• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Vanguard sales down 40% in UK

tommib

These are random pictures of astronauts, not protagonists that have been carefully created by a committee of artists and designers and have had their personalities carefully written by script writers in order to appeal to the potential purchasers and players of a product.
Then kudos to the creators for making Selene look like someone who could actually be an astronaut and not Princess Peach in space.

elliot5

Then kudos to the creators for making Selene look like someone who could actually be an astronaut and not Princess Peach in space.
horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-2.large.jpg

found NikuNashi's twitter

Three

Include somebody black or a woman: 'Go woke go broke'
Include the pronoun they/them: wow look at the success of this game.

Vanguard sold way more than any of these games too. It didn't see a decline for 'going woke'. It's seeing a decline because warzone exists.

Sigh…do I really need to derail this thread further?

She’s not just woman, she’s middle aged/a bit older woman and as soon as someone on twitter notices some group or class of people is missing from media, bam, you’ll get a floodgates open soon. And what can possibly be percentage of that specific group of people playing home console video games. 0.5? Optimistic. And game’s main theme are mental health issues, without going further into spoilers. Do I really need that in my space sci-fi fantasy? Now I’m waiting for you to tell me how that’s not woke and you won’t get any more replies from me on that.

When even Kotaku says you’re too woke, you just know how far you went. Listen, in today’s British Army only 9.2% of people are not white. BAME people as they say. In two thousand fucking twenty one! Now imagine in 1940s 😅 And you put that guy on your cover. No, not woke at all. Still waiting for a day when they’ll gather courage and do authentic African countries stories, not holding my breath.

And won’t comment further on Deathloop. I know how sensitive this is in US, this is American forum and you all try to be nice, I understand. Sales numbers are doing all the talking. There are many games with non-white characters and protagonists that don’t look like pandering. You need to have sincerity and skills to do it right.

One common thing about all these games is not that they have non-white characters or women, it’s that they are coming from the same American kitchen, no matter where developers are based. Their bosses are in America. And America is obsessed with race and minorities for years and years now.

What we really need to is diversify game production and development to not just be America/Japan.
God forbid a video game represents a different type of person than you. Black men died and heroically fought in that war too. They deserve some representation.

Macattk15

I bought the game and played a few matches. Then refunded it.

Just tired of paying $60 for the same Call of Duty .... and also tired of WW2 bullshit. Didn't even notice who or what was on the cover and never touched the campaign.

reksveks

But how would GP kill any CoD sales when it’s not on GP and never will be and everyone wants to play new CoD year after year?

You have to ask that of the proponents of the argument that Gamepass is making a significant number of xbox users to wait for games to come on gamepass.

Separately interesting to see the back4blood was number 2 to both xbox and ps npd charts. It's almost as if user behaviour is more complicated than people believe.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I actually bought Vanguard last night, seeing as BF2042 is lacking in its current state (gotta have a military shooter every year). Played about 3 hrs of MP and its actually pretty good, considering some current flaws. I like it even more than Cold War honestly. I dont mind the setting, the action is pretty visceral, more than the past 2 CODs.

Whats an acceptable drop in sales? Are they not expected to drop due to a finite amount of users out there?

Edder1

That really isn't a big deal....every year after some Black Ops title, the sales are down by a few % and yet they still move massive units, its in comparison to a popular Call Of Duty, its not some magical reveal that it failed lol

So we've seen bigger drops on games that moved massive units. I think you are simply looking for a narrative to force...
It's the worst selling COD in 14 years at least in UK so it's somewhat a big deal.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's the worst selling COD in 14 years at least in UK so it's somewhat a big deal.

Unless you think it is the start of a trend of decline that you can pinpoint to something other than this just not being as good as other cods it’s not really a big deal. It’ll be a big deal if next years game sells even less, and then the same the year after, but until then you’d be foolish to read too much into it.

Edder1

Unless you think it is the start of a trend of decline that you can pinpoint to something other than this just not being as good as other cods it’s not really a big deal. It’ll be a big deal if next years game sells even less, and then the same the year after, but until then you’d be foolish to read too much into it.
That is the point isn't it, that it's not that good and people didn't like it. It's still a big deal to Activision who gonna lose a lot of money and have the worst selling COD since Modern Warfare 4, at least in UK. Is it a big deal in grand scheme of things? No. Will it hurt Activision long term? Highly unlikely, but that wasn't the point I was making.

Last edited:
Well I haven't brought Vanguard because 1, black Friday is around the corner, 2 so is Xmas, and I'll guess everything will be cheaper then.

Sales might be down, because people are being forced to be more careful with their money.

Is is it me or does Sledgehammer games always release CoD that not many people give a shit about?

