• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Vanguard sales down 40% in UK

kingfey

Banned
Deathloop is an interesting case because it had rave reviews and still sold half of Prey on Steam (which itself wasn’t a roaring success and sold half of Dishonored 2). It also had pretty much zero word of mouth after release. I didn’t play it so I can’t say much about it. It could be that having a black MC actually played a role in the flop.

But I bought and played Returnal and all I can say is I really regret it, nothing to do with it being woke though.
deathloop was kinda Sony topic. Sony were blasting it for their state of plays.

and anything with sony marketting, wont attract pc guys on day1. even if ms making it.

Riky

$MSFT
They really need to kill last gen but they won't because of the chip shortages. I think we got Advanced Warfare last gen then a terrible port of Black Ops 3 before they moved on.
This time it could be 2-3 more years before they go current gen only.

kingfey

Banned
What the fuck is woke about Returnal and Deathloop?

Has OP even played those games? Explain yourself Sander Cohen Sander Cohen
clerks 2 women GIF

that is what those 2 have in common.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not sure being "woke" is the reason.

Warzone still being popular. 2042 and Halo just around the corner. People aren't huge fans of the setting. Also heard the Zombie mode is the worst to date.

The game isn't historically accurate, but it would be impossible to make a true, historically accurate WW2 game and not offend people. Beside that, I'm not sure what is "woke" about vanguard??

Kokoloko85

Ill buy when its on sale. I do enjoy a good campaign.
Dont compare it to battlefield lol, that shit doesnt sell or play nowhere as good on campaign

XXL

Returnal is one of the best gameplay experiences I had in the last 5 years but sure, you can have your opinion. It is still very woke. And reading different forums after release, very very few people complained about anything else except difficulty and no save situation.
Just an FYI. Having a female main character doesn't make a game woke. Wtf.
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

There are many games you could make this argument for, Returnal is not one of them.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I think one reason is the WW2 setting. I find it interesting but I have a feeling that many don't. Also there is free-to-play Warzone. Most and especially young people play that instead.

Last edited:
So many people on this forum complain about wokeness 'ruining games' when half the time it's not even there.

Heck Forza horizon 5 was called woke the other day because it had a menu option for none binary that you will never ever see again (probably like 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of your play time).

Now games like returnal are being called woke cus they have a female lead??? Wtf.

Cant wait for for this phrase to die as its used far too much on gaf.

Last edited:

TheMan

Some people on this board are so fucking sensitive about “woke” stuff. Like they’re personally offended by minorities showing up in media but they know that actually saying that is bad so they hide behind this coded language.

I’m glad to see that plenty aren’t so fucking dumb though. I agree with the general sentiment that low sales have nothing to do with black people or women, and everything to do with general fatigue and the deja vu. The world just doesn’t need another ww2 shooter

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Returnal is one of the best gameplay experiences I had in the last 5 years but sure, you can have your opinion. It is still very woke. And reading different forums after release, very very few people complained about anything else except difficulty and no save situation.
Theres nothing woke about returnal

What the hell is wrong with you

Just because the protagonist is a women doesnt mean its woke get a grip ffs

People are just tired with cod

FunkMiller

Gold Member
OP: you don’t want to ever have a girlfriend. Might be too woke for you, because of her being a woman.

Best just stay safe and sound in your incel cave mom’s basement 👍

People always complain about Wokeness on TV, sports and games because they want a break from reality and don’t need to see it all the time then immediately hop off those things to talk about shit being too woke and complaining anyway lol.

Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.
Woke? The game is just bad, nothing to do with wokeness...

Theres nothing woke about returnal

What the hell is wrong with you

Just because the protagonist is a women doesnt mean its woke get a grip ffs

People are just tired with cod
Sigh…do I really need to derail this thread further?

She’s not just woman, she’s middle aged/a bit older woman and as soon as someone on twitter notices some group or class of people is missing from media, bam, you’ll get a floodgates open soon. And what can possibly be percentage of that specific group of people playing home console video games. 0.5? Optimistic. And game’s main theme are mental health issues, without going further into spoilers. Do I really need that in my space sci-fi fantasy? Now I’m waiting for you to tell me how that’s not woke and you won’t get any more replies from me on that.

When even Kotaku says you’re too woke, you just know how far you went. Listen, in today’s British Army only 9.2% of people are not white. BAME people as they say. In two thousand fucking twenty one! Now imagine in 1940s 😅 And you put that guy on your cover. No, not woke at all. Still waiting for a day when they’ll gather courage and do authentic African countries stories, not holding my breath.

And won’t comment further on Deathloop. I know how sensitive this is in US, this is American forum and you all try to be nice, I understand. Sales numbers are doing all the talking. There are many games with non-white characters and protagonists that don’t look like pandering. You need to have sincerity and skills to do it right.

One common thing about all these games is not that they have non-white characters or women, it’s that they are coming from the same American kitchen, no matter where developers are based. Their bosses are in America. And America is obsessed with race and minorities for years and years now.

What we really need to is diversify game production and development to not just be America/Japan.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Who the fuck plays cod nowadays for a good single player story anyway. It’s all about multiplayer. That’s it. And this is great.
I do. CoD has had some pretty great campaigns. I enjoyed Cold War's, and MW 2019's was pretty good, too.

It's one of the main reasons why I never got into Battlefield. Their campaigns always seemed half-assed.

That said, I have absolutely no interest in playing another WWII FPS for the foreseeable future. It's been done to death.

