• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Thinking about buying the first game through PSN to get the rest of the trophies for the game. Are saves originally created under the disc version going to be compatible with the PSN version? Just wondering before I bite the bullet.

The saves should be compatible. Trophies should be fine too since it's the same game, just digital vs disc.

Don't see on marketplace. Where the list?

Playstation Store update. http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-3-microtransaction-dlc-prices-revealed-243522.phtml

Huh, weird. Must have skimmed over it. Interesting nonetheless. We're sure it's story DLC?

At this point it's the only thing that makes sense in the context it was given. We already know about the graphic novel, so it isn't that. We'd have heard about a film or extended content at this point. The only thing that [for now] makes sense is story DLC. Whether it's something completely separate like Severed, or adds to DS3 itself is probably the big question.

Well I feel like an idiot. I was going through the dev blogs from December and one specifically mentions that there would be lore (obviously logs) exclusive to the co-op missions.

Humbug.

antitrop

I previously mentioned that the eyeball machine was the greatest moment of the generation, to me.

I would also like to praise the opening of Dead Space 2, as well. I would even put that as one of the best moments of the generation. The game just totally starts off in high gear and grabs you from the first minute of the game. I was enthralled.

Honestly, it's so rare for a game to grab you as soon as you leave the main menu. You have to do so many boring tutorials or all that, it works for some games, but it's just so damn refreshing to come across a game once in a while that starts off with a slap to the face and a kick to the junk and says "get going!". So good.

I previously mentioned that the eyeball machine was the greatest moment of the generation, to me.

I would also like to praise the opening of Dead Space 2, as well. I would even put that as one of the best moments of the generation. The game just totally starts off in high gear and grabs you from the first minute of the game. I was enthralled.

Honestly, it's so rare for a game to grab you as soon as you leave the main menu. You have to do so many boring tutorials or all that, it works for some games, but it's just so damn refreshing to come across a game once in a while that starts off with a slap to the face and a kick to the junk and says "get going!". So good.
YES! Loved that so much. Visceral did fantastic with that.

supernatural_confusedbdy5p.gif

Wrong thread?

Is it possible to mix and match the additional game modes? So we could have, say, a permadeath mode where enemies only drop crafting resources?

What is this Bot, people talking about? Any pic?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki...p.jpg/200px-Dead_space_3_spider_bot_persp.jpg

I tried looking up the walkthrough/demo featuring the Twitchers, as that shows the scavenger bot in action, but no such luck. Must have been a closed demo that someone leaked.

You press up on the D-Pad and a you'll hold up the bot as a radar, and it will ping nearby resources. You deploy the bot and it collects the resource and returns to the bench when finished. The rations it finds can be redeemed for resource packs at the bench (the microtransactions that otherwise people pay $0.99 for).

Be aware that the bot can be destroyed (from what I have seen, things were chaotic), so it's best to clear the area first before letting it do its business.

No, save files are not compatible between retail and digital versions of the game.

Seriously? Little Big Planet worked and a coworker did fine with Infamous 2 (?). How do the save files get locked across the same game across digital to disk?

Replicant

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki...p.jpg/200px-Dead_space_3_spider_bot_persp.jpg

I tried looking up the walkthrough/demo featuring the Twitchers, as that shows the scavenger bot in action, but no such luck. Must have been a closed demo that someone leaked.

You press up on the D-Pad and a you'll hold up the bot as a radar, and it will ping nearby resources. You deploy the bot and it collects the resource and returns to the bench when finished. The rations it finds can be redeemed for resource packs at the bench (the microtransactions that otherwise people pay $0.99 for).

But if it returns to the bench, what happens if you move to the next area? Doesn't that mean it won't be available to scan the new area? Why doesn't it come back to you instead?

But if it returns to the bench, what happens if you move to the next area? Doesn't that mean it won't be available to scan the new area? Why doesn't it come back to you instead?

Remember that the benches act like a safe now, so all you have to do is just go to any bench and you'll get your bot back and the resources. I don't remember how long the scan takes to complete for the bot to be available again. All of that was discussed in the video I tried locating.

