• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Messi

Sejic was busy last night

F1KOnZs.jpg

ZA4RSGD.jpg

Messi

What, really?

Then what on earth does the contract do?

Rewards him and his wife for long term service. He says he will never leave them as it's his home. I specifically asked if he can still work on Harley annuals and he said yes. It's just that he has little interest in doing books he hasn't created.

Death Vigil is actually continuing?

Yup later this year. He is doing all his books as OGNs going forward. Much like Sunstone.

Well, yeah. That was the point. A few one-shots about the heroes with god powers. The GL and Shazam ones were pretty good.

Go back and read the Shazam and GL oneshots. Those're the good bits.

While they were a little better, these were a let down too for me.

The Shazam one-shot was gorgeous but it was written like a talk from one of those presenters who reads off a PowerPoint. Just a list of bullet points.

And I think John's GL run just put me off all lanterns. Not one of them (except maybe Gardner) seems like an interesting character.

Read a shit load over the last week or so. Too many to post all about.

Spider-books

Spider-man: Dropped
Spider-Woman: Sad to see it going, but love the way it's happening. Tying stuff together nicely.
ASM: Felt pretty meh about Clone Conspiracy, but the wrap up ASM handled it a lot better and felt less bogged down.

Iron People

Really liking both books surprisingly. I'm in it for as long as they're around as both really don't seem to me like they'd be around long.

DC

This was about the meh'ist of meh weeks. Nothing was really that bad, but nothing really was all that good either.

Nailbiter

Caught up on the last few issues in order to be up to date for the end coming up. It's weird that it feels rushed even though everything is set up pretty nicely. Interested in seeing how it goes out, as I feel it's going to need a lot of suspension of disbelief, but it's expected in something so campy and in the horror genre.

Ross61

Read a shit load over the last week or so. Too many to post all about.

Spider-books

Spider-man: Dropped
Spider-Woman: Sad to see it going, but love the way it's happening. Tying stuff together nicely.
ASM: Felt pretty meh about Clone Conspiracy, but the wrap up ASM handled it a lot better and felt less bogged down.

Iron People

Really liking both books surprisingly. I'm in it for as long as they're around as both really don't seem to me like they'd be around long.

DC

This was about the meh'ist of meh weeks. Nothing was really that bad, but nothing really was all that good either.

Nailbiter

Caught up on the last few issues in order to be up to date for the end coming up. It's weird that it feels rushed even though everything is set up pretty nicely. Interested in seeing how it goes out, as I feel it's going to need a lot of suspension of disbelief, but it's expected in something so campy and in the horror genre.

Kamandi Challenge, Flash, Teen Titans, Supergirl: Being Super, Suicide Squad, Detective Comics, and Deathstroke were all great last week. JLA was fine.

Kamandi Challenge, Flash, Teen Titans, Supergirl: Being Super, Suicide Squad, Detective Comics, and Deathstroke were all great last week. JLA was fine.

Ok, you just reminded me that I forgot the week. It feels like it was so long ago and I just forgot to post the thoughts.

Still need to read Super Girl though.

Deathstroke, Teen Titans and Batman Beyond were all great. I thought Flash felt unnecessarily rushed. I was loving the arc but then the end just seems so rushed and flat compared to the set up. Suicide Squad annoyed the hell out of me because JRJR's art is ass.

I think I spoke flippantly on them just because I forgot them.

Im so happy I finally have the time* and money to read the entire run of one of my top 2 DC characters.
17 years later, Jesus

the only perk of my unpaid medical leave

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quiet week. Hyped for Walking Dead

Big Trouble In Little China Escape From New York #6 (Of 6)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 2016 Annual #1
James Bond #1
Walking Dead #165

Green Arrow #18
Nightwing #16
Superman #18

Avengers #5
Clone Conspiracy Omega #1
Doctor Strange #18
Star Wars #29

dan2026

Im so happy I finally have the time* and money to read the entire run of one of my top 2 DC characters.
17 years later, Jesus

the only perk of my unpaid medical leave

I am so glad Cass is back from limbo and in the Bat-family again.

She should be Batgirl. She is so much better than Barbara its not even funny.
Barbara should be Oracle dammit. Her character only came into her own as Oracle and was diminished when they made her Batgirl again.

I am so glad Cass is back from limbo and in the Bat-family again.

She should be Batgirl. She is so much better than Barbara its not even funny.
Barbara should be Oracle dammit. Her character only came into her own as Oracle and was diminished when they made her Batgirl again.
She is my favorite Batgirl but I actually think she should have kept Black Bat for Rebirth.
And I was always 50/50 for Stephanie as Spoiler or Batgirl.

"Orphan" thing is stupid.

