• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Saves coming tomorrow to PS+ members (plus FW 3.60)

Carl

Joystiq talking out of their arse? Didn't see this in the blog post

Future titles will offer the ability to save directly to PSN, Sony says, bypassing your local HDD entirely.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
No one is forcing you to pay $50 for this feature

If you are paying $50 just for this feature.... and don't care what other stuff PSN+ offers...LOL @ you

For early adopter like me, it's another feature being implemented into a service I use, I'm really happy I can back up my game saves. I already have had 3 YLOD, with multiple copy-right saves gone, never to be played again, starting from RE5 from scratch is not fun after you have invested 50+ hours into it.

Mostly this feature really help me back-up my copy prohibited game saves
(Demon's Soul <3, being the first thing I upload, the NA game save and the Asian version game saves)

The reason some games have copy prohibited is either to duping, cheating on scores, and other things by opening game save files and adjusting stats etc.
(Demon's Soul if not copy prohibited would just be people creating saves of duping armors, souls, etc, hell through the Asian version you could dupe souls through the Save A <=> Save B game save swap, repeat indefinitely, and hit SL 712)

Mostly any game save that has a lock on it, will be uploaded to the cloud by me, and some others I cherish
(I have back-ups of back-ups, games saves on my ps3, my 2 laptops, usb stick, and on my 4GB Pro Stick Duo)

PSN+ has truly payed it for self, I'm re-subbing now to get the 12+3 bonus again and have PSN+ till December 2012 (started June 2010, 15 months = September 2011, add new re-sub, December 2012), good time to world ends, sub ends win-win.

If you subbed Day 1, PSN+ has given away a total of $400 worth of stuff, even though it's not free, mostly it's just rental, but how many people buy PSN games play 1[-2 months, get bored or 100% and move on, PSN+ offers great stuff

Sorry for long post + sounding like a PSN+ shill

To me it's worth it, bring on the cloud saves, I need it

PSN games (ranging from $4.99-$24.99), some are free outright, yes free.
PS1 games for nostalgia
Minis
Themes
Discount, Dead Nation for $7.50 is a steal (50% off)
Now we get Genesis games
Demos (earlier)
BETAS
Automatic Downloading
1 hour free trial of games on demand
Now Cloud Saves
Other features down the pipeline, who knows

tim1138

I3rand0 said:
I've done it, but you need a heat gun not a hair dryer. It's only temporary. So if you get yours working again, go out and buy a new unit to do the Data Transfer from one to the other.

I've long replaced it with a Slim, but have read you can run a hairdryer over the back vents for 15 minutes and get units back on--a different version of the towel trick for RROD 360's if you will.

tim1138

Adam Prime said:
Okay this is really neat and all, but is it really worth a premium price tag?

*Gets USB stick*
*Backs up Saves*

... and you can take that USB stick everywhere. Literally no inconvenience.

Except that doesn't work for those pesky locked save files.

I3rand0

tim1138 said:
I've long replaced it with a Slim, but have read you can run a hairdryer over the back vents for 15 minutes and get units back on--a different version of the towel trick for RROD 360's if you will.

I did the reflow process on Youtube last year and it worked for about 4 months until it YLOD again but this time permanently.

angelfly

Carl said:
Sony can easily implement it into the SDK for developers to incorporate it into their games. So it's highly likely that we'll soon see games that will have the ability to do that.

Totobeni said:
This, this, this, this...

Curse you PS+, I hate you so much.

it's 150 MB of user web storage... Obviously it would not be impossible for Sony to give that away for free, but I think at least these kind of features are acceptable for premium accounts.
Especially if your direct competitor forces people to pay for playing games with their own bandwidth (p2p) and your customers crying all the time that PS+ offers them not enough (even though it's a content subscription first of all...).

edit: plus this is only essential for copyprotected savegames (and even then only if you don't have the option to transfer your saves to another console via the transfer firmware option, e.g. due to a bricked console)

Shakala

If I was Sony:

Regular psn members - 150 mb cloud storage
PS+ members - 300 mb cloud storage

or if they still want to be dicks, make ps1/ps2 cloud saves for ps+ only

notworksafe

This is stupid. So locked saves can be uploaded to the cloud for backup but not to my flash drive/USB HDD for backup?

Damnit, Sony!

tim1138

I3rand0 said:
I did the reflow process on Youtube last year and it worked for about 4 months until it YLOD again but this time permanently.

I dunno that I trust myself to attempt a reflow honestly.