It's a way to sort of "fire-and-forget" so you can move on for a bit, and then collect everything at the next bench you reach. Again though, you had better make sure you don't spawn anything else in the area or fire at your little buddy, or you'll have to wait until you find a new one.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I don't really get the purpose of it. Scavenging for ammo and credits never took too long. It was actually an aspect I enjoyed, as it pushed you to explore every environment thoroughly.

My experience won't be lessened by it's inclusion, so I'm not too concerned about it. I just don't understand why anyone would want to rush through the game like that. Unless there are items exclusively available to the scavenger bot, it seems like a pointless addition.

I don't really get the purpose of it. Scavenging for ammo and credits never took too long. It was actually an aspect I enjoyed, as it pushed you to explore every environment thoroughly.

My experience won't be lessened by it's inclusion, so I'm not too concerned about it. I just don't understand why anyone would want to rush through the game like that. Unless there are items exclusively available to the scavenger bot, it seems like a pointless addition.

It's just another option and a way to safety net if you spend a bit too copiously. Plus it does take several minutes for the bot to do it's job, so it's more "padding" than "speeding".

Pure Survival is where it's going to be a near necessity though.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director

The idea of the opening, besides just being exciting, was to give you memorable, detailed, up close versions of what would later become common occurances. For instance, you're going to see a lot of Necros and some transformations in that game. We wanted to sear one in your memory first, so the future ones inherit some of that energy.

Same idea behind the decompression later in level 1. The memory of it hopefully makes the later ones more vivid.

It's also gratifying to hear you complain about "so many tutorials" in other games, because DS2's 1st level is crammed with tutorials. Running! health packs! TK! Dismemberment! Stasis! Store/air! Nearly every room in there is designed as a tutorial.

Those moments were fantastic but my favorite moment had to be the "You owe me an eye, you bastard" line.

I managed to save the first 30 min. of the stream. Maybe I could Dbox it for people who are interested, but I think EA doesn't want it because the stream archive has been deleted as well ;)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Calling it :

Retromode is like hardcore mode, exceeeeept.... NO SAVES.

Haha, all my ridiculous theories involving 8-bit necromorphs and it's probably going to be as simple as that. Which is extremely clever. And fucking evil.

There's no way I can play a game for 15-17 hours straight, if reports of the length are true. My old 360 would go nuclear.

Minamu

Hardcore uses auto saves so it's possible to quit the game without losing progress. Unless you die. I doubt no saves is what retro mode is. But maybe.

Moff

I know demo feedback was not that good, but I didnt really read anything. I think dead spaces are enjoyed best witthout any prior knowledge. part 1 was a huge surprise hit back at relese. part 2 was already kind of different and I am looking forward to the third installment, no matter what.

is there a digital release on origin?

Have Visceral said anything about DS1 and DS2 saves unlocking something for Dead Space 3? (like the original plasma cutter model unlocked by having a DS1 save)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have Visceral said anything about DS1 and DS2 saves unlocking something for Dead Space 3? (like the original plasma cutter model unlocked by having a DS1 save)

DS1 save unlocked DS1 style plasma cutter in DS2. I'd imagine there's atleast that. Plus we know that the ME3 costume unlocks, probably by reading a ME3 save on your pc/console.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm guessing after what happened in DS2, that EarthGov troops are gonna be a primary enemy.

Did Visceral add a "get into cover" button?

Or a dodge roll?

They have said you get something for beating hardcore in DS2, and maybe having played DS2 in general. Not exactly awake enough to remember.

I do know one of the unlockables though. The Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter, which is a souped up Plasma Cutter with the rotation cuff (or w/e it's called, basically the good ol' Plasma Cutter from the past games). You can access your unlocks fairly close to the start.

codecow

They have said you get something for beating hardcore in DS2, and maybe having played DS2 in general. Not exactly awake enough to remember.

I do know one of the unlockables though. The Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter, which is a souped up Plasma Cutter with the rotation cuff (or w/e it's called, basically the good ol' Plasma Cutter from the past games). You can access your unlocks fairly close to the start.

As saves go, you get something for:

Dead Space 2 save
Mass Effect 3 save - N7 suit, already announced

Top Bottom