• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Fake

Miyamoto should not even be compared to any of those people! for goodness sake he is responsible for games like Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda! he has shaped the gaming industry and created classics that millions of people love.

what has Kojima done? metal gear. policenauts, P.T, death stranding.

policenauts most people probably have never even heard of. P.T was cancelled. death stranding isn't reviewing as well as hoped. metal gear is all he has been good for.
I just point that is 'OK' to like some game devs. Shigeru Miyamoto is imo above all them, but opinions vary.
If they're really good or not is another story.

Best Cargo simulator on the Market

IGN:
"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn’t an enjoyable video game mission – it’s a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school. "

mortal

Miyamoto should not even be compared to any of those people! for goodness sake he is responsible for games like Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda! he has shaped the gaming industry and created classics that millions of people love.

what has Kojima done? metal gear. policenauts, P.T, death stranding.

policenauts most people probably have never even heard of. P.T was cancelled. death stranding isn't reviewing as well as hoped. metal gear is all he has been good for.
Posting on a forum and minimizing other people's accomplishments is one of the easiest things to do. So easy even a chimp could do it, hell so easy even kraspkibble kraspkibble can do it.
Being able to achieve what Kojima or Miyamoto or any passionate creator worth their salt have managed to achieve certainly takes more thought and effort than talking shit from peanut gallery.

Vol5

I think I understand now. The traversal is the overarching gameplay mechanic. You have to have a strategy for the landscape before you leave. Whereas games are mostly just moving through an environment, DS make you take a considered approach to it.

May pick this up when it releases on PC.

Saber

I think I understand now. The traversal is the overarching gameplay mechanic. You have to have a strategy for the landscape before you leave. Whereas games are mostly just moving through an environment, DS make you take a considered approach to it.

May pick this up when it releases on PC.

Sounds more like yeah. Going blind thinking would be easy is a stupid choice.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Want to play it on PC but i'm fucking bored, I mean fucking hell I watched all of WWE Crown Jewel yesterday... all of it. So I going to have to suck it up and tolerate my hideously loud PS4 Pro.

ROMhack

Best Cargo simulator on the Market

IGN:
"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn’t an enjoyable video game mission – it’s a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school. "

That unironically sounds like a lot of fun to me.

I can see where the IGN person is coming from, though. None of the reviews I've read make this sound like a conventionally enjoyable videogame. How much one appreciates Death Stranding will likely come down to one's tastes -- I mean, I find Bayonetta, DMC, etc a bit boring but many would find that c-c-c-razy.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I called that USGamer review, what a trash site. So predictable.

IGN and Stevevoirs reviews were disgraceful as well....

Otherwise, it seems like the game is doing great critically, I thought it would hit 90 or 91 but mid-eighties is totally respectable considering the absolute bellends that are doing reviews for some of the sites.

Just watched the Easy Allies review. Man, not what I was expecting. I thought Kojima would nail the gameplay aspect right despite the story being predictably bonkers as is always the case with him. To hear that the combat and stealth elements get repetitive is disappointing. I expected better from the guy who created the Metal Gear Solid series.

As it said in the review, it looks like the game nails the traversal mechanics and allowing you the freedom to figure out how best to clear obstacles. The fact that you spend a great deal traversing a lonely wilderness doesn't bother me. A lot of people complained about that aspect in Red Dead Redemption 2, but I personally loved it. But I'm kind burnt out on travelling in wide open spaces within games, so it's a pass for me.

As for the story, I figured it would be your standard Kojima gobbledygook with frequent exposition dumps and plot twists that come out of nowhere. Again, he's not a good storyteller and I've known since the first MGS. He really should have stuck to the game design aspects and less on bringing Hollywood talent and production values to what is essentially a fricking walking simulator.

I may try it at some point. But only on sale.

