• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

ds3_horrorffk28.jpg

Pretty sure I'd have gone with "fuck Unitology". It's only 4 more letters and it tells you whom to blame.

i-82HpGWR-950x10000.jpg

Fucking LOL

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
He really is. I have to say I really liked Ben Templesmith's work on the original graphic novel and motion comic though. I have trouble seeing what's happening in Shy's work for some reason.

Christopher is also crazy fast. The fastest artist I've ever worked with. I've seen him deliver 10 pages in a day!

Zeliard

Another mode is Pure Survival Mode. If you like survival horror and resource management, this is the mode for you. Enemies ONLY drop resources, and there’s no ammo, health, or weapon parts to be found.

Oh, I like this.

RoKKeR

"Finally, we have the aptly-named Hardcore Mode. Choose this mode, and you only get one life to live for the entire campaign."
2z4corl.gif
Yeah, holy shit. So...without save stations now it is "one and done?" Fuck up once and it's all over?

100% achievement completion is laughing in my face.

EDIT: All of the unlockable modes sound hard as hell. Pure Survival Mode sounds like ammo hell. I'm looking forward to what strategies people will develop for the various modes. There's going to be a lot of thinking/planning involved.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the demo, but I find the DS lore really interesting so I'll probably pick this up day 1. Should be interesting to see if there's any form of conclusion in this installment.

Lots of good info here, thanks for the link.

We did have a lot of that info released from Playstation Lifestyle (unlockable modes), the twitcher demo, and through some of the Visceral team members on here and Reddit (thank you! codecow and Monkey Pants rock.), but this is the first time it's all been in one place and gone into a great amount of detail.

Before I forget [again], fantastic job with the OT. Thank you for keeping it neutral/positive.

Yeah, holy shit. So...without save stations now it is "one and done?" Fuck up once and it's all over?

100% achievement completion is laughing in my face.

EDIT: All of the unlockable modes sound hard as hell. Pure Survival Mode sounds like ammo hell. I'm looking forward to what strategies people will develop for the various modes. There's going to be a lot of thinking/planning involved.

The game auto saves just like a normal playthrough, so at least this time there isn't a need to pre-plan half a day of trying to reach a single save point. The trade-off is yes, you die and you're done as it wipes your save data for that run.

For Pure Survival, best way to go through is be familiar with the upgrades and have a set pair of weapons you want to go through the game with. The less resources you spend on experimenting on weapons, the more you have for ammo, health, upgrades, and stasis.

Luckily, the crafting experiment room in the demo will be in the final product, so you can play around there with no repercussions to your playthroughs.

I just caught this beauty in the conclusion of the blog entry I linked to:

As you can see, we have a lot planned for you in DS3. And the team is hard at work on a top secret additional story that will be coming in a few weeks. We're not saying much, yet - but think "disturbing" to get your imaginations going.

Enjoy!

Not sure about this one, I think Ill wait until its really cheap and pick two up for myself and my brother.

He doesn't like scary games one bit so it could be a laugh.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'd love to see them continue the Lexine storyline through DLC as opposed to the main game. Her inclusion would be out of left field for those who haven't played the side content, but I'm sure the more dedicated fans would appreciate it.

Replicant

Not too keen on Lexine. I found her annoying on the side games/DLC that have been released thus far. Would rather see a new character.

Need more Ellie!

Yes, would rather play her side of the story while she's separated from Isaac.

gdt

Need more Ellie!

One of my favorite game moments ever was the fake out ending to DS2. Where Isaac saves the day and just sits down to relax and wait for his death. Just a perfect summation of the character and his journey up to that point.

I can't wait to play this game for the sound alone. I'll rate this game compared to the others on how often I have to save and quit because I'm a pussy.

It took me a loooong time to finish DS1.

Batman

Banned
There are side missions you cannot start unless you're in co-op.

So that's where the missing logs, blueprints, weapon parts and text files are then. I was under the impression that they wouldn't force co-op on you in this game to complete it.

aegies

So that's where the missing logs, blueprints, weapon parts and text files are then. I was under the impression that they wouldn't force co-op on you in this game to complete it.

You can finish the game solo, but you can't get 100 percent completion without playing co-op in specific chapters.

Read that a few people have played the game and went through every part of each level and are missing important files.

That's interesting. I haven't had a chance to look at anything that has breached quarantine so maybe some things were added later on for some of those sections to encourage playing said mode. However, I do remember some logs slipping under the radar a few times and there were weird instances such as PENG.

Hopefully it isn't the case though.

Edit: Son of a..thanks aegies.

Seems the only viable way to play Hardcore Mode.

I am going solo with this game but I will be very surprised if you can't 100% the game on your own.

The game has been balanced for a single-player experience, but in co-op the enemy A.I.'s aggression is kicked up a notch and some of the puzzles are changed up to keep things a bit more balanced. You should also make sure you have a rather, um, attentive partner. Otherwise, you might be in a world of hurt and broken online friendships.

Mike M

Nick N
Even if it's strayed from its roots into a more action-centric game, picking it up regardless (Helps that it's free!). Easily my favorite IP this generation, I can't sit out a further installment in the lore.

Batman

Banned
That's interesting. I haven't had a chance to look at anything that has breached quarantine so maybe some things were added later on for some of those sections to encourage playing said mode. However, I do remember some logs slipping under the radar a few times and there were weird instances such as PENG.

Hopefully it isn't the case though.

Edit: Son of a..thanks aegies.

The game has been balanced for a single-player experience, but in co-op the enemy A.I.'s aggression is kicked up a notch and some of the puzzles are changed up to keep things a bit more balanced. You should also make sure you have a rather, um, attentive partner. Otherwise, you might be in a world of hurt and broken online friendships.

I don't think that's fair because not everybody has Xbox Gold and many don't want to play with somebody else to complete a game that they payed for, so if they forced you to play online to 100% the game that is not good at all.

I don't think that's fair because not everybody has Xbox Gold and many don't want to play with somebody else to complete a game that they payed for, so if they forced you to play online to 100% the game that is not good at all.

No, it isn't fair, and I'm disappointed as well. The co-op already is interesting enough with Carver and the unique gameplay on his end, as well as maybe being able to access bonus resources. It didn't need to force collectables in that manner.

Oh well, I'll live with it I guess. But it's a damn shame that content gets locked up in that manner.

You can finish the game solo, but you can't get 100 percent completion without playing co-op in specific chapters.

grumpycat-no.gif

WTF Visceral?

Pure Survival looks awesome and should hopefully pull my survival horror strings a bit.

Hardcore mode can probably be cheesed if you so desire, since the progression is checkpoint based. Just backup your save A LOT after every checkpoint :p

Batman

Banned
No, it isn't fair, and I'm disappointed as well. The co-op already is interesting enough with Carver and the unique gameplay on his end, as well as maybe being able to access bonus resources. It didn't need to force collectables in that manner.

Oh well, I'll live with it I guess. But it's a damn shame that content gets locked up in that manner.

It would have been at least better if you could play with AI Carver and you can still get every other item on your own but now I am unsure. Maybe codecow can explain all of this later.

Lucent

Added myself to the google spreadsheet. Getting the PS3 version. Can't wait to play this. I hope it's at least as long as the other two and changes up the environments and stuff.

I like the ideas they've come up with for co-op. It doesn't seem like it's just tacked on.

That's unfortunate. It's not a dealbreaker to me, I don't chase after 100%, but it would have been nice to have it so everything in co-op could have been collected in solo mode.

It would have been at least better if you could play with AI Carver and you can still get every other item on your own but now I am unsure. Maybe codecow can explain all of this later.

Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

I'd rather play the game solo and not get 100% then have to deal with an AI partner.

Batman

Banned
I really hope this is all not true because I don't want to play online with somebody else to platinum the game.

Top Bottom