I mean the story of Vanguard is pretty woke but Sledgehammer has always underperformed when it comes to Call of Duty sales.

Edder1

Is is it me or does Sledgehammer games always release CoD that not many people give a shit about?

I mean the story of Vanguard is pretty woke but Sledgehammer has always underperformed when it comes to Call of Duty sales.
They usually don't perform as well as some of their top earners, but their two previous games Advanced Warfare (22M) and WWII (20M) have comfortably outsold the likes of Black Ops 4 (14M) and Infinite Warfare (14M). Mind you both of their previous games have been made under completely different leadership. Overall their games sell respectable numbers. So far Vanguard is on track to be their worst selling game by far.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
They usually don't perform as well as some of their top earners, but this generation both Advanced Warfare (22M) and WWII (20M) have comfortably outsold the likes of Black Ops 4 (14M) and Infinite Warfare (14M). Mind you both of their previous games have been made under completely different leadership. Overall their games sell respectable numbers. So far Vanguard is on track to be their worst selling game by far.
That's too bad. It's Sledgehammers best CoD yet, multiplayer wise

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I bought the game and played a few matches. Then refunded it.

Just tired of paying $60 for the same Call of Duty .... and also tired of WW2 bullshit. Didn't even notice who or what was on the cover and never touched the campaign.

anyone on gaf that is a bit older..
remembers how fucking milked WW2 games are around the 2000’s

and most of us still avoid it like the plague.

Godot25

Banned
Far cry did something similar but I was separately wondering if we got any similar total sales numbers for fifa. Might have a look around.
I don't want to draw full conclusion, but based on those two examples I think it is safe to say, that Xbox users are more moved towards digital then PS users and way more then Nintendo users.

It makes sense. Series S have higher marketshare then PS5 DE and GamePass is all about digital.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
woke woke woke woke woke

Just stop, it's so boring. Forza Horizon 5 is wildly successful and is a game where you can give your fucking race car driver they/them pronouns.

COD is underperforming because it's not as good as the COD they released in 2019 or the free one everyone's still playing right now.

I actually bought Vanguard last night, seeing as BF2042 is lacking in its current state (gotta have a military shooter every year). Played about 3 hrs of MP and its actually pretty good, considering some current flaws. I like it even more than Cold War honestly. I dont mind the setting, the action is pretty visceral, more than the past 2 CODs.

Whats an acceptable drop in sales? Are they not expected to drop due to a finite amount of users out there?
Almost everyone who has actually given the MP a fair chance has said it’s great, and they prefer it to recent entries. Everyone trashing it seems to have not touched the actual game at all.

I also don’t get the WW2 hate… I love WW2 settings.

woke woke woke woke woke

Just stop, it's so boring. Forza Horizon 5 is wildly successful and is a game where you can give your fucking race car driver they/them pronouns.

COD is underperforming because it's not as good as the COD they released in 2019 or the free one everyone's still playing right now.
It’s not as good, it’s better!

jigglet

Banned
I love (loved) COD, but I'm still happy to dance on its fucking grave. Fuck you Acti for doing what you've done to it.

Three

You have to ask that of the proponents of the argument that Gamepass is making a significant number of xbox users to wait for games to come on gamepass.

Separately interesting to see the back4blood was number 2 to both xbox and ps npd charts. It's almost as if user behaviour is more complicated than people believe.
I don't think charts would help show anything because at the end of the day they are only showing the relative buying habits of those who are still buying games. If the totals in the charts didn't match the install base though this would show a trend. We need to check sales attach rates for the games.

reksveks

Has anyone else clocked that alot of the censorship complainers hasn't raised the issue about bf2042 'censoring' themselves around the Ukrainian/Russian reference in the game?

It sometimes feels to me that the complaints are a bit selective but hope that's not the case.

I don't think charts would help show anything because at the end of the day they are only showing the relative buying habits of those who are still buying games. If the totals in the charts didn't match the install base though this would show a trend. We need to check sales attach rates for the games.

Definitely don't think we have enough data to say anything with a reasonable level of confidence but it's definitely the same level of data that people whom claim confidently that GP is killing sales. I would love to get active user base per platform for both the US and UK and total revenue/sales numbers.

Ooops 😬

26% for physical, 44% for digital.

How’s that woke thing going for you devs and pubs? Returnal (500k sold) and Deathloop (total flop with unprecedented marketing campaign, 900 active players few hours ago lol) know the feeling.
Shove the woke crap, where the sun doesn't shine. The UK is going digital, we don't have much of a high street these days, you see

skneogaf

Call of duty vanguard and deathloop have stories that I believe the general buying public just don't find interesting.

