• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

Celcius

°Temp. member
I never imagined the 4090 being brought to it's knees. Bring on the 4090 Ti with the rumored 4 slot cooler!

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
With the power consumption and heat how big should the console be?
The PS5 is already a big boi, a little bit more chunky wouldn't hurt. Also we are going to 3 nm or even under so we are gonna see more efficient chips.

Lethal01

Inaccurate probably isn't the right word, but devs would absolutely want unnatural lighting. I mean there isn't a movie or TV show where the lighting isn't meticulously designed and staged in a way that isn't using "real" light sources. Hell even nonfiction two people in a room doing an interview requires a ton of extra lighting.

I think there are going to be some artistic growing pains where it becomes trendy to have literally only diagetic lighting, but eventually devs will probably work out the best ways to have nondiagetic lighting for artistic effect. Still ray traced or whatever, but coming from sources that don't actually exist.
The way that developers want to fake their lighting is simply not helped by rasterized techniques, they actually probably just get in the way of them even for extremely stylized games if they do include some form of screen space reflection of occlusion those effects dissapearing at the edge of the screen is not something they actually want.

Imagine being so disingenuous that you cherry-pick the one scene that shows a limited difference, among tons that show big differences.
Even the example he showed looks more than worth it to me.

RayHell

If anyone wants the game, humble bundle is selling it for 50% off right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...hrees_tile_index_3_c_cyberpunk2077_storefront

Myself, I think I'll hold out until it drops to $20 and I have a 4090 or better.
Buy a 2000$ graphic card but wait for a game to be 10$ cheaper
Awkward Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Buggy Loop

The RTX 4090 roughly doubles the fps in most games without dlss3 compared to my RTX 3080 ti.

Yeah but those aren't using SER on 4000 series, so i would expect quite a bigger kneecap against Ampere here.

Im sure we could tweak some setting to get it locked 1440p30 with dlss, Alex will do a optimised setting video.

For sure, but I think he will be way more limited in what he can do this time. Here the whole pipeline is uniform and not really "selectable" from what i understand, unlike previous ray tracing options where the rasterization was available to fall back on. Just a guess but i think that it's gonna be overdrive... or fall back to previous Hybrid rasterization.

pipeline-rt.jpg

pipeline-full-rt.jpg

Not saying there's no solutions, but it'll be tough to fall back on other settings to optimize.

Alex's optimised non-raytraced settings have now been likely converted to the path tracing pipeline

Local shadow, cascaded shadows, distant shadows, screen space reflections, ambient occlusion, mirror quality...
They're likely gone with this mode? I would think so 🤷‍♂️

All a guess of course. Let's see tomorrow.

Last edited:

yamaci17

If a rtx 4090 can get 40fps 4k dlss performance and 80 with dlss3, than we could expect 1440p30 dlss performance atleast. The RTX 4090 roughly doubles the fps in most games without dlss3 compared to my RTX 3080 ti. Im sure we could tweak some setting to get it locked 1440p30 with dlss, Alex will do a optimised setting video.
You also have to take other factors into account. They most likely used every exclusive feature Ada has to get that performance levels. Shader execution reordering is one of the most critical ones most likely, then there are opacity micromaps (it reduces ray tracing performance impact with in heavy foliage areas from what I gather). So for now, it is really hard to assume what we will have on Ampere/Turing. I remember there was an area in Cyberpunk with a lot of foliage/dense lush forestlike enviroment. That place tanked ray tracing performance heavily.

I too will force-try 1080p/DLSS quality/30 FPS lock on my 3070. Similar to what I did with Portal RTX. Let's see what happens lol. Maybe path tracing can make the 1080p blur shine somehow. But I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

Turk1993

You also have to take other factors into account. They most likely used every exclusive feature Ada has to get that performance levels. Shader execution reordering is one of the most critical ones most likely, then there are opacity micromaps (it reduces ray tracing performance impact with in heavy foliage areas from what I gather). So for now, it is really hard to assume what we will have on Ampere/Turing. I remember there was an area in Cyberpunk with a lot of foliage/dense lush forestlike enviroment. That place tanked ray tracing performance heavily.

