• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Vanguard sales down 40% in UK

VulcanRaven

Sigh…do I really need to derail this thread further?

She’s not just woman, she’s middle aged/a bit older woman and as soon as someone on twitter notices some group or class of people is missing from media, bam, you’ll get a floodgates open soon. And what can possibly be percentage of that specific group of people playing home console video games. 0.5? Optimistic. And game’s main theme are mental health issues, without going further into spoilers. Do I really need that in my space sci-fi fantasy? Now I’m waiting for you to tell me how that’s not woke and you won’t get any more replies from me on that.
Why the main character can't be a middle aged woman? I don't understand what is the problem. I don't think they did it so they could get middle aged women to play games. Main characters don't need be like you.

Last edited:

Kerotan

It's a pretty good game and it actually has a good selection of maps day 1 compared to the last 2 games. If people are worried it has boring guns it doesn't.

But this is a funny take on how much the developers took liberties making guns that just don't exist in real life during WW2.

Exactly. It was never going to do as good as modern warfare or black ops which are the pillars of the franchise. This is a filler year before modern warfare 2 next year and black ops 2 the year after. It will still make a big profit so Activision won't mind too much.

I hate WW2 setting. Will never purchase this just for that reason. Stick to modern weapons. A fucking WW2 rifle with red dot sight will never not be hilarious to me. WTF were these people smoking.
I don't get this fucking shit of going to WW2 after every 2nd installment.

Fuck Off!

Last edited:
It’s really not a great game, game fly’d it for the campaign. Cold War is higher quality, doesn’t look like crap on next gen. Surprised this game exists, must have been an easy path.

TheAssist

Vanguard is what happens when you base your story not on actual events, history and the human element but on comic book stories.
Thats all this story is, a comic book fantasy that wants to be a movie but somehow got made into a game.

Look at the lead writers. They are young and grew up in a relatively peaceful America. They have nothing to draw from. They just write what they know and that happens to be American pop culture. Its how you get all these comic book movies and Star Wars overkill. Thats mostly what modern day US writers grew up on and draw inspiration from.
Before you had real life events influencing works of fiction and now it more and more switches to fictional work inspiring more fiction work. That doesnt have to be bad, it just doesnt work when you try to write a WW2 story based on actual history.

This way you end up with comic book nazis that try to establish the 4. Reich and a bunch of comic book like heroes trying to stop them. All of this would be fine in a fictional setting, but this is still WW2 and imho needs to be treated with some amount of respect. Yes we are still playing war from home, I get the hypocrisy, but a real war should no feel like a popcorn action flick. And the early CoD's surely didnt feel like that. I found them exhausting and somewhat eye opening.

Those number are not quite right

2020 (Black Ops Cold War):

130k physical (22%)
450k digital (78%)
580k total

2021 (Vanguard)

96k physical (28%)
252k digital (72%)
348k total

PS physical 67k
PS digital 131k
PS total 198k (66% digital)

XB physical 29k
XB digital 150k
XB total 179k (84% digital)
Either way, it's proof that Xbox skews digital and PS skews physical. Many people here doubted that. Feels good to be right :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

yazenov

Either way, it's proof that Xbox skews digital and PS skews physical. Many people here doubted that. Feels good to be right :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

57% of Call of Duty: Vanguard's launch sales came on PlayStation platforms

57% of sales on PS for an FPS where the UK is MS's second biggest market is not a good look for MS. Its total domination outside of UK (the rest of EU and Asia).

Also the drop of digital sales is much larger than physical sales. 26% for physical, compared to 44% for digital.

But but physical sales are irrelevant crowd told us otherwise...........

Last edited:
PC not included in Chris Dring's numbers. He replied to a user it's console split only.

If this is how COD Vanguard splits physical/digital in the UK... can the dumb physical UK threads be put to pasture lmao.