SteadyEvo

People are going to get tired of yearly reskins at some point. Franchise fatigue. They’re going milk it completely dry.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Was wondering how come there suddenly were so much pro wokeness in here, then I remember another sinking ship trying to stay floating here.

Even Kotaku whines over something being too woke and I cant keep track on all this anymore.

What I can keep track on, is that I hate Warzone. BR fucking sucks they should've made all their multiplayer free and not the most garbage game mode of all times.

I always bought all CoD up until mw19. As I've said before, mw19 was the peak of cod and trashing it for annual releases made me just stay away from the series.

I do enjoy ww2, but not running with air jet speed flying like a monkey on speed meleeing everything with a molested garant with imaginary attachments, and the fact that I am fed up restarting every year.

Was wondering how come there suddenly were so much pro wokeness in here, then I remember another sinking ship trying to stay floating here.
They certainly have perfected that “lol wth are you talking about” act of astonishment and awe. It’s just autocensure at work, trying to improve their image and show that other side how they’re not like they portray them to be. It’s always ad hominem, never counter arguing facts that I laid.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Zombies being an insult at launch is why me and my friends haven't bought it this year.

Nothing to do with wokism, just an aversion to being given less than half the content of an average CW season pass for the full price of the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wokeness is the newest episode of the ghost and molly McGee where they build a statue of an old guy in history who ended up being a false hero and taking credit for a women’s deeds so they destroy the statue and build one of her.

This is merely a hint, a dash, a tiny blip of anything close to wokeness.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.

Nah. I think it's because MW2019 was alive and well and didn't need fixin' in the first place. And this effect isn't getting better with a Cold War in between.. Vanguard isn't exactly sticking out for any reason either. Oh, and other competing titles..

Last edited:

reksveks

What was the physical split? its basically the same as FC6.

CsR1NpI.png

eoASrmo.png

Second time where Xbox is much more skewed towards Digital Sales

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sigh…do I really need to derail this thread further?

She’s not just woman, she’s middle aged/a bit older woman and as soon as someone on twitter notices some group or class of people is missing from media, bam, you’ll get a floodgates open soon. And what can possibly be percentage of that specific group of people playing home console video games. 0.5? Optimistic. And game’s main theme are mental health issues, without going further into spoilers. Do I really need that in my space sci-fi fantasy? Now I’m waiting for you to tell me how that’s not woke and you won’t get any more replies from me on that.

When even Kotaku says you’re too woke, you just know how far you went. Listen, in today’s British Army only 9.2% of people are not white. BAME people as they say. In two thousand fucking twenty one! Now imagine in 1940s 😅 And you put that guy on your cover. No, not woke at all. Still waiting for a day when they’ll gather courage and do authentic African countries stories, not holding my breath.

And won’t comment further on Deathloop. I know how sensitive this is in US, this is American forum and you all try to be nice, I understand. Sales numbers are doing all the talking. There are many games with non-white characters and protagonists that don’t look like pandering. You need to have sincerity and skills to do it right.

One common thing about all these games is not that they have non-white characters or women, it’s that they are coming from the same American kitchen, no matter where developers are based. Their bosses are in America. And America is obsessed with race and minorities for years and years now.

What we really need to is diversify game production and development to not just be America/Japan.

"Sales numbers are doing all the talking."

Wrong.

Arkane Studios never put up big numbers.

Returnal sold well and it's just a niche rouge game.

Saying this is a result of having an older woman and a black protagonist is nothing more than ignorance. The majority of gamers don't aren't triggered by this stuff like you are.

They certainly have perfected that “lol wth are you talking about” act of astonishment and awe. It’s just autocensure at work, trying to improve their image and show that other side how they’re not like they portray them to be. It’s always ad hominem, never counter arguing facts that I laid.
Your facts were go woke go broke though. Your entire argument is these games only bombed because of wokeness and not other actual reasons.

Returnal hasn't bombed either but apparently that doesn't matter for your own agenda to spin.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure but it should be.

Blf2TS6.png

if the total console digital to physical split was 80% then Cod on Xbox is likely to come from digital 86% vs 75% on PS. Ignore Phy/Digital in the image
Those number are not quite right

2020 (Black Ops Cold War):

130k physical (22%)
450k digital (78%)
580k total

2021 (Vanguard)

96k physical (28%)
252k digital (72%)
348k total

PS physical 67k
PS digital 131k
PS total 198k (66% digital)

XB physical 29k
XB digital 150k
XB total 179k (84% digital)

Last edited:

-hadouken

It’s a product without a target. Kids don’t want WWII, and traditionalists don’t want a WWII game that doesn’t have axis vs allies in the multiplayer. It’s neither fish nor fowl, and the community knows activision will forget all about it once the freemium BR component goes live. Unsurprising

Portugeezer

No reason to rush out to buy something that you've already experienced many times on a yearly basis over the past 14 years.

COD launches used to be exciting, now they're just sad. Same shitty campaign gameplay beats; MP same since COD4 with minor changes here and there.

reksveks

Those number are not quite right

2020 (Black Ops Cold War):

130k physical (22%)
450k digital (78%)
580k total

2021 (Vanguard)

96k physical (28%)
252k digital (72%)
348k total

PS physical 67k
PS digital 131k
PS total 198k (66% digital)

XB physical 29k
XB digital 150k
XB total 179k (84% digital)
cheers for that, I think there might be a small calculation error those, the digital numbers don't add up right

Last edited:
Top Bottom