Edit: Holy shit at that reaction face in Ch3.

Edit: Superman Reborn, Star Trek, Logan and America sales on CMX. What's good in the Star Trek one aside from the GL crossovers?

TNG: The Gorn Crisis
TNG: Hive
Archives: Best of the Borg (features "The Worst of Both Worlds" which is fantastic)
Best of Peter David (he's the GOAT Trek writer outside TV IMO, I'd recommend New Frontier as well but you'd have to have read the books)

I like the old IDW Ongoing as well but the early ones are ROUGH because it runs on a "TOS episode but SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!" theme until after Into Darkness came out.

Messi

Tonight's new OT will be delayed a few hours due to creative differences. Have no fear. All will be well soon.

Comic thread creation

tumblr_mx3xzvkkme1rrkahjo6_250.gif

Dalek

Preview pages from Superman 18:
http://nerdist.com/the-truth-about-the-kents-begins-to-be-revealed-in-superman-18-exclusive-preview/

I can't wait-they better reveal Clark's identity tomorrow and not drag this out...

ha. now that I've had time to let it all sink in, I like it-I have more positive thoughts on it. But definitely a lot different in tone and pacing that Priest's run.
They're probably waiting until the issue with the bloody S Clark cover.
Dear God,
you forget how old something is and suddenly a purple suited Catwoman shows up...

Honestly Stephanie would have worked better for the current reboot hipster Batgirl.
But her run was enjoyable at the time despite me being very salty.
I'm happy it's getting reprinted by DC now.

Promotions:

DC COMICS

DC Entertainment has promoted Aria Moffley to the position of Vice President of Creative Affairs, reporting to DC's President/Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns.

“Aria is an unbelievably talented leader within my Creative Affairs team and her development expertise and vast knowledge of DC has been key to the success we’ve had with the Studio,” said Johns. “As DC’s slates continue to rapidly expand I’m excited to have Aria by my side developing even more DC projects.”

Moffly now oversees DC Enterainment's various properties in film, television, and animation, including its various live-action shows as well as the "DC Super Hero Girls" brand.

DARK HORSE

10-year Dark Horse veteran Chris Gaslin has been promoted to be the company's director of Product Development. Gaslin, who has worked since 2006 as part of the sales department and later a manager in Production Development, will now oversee project management, scheduling management, budgeting, sourcing, and new product creation.

“As Dark Horse’s product development efforts have grown and matured over the years, so has Chris Gaslin’s skill and expertise,” said David Scroggy, vice president of Product Development. “His successful supervision of important new collectible lines like The Witcher and Halo, as well as his leadership in the management and coordination of ongoing projects such as Game of Thrones, has been a big part of what keeps Dark Horse Deluxe out in front in the marketplace. These management skills extend to the intra- and interdepartmental workings as well. Chris keeps us looking ahead, and it is rewarding to see him take this step forward.”

UNBOUND

Titan Comics editor Lizzie Kaye has found a new position as Commissioning Editor of Unbound's new line of graphic novels.

“It is a very exciting moment in our development, we have now crowdfunded more than 150 books raising £3.2m in pledges from a community of over 100,000 people," said Unbound publisher John Mitchinson. "We are very pleased to be moving into this new field and are looking forward to Lizzie helping us grow further.”

“This is a great opportunity to give the talented creators of the graphic novel and comics community a platform where they can showcase how vibrant and diverse the medium can be," Kaye added. "We'll be able to show those new to this form of storytelling just how much it has to offer."

Cooke(RIP) got a memorial award.

Edit: Missed this.

Samplerman Doom Patrol variant:

ComicsAlliance are running bets on who "Clark Kent" is.

Bizarro – You’d think an imperfect duplicate of Superman would have a pretty easy time acting as a duplicate of Clark Kent, but the keyword here is “Duplicate.” Since he hasn’t been literally thrown out of the Planet by an irate Perry White, it’s safe to say that “Clark” hasn’t shown Bizarro’s traditionally poor grasp of grammar and verb conjugation. Still, it might am be elaborate hoax that everyone expect. 10 to 1

New 52 Superman – Remember when I said Superman apparently died? Well, we didn’t actually see it, and you know the rule about that. Casual Fridays Superman ended up being a solid take on the character, and since he spent so much time without his powers (and switching secret identities) in his five-year run, being a Secret Clark wouldn’t be out of character for him at all. 4 to 1

Mr. Mxyzptlk – The reality warping imp from the Fifth Dimension has gone to some pretty extreme lengths in the past to prank Superman — and occasionally to try to destroy him and everything he loves — and this wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen him disguise himself as Clark Kent and/or Superman for laughs. The thing is, after the battle against Vyndktvx, the 5th Dimension hasn’t been featured in a whole lot of stories, and bringing back Superman’s goofiest enemy for such a big reveal seems pretty unlikely. 12 to 1