This pretty much proves what we've been saying from the start. The physical only numbers are bogus and misleading as a true representation of what's happening. I don't even care if it's a 80-20 split, but at least get such data from ALL the data or most of the data, not a tiny sliver of it.

yazenov

Those number are not quite right

2020 (Black Ops Cold War):

130k physical (22%)
450k digital (78%)
580k total

2021 (Vanguard)

96k physical (28%)
252k digital (72%)
348k total

PS physical 67k
PS digital 131k
PS total 198k (66% digital)

XB physical 29k
XB digital 150k
XB total 179k (84% digital)

How did you get the total xbox numbers if xbox is 43% of total sales? 43% of 348K = 149.64k .

Either you're right or my math is wrong?

Last edited:

reksveks

How did you get the total xbox numbers if xbox is 43% of total sales? 43% of 348K = 149.64k .

Either you're right or my math is wrong?
I think you are right, think the xbox digital number is up 29-30k incorrectly.

jMn2IVN.jpg

Using Chris's numbers, this is the percentages.

Last edited:
57% of sales on PS for an FPS where the UK is MS's second biggest market is not a good look for MS. Its total domination outside of UK (the rest of EU and Asia).

Also the drop of digital sales is much larger than physical sales. 26% for physical, compared to 44% for digital.

But but physical sales are irrelevant crowd told us otherwise...........
Playstation outsold Xbox something like 1.3:1, so the software numbers are looking roughly as you'd expect them to look. Either way, the "Gamepass kills sales" narrative is kinda dead.

Skifi28

Why the main character can't be a middle aged woman? I don't understand what is the problem. I don't think they did it so they could get middle aged women to play games. Main characters don't need be like you.
My mother and a bunch of aunts that don't know what video games are, immediately rushed out and bought a PS5 to play Returnal the moment they saw their age group represented. I think OP's right.

Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.

good! good! good! this news pleases me

The WW2 Schtick is tired as fuck now
This in a nutshell…..I dunno why they thought it was a good idea to go back to this and trip over the same woke shit ea and BFv tripped over 2 years ago

deathloop I don’t think had a woke tone to it at all….the main characters were black and that’s about it

DeepSpace5D

I don’t see any woke in Returnal unless you think a middle-aged female lead automatically qualifies anything as woke. As far as the story, mental illness/PTSD/delusional behavior fits right in with the horror/sci-fi elements. I don’t see how that would make something woke either.

tommib

I don’t see any woke in Returnal unless you think a middle-aged female lead automatically qualifies anything as woke. As far as the story, mental illness/PTSD/delusional behavior fits right in with the horror/sci-fi elements. I don’t see how that would make something woke either.
Silent Hill 2 was super woke with its themes of mental illness. And don’t get me started on SH3. It had that and a woman. Disgusting.

Last edited:
Playstation outsold Xbox something like 1.3:1, so the software numbers are looking roughly as you'd expect them to look. Either way, the "Gamepass kills sales" narrative is kinda dead.
But how would GP kill any CoD sales when it’s not on GP and never will be and everyone wants to play new CoD year after year?

Skifi28 Skifi28 I never said they are doing it (only) to increase sales from certain demo. They are doing it for pandering/having wider, more complicated agenda/brownie points etc. It’s what is in now. Having certain groups of people in roles you’ll never or almost never find them in real life. Like western women on the frontline under heavy fire or black British guy leading spec ops in 1940.

That’s why MW19 landed so strongly with Farah in a time when Kurdish women were actually fighting ISIS in ME. Perfect example of doing it right. It’s a best CoD to date by far.

Edder1

Anyone who says Vanguard isn't woke is either ignorant and naive or woke himself. Black man and independent strong woman leading super secretive special force in WWII? Lol, give me a break. Can't believe people are so blind as to not see the agenda.

As for sales, it's probably down to it looking extremely boring and unimaginative while there's Battlefield and Halo coming out. People buy woke games all the time these days so I doubt that was the reason for poor sales. There are too many simps in gaming community for woke AAA games to not sell just because they're woke.

