• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

I have no idea if I would like this game. I dont care about MGS. I tend to like Sony exclusives. Im not one of those poeple that go OmG tHiS vIDeO gAmE iSnT gAmeY eNoUgH. Video games ARENT MOVIES. I wonder if these poptarts felt the same way when music videos came out. The development time is too short. Game sounds like it needs pacing edits. Ehhhhhh.

Chiggs

Gold Member
My friends over at one of my parent company's subsidiaries have told me some rather disheartening things about the game, but did mention the first-rate visuals and storytelling.

The thing that bothered me: one of them said that this game, more than any other Kojima game, has game play that feels like an afterthought. He also said that he expected many reviewers to give the game a pass because of Kojima's clout and that many will find the story to be cutting edge and truly compelling. Lastly, he mentioned that he lost interest 5 hours in.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

bLy2abQ.jpg
I have never seen that movie in full, but it's pretty hilarious that Kojima just made a videogame version of a Kevin Costner flick.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I might pick this up next year, it looks different to me which can be good... but concerned it will be a sluggish-fest.... right now I'm slugging through Spider-Man and its quite difficult to finish.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So basically reading between the lines it's every bit as boring as it appeared to be but it's "Unique"
Yeah. I was thinking that halfway through the baby grows up and you continue the story as that child. Kicking ass and taking names. Maybe a bit of delivery shit and the second half all action. I guess not. I was giving him too much credit that that would be what happens.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yeah. I was thinking that halfway through the baby grows up and you continue the story as that child. Kicking ass and taking names. Maybe a bit of delivery shit and the second half all action. I guess not. I was giving him too much credit that that would be what happens.
Edit: I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned

Can we tone down the parody stuff on this site. It was kind of funny at first, but it's getting old now.

Javthusiast

Banned
Some people online going crazy despite it getting same metacritic scores as Outer Worlds etc. games that have been praised, lmao. Yes this game isn‘t for everyone, but it is not terrible in anyway.

Wait for sales, just watch streams of it or never play or watch it, I will get it because I want to experience it for myself, the reviews wouldn‘t have changed anything.

Hestar69

No wonder people hate "game" journalists.Do these idiots just play like 10 hours of the game and say,okay I like it 9/10,I hated it 7/10. You get paid to REVIEW games! If you hated it so much, finish it and talk about why you hated it.

I have this game pre ordered but I dunno if I'll keep it. I might get pokemon shield or see if black Friday if death stranding drops a few bucks

Best Cargo simulator on the Market

IGN:
"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn’t an enjoyable video game mission – it’s a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school. "
Can we get a thread to " hash out sony first party games are walking simulators"

Im glad it reviewed mixed as from my experience I've enjoyed the games regardless of the reviews

Means more of a surprise for me

Bryank75

Banned
Greg is odd. He disliked The Outer Worlds even though he mainlined the game, admitting fast forwarding through dialogue (which is where the game shines.....and where story arc's change) but he likes this repetitive walking simulator?

If I wanted to read dialogue, I'd buy a book... 'book simulator' hur dur!

Elios83

The game was always going to be divisive the moment it was clear that it was not an action game but something more unique.
It's too much to expect everyone to like a game focused on making deliveries.
Kojima honestly had balls to make this kind of game. It would have been so easy to simply make a reskinned post apocalyptic Metal Gear Solid instead he did what he wanted to do and I think that the overall result with critics is pretty much positive. Tons of 9s and 10s and 84 Metacritic and 86 Opencritic are great scores.
I hope that I will be in the group of those loving the game next week but who knows :D

Last edited:
For some reason reviewers getting super angry and hating the game's guts just intrigues me more.

Looking forward to playing this weird, divisive, possibly quite bad game.

But obviously Luigi comes first.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I hear Dan went off on it on the Beastcast? Then again, he didn‘t think MGS was a political series
LOL so he's a fucking idiot, then?

tbh most game journalists are lazy idiots. i can count the number of articles i read going in on MGSV's politics on zero hands. because nobody took the time to actually look at what the game was saying. cos "Fuck Konami" got the clicks. the game took place in Afganistahn and had US forces working with the Mujihadeen, which happened in real history, and which was a commentary on our current war on terror. did anyone write about that? i didn't see a single "journalist" cover it.

game journalism is largely click & outrage based. not so much about the games themselves. it's hard to value anyone's opinion tbh.

Last edited:

vpance

Damn this is all over the place.

