• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers is now the 6th best selling Mainline Sonic game in franchise history. How much more will it sell? (Prediction thread)

How much will Sonic Frontiers sell in the end?

• Total voters
With the recent sales release from Sega making the rounds that was completely unexpected, it's also important to mention that Sonic Frontiers has managed to quickly become the 6th best selling Mainline Sonic game in franchise history, which is no small feat given how long and how many sales cuts (long-term) it took for most of the top games in the franchise after the top 4 to sell what they did.

Updated chart as of 12/13/2022 for Mainline Sonic games,

GamePlatform
1Sonic The Hedgehog15 million
2Sonic 2Over 7 million
3Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles4 million (combined)
4Sonic Heroes3.4 million
5Sonic Adventure2.5 million (DC)
6Sonic Frontiers2.5 million
7Sonic Unleashed2.45 million
8Sonic Colors2.18 million
9Shadow the HedgehogOver 2 million
10Sonic Generations1.85 million
11Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC)1.5 million
12Sonic CD1.5 million
13Sonic ManiaOver 1 million
14Sonic 2006870,000 (Genesis only)
15Sonic Lost World710,000 (Original sales Wii U)
16Sonic 3D Blast700,000 (Genesis)
17Sonic Boom Wii U and 3DS620,000
18Sonic ForcesLess than 15k in Japan, Unknown ROTW no chart placement

Now the question is how much more will Sonic Frontiers sell? Sonic releases have had a habit for over a decade now of having stronger sales frontloaded and then quickly declining in sales with a low stagnations which is why they usually haven't put in the best results despite the perception of how big the brand is seen, as shown in the above chart. Usually a Sonic game selling another million after early sales is unheard of post Genesis.

However, we don't know if that will hold true again for Frontiers. Will it run into that same problem and fail to do much more than SA1 on DC, or will it have longer legs and hype with updates that will cause it to sell even further?

If the latter how far do you think Sonic Frontiers will sell? Past Sonic Heroes? Sonic3/Knuckles? Can it reach Sonic 2? Does it have the potential of being the best selling game in the franchise with 15 million or more sold?

Also for fun, here are the non0mainline Mario and Sonic Olympic cross over sales, I think it's likely that Sonic Frontiers will do better than the London Games, not so sure about the WInter games.

1Mario & Sonic at Olympic Gamesover 10 million copies sold
2Mario & Sonic at Winter Olympic Gamesover 6 million copies sold
3Mario & Sonic at London gamesover 3 million copies sold

Bragr

Banned
Huh? I thought the Sonic franchise sold better than this, that's pathetic numbers for such a franchise. Sonic Adventure was on Dreamcast and Xbox 360 right? 2.5 million for that makes no sense to me.

I knew the first 3 games sold well but damn, I hope Frontiers crack 5 million by the summer, cause that game is on every platform and was marketed heavily enough.

Huh? I thought the Sonic franchise sold better than this, that's pathetic numbers for such a franchise. Sonic Adventure was on Dreamcast and Xbox 360 right? 2.5 million for that makes no sense to me.

I knew the first 3 games sold well but damn, I hope Frontiers crack 5 million by the summer, cause that game is on every platform and was marketed heavily enough.

Sonics had games on many platforms multiple times.

Sega never released detailed digital sales for SA1 and SA2 though based on rankings it's probably not as high as people think. Sonic has a loud fanbase but the actual going out and buying never really lined up.

Unknown?

Doesn't count rereleases, I don't think except for Sonic 1??? Sonic 2 outsold the first game. 2.5M only counts DC, not GC or the digital rereleases.

Unknown?

What?

Sega has also not released numbers for the digital releases as i said before, or the GC, though it didn't do well on the GC like SA2B which they did announce numbers for so we at least know that.
Um oops, guess it did do better due to bundles but Sonic 2 broke records when it released and sold way more than the first initially.

Um oops, guess it did do better due to bundles but Sonic 2 broke records when it released and sold way more than the first initially.

Sonic 2 had a great start but then it started dipping and was held up by bundles. Sonic 3 did worse and then Sonic 4 and so on. It really was a one and done peak.

Top Bottom