Last edited:

Edder1

That’s why MW19 landed so strongly with Farah in a time when Kurdish women were actually fighting ISIS in ME. Perfect example of doing it right. It’s a best CoD to date by far.
Disagree. Farah was very much a token female character to score social points. Is it realistic for Kurdish women to fight? Yes. Is it realistic for them to lead ant be in charge? Not a chance, that's fantasy talk. This is no different than the likes of Vanguard using the fact that a small number of women participated in WWII and then portraying them as leaders and super soldiers. And they always portray these females in the same strong masculine manner without any touch of femininity. It's all played out and predictable at this point.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Recently there seems to be an influx of people defending woke. They shall be from here on referred to as 'woke knights'. They seem to be limbering up for some mental gymnastics everytime a AAA developer tried to appeal to the usual suspects on twitter by giving us that badass female lead with unnaturally colored dyed hair with a non symmetrical shave. Or everytime an out of place character is lovingly shoe horned in to a historical setting where they do not fit (its just a coincidence, we always planned one of each race to be selected, nothing to do with political correctness, you are reading into it too much you fragile whiteys!).

Did they migrate from the place that shall not be named? I like the fact we have different opinions on GAF so I welcome it.

Welcome Woke Knights, I salute you.

tommib

Recently there seems to be an influx of people defending woke. They shall be from here on referred to as 'woke knights'. They seem to be limbering up for some mental gymnastics everytime a AAA developer tried to appeal to the usual suspects on twitter by giving us that badass female lead with unnaturally colored dyed hair with a non symmetrical shave. Or everytime an out of place character is lovingly shoe horned in to a historical setting where they do not fit (its just a coincidence, we always planned one of each race to be selected, nothing to do with political correctness, you are reading into it too much you fragile whiteys!).

Did they migrate from the place that shall not be named? I like the fact we have different opinions on GAF so I welcome it.

Welcome Woke Knights, I salute you.
None of what you write applies to Returnal or Deathloop which was my initial question - why drag these titles with whatever bullshit Vanguard did to WWII.

EDMIX

Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.
? That really isn't a big deal....every year after some Black Ops title, the sales are down by a few % and yet they still move massive units, its in comparison to a popular Call Of Duty, its not some magical reveal that it failed lol

So we've seen bigger drops on games that moved massive units. I think you are simply looking for a narrative to force...

Nothing woke about Returnal or Deathloop OP. Stop being a ballsack.

CoD is just tired, and people are finally waking up to that.

I agree with the whole Returnal and Deathloop comment as I don't really get where people got any of that from, but I also don't think anyone is getting tired of Call Of Duty anytime soon by such figures.

This happens many times after a Black Ops or Modern warfare etc they move massive units, thus you'll see the following year the other title not sell as fast, but down 40% isn't even that big of a deal of a fucking series that moves like 20 to 30 million lol

They'll be just fine and I don't see this as a "people are finally waking up"...they fucking like Call Of Duty, its not a trick, its not a cult, its not some brainwashing thing etc, they simply like a series you and I don't lol In this situation, they favor the current war and future stuff so I'm not shocked at the dip, but I don't see the dip as some awakening of sorts. Historically, this is kinda the norm.

Unfortunately the game sucks, but yes, there was a lot more excitement for 2042 than Vanguard.

Its very, very hard to say. BF 2042 is a day 1 for me as I don't really play the COD series anymore, but I don't know if I'd ever bet on any BF being more hype then a Call Of Duty.

I may like one more then the other, but clearly we know the majority simply doesn't favor BF vs COD.

kingfey kingfey Agreed. I believe this is more of a setting thing then "woke". Call Of Duty fans care more for futuristic, modern, scifi, alt universe etc

I think people who love arguing about this shit simply want to find ANYTHING to be like "itz cAusE it wAz WOKE" lol I've heard several arguments, i heard one that was like its woke to move more units, then I heard its woke and it won't sell units cause its woke lol

IF it moves lots of units, its cause it was a game that was woke and by the numbers and FORCED diversity to get the sales, if it flops its cause it was woke and they wanted to woke so bad, they didn't care about da fanz lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I do believe the correct numbers are these… not sure about others being posted.

