now. It's simply not an efficient use of compute resources no matter how you look at it. It's lack of optimization taken to the extreme.

Its only practical use is to serve as an advertisement for Nvidia's 1800€ gigantic graphics cards, and for corporation / monopoly lovers to circlejerk.
And boy, do those circlejerkers like to circlejerk. It's a friggin' circlejerking party out here.
Hey, more cutscene bullshots.

This feature is literally called a technical preview. It's simply a fucking free upgrade to display the technology and they intend to tweak and optimize it. What the heck are you bitching about?

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »

hyhR2PS.jpg

ZnTybwr.gif

Rea

hyhR2PS.jpg

There are tons of pics which look shit tons better than this picture even without the path tracing. Come on now, Currently the Cyberpunk is the pinnacle of Real time graphics while being an open world game.

yamaci17

It's impressive but is it worth the performance cost? I dont think so.
its good for exploration / driving around , 30 fps + reflex is very playable (avoiding combat and stuff). at least it is enough for exploration so I'm grateful

I don't know if i'd do a live play with path tracing; worth it or not. it drops to <25 in combat, unplayable. if it was locked 30, I could give it a try

I mean, I played this game thrice (one with raster, one with rt reflection+shadows at 60 fps, and one with rt reflect+rtshadows+rtgi at psycho at 40 fps). if I could get it to locked 30 at 1440p/dlss balanced I could go for a 4th lol

I wish game supported full Dualsense features on PC. it would be great for a 30 fps gamepad playthrough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Gaiff

It's insane. You can't have a PC game thread without the Playstation fanboy crowd coming to shit on it. The funniest part is when it completely veers off the technical aspect and becomes purely about feelings and art direction. Art is awesome and even more important than technology but doesn't determine how demanding a game is therefore you should never use a game that is artistically more accomplished to downplay a game that is more technically advanced.

Hell, I find Ori and the Will of the Wisps nicer to look at than Cyberpunk or pretty much every game out there but you won't see me invade threads with screenshots of the game.

Those guys are autistic beyond belief.

Last edited:

Turk1993

hyhR2PS.jpg

stop-it-get-some-help.gif

Rea

It's impressive but is it worth the performance cost? I dont think so.
Depends on where you're looking, some scenes are not much different, but there are some which changes totally and even looking like in-engine CGI cut scenes.

That's exactly what I wanted to see. Path tracing is the future, but even with lumen, a talented developer can achieve photo-realistic results too.

Killer8

The "PS4 assets" thing cracks me up. The game barely even ran on a PS4 without massive downgrades. This was "PS4 assets" at launch:

LfEjFJk.jpg

The game took 20 seconds to load in textures and hobbled along at 15fps. It was so bad it got pulled from sale. Even after the patches rolled in and made it somewhat playable, this is what the comparison looked like (*using Psycho RT here, so Overdrive looks even better):

ps4u9fqm.png

Deep down, Cyberpunk was always a next-gen game that was downgraded just enough to run (and barely at that) on then current gen consoles. It was not a GTAV on PS3 later upgraded on PS4 scenario - behind the scenes, it was more like a Shadow of Morder on PS4 being ported down to PS3 scenario.

The idea of generations is also getting about as blurry as that PS4 screenshot. We had mid-gen refreshes in both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, so there was already a stepping stone between last gen and this gen. This gen we will likely get another mid-gen refresh (rumored to be next year), before PS6 and Xbox whatever touch down.

We have also had the concept of graphics settings for eons - PC typically gets your 'ultra' experience while consoles get the high or even lower experience much of the time. It's more likely the target for Cyberpunk, as evidenced in all the gameplay demos, were done using ultra 4K PC assets, while the assets that wound up on PS4 were just the lowest possible iteration of each setting they could get away, with while still running okay.

Top Bottom