The Eradicator – You know what’s been coming back from the ’90s in the Superman books? Everything! Doomsday! Post-Crisis Superman! Dan Jugerns! It’s a full-on invasion from the Death of Superman saga, and since the Eradicator fooled everyone before, it makes a lot of sense that he’d be able to fool them again. 3 to 1

Martian Manhunter – Shapeshifting, telepathy, and he hasn’t been seen much since the end of his last solo series — which, I remind you, was all about how he got his powers with Dark Martian Blood Magic. Compared to that, spending a year as Clark Kent seems pretty tame. 8 to 1

Magog – I hadn’t even considered this until DC brought it up, but y’all. For real. They love referencing Kingdom Come so much. 5 to 1

Superboy Prime – He’s not listed on the official list of candidates, but that doesn’t mean that they’re not just trying to swerve us with the big reveal. As you might remember, Superboy Prime was a huge villain in the previous version of the DC Universe, and hasn’t been seen for a while — and if they prison they locked him up in doesn’t exist anymore, who’s to say he’s not out there running free? Considering he looks just like Superman, is literally named Clark Kent, has an uncanny ability to survive reboots and is often motivated by what he sees as “fixing” complicated continuity, he’s not just a good candidate, he’s actually the most likely candidate. 2 to 1

The truth is, we here at ComicsAlliance actually know who it is already, but we’re not saying just yet. So place your bets, catch the start of “Superman Reborn,” and find out for sure right here at ComicsAlliance in the coming weeks!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So I've gotten obsessed with Persona 4 Golden and it has launched me into my umpteenth attempt to figure out if I like anime after all.

The results are in, and they're still "Eh, not really?".

I love the detailed backgrounds, I like a lot of the character design, but the sense of humor and the character types and the tropes tend to turn me off.

But this time I also tried to get into some manga. There are people here who are fans of My Hero Academia, right? I only read the first chapter, but it's cool so far. I love the term "Quirk" for powers, especially when 80% of the world has them.

I also tried reading Platinum End, because I liked Death Note, and I still find Ohba's obsessive over explaining of the rules of his magic systems to be endearing, though the idea that you'd pick from 1 of 13 suicidal people to be God is a bit of leap. Love the design of the angels, though.

^Check out Solanin my dude. Can't praise it enough. One single volume and it's fantastic.

I want to make a reading Club again.
Seriously.
How about Superior Foes of Spider-Man?
If there's serious interest I would be up for it. One of my favorite Marvel books and I actually haven't read my omni yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
^Check out Solanin my dude. Can't praise it enough. One single volume and it's fantastic.

If there's serious interest I would be up for it. One of my favorite Marvel books and I actually haven't read my omni yet.
I still have it in the shelf cause I saved it for GAF :/ Count me in.

I like My Hero Academia a lot, and I'm generally very picky when it comes to manga and anime. It's the first manga I've stuck with even though I find reading right-to-left pretty difficult after 25+ years of western comics.

So I've gotten obsessed with Persona 4 Golden and it has launched me into my umpteenth attempt to figure out if I like anime after all.

The results are in, and they're still "Eh, not really?".

I love the detailed backgrounds, I like a lot of the character design, but the sense of humor and the character types and the tropes tend to turn me off.

But this time I also tried to get into some manga. There are people here who are fans of My Hero Academia, right? I only read the first chapter, but it's cool so far. I love the term "Quirk" for powers, especially when 80% of the world has them.

I also tried reading Platinum End, because I liked Death Note, and I still find Ohba's obsessive over explaining of the rules of his magic systems to be endearing, though the idea that you'd pick from 1 of 13 suicidal people to be God is a bit of leap. Love the design of the angels, though.

Ah man, MHA is goooooood. Easily my favorite Shonen currently running. Definitely check out Eyeshield 21 at some point, and Full Metal Alchemist as well if you haven't already.

Fullmetal Alchemist is my favourite anime. Marathoned it like 10 years ago over Christmas holidays when there was still an anime channel on TV here. It was definitely the one that made me realise there was stuff out there I could enjoy anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My new favorite idea is Martian Manhunter. I don't think it's at all really possible but the idea of it would be pretty cool.

I still think it's some kind of weird 2 halves of the same person kind of thing.

Site seems to be affected by the amazon cloud stuff :(

EDIT: Never mind

That's cool they're putting out a couple of issues out in June of Descender to big up a turning point in the series. Felt the book really picked up with vol 2, looking forward to more. I kind of struggle to see where the lore can go thats original, but the character focused storytelling is compelling.

Top Bottom