Retail: ~96.2k
- PS5: ~39.5k
- PS4: ~27.9k
- XB1: ~18.3k
- Series: ~10.6k

Digital: ~244.2k
- PS: ~126.6k
- Xbox: ~117.6k

Total: ~340.4k
- PS: ~194k
- Xbox: ~146.4k

PS. OP blaming woke has no ideia of what he is talking about lol

Last edited:

NikuNashi

None of what you write applies to Returnal or Deathloop which was my initial question - why drag these titles with whatever bullshit Vanguard did to WWII.
Ok being serious, I've not played Deathloop so cannot comment on that, however for Returnal, the main protagonist is a very ugly character model, average, manly haircut, constantly frowning or angry looking and generally an unlikable and personality devoid protagonist. My question is 10 years ago before woke awoke, would this character look like this, I don't think so.

I don't care about age, you can have old protagonists, however they must have some appeal somewhere. You can also have strong female protagonists who look believable when fighting aliens, Sigourney Weaver did it in 1979, however she was attractive and had a persona.

But EDMIX EDMIX , dip already happened with BO CW compared to MW ‘19 (you tell me how much) and now another 40% (at least in UK but it’s a good indicator). You can’t just brush this off. It’s not curtains for CoD but this can’t be just nothing to see here folks. Next MW being fantastic is not guarantee. I heard it’s gonna revolve around cartels and drugs, I do like the sound of that.

tommib

Ok being serious, I've not played Deathloop so cannot comment on that, however for Returnal, the main protagonist is a very ugly character model, average, manly haircut, constantly frowning or angry looking and generally an unlikable and personality devoid protagonist. My question is 10 years ago before woke awoke, would this character look like this, I don't think so.

I don't care about age, you can have old protagonists, however they must have some appeal somewhere. You can also have strong female protagonists who look believable when fighting aliens, Sigourney Weaver did it in 1979, however she was attractive and had a persona.
We’ve been down this road before:

Christina-Koch-of-NASA_NASA_Beth-Weissinger_resized.jpg

karen-l-nyberg-all-people-photo-1

160404_NASA_MARS_ROVER_0073_e3pdlx.jpg

jsc2013e076631.jpg

FStubbs

So basically if a MC isn't a white male it's woke? Returnal features a woman so it's woke...

It's a niche game made with a small budget which has already turned a profit. I doubt it s a flop.

There's real shit that's being ruined by wokeness, not everything is.
Basically, though from what I can tell these things also make a game woke:

More than 1 non-white/straight side character
Any theme involving inequality (the elves think they're better, that makes the game woke)
The development team not being all white men (especially if the lead developer/director is not a white man)
Marketing a "hardcore" game to someone other than white men

So to OP "woke" means having women or people of color in it? Eh. You're diluting the term to meaninglessness.

Returnal and Deathloop did poorly because they appeal to nice genres (roguelike) and weren't particularly amazing in any single way.
Yes, that's what "woke" always meant to people like the OP.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
PC not included in Chris Dring's numbers. He replied to a user it's console split only.

If this is how COD Vanguard splits physical/digital in the UK... can the dumb physical UK threads be put to pasture lmao.

knowing that digital sales of Xbox are the bigger of all platforms ...will ruin every other UK physical sales thread ahahah

elliot5

knowing that digital sales of Xbox are the bigger of all platforms ...will ruin every other UK physical sales thread ahahah
That's been known for a while and yet it is straight up ignored for "70% of UK box sales were on PS!" threads as if it means anything at all lol. Like PS is bigger in the UK, but it's a silly data point to point to as some sort of commanding lead in The Console Wars™️

NikuNashi

We’ve been down this road before:

Christina-Koch-of-NASA_NASA_Beth-Weissinger_resized.jpg

karen-l-nyberg-all-people-photo-1

160404_NASA_MARS_ROVER_0073_e3pdlx.jpg

jsc2013e076631.jpg
These are random pictures of astronauts, not protagonists that have been carefully created by a committee of artists and designers and have had their personalities carefully written by script writers in order to appeal to the potential purchasers and players of a product.