I too will force-try 1080p/DLSS quality/30 FPS lock on my 3070. Similar to what I did with Portal RTX. Let's see what happens lol. Maybe path tracing can make the 1080p blur shine somehow. But I'm skeptical.
I mean sure those will help but its not gonna be 15 vs 40 fps type difference. Thats why i aimed at half the pixels and 20% less fps (1440p30 vs 2160p40+). But we will see when its released in a couple of hours. And i think you're 3070 gonna be more than fine at 1080p.

Im also hoping that they update the photomode so that we can have native 4K supersampled high quality photo's instead of the basic standard in game render quality.

kingyala

Banned
alot of propaganda in an all ugly looking game... everything is flat all they are showing is bounce olighting on ugly fucking flat surfaces, i dont understand why people find this special. in my all gaming life i find metal gear solid 2 rain effects more special than this crap. like for god sake ps2 could raytrace a cube and here they are just showing how cyberpunk flat ugly stuff can be raytraced on a gpu that costs 2000£ in 2023 like why are people so overwhelmed by this crap. This is not gamechanging or special in any way. I would feel compeled if cdprojek made a better looking game than naughty dog or rockster.. but they cant, and as usual as all bad artists do is fall to engineering techniques to compromise... let me make it clear, there is no enough rays or engineering magic that can make an ugly game look good.

Buggy Loop

alot of propaganda in an all ugly looking game... everything is flat all they are showing is bounce olighting on ugly fucking flat surfaces, i dont understand why people find this special. in my all gaming life i find metal gear solid 2 rain effects more special than this crap. like for god sake ps2 could raytrace a cube and here they are just showing how cyberpunk flat ugly stuff can be raytraced on a gpu that costs 2000£ in 2023 like why are people so overwhelmed by this crap. This is not gamechanging or special in any way. I would feel compeled if cdprojek made a better looking game than naughty dog or rockster.. but they cant, and as usual as all bad artists do is fall to engineering techniques to compromise... let me make it clear, there is no enough rays or engineering magic that can make an ugly game look good.

The Office Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

nemiroff

Gold Member
I mean kind of agree, gi is important but I dont think its the holy grail of rendering like some claim.

Especially if your completely blind.

Last edited:

Turk1993

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24744-1432295601-5.gif

Especially if your completely blind.
He is blind of hatred towards anything related to Nvidia. He called everything that Nvidia did a gimmick and sees Jensen as the fucking devil lol.

Buggy Loop

He is blind of hatred towards anything related to Nvidia. He called everything that Nvidia did a gimmick and sees Jensen as the fucking devil lol.

Wow really? I must have missed that gem.

His Lumen "noT rAy TRaCiNG!" comprehension over the span of a dozen posts already makes him instantaneously recognized as someone who has no fucking clues. Guy will fucking call Tim Sweeney to tell him about his own tech and papers if he doesn't take his meds.

And, of course, like every modern game that has to follow the same trends, this one also dials up the Atomic Explosion Froze In Timefor every scene like this:

y6Q5VDY.png

Yeah, let's make all games look like you see them through a shitty phone camera.
It’s how physical lenses and light works.

Yea, let’s make everything look like it’s an HDR photo and not have dark shadows or bright spots.

This is a look into the future of realtime graphics. And holy shit does it look awesome!
Hopefully with advancement in AI frame generation and game engines finding clever ways of raytracing complex scenes this will be possible with next gen consoles.
Because brute force aint going to cut it.

Roni

Gold Member
Wonder if I can pull off Overdrive on 1080@60 with a 3080 Ti and DLSS 2. I'm not following numbers for GPU's anymore, gonna have to try when the update comes out.

Banned
Wonder if I can pull off Overdrive on 1080@60 with a 3080 Ti and DLSS 2. I'm not following numbers for GPU's anymore, gonna have to try when the update comes out.

I bet you can get to 60fps with DLSS, the question is more if it will look good and how low you have to set your DLSS setting.
the GPU load on this seems to be less harsh than I expected, and raytracing scales heavily with resolution, so at 1080p with DLSS Quality mode it should actually run fine on a 3080ti I bet

Banned
And, of course, like every modern game that has to follow the same trends, this one also dials up the Atomic Explosion Froze In Timefor every scene like this:

y6Q5VDY.png

Yeah, let's make all games look like you see them through a shitty phone camera.

to be fair tho, Cyberpunk is one of the rare games where effects like these make sense.
it is in-game canon that you have a somewhat shitty eye implant that even needs repairing at the start of the game.
so having effects that emulate camera flaws actually makes sense, which is why this is also one of the rare cases where I think Chromatic Aberration actually works and should be left on, as it fits with the makeshift-tech-scifi and body-hacking setting of the game.