Same thing with returnal.

I will buy all three at heavily reduced prices or play deathloop on gamepass and wait for returnal on ps plus.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That is the point isn't it, that it's not that good and people didn't like it. It's still a big deal to Activision who gonna lose a lot of money and have the worst selling COD since Modern Warfare 4, at least in UK.
Lose a lot of money? Hell no lol. They'll still make off like bandits profit wise. Worst selling maybe, but it'll still be top 2 selling games of the year, if not top 1.

horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-2.large.jpg

found NikuNashi's twitter

I'm currently bored and watching crap TV (survivor)... Even with them just being on a beach all day in "the wild" and given various luxuries, they still have frizzy hair, look a bit rough, tired, bad complexion etc.

Why do you want the main female character to look all dolled up and makeup galore in a wild/hunter/scavenger environment?

I wish people would understand - the problem is not simply the presence of black characters or women characters - it's how the characters are written. They're often created by identity-politics obsessed liberals solely to wage a proxy war against straight white men. They're "polemics" with wardrobe, as I saw someone describe it. They're so focused on waging this war that they forget to make the characters interesting in their own right. They have to be perfect and flawless in every way. They forget to give them arcs that make characters feel real and likeable.

Focus on the character, and the narrative, and let the character have flaws and foibles - which white male characters frequently have because people do not see 'white guy' when they write these characters - they just see a character.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's not even *that* woke. It's just after the pretty stellar Modern Warfare, people didn't want to go back in time again, but we got two in a row that did.
Next years Modern Warfare 2 needs to really pull it out of the bag now.
It might not be that woke but they advertised it as such because all I saw was the black guy and the woman in the promos. You'd think they would've learned something from BFV...

JoeBudden

I wish people would understand - the problem is not simply the presence of black characters or women characters - it's how the characters are written. They're often created by identity-politics obsessed liberals solely to wage a proxy war against straight white men. They're "polemics" with wardrobe, as I saw someone describe it. They're so focused on waging this war that they forget to make the characters interesting in their own right. They have to be perfect and flawless in every way. They forget to give them arcs that make characters feel real and likeable.

Focus on the character, and the narrative, and let the character have flaws and foibles - which white male characters frequently have because people do not see 'white guy' when they write these characters - they just see a character.

Here's an example of someone who didn't even play the game but wants a reason to be mad.

This forum is becoming ridiculous. It's becoming the trump conspiracy site. The reverse resetera.

Last edited:
It might not be that woke but they advertised it as such because all I saw was the black guy and the woman in the promos. You'd think they would've learned something from BFV...
This is just straight up racism under the guise of complaining about political correctness. You are making negative judgements towards things because promo images have black people in them? Get a grip.

JoeBudden

I didn't play the game and wasn't talking about Vanguard specifically. I don't know if Vanguard falls victim to this but I would be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

I promise you this is more about people being exhausted with the WW2 setting and the annual COD games than "woke" bullshit.

Last edited:
This forum is becoming ridiculous. It's becoming the trump conspiracy site. The reverse resetera.
You can deny it all you want. One of the foundational aspects of what these weirdos believe is that everything in society - including movies and games - were all just created to benefit white men, and they have to 'fix' that - which again, is a terrible way to approach writing stories and characters. Deny it all you want, it's clear as day.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Came in expecting standard console warring with people comparing PlayStation/Xbox sales numbers.

Got this instead

Give the OP 40 Thread of the Year awards for subverting expectations.

JoeBudden

its hilarious. look at how they spin this into something about race while referencing "what happened to BFV".

well, what happened to BFV was DICE fucking around with the TTK to the point where it just ruined the gameplay and pushed influencers away. They took too long to fix the game and also cut support early. no one gave a fuck about women being in the game lol.

SkylineRKR

CoD has different issues than being Woke. The beta got a bad rep for its gameplay, sound mixing and everything. Vanguard feels like a MW2019 reskin, but worse.

I'm going to skip both BF and CoD. I think both games suck.

CoD has different issues than being Woke. The beta got a bad rep for its gameplay, sound mixing and everything. Vanguard feels like a MW2019 reskin, but worse.

I'm going to skip both BF and CoD. I think both games suck.
The beta was way worse than the final game, they honestly really really dug in and took the feedback on board. Have you played the full release game? I’d recommend trying to give it a shot at some stage (maybe you know someone you can borrow it from just to trial it) and see if you enjoy it, it’s really great fun and all of my friends are loving it too.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I bought Cod:Mw and Cold war after open beta. This time i didn't feel like it. Everything was inferior compared to them, graphics, sounds, gameplay, chaotic crowded maps etc. I will wait one more year for IW's game.

Top Bottom