• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Vanguard sales down 40% in UK

Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good game and it actually has a good selection of maps day 1 compared to the last 2 games. If people are worried it has boring guns it doesn't.

But this is a funny take on how much the developers took liberties making guns that just don't exist in real life during WW2.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Still raking it in, maybe at least next year they might start putting a bit more effort in. Stopped playing COD years ago so no difference to me but this years looks really bad.

DrCheese

Wokeness may have come into it a bit (You know it's... bizzaroworld when even Kotaku slag it off for being overly woke) but I suspect the biggest reason is that it's yet another WW2 game. Gamers have had *years* of decent WW2 games to play through & there's only so many times you can keep playing the same setting without it becoming so mindlessly dumb.

Ooops 😬

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.

stone cold GIF

elliot5

Literally nobody cares about the "wokeness" in COD. I can't wait for this phrase to die out.

It had a rough beta impression, people care more about warzone itself which is free, and WW2 isn't as exciting as Cold War or MW. The zombies mode is watered down.

Sales may be down but once Pacific warzone launches it'll probably hit near record highs in warzone.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Woke is how the world likes it now, but lets talk about the fun multiplayer, bringing in different allies for a campaign. Nazi's trying to overwhelm you. The battle of midway. WW2 is going on 90 years old, and has many teachable moments. When you lose those moments like they did with black ops, than you'll see sales down.

Chukhopops

Deathloop is an interesting case because it had rave reviews and still sold half of Prey on Steam (which itself wasn’t a roaring success and sold half of Dishonored 2). It also had pretty much zero word of mouth after release. I didn’t play it so I can’t say much about it. It could be that having a black MC actually played a role in the flop.

But I bought and played Returnal and all I can say is I really regret it, nothing to do with it being woke though.

Deathloop is an interesting case because it had rave reviews and still sold half of Prey on Steam (which itself wasn’t a roaring success and sold half of Dishonored 2). It also had pretty much zero word of mouth after release. I didn’t play it so I can’t say much about it. It could be that having a black MC actually played a role in the flop.

But I bought and played Returnal and all I can say is I really regret it, nothing to do with it being woke though.
Returnal is one of the best gameplay experiences I had in the last 5 years but sure, you can have your opinion. It is still very woke. And reading different forums after release, very very few people complained about anything else except difficulty and no save situation.

Leyasu

Banned
WW2 setting, people waiting for battlefield/halo. Could be anything. I wouldn't write off COD yet though

Calverz

I personally love it. I’m not bothered about campaign. Who the fuck plays cod nowadays for a good single player story anyway. It’s all about multiplayer. That’s it. And this is great.

No worries, I know people, especially you in US right now, need to pretend there’s nothing woke about it. I understand.

Also true, WWII setting certainly didn’t help Vanguard.
So basically if a MC isn't a white male it's woke? Returnal features a woman so it's woke...

It's a niche game made with a small budget which has already turned a profit. I doubt it s a flop.

There's real shit that's being ruined by wokeness, not everything is.

DaGwaphics

I think when the WZ F2P was established it limited the appeal of future paid installments, at least from the multi-player perspective. Probably why the focus seems to be returning to the campaign in the latest versions.

Chukhopops

Returnal is one of the best gameplay experiences I had in the last 5 years but sure, you can have your opinion. It is still very woke. And reading different forums after release, very very few people complained about anything else except difficulty and no save situation.
So you think it flopped just because the MC is an old woman? I’m not sure I get your point to be honest, what was woke about Returnal anyway? Just a woman being an astronaut?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ooops 😬

I mean, the game's trash and Warzone is absolutely eating it's own babies right now. Very few wanted WWII to begin with. Add to it the clearly less-than-infinityward quality and there you have it.

Stuart360

Nothing to do with woke in this case. People are just fatigued from WW2 and somewhat with CoD in general. I honestly think the constant annual changes are tiring out a lot of the fanbase.
I actually dont agree with the WW2 thing. In fact it was the long time fans moaning about wanting to go back to WW2 that made them make COD:WWII after people were getting tired of all the futuristic COD's.

For me i just think people are more into Warzone now, and people are mostly waiting for the new Warzone map. Warzone continues to make literally tens of millons in revenue per month. I mean look at how many big streamers are saying standard multiplayer is old news now.

Last edited:

Bridges

The Modern Warfare reboot being so good really hurt them I think, everyone I knew either didn't want to move onto a new entry yet or returned after Cold War. Plus everyone still had access to Warzone without buying into the new entry.

I bet things spike back up again with Modern Warfare 2 though.

Hari Seldon

I dunno if these games are woke or not but I have less than zero desire to play any of them. COD multiplayer was stale 10 years ago and I would pay max $20 for a rogue like.

Fredrik

Too many hot takes here. What has Returnal to do with Call of Duty? And has it only sold 500k copies? (Reminds me that I need to buy it, on Black Friday maybe)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ooops 😬

I'm laughing my ass off reading Kotaku's review of this game. If even Kotaku think the game's too woke, OH BOY!!

Call Of Duty: Vanguard is all about a time-travelling group of six elite soldiers, sent back to the 1940s to save the war effort. Now, I should say this is not explicitly stated, but there’s no other workable explanation for this wokest group of sensitivity-trained, progressive millennials to exist in the time period. They’re there to thwart the Nazis in the very tail-end of the war, to infiltrate Gestapo HQ and secure some secret files on conspiratorial nonsense Project Phoenix, and spread their message of tolerance.

Elios83

It has nothing to do with being woke.
It is franchise fatigue+unwanted setting+ no Warzone.
There's also nothing woke in Returnal and Deathloop. Sony is really happy about the sales of the former anyway while Arkane's games have never sold really well.
The premise of this thread is pretty much a disaster :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

packy34

Have you played Deathloop, OP? There's literally nothing political in it. If your definition of "woke" in this instance is "black protagonist", you might want to stop posting.

On topic, Vanguard is a lot better than Cold War, especially during launch. I assume heavy interest in 2042 drove sales down, but now that we know that game kinda sucks, I wonder if the numbers will actually go up next month?

Returnal isn't woke just because the character looks like Ellen degeneres... Granted still haven't played it yet but I just picked it up the other day, looking forward to it.

Valt7786

It's not even *that* woke. It's just after the pretty stellar Modern Warfare, people didn't want to go back in time again, but we got two in a row that did.
Next years Modern Warfare 2 needs to really pull it out of the bag now.

kingfey

Banned
No worries, I know people, especially you in US right now, need to pretend there’s nothing woke about it. I understand.

Also true, WWII setting certainly didn’t help Vanguard.
dont know what you smoking there op.

there is warzone, which is full woke, but is more successful.

people are just tired of ww2 shit. look at battlefield 2042. new setting. that is what people need.

Top Bottom