Robbinhood

Banned

y6Q5VDY.png

Came to say this.

The lighting technique looks incredible 90% of the time but there are over exposed shots like this that simply do not look natural. Is it mimicking my eyes or a fooking camera exposure? There were a couple other shots I found looked better with rasterization like the alley with the dumpster, that one light bulb looked to be lighting the scene more realistic than the overdrive slides, even though there's a little indirect lighting from outside, it wouldn't light the scene that extremely.

Still, very beautiful.

Last edited:

hlm666

Any chance this technology is implemented (on some level) in the next gen only versions of Phantom Liberty?
I wouldn't think so, the console RT implementations were already cut back and this is apparently up to 40% heavier than all the old pc RT effects turned up to max. This is a real crysis moment, most people wont be able to run this well for another couple of years. Will be interesting to see how the 4070ti/4080 go with it. UE5 with lumen should get some comparable results on consoles going forward though eventually.

//DEVIL//

I never imagined the 4090 being brought to it's knees. Bring on the 4090 Ti with the rumored 4 slot cooler!
right.. because those extra 9 frames on 4k from 16 fps will make a difference...

anyone who buys a 4090 ti 1 year before the 5000 generation needs to be checked in with the other mentally ill people.

This is not a GPU problem. this is a technology problem. Nothing can be done about it for the time being. if we assume the 5090 is 2x more powerful than 4090, we are talking at 30 fps native to 35 ? not even.

Last edited:

y6Q5VDY.png

They did say its a WIP so expect some weird lighting issues. The light bounce is correct tho, it's just that the bloom effect prolly does not work well with path-tracing.

Get blocked troll. Im not even triggered, i just dont have time for such bs.

nkarafo

to be fair tho, Cyberpunk is one of the rare games where effects like these make sense.
it is in-game canon that you have a somewhat shitty eye implant that even needs repairing at the start of the game.

So after you fix your implant you can actually see in those scenes?

Buggy Loop

The tech they are using it available in unreal

I guess you mean path tracing, which it is in UE5, but not this solution, as in ReSTIR/RTXDI + ReSTIR indirect/PT (? A guess, they have not detailed that part, path tracing solution)

For sure Nvidia will have a plug-in ready after testing and improving the solution in cyberpunk.

Hugare

They’ve said that Cyberpunk will stay on their own engine but yeah only time will tell if UE5 will actually render better results than what they have now without tanking the performance.
For one, in UE 5 they would probably be able to make it look like this on consoles.

This is 100% not possible on consoles with the Red Engine, even at 1080p

Fredrik

For one, in UE 5 they would probably be able to make it look like this on consoles.

This is 100% not possible on consoles with the Red Engine, even at 1080p
Yeah but if it tanks the PC performance and add shader stutter instead it’ll be a downgrade for me as a PC gamer.

E-Cat

Point is - and always was - that Cyberpunk's problems lie in the poorly detailed models (and other assets like the water), and that doesn't get solved by path tracing.
This is just an over-polished turd.

Using full path tracing is an interesting concept that had already been shown with Minecraft and Quake II.
There's just not enough performance at the consumer level (where the 4090 doesn't belong) to justify the investment instead of polishing the assets in 2023. Nor will there be as long as the RT implementations are as stiff as they are with DXR 1.1.

Cyberpunk could could have been a spectacular-looking game at this point, had CDPR been focused on making it look good instead of making Nvidia advertisements for prosumer cards.

I hope they're at least getting paid by Nvidia to do this. Both them and the triggered dudes in this thread making endless screenshot dumps that further prove my point.
How myopic do you gotta be to look at this amazing breakthrough in real-time path tracing from the viewpoint of Cyberpunk 2077 & the capabilities of today’s GPUs??

Do you even realize most weren’t expecting this capability for several more *years*, or at least running at over 1 fps?

Last edited:
Top Bottom