• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 producer "would redo it almost completely"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dead Space 3 writer and co-producer Chuck Beaver says he would "redo Dead Space 3 almost completely" if given the chance.

That's according to an interview Beaver gave with the CaptainBribo podcast, in which he said that while he would "keep the lore beat it's predicated on", and "keep the lore you find out", he would "have Ellie there but in a different relationship [with Isaac] and redo the entire main story".

As transcribed by PCGN, Beaver talks with Bribo about how, if able to rewrite the third instalment of the terrifying sci-fi horror series, he would ensure the story focussed more tightly on protagonist Isaac Clarke, albeit retaining the co-op mechanic to illustrate how the two characters see the same things differently.

Interestingly, Beaver says the team wasn't "allowed to make a horror game from the beginning", so "the plan [with Dead Space 3] was that we'd expand into other gameplay genres".

However, "all those bits together not only didn't generate a new audience, they lost the old audience", too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The only mildly interesting thing they did was a side mission where if you where in coop you saw different shit. My friend was freaking out and I had no idea why, until he told me nutcracker statues kept appearing and he was getting jump scared.

But yes overall the entire game sucked and the ending was just... well once you have jumped the shark that much there's no return, you have written yourself into a corner essentially.

EA effectively forced the game to be bad so they could monetise it with the crafting system.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Even if this is impossible, they should at least release the storyboarding/script of whatever the game was going to be before the interference happened, like what the Final Fantasy X dev did with FFX-3.

ZoukGalaxy

Kinda agree, I wish they could redo it with the original team to get the original vision and, by the way, the original Isaac and Hammond models. Not the crappy ginger clown tech they put in DS1 remake and the "I just left school but I'm in total charge of everything" Hammond.

I can't wait to see EA dies, but I may die before.

violence

I had heard EA felt the game was too scary to reach a wide audience. Seems to fit with the “wasn't allowed to make a horror game from the beginning"

K' Dash

That whole section before the ship crashes in Tau Volantis is awesome. The rest… not so much.

It’s the only DS that I have never replayed.

Drizzlehell

Banned
no-shit-total-recall.gif

Although that game isn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. I still liked the entire first act and the rest of the game had a pretty cool The Thing... thing going on. It's a decent enough horror shooter that expands the lore of that universe in interesting ways. I also like the overall apocalyptic atmosphere of the story. There was some good shit in there. But yeah, EA just EA'd it up with their bullshit mandates for MTX, dumbed down and action-oriented story, DLC ending, etc. and that's what generally sucked about it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Having them say they toned down the dark tones and focus on co-op, killed it. That’s what Dead Space does best. What community says the series needed less gore/horror themes? Dead Space didn’t do well by doing what Lost Planet did. The formula was written with the first two games.

I do wish they’d redo 3 and make something from the ending we got with the DLC.

What does it mean? Is this just empty words and fake hype? Tell those rich investors to read these articles and posts about it. It was crap, so fix it.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
They had such a good game and lore going for them with 1 and 2 to be a continuing multimedia franchise and then someone at EA just decided to shit the bed and kill it with 3.

Trying to make it more of an action series was a monumentally stupid decision both for gaming and a business perspective.

Sauce on X-3
Click the spoiler, I don't want to flood a Dead Space thread with concepts of another game.

Once you click the link, scroll down. Here's the JP to FR to EN translated writing that the article mentions(Price of Eternity/Eien no Daishō):

(Yes I know this is an ancient forum link but this is what everyone links to for the english translation since there's no english book)

There are also audiobook versions of the writing on youtube, for example:

And here's some concept art too(titled 'The Later Years'):

z7C70r9EAVd1S7J91KquVV7CdcN1esCJQwuJzDU_6Es.jpg

E6PI8shWEAEMfC3.jpg

The fanbase of FFX has been torn for years about what I put in the spoiler. Regardless I still want whatever is out there of original Dead Space 3, no matter how good or bad the concept might be. It's always interesting stuff to look at.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I still cant believe they put stupid love triangle in the story and turn Isaac in to jealous ex boyfriend.....what the fuck were they thinking?
We can agree on this. I hated that shit. They went through a lot together in 2 and to see what they did to that relationship in 3, it's just very a asinine decision.
The hilarious part, is that you go through a bunch of stuff for her, just to find out they cucked, Isaac. Did him dirtier than 50 pound wet diaper, after a heaping bowl of motts applesauce.

