• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

The music in the stream seems a bit overbearing at times. Its all very nice and even sort of giving me vibes from Alien, but for atmosphere's sake, less is more sometimes.

codecow

I think at this point we can assume one isn't coming. All I hope for now is that the DLC comes to PC. Can CodeCow/MonkeyPants or someone from Visceral confirm/deny if PC will get any DLC for this game? Or are the overlords at EA keeping you mum on the topic?

The Origin digital platform does support DLC and Dead Space™ 3 is being released on and is using Origin.

Stream was just shut down. Surprised he got as far as he did.

Still, that was amazing.

^haikira: Yeah, the stream service found out about it and stepped in with an official "We do not allow users to stream content of unreleased products" or what-not statement.

AAAAAND we're done with the stream.

Too bad. Even Codecow was in the chat! :p

Faith in game has been restored to almost unskeptical levels. Except for Chapter 1. WTF is that!?

Hell, that stream probably did more to convince me to rethink getting the game than any marketing ever could.

Kind of reminds me of how a preview build of the first several hours or so of Deus Ex:Human Revolution leaked pre-release, yet that was probably the best marketing and most convincing thing I saw of the game pre-release. Sometimes just showing the opening several hours of the game with no commentary or anything is the best way to sell the game.

def sim

Heads up for those who can't wait and are in the NYC area. I called my local mom and pop and they said they should have it in by Fri or Sat. I'd totally take advantage of this if Amazon weren't giving $20 credit with my purchase.

I'm with you. The demo bummed me out pretty hard, but the stream was fantastic. I'm super stoked for DS3 again. Feels good.

Except for Chapter 1. That will probably sour a lot of people who were already skeptical. IT LOOKS HORRIBLE to play. Guess we'll have to bite through that for the better stuff.

BTW the stream was archived.

Relieved to hear that the stream is giving a much better impression than the demo did. Being forced to play co-op to 100% the game is kinda horse shit, though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Honestly, I was really close to writing the game off. The stream kinda brought me back on board. I didn't see the entire stream, but a lot of what I saw reminded me of Dead Space 1, more than the majority of DS 2 did. I'm still kinda weary, but what I saw of Chpt. 7 looked great.

It's terrible how they couldn't just show shit like that mixed with the planet, instead of explosions, explosions, guns, and a partner gunning down explosions. :| Fucking EA man...

The music in the stream seems a bit overbearing at times. Its all very nice and even sort of giving me vibes from Alien, but for atmosphere's sake, less is more sometimes.

That really is true. Who knows how I'll feel when I'm playing it, but it seemed excessive.

Line gun + Force Gun combo looked like a lifesaver.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The streamers have restored faith!?

Not fully. There was a segment towards the end of the stream that looked by the numbers and tedious as all hell, and I still hate the majority of the demo -especially the entire existence of that miniboss-. I did see a lot of promise and things that made the series special...

I honestly blame EA and the demo being used to target a specific group of people, instead of just playing to their strengths...

Basch

I still haven't finished the original. I loved what I did play, but school and work got in the way. I'm looking to get back into it shortly here. I'll probably marathon the first two in the next two weeks. Hopefully, I can get to the third shortly thereafter.

Just watching the beginning of the stream and I love how they have [voice actor spoilers]
Simon Templeman as the Unitology guy

The cover system and combat with human enemies looks pretty clunky though.

def sim

The Origin digital platform does support DLC and Dead Space™ 3 is being released on and is using Origin.

suspi.jpg

jett

D-Member
Just tried out the demo. That was disappointingly clunky. The kind of shootbang they've introduced doesn't really work with the DS controls, at least not to me.

I'm still holding out hope for this, but I'll need GAF impressions. The demo was a disappointment.

My impression is If you're a fan of the series you might be disappointed or thrilled by some of the changes thematically and gameplay wise. You'll still get to stomp death metal style throughout the game. But whilst saying that the new stuff is fantastic and not something to be missed. Weapon creation and a tremendously strong co-op element elevate this game's replay-ability into a territory not seen in the dead space universe.

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason the game get's as much praise from me personally. But it does help that they are at least trying to do something with the universe outside of making the same game. To me this is the Resident Evil 4 of the Dead Space universe. It has taken cue's from other 3rd person shooters (Uncharted, Gears of War) and made something unique and different that I think works.

Blizzje

Does anyone know if the PS3 version save is copy restricted? Or will you be able to just back it up to a USB drive and play on a different PS3?

I was going to wait for reviews. Maybe pick it up on a sale! I've got a huge Steam backlog. No need to be hasty, right?

Then I saw the launch trailer... who am I kidding? I loved DS1 and DS2, so this was always going to be a no-brainer.

george_us

Damn the $20 credit plus the gameplay videos have me rethinking getting this. I was going to wait until it hit $30 but now I'm not so sure.

Lord Phol

I'm sad this isn't on steam :/, but I'm really looking forward to it! Might have to get it on PS3 though, not gonna touch Origin.

Plissken

Yeah, that was my initial response, but I'm going to give Codecow the benefit of the doubt. He most likely can't give a definitive answer, so stating that it's on a platform that allows DLC to be sold is good enough for me. BF3 on Origin sold the DLC expansion/maps/weapons, EA likes money, so I see no reason why they wouldn't sell DLC for Dead Space 3.

burgerdog

I can't believe they removed flashlight projected shadows from this game, or at least the demo doesn't have that feature in.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I can't believe they removed flashlight projected shadows from this game, or at least the demo doesn't have that feature in.

Did the console version of DS2 have them? I don't remember. I know for a fact that the pc version did so I'm hoping it has them in 3. Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to DS3, huge fan of both 1 and 2 and really hope that, regardless of the fact that virtually every news and pr piece surrounding the game has been met by nothing but backlash, the game turns out to be a polished entry in the DS franchise.

burgerdog

Did the console version of DS2 have them? I don't remember. I know for a fact that the pc version did so I'm hoping it has them in 3. Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to DS3, huge fan of both 1 and 2 and really hope that, regardless of the fact that virtually every news and pr piece surrounding the game has been met by nothing but backlash, the game turns out to be a polished entry in the DS franchise.

Pretty sure it's in DS1 / DS2 console versions. Can anybody else confirm? I've played the console demos for 1 / 2 and I remember them having flashlight projected shadows. I would check but I only have the pc versions.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pretty sure it's in DS1 / DS2 console versions. Can anybody else confirm? I've played the console demos for 1 / 2 and I remember them having flashlight projected shadows. I would check but I only have the pc versions.

Maybe they had to cut back on shadows in order to "up" certain other elements of the visuals. If that's the case then I sure as heeell hope they didn't arbitrarily remove it from the pc version ( with regards to the "pc version has no extra features" hooha )

the prophet stared at his crystal ball

Day 1.

Been on media blackout - I know there has been a lot of worry about DS3 (with good reason), but I'm giving Visceral the benefit of the doubt.

Still can't separate DS1 and DS2 in my affections!

codecow

Yes, they're still in there although they are area dependent. The second player (if he's there) will not cast shadows from his flashlight.

codecow

Yeah, that was my initial response, but I'm going to give Codecow the benefit of the doubt. He most likely can't give a definitive answer, so stating that it's on a platform that allows DLC to be sold is good enough for me. BF3 on Origin sold the DLC expansion/maps/weapons, EA likes money, so I see no reason why they wouldn't sell DLC for Dead Space 3.

I am a "code monkey" if you will, not a PR person, so you will never find me announcing anything on purpose. I will make vague statements that you can interpret how you'd like.

Top Bottom