Agree with %100

Watching IGN review, maaan, that was disappointing. The world looks so intriguing and gorgeous reminds of Tom's movie Oblivion. It's my type of jam, was looking forward exploring that world 😔..gm had sooooo much potential.

game sounds exactly what would be the result if you gave Hideo Kojima a pile of money and left him alone to make a something to put on your ps4 (or pc)

LostDonkey

So it's not a fake game. Reviews seem good apart from a couple. Probs wait for pc version myself though I do love a good old Kojima tickle.

dan76

It's the emporers new clothes. The "gameplay" looks dreadful and a lot of these reviews are giving him some slack just because. The Easy Allies review was pretty harsh but they gave it an 8? Weird. I found the IGN one to be pretty funny actually, which is a surprise as I can't stick 'em. Going by the reviews it's everything I hate in a video game, and plays exactly like I feared it would.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Sounds like a game that tries new things and as a result isn't gonna be for everyone. That's gonna affect its MC score in the short term, but I'm happy to see that people are still making games that are outside the box because that can only be a good thing for gamers in the long term.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It sounds like the game has a lot of issues and a lot of people didn't find the gameplay much fun. The inventory management sounds really bad and having to balance the guys movement doesn't sound fun. I'm going to pour over more reviews on Youtube today, but right now I am leaning towards passing on this one.

Vawn

Banned
Of course this game would get tons of reviews in the 6s and also tons of 9s and 10s.

The confusion has changed from what this game is to whether it's an all-time classic or a piece of trash.

mejin

Of course this game would get tons of reviews in the 6s and also tons of 9s and 10s.

The confusion has changed from what this game is to whether it's an all-time classic or a piece of trash.

Nah, the midia is not that divisive or else it would be impossible to get 84 on Meta/ 86 on open.

Anyway, sales are guaranteed and critics are solid. No doubt it will have a sequel.

It sounds like the game has a lot of issues and a lot of people didn't find the gameplay much fun. The inventory management sounds really bad and having to balance the guys movement doesn't sound fun. I'm going to pour over more reviews on Youtube today, but right now I am leaning towards passing on this one.

All of this was fairly evident in the more recent gameplay demonstrations.

If I wanted micromanagement with little reward I'd just start doing overtime at work.

The 10/10 reviews are questionable and probably won't hold up to consumer scrutiny in the coming months.

Silent Duck

Having read a few reviews the biggest issue seems to be the repetitive gameplay and I was joking a year ago when I said it was FedEx man the game but that's what it sounds like lol.
"It fucking sucks." - Dan Ryckert
bLy2abQ.jpg

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Also, lol at the Xbox fans celebrating this games reviews being "bad", sitting at an 84 Metacritic.

Didn't they just basically throw a celebration over Gears 5 "great" scores, sitting at an 84 Metacritic.

I guess I should expect this from the people who act like the Xbox 360 was the best selling console ever, while the PS3 was an unmitigated disaster.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Also, lol at the Xbox fans celebrating this games reviews being "bad", sitting at an 84 Metacritic.

Didn't they just basically throw a celebration over Gears 5 "great" scores, sitting at an 84 Metacritic.

I guess I should expect this from the people who act like the Xbox 360 was the best selling console ever, while the PS3 was an unmitigated disaster.
it must be tough having to deal with mood swings and your voice suddenly changing m8
how is that puberty treating you?

ROMhack

P.s. I hear Xbox fans eat childrens' bones.

Last edited:
Fanboyism. A lot of the people here dancing in joy over the game's apparent "low" scores were already clearly hoping the game would fail ever since it was announced. If the game got a 97 average they'd be saying it's shit because it didn't get a 98.
These posts aren't much different though. You're trying to invalidate certain opinions that don't align with your own in defense of a game or possibly the man behind the game.

Even if they're trolling it kinda outs you as someone that cares about the reviews or people's opinion even though you haven't finished the game to form your own.

Saruhashi

Banned
In general, I’m not sure how much longer I’m going to be able to trust game reviews, not that I ever let them decide for me anyway. I’ve seen so many movie and tv show reviews the past couple years driven by sociopolitical agendas, I just trust publications less and less anymore.

I have a few youtubers who I trust more than anyone and even though I’ll disagree with them often, I know they’re never gonna push any kind of agenda, they’ll tell it like they see it and that’s all I want in a reviewer. Reviewers who don’t care if they’re the only person in the world who dislikes a game if they mean it and can back it up with examples.

Same here. They are just not fit for purpose anymore. Many of them tanked their credibility and now they can't be trusted.

I think it can work both ways though when you have people dismissing any game that gets a sub-90 score on Metacritic.
Then you have people taking the most negative outlier review and holding that up as "the truth about Game X".

I honestly think as a consumer you are better off ignoring reviews entirely and just picking your games based on previews and hype.
If you end up buying a stinker then that's just the way it goes.

When I look at Death Stranding I see something that's a bit different, maybe a bit unique.
They have my interest but obviously if I was looking for a 2D Platformer or competitive online game then this wouldn't be for me.

I think that in the gaming sphere, especially with reviews, a lot of people do not really grasp the concept of different "genres".

pawel86ck

Banned
I'm not so sure if DS is a fun game, but I have to say graphics looks amazing, especially character rendering. If that's current gen game then I wonder how stunning PS5 games will look like🙂.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Like Norman Reedus I have carefully and cautiously prepped the resources required to enter this hostile terrain and hope to survive unscathed.

It's clear this game is polarising for many people, and for the best part the exchanges have been healthy and within the boundaries we'd expect. Just a note for everyone to reign back on persistent posts that revel in positives or negatives as these often cause personal back and forths that eventually end in lines being overstepped, due to frustration and/or suspected trolling.

There does need to be the acknowledgement that review threads will draw in those who search for opinions that vindicate their own reservations, or others that highlight views that focus on the product delivering a unique and bold experience. When found, they will be posted as authoritative evidence on why people were right to refrain from the purchase, or as proof it was worth a pre-order. We think these exchanges do need to take place and they should be held in good spirits and with an air of flippancy rather than taking offence at certain 'I told you so' comments (from both sides).

Obviously the persistent derails and spamming of such threads is not something we want to see so going forward so let's endeavour to keep discussions to contentious points that can be debated rather than one line antagonism.

Bkdk

Even in gameplay trailers it doesn’tlook good, at least they have a second chance in the pc version where they can greatly improve the game for that release. I’ll just watch on YouTube and will get very similar experience, plus skipping all that slow boring moments.

MiguelItUp

Honestly I'm not concerned one bit, I kind of expected reviews to be pretty divisive. I can't wait to check it out myself.

I do think it's really interesting to see the disagreements though. But this is honestly refreshing to me because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. When everyone loves and agrees on the exact same thing, it can feel pretty forced at times.

I can't wait to go through a lot of these. Also, lol IGN. Can't take Dan's take seriously either, even if he is some big Kojima fan. I've loved Giant Bomb for years and I went there for entertainment before I did reviews.

rofif

Banned
I wonder if it will be better to play with or without ps plus... I am not subbing but I might for the game if its worth it

rofif

Banned
I cannot believe that some people are angry that this isn't next assassins creed or call of duty. We get something new, ambitious and unique. That fantastic even if flawed. I myself cant wait to walk for hours. It sounds relaxing and intriguing

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
How can reviewers give a game 10/10, Are they seriously telling me this is the perfect game, nothing can be improved about it? If so then fair play Kojima
It's because a lot of reviewers aren't gamers. All they care about is pretty graphics and story. They couldn't care less about gameplay.

Not to mention, if a game is too hard for them they will give it poor reviews. The Wonderful 101 is a perfect example of that. Basic/simple gameplay that offers very little challenge is what they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything about it sounds good. Brainlets don't get or appreciate it, but there is one thing that is preventing me from clicking purchase.

The famous faces in the game just take me right out of it. Why is no one commenting on that?

Dibils2k

Greg is odd. He disliked The Outer Worlds even though he mainlined the game, admitting fast forwarding through dialogue (which is where the game shines.....and where story arc's change) but he likes this repetitive walking simulator?
one is console exclusive to PS, the other isnt

he is a pretty simple lad

Saruhashi

Banned
I cannot believe that some people are angry that this isn't next assassins creed or call of duty. We get something new, ambitious and unique. That fantastic even if flawed. I myself cant wait to walk for hours. It sounds relaxing and intriguing

It just seems like people have a very fixed idea in their head of what a videogame should be and when something comes along that messes with that they don't know what to do.

To be fair, you are being asked to spend 60 bucks up front on an experience that could go either way. An experience that will take up 40 to 60 hours of your time, it seems.

I tend to think that an objectively bad game is something that is just broken and buggy.

I can forgive dodgy gameplay when the game is immersive and well made and the story is decent.
I can forgive a bad, or non-existent, story and poor soundtrack etc if the gameplay is excellent.

Death Stranding just seems like the kind of thing that will cause reactions based on pre-conceived, personal. notions of what a game actually is or should be.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
one is console exclusive to PS, the other isnt

he is a pretty simple lad
In the podcast he didn't even point out ANY positives. Then goes on to say he wasn't invested in the characters and fast forwarded the conversations. HEY DOOFUS! That is how you GET invested in the characters.

Top Bottom