Gojiira

If they redo it, keep the ship graveyard and just make every derelict 100% unique. That part was sooooo atmospheric, and the idea of exploring dead ships is a great concept. The rest yeah redo from scratch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After Dead Space 2 Remake.
They should make Dead Space 3.....and just call it Dead Space 3, and fix everything that was wrong with that game.
I was so disappointed coming off Dead Space and Dead Space 2.....i finished it for sake of it, but honestly wasnt feeling it my whole playthrough, and I most certainly wasnt going to co-op that shit.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I still cant believe they put stupid love triangle in the story and turn Isaac in to jealous ex boyfriend.....what the fuck were they thinking?
They did that?! Between the demo and online opinion and stayed well away, so I had no idea.

Interestingly, Beaver says the team wasn't "allowed to make a horror game from the beginning", so "the plan [with Dead Space 3] was that we'd expand into other gameplay genres".

However, "all those bits together not only didn't generate a new audience, they lost the old audience", too.
If that's true, that's astoundingly bad. I hope someone got fired over that monumentally bad decision, because that was never going to go any other way. Stevie Wonder in a coal mine during an eclipse could have seen that coming a mile off.

BigLee74

I don’t understand the hate. Loved it just as I loved the first two!

It’s not like it was completely different - it looked like Dead Space and played like Dead Space. It just mixed up the tight claustrophobic areas with some larger space areas.

Krieger

Don't need to redo everything. The destroyed fleet of spaceships as a setting for 1/3 of the game was good and they could turn that into the whole setting of a potential DS3 Remake. The side missions where you get a look into how the soldiers slowly turned crazy and into cannibals was also a good idea. Or one of the final side missions where you are hunted by a dozen Ubermorphs and your only option is to run from them.

Hudo

Then please do it. Dead Space remake was pretty good (Did anyone expect EA to dunk on Callisto Protocol? Crazy timeline we live in).

MonkD

I don’t understand the hate. Loved it just as I loved the first two!

It’s not like it was completely different - it looked like Dead Space and played like Dead Space. It just mixed up the tight claustrophobic areas with some larger space areas.
Same. Don't remember any part of the game that felt too much like something other than Dead Space. I feel like there wasn't more than two segments where you fought humans, which I guess is the biggest turn off for people.

Loved the DLC epilogue

I think the worst elements of Dead Space 3 were actually locking elements of the story behind the co-op, and the poor crafting system. It's not just the MTX that made the crafting bad. You could get plenty of resources just sending out drones in-game and not having to mess with those. But having to custom craft weapons wasn't all that fun. And once you found the secret to making a weapon that was basically the ultimate answer to anything you had to fight, there just wasn't much else worth doing in that department. The switch to the universal ammo system relieved all the tension as you were never forced to switch to different weapons you weren't as comfortable with or that weren't as leveled. I think the ammo system broke more tension than any other changes to the game. Add into all of this the very divisive reveal at the end of the game that people seem to be divided between thinking is brilliant or weapons-grade stupid, and you just end up with a third core entry that didn't measure up. The fact that EA expected it to sell 5 million copies back in 2013 is pretty sad, especially coming off of the disaster that was Resident Evil 6 a few months prior.

Reaseru

For me, what "killed" the franchise was the Awakened DLC, specially story wise. I didn't disliked the third game per se, but it was obvious Visceral abandoned the horror aspect to focus on action and co-op gimmicks that plagued some games at that time.

EA has a clear record for almost killing great franchises by imposing to the developers the whatever feature that is popular at a given time.

I hope they keep at least the original premises from the original games in the potencial remakes of 2 and 3. I really liked the Brethren Moons concept...except the idea behind the DLC.

Shakka43

So much drama the game was ok.
It was ok indeed but the first 2 games weren't just ok, they were fantastic. I personally enjoyed the game and the co-op mode was fun but hated the create your own weapons stuff, it cheapened the gunplay a lot.

SCB3

I'm one of the few that seem to actually like 3, its fine and ignoring the MTX it ends up[ being a decent CoOp shooter,

I would however welcome a remake of it completely, especially incorporating the DLC which was the actual ending of the game

The idea was sound. 2 seperate characters experiencing the same scene differently.. Could have some awesome gameplay implications.

But the way it was implemented, and I don't think it was done poorly, it's just that DS3 itself was very obviously a design-by-numbers game and had none of the soul or character of the first 2 games. It's not an outright bad game, it's a decent enough co-op shooter, but it's not a great Dead Space game, or at least comparatively to the first two. Bummer that it's just another franchise on the long list of franchises that E.A. has ruined.

I will say though, I hope that the remake did well enough that E.A. is rethinking the franchise and direction to take it moving further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom