• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima teases Death Stranding 2 will change the meaning of "strand"

Here We Go Again GIF

Brigandier

I remember watching the first few trailers for DS1 and thought it was going to be amazing.... Ended up being unbelievably boring with dire Combat it was utter shit.

Won't be falling for the total shit he chats.

BootsLoader

Banned
As much as I love Kojima, drink his piss and eat his shit, it is becoming tiring. All this “strand” and “enigma” and similarities with real life and COVID. Just make the next game, I loved the first one. Just release the second game and make it a normal game.
Or, make another game, new genre.

John Bilbo

"On the other hand," the developer continues, "I felt that this pseudo-connection alone was not enough to achieve human-like fulfilment in life. I felt that human beings need to get out into the outside world and move."

Mobile gameplay element? Meeting strangers outside to share the load?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's debatable. But what isn't debatable is how fucking far up his own ass he is. Back when he got fired from Konami, I was firmly on his side. Now I think I understand why Konami fired his ass. He must be a nightmare to deal with and he really needs someone who is able to say "no" to him.

Saying no to him is different than him being "far up his own ass". With him being a creative, sometimes they speak in big ways that seem crazy. But that's part of being a visionary and a creative. They aren't normal people like us.

Some of his indulgences, like exposition dump cutscenes that are overly long or his writing that, at least in MGS5 and Death Stranding, was too pseudo-intellectual, imho. Where he just fucking tried too hard to be deep and it shows. But maybe it's just me.
I still think he peaked with MGS1,2 (and maybe 3). And on those projects, he had writers and assistant directors helping him out and producers who said to him "ok, wrap it up, get it done.". And I now I'm starting to think that this helped tremendously. Chris Roberts is also one who is in dire need of a "no-man". His work was his best when he was with Origin Systems and had people supervising him. Granted, my favorite of his games is Freelancer but even there, he had to step down from the position of director because the project just went on and on until Microsoft put their foot down.

No it's just you.

As much as I love Kojima, drink his piss and eat his shit, it is becoming tiring. All this “strand” and “enigma” and similarities with real life and COVID. Just make the next game, I loved the first one. Just release the second game and make it a normal game.
Or, make another game, new genre.

Then you don't love Kojima then if the bolded is true. This comes with the Kojima package. It's why he's so beloved. For some of the same reasons why people loved Steve Jobs and people love Elon Musk.

Last edited:

Hudo

Saying no to him is different than him being "far up his own ass". With him being a creative, sometimes they speak in big ways that seem crazy. But that's part of being a visionary and a creative. They aren't normal people like us.
No it's just you.
Well, as a mere mortal, looking up to the god that Kojima apparently is, it seems that it is just impossible for me to comprehend his genius. Very well, then. Fair enough.

Still, Death Stranding (and to a lesser degree MGSV) were the most self-indulgent and 2deep4me games I have played. And I still think his team are the actual MVPs, filtering through his nonesense and translating his good ideas into the games.

RaduN

So many people here pretend they played DS but actually did not, and they come with this omg the pretentiousness, omg teh self-indulgent-nesss narrative that's been around since ~ '98.
If you actually cared to play it to the end, you'd find out it's actually one of the most sincere and poignant experiences modern AAA gaming has to offer.
This game and others like it, indies in general, are the ones pushing the medium forward, while the vast majority of blockbuster games keep it frozen and inert.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, as a mere mortal, looking up to the god that Kojima apparently is, it seems that it is just impossible for me to comprehend his genius. Very well, then. Fair enough.

Still, Death Stranding (and to a lesser degree MGSV) were the most self-indulgent and 2deep4me games I have played. And I still think his team are the actual MVPs, filtering through his nonesense and translating his good ideas into the games.

His team would literally be nothing if he wasn't running the show. You can't credit his team, but not credit the visionary that put everything in place to begin with. Otherwise it just sounds like hate.

He knows he is talking nonsense all the time but he also knows his fans will eat it up. He is one of the biggest trolls in gaming, convinced so many normies he is a creative genius and that alone makes him kind of a genius.

Or............he recognizes that he has a fan base that understands his ethos and likes his creativity. I understand in this timeline that we are living in, people aren't allowed to like something unless 99% of the world likes it too. Shocking huh!

So many people here pretend they played DS but actually did not, and they come with this omg the pretentiousness, omg teh self-indulgent-nesss narrative that's been around since ~ '98.
If you actually cared to play it to the end, you'd find out it's actually one of the most sincere and poignant experiences modern AAA gaming has to offer.
This game and others like it, indies in general, are the ones pushing the medium forward, while the vast majority of blockbuster games keep it frozen and inert.

"They" would know this, if they found a way to stop hating on Kojima first.

Hudo

His team would literally be nothing if he wasn't running the show. You can't credit his team, but not credit the visionary that put everything in place to begin with. Otherwise it just sounds like hate.
Fair enough. I am not that invested to start a fight over the guy.

Roni

Gold Member
People never actually read the shit in question, especially if this dude is involved. Just the thread title/headline while at some other point probably trashing others for falling for clickbait.

"Strand" is a connection system they talk about a ton in DS1. He's merely saying, literally, it'll mean something else in the second game. He wasn't even alluding to a genre he created or anything. Kojima GETS INTERVIEWED, aka asked to talk about his game, he talks about the game in detail and therefore is an arrogant cunt. "This is what inspired the game and this is how it'll change in the sequel and why" LOOOL pretentious nerd 🤣🤣
Thankfully someone said it...

Death Stranding like Nier Automata is what I want all japanese developers to aspire to make. Weird, introspective and decidedly very different than the western side of things. What strands the whole package is a universal human message everyone can relate to.

DS was such a weird experience for me. I was utterly enamored with it until the middle of Chapter 3. By mid Chapter 4 I couldn’t stand anything about the game and stopped playing it. The writing was the most self-indulgent crap I’ve ever experienced and the gameplay was dreadful.

Last edited:

No it's just you.

Then you don't love Kojima then if the bolded is true. This comes with the Kojima package. It's why he's so beloved. For some of the same reasons why people loved Steve Jobs and people love Elon Musk.
Sweetheart you are just describing people with huge egos.

00_Zer0

I hope the strand means better combat mechanics and scenarios. I want a return to MGSV level of freedom. I am not sure what DS combat was trying to be, but fun it was not.
Gameplay trumps story to me. The first game looked so boring that I skipped it, whereas I liked most of the MGS games.
I am not about to put hours in a game that doesn't reward me with satisfying gameplay first and foremost.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Kojima doesn’t bust nuts on women’s foreheads. He just strands there, and shoots strands of Kojimbo sauce into their hair.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I loved the first game, sure the story is a bit all over the place and it had some irritating flaws (boss battles & combat need tightening up). But the fact that (for me at least) KojiPro made mere walking, traversal and "the struggle" so incredibly engaging was impressive. It felt tactile, the world so immersive both visually and sonically. Even the organisation of all the parcels on his exoskeleton, trolleys etc. felt like supercharged version of the Resident Evil attaché, something I'd spend forever arranging when I was a kid. When you set off on one of the larger journeys for the first time and then make it; and one of the key songs comes on as you see the giant vista, walking down a hill. It was just wonderful.

Just steadily walking across a rocky field for 15 minutes felt more involved than most games' far more complex mechanics; and it was almost meditative at the same time, I didn't find it boring at all. I felt connected to everything I was doing.

I hear a lot of "it's just a walking simulator". Yet when you take a step back and look at it, pretty much all open world or large scale games are some sort of walking or traversal sim. And that's usually what you spend most of your time doing, it only seems logical to me to use that thing and 'gamify' it, making it a core part of the experience. Pair it with a true sense of exploration, verticality, hazards, an atmospheric world, building out and establishing routes that you can use later, connecting things. I think a lot of folks are focused on the "I've got to get to the thing and do the thing, then get to the next thing". For this, it seems it's the journey to the thing and how you approach it that matters.

I also found it to be one of only a handful of games since ACII to have a truly distinct atmosphere and overall feel. It's truly iconic.

This generation has had a few solid games, but for the most part the entire thing has just been a bit of a dud with the over-extended cross-gen [and despite the hardware paradigm shifts]. DS2 is honestly the only game I've been truly excited for, I hope the fundamentals are still in place but beyond that I know I'm going to surprised. Heck, I'm pretty surprised they're even getting to make it.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Wow Death Stranding so bad. Kojima worse director ever !!
Sold 10M copies while all the reviews were out and multiple version launches.

Top Bottom