Kallie Plagge at Gamespot gave DS a 9 and Days Gone a 5. Seems hard to trust. Gameinformer review reads more like a 6 than a 7.

Fake

10 - |||||||||||||
09 - ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
08 - |||||||||||||||||
07 - ||||||||
06 - ||||
05 -
04 -
03 - |
02 -
01 -

Weird question time. I've tried to avoid any discourse about this game cuz I want to be surprised. I remember how divisive RDR2 was last year, and there were some people who hated on the game because of it's slow pacing. I loved RDR2 for exactly those reasons. I'm wondering (hoping) that it's going to be a similar experience for me in that I tend to really enjoy slower paced games with weighty animation priorities.

Hope I worded that correctly, I just woke up.

Saruhashi

Banned
No! Why even pre-order a game? Any game? Who does that?

People who know they will definitely play the game?

Never really understood this attitude with games specifically?

People buy tickets for movies and concerts, make reservations at restaurants, book vacations and make all kinds of other plans based on the idea that they might enjoy it.

Looking at the game right now it has 84 on Metacritic. When it comes out for real we will get user reviews.
I don't really feel like either can be trusted so how can I know what a game, that I am interested in, is like without buying it and playing it.

Seems like a bit of a catch 22. I like the look of that game and I don't want to be spoilered buuuut I also don't want to play it unless I know with 100% certainty that it's a 9 out of 10 at least.

Why would this even be a question if I am definitely interested in the game?
I am obviously going to buy it and play it so why not have it ready to go on the launch day?

I don't understand how people end up thinking like this is a bad idea. To buy a game you are interested in playing.
Definitely sometimes you will get stung. The game will be garbage and you feel a bit let down.
I'd rather make my own mistakes than have some reviewers, with whom I have very little in common, dictate my gaming decisions.

To be fair, really good critic reviews can definitely convince me to buy and play a game I would not otherwise be interested in.

I just can't see how some clown from IGN giving out a 6.8 and the game getting an 84/100 score overall would make me think "dammit, that game I really, really, want to play seems unappealing now, I regret my pre-order".

Shifty1897

What's interesting is a lot of the tediousness mentioned in the reviews may never happen to the player once zip lines and other structures are built to help players traverse.

Props to Kojima for making something so different from the design-by-committee Ubisoft open worlds that plague this generation. Even reviewers don't know what to make of it, as evidenced from the standard deviation of review scores.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't even like Kojima's games and i find his storytelling and cut scenes pretentious. And even in this game, the way it shows off character faces and emotions feels so obnoxious to me.

And yet, i do find the mechanics in this game very interesting to the point that i am thinking of buying this. Last Kojima game i bought was Metal Gear Solid 2 btw.

The reviews tell me that the gameplay is mostly shit. I am glad that I had no horse in this race, gonna pick it up next year on PC. I just can't get something with hardly any gameplay in it right now.

I am impressed with the Metacritic score.

This game is really bad gameplay wise.

Yes the story is good, the graphics are good, but the gameplay is really boring.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Pre order discounts. They exist and can sometimes be pretty decent.
Well Amazon USED to do that but I think Microsoft and Sony made them stop, but lately WalMart had $10 off new games. Sometimes at 8 am I will go online, order it and get the discount and just run in after work and pick up.

Shrap

Whoa, all this division has me really intrigued to play the game. It's still managed an 84 metascore despite the mixed reviews.

I'll be playing this for sure.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well Amazon USED to do that but I think Microsoft and Sony made them stop, but lately WalMart had $10 off new games. Sometimes at 8 am I will go online, order it and get the discount and just run in after work and pick up.
We only have them here in Canada during E3.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A simple proposal:

How can gaming change and grow if we demand consensus that every new direction attempted is a slam dunk?

It doesn't work like that. You go "off the map" and you are almost guaranteed to lose some percentage of the audience, because not everyone likes change or is adaptable/amenable to them getting something different than they expect.

At some point it needs to be accepted that sometimes partial successes are more valuable than iterative improvements on existing formulae.

Fbh

Just watched the Easy Allies review.

Looks boring as hell. I had hoped that the boring traversal of big empty places was just the beginning and that the game was hiding many more things Kojima just wasn't showing.....but nope, seems like that's it's and on the few occasions it breaks from it, it's for bad combat or bad boss battles.

Surprised they gave it an 8 as I've never seen a review of theirs use the word "boring" and "tedious" so many times.
I guess it's going for the same "it's supposed to be boring" style as Shenmue which some might like.

Might pick it up when it's $20 to check out the story

Last edited:
Top Bottom