• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, how much do you guys think Death Stranding 2 will sell?

How much?

• Total voters
If it sold 10 million, I imagine that would enable Kojima to make whatever he wants.

Why is he still signing exclusivity deals?

Drizzlehell

Banned
dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
Not enough
For comparison Death Stranding 1 has sold 10+ million copies across 3 platforms.

There was much more hype back in 2019, it was Kojima's new game post Konami after all but also a lot of people got turned off after playing the first one and finding the gameplay kinda meh.
Yeah whatever.
Crazy intro
Symbolism
Payoffs
My first HDR
As an adult male feeling that tension for the first time
First time I got caught was the third scariest thing in my life after vehicular death... Twice

Bring on the crazy Kojima san.
That three (?) hour ending was a fucking ride even after MGS:R

Last edited:
About the same as the first one. Even if it sells a little less, I'm sure Sony will be happy as long as the game gets those sweet GOTY nominations/awards.
I'm sure that's one of the reasons the sequel got greenlit, because it keeps the brand among the conversation of "the best games of the year".

Markio128

The benefit Death Stranding has (other than being a game I really enjoyed) are the recognisable actors (I don’t think Reeves and Elba did Cyberpunk any harm). It makes marketing so much easier.

I’ll say it’ll sell the same, if not more, than the first.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I would hope that it sells less. A lot of people were disappointed by the gameplay. It was really, really tedious. Hey lets manage inventory item by item and have to Ballance while we deliver packages. Fucking terrible.

T-Cake

I managed about two hours in the first one and then it got put to sleep never to be redownloaded. I have zero interest at all in a sequel. So there will be people like me which means the 2nd would sell less. Then that will be offset by people who haven't played the first and want to try the second. So perhaps even stevens. Slightly less is my predicition. 7 million.

Last edited:

killatopak

DS1 was such a well timed game that it’s almost prophetic as much as his other ones.

It’s gonna be hard to top the first one but I’m hoping to be surprised.

I know it wasn't really in keeping with this design philosophy laid out by Kojima, but I really hope they can add some more robust combat into the sequel.

I respect the vision Kojima has for the game itself, where he wants to take it, but I feel like the original game with some great third person gunplay and a more robust, tactical attitude to its melee combat, would have elevated Death Stranding to the very top tier of AAA gaming..

Like I said, I know it wasn't really an "action" game, and combat wasn't seen as that important, but a sequel can go in any direction he wants and there's no reason why the second instalment (in what I believe is a trilogy) can't be more action focused than the first part.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've no idea tbh but I'm in a tough position as I'm not gaming right now and don't own a PS5 or gaming PC as there is fuck all that I want to play(this gen has been a giant meh to me).....but this is a game I want to experience after loving the first one.....I'm gonna need a PS5 and I presume a PS+ subscription for the online elements which is important to this game.....ooofff,I may have to hope next gen brings me back in and I can play it then.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Of those that bought the original, I'm guessing only 1/3 (like me) are hyped to come back, and because outlets enjoying the game oversold to the casual crowd I could see a undersell by IGN, et al this time, dragging that number lower. But as the market is bigger, with a huge influx of younger gamers I think they'll be sold by a demo, trailers or word of mouth and make up a big number, so suspect it will hit 5-6M

I've no idea tbh but I'm in a tough position as I'm not gaming right now and don't own a PS5 or gaming PC as there is fuck all that I want to play(this gen has been a giant meh to me).....but this is a game I want to experience after loving the first one.....I'm gonna need a PS5 and I presume a PS+ subscription for the online elements which is important to this game.....ooofff,I may have to hope next gens brings me back in and I can play it then.
It's not something I've ever looked into, but I'm assuming there isn't a streaming service you can use to play Playstation games direct from Sony?

Something, you could play via a compatible TV or device (phone, laptop etc...).

Last edited:

Kikorin

I think it gained a cult status as a game, but I don't think it will sell much at first, probably on the long run. I've the same feeling for Alan Wake 2, the first one sold poorly, but it become a cult and sold well in the very long run.

I loved the first one such a unique game building the roads I swear I put more materials in then anyone else the bastard's
Same!
Did you also later discover that you're only supposed to do so AFTER adding the zone to the network? ;)
The portion already built before-hand isn't actually by others, it's just built in. But lots of players built as they went instead of the intented Network, then working backwards to build.

For comparison Death Stranding 1 has sold 10+ million copies across 3 platforms.

There was much more hype back in 2019, it was Kojima's new game post Konami after all but also a lot of people got turned off after playing the first one and finding the gameplay kinda meh.
That 10 million figure is total players not sales. It was on playstation plus and PC game pass.

It has sold 5 million as of 2021 so likely 6 to 7 million sales.

I have really high hopes for DS2. Kojima made DS1 in about 3 years with a completely new studio with limited manpower. Even if the gameplay is unchanged from DS1, I would still expect this game to sell well for one reason, graphics. It will be the first time the Decima engine will be used from the ground up on the PS5. It will probably be the best looking game on the market. I played DS1 less than a year ago and that game is still gorgeous

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Let's not forget Death Stranding 1 didn't have a big start for a triple A game. The numbers may look impressive now, but it was discounted, got a director's cut version and was ported to other platforms.

I expect DS2 to perform worse. Kojima fans will still buy it, but from what I've seen and heard a lot of the gamers didn't like the gameplay in DS1 (myself included).

NoobSmog

I don't think Kojima is the type of person to just make "more of the same". I really want to see more before making a judgement call on how it will do.

pasterpl

I think it will sell less than 1. It was a new ip with much hype. Many people didn't know what to expect and bought it blindly. Not all of them liked it.
That’s basically me. Preordered based on hyped for my PS4 Pro and didn’t like at all.

If it sold 10 million, I imagine that would enable Kojima to make whatever he wants.

Why is he still signing exclusivity deals?
You get the development help as well as marketing. He's using Decima for example and Sony market the hell out of exclusives.

I imagine Xbox will as well.

I've no idea tbh but I'm in a tough position as I'm not gaming right now and don't own a PS5 or gaming PC as there is fuck all that I want to play(this gen has been a giant meh to me).....but this is a game I want to experience after loving the first one.....I'm gonna need a PS5 and I presume a PS+ subscription for the online elements which is important to this game.....ooofff,I may have to hope next gens brings me back in and I can play it then.
You didn't need PS+ with the first game on PS5 even for the online stuff.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Even though the first part has sold 10 million copies, I think the second part will be much smaller. Many people I know were very disappointed by gameplay and expected something completely different.

Top Bottom