EDMIX

I think it's kind of funny that you didn't really see what you just did there.

Many people don't believe Sigourney Weaver is pretty in fact you could look it up and many people think this person is pretty ugly bear in mind I don't disagree with your opinion because it's one that I share myself but the point that I'm making is that you can't really make an argument that they are objectively doing some bizarre agenda based on a subjective View

For example it would be like me taking a bite into Doritos and telling you it tastes great so I must understand that their goal was to make it taste great...

And then someone else tries the same Doritos and then tells us it tastes like complete nasty horrid shit so it's clear they have an agenda to make people eat trash why would they want to destroy the chips like this? It's almost as if someone's trying to make the company fail omg, do you not see how weird it starts to turn when you try to force a subjective view into a policy or try to make it sound as if the objective of the company was to make you not like something simply because you happen to not like something?

The goal is to get as much people to enjoy the game and buy it, the goal was not to get 100% of all people to make a purchase no matter what or something really weird like this it's completely understood some people will like something and some people may not, so I don't really get this idea as an artist myself that there's this goal for us to create a character in which no one fucking has a problem with, this sounds completely absurd and ridiculous no one can create a character in which every single last person fucking objectively likes and agrees with.

By default the thing I do is something that is subjective as in it is subject to differ from person to person everyone will not agree...

So if you make Sigourney Weaver verbatim today in a video game and let's say aliens never existed and it was just a brand new IP you are going to get a lot of the same people arguing that there's some secret agenda or asking why they made the character ugly completely disregarding their opinion is simply a subjective view, it's not an objective secret policy...

So sir, not every fucking character is made to appeal to the exact demographic of the character, you fucking telling me cyborgs are real? Activision out here trying to pander to the fucking marsupial demographic with Crash? lol They made a character cause they like it, thats it. Its not that big of a deal to then pretend YOU not liking how they look was based on a policy or agenda or objective to hurt you or some weird shit like that. I don't like how all characters look like bud, neither do you, but I don't fucking go around pretending it MUST be cause they are trying to pander to or appeal to said demographic . Nintendo out here trying to get more fucking raccoon sales?

il_570xN.1930825900_oxj2.jpg

But EDMIX EDMIX , dip already happened with BO CW compared to MW ‘19 (you tell me how much) and now another 40% (at least in UK but it’s a good indicator). You can’t just brush this off. It’s not curtains for CoD but this can’t be just nothing to see here folks. Next MW being fantastic is not guarantee. I heard it’s gonna revolve around cartels and drugs, I do like the sound of that.

I can easily brush this off sir, it happens all the time and those games still do massive numbers. You want this to be more then what it is to argue some narrative......thats it. Nothing unique or different is really happening here. Every time someone fucking sees some dip here and there they make it sound like "OH BOY, its happening folks they finally seeing da light" and ohhhh shit it was nothing, game moved 20 million, better luck next year lol

I don't care for COD, I don't buy the series any longer, but I don't see any point in pretending this means much when you can literally look up several COD where such dips happen and they still move massive units man. The series has always been that way as they have favorite eras, settings, wars etc.

I see nothing here that suggest its cause it was "WOKE" and I see nothing here suggesting its the beginning of da end lol

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
That's been known for a while and yet it is straight up ignored for "70% of UK box sales were on PS!" threads as if it means anything at all lol. Like PS is bigger in the UK, but it's a silly data point to point to as some sort of commanding lead in The Console Wars™️
i been saying that in every thread ...."this data mean close to nothing about final figures". but you know ...fanboyism

Top Bottom