Jim

Carl said:

It says so right in the Press Release:

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced that online storage for game saves will be available exclusively to PlayStation®Plus subscribers, allowing gamers to back up their save data to the cloud. Online storage for game saves will be available with system software update (v3.60) for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system, coming on March 10, 2011 and will be automatically enabled for PlayStation Plus subscribers once users install the update.

With the new feature, PlayStation Plus subscribers can store up to 150MB of PS3 game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PlayStation®Network account. “Copy-prohibited save data” is also supported, and all previously backed-up save data may be restored once per 24-hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

Online storage for game saves ensures that data stored by PlayStation Plus subscribers is more secure than ever and is an integral feature for gamers who wish to access their data on other PS3 systems. Users can check their available/total space at any time via the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar). Users who wish to utilize the feature immediately following the system software update (v3.60), can do so with these instructions:

To back-up:
1. Select [Game] > [Save Data Utility].
2. Focus on the save data you wish to back up.
3. Open up the option menu using “triangle” and select [Copy].
4. Select [Online Storage] as the destination of back up.

To copy:
1. Select [Game] > [Save Data Utility] > [Online Storage].
2. Focus on the save data you wish to copy.
3. Open up an option menu using “triangle” and select [Copy].

PlayStation Plus is available for a yearly fee of $49.99, and for a limited time, gamers will also receive 3 free bonus months when signing up for a one-year subscription. Gamers can also subscribe to the 3-month option for $17.99.

PS Blog also say:

When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

So saving direct to your PSN account will be supported in the near future.

This seems like the first step, and it's pretty inevitable that there will be some syncing option in the future and I bet a storage limit bump also.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Adam Prime said:
Okay this is really neat and all, but is it really worth a premium price tag?

*Gets USB stick*
*Backs up Saves*

... and you can take that USB stick everywhere. Literally no inconvenience.

USB does not do protected saves. This does. That alone is a huge difference and advantage for many.

Massa

If want to backup your saves on a PS3 you have to manually select every single one of them. It's ridiculous, and I hope it's fixed with firmware 3.60.

Cloud backup is fine and all but I'd rather have them safely on a pen drive. And protected saves are asinine, Sony should remove that feature instead of charing for ways around it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Other minor features will also be added via system software update (v3.60).
ZOMFG other minor features!!!! YEAR OF PS3 BIOTCHES! WOOOO!!!

notworksafe

Massa said:
And protected saves are asinine, Sony should remove that feature instead of charing for ways around it.
Or tie them to a profile like Xbox saves. That way they can't be used unless the correct profile is on the HDD.

Fersis said:
ZOMFG other minor features!!!! YEAR OF PS3 BIOTCHES! WOOOO!!!
Color printer support incoming

Carl said:
This would make sense. When news of 3.60 first leaked, the leak-er said it was up to the developer to implement the feature.

Edit:

I hope they make it mandatory at some point.

androvsky

Massa said:
If want to backup your saves on a PS3 you have to manually select every single one of them. It's ridiculous, and I hope it's fixed with firmware 3.60.

It's already confirmed that you have to select them one by one for cloud backup too. :( Hopefully the outcry from a bunch of people actually using the feature will force Sony to fix that quickly too.

kuroshiki

Shakala said:
If I was Sony:

Regular psn members - 150 mb cloud storage
PS+ members - 300 mb cloud storage

or if they still want to be dicks, make ps1/ps2 cloud saves for ps+ only

If I were sony:

Regular PSN users : Gets nothing.
PS plus members: 1GB cloud service auto synching.

At least sony is still willing to give free online play unlike LIVE. be grateful.

Shakala

kuroshiki said:
If I were sony:

Regular PSN users : Gets nothing.
PS plus members: 1GB cloud service auto synching.

At least sony is still willing to give free online play unlike LIVE. be grateful.

I am of the opinion that you don't get people to subscribe to your service by screwing over the regulars, but by adding value to existing content. But that's just me.

EDIT: And Sony should be the grateful one because if they tried to charge me 50 bucks for online with the same features they have right now, I'd go straight to LIVE.

notworksafe said:
Or tie them to a profile like Xbox saves. That way they can't be used unless the correct profile is on the HDD.

Unlocked savegames are already tied to an account or PSN profile, the reason behind locked ones is apparently that some developers don't want people to have access to the file via a PC (e.g. for online cheating etc.).
I don't really get it because there are a lot of online games with unprotected saves that just use encryption etc.
Of course no one knows why offline-only sp games like Heavy Rain would need a copyprotected savegame (maybe potential trophy cheating?)...

x3sphere

150MB is weak for a paid service. Valve gives you 1GB of cloud storage for screenshots on Steam free, and I believe it's unlimited for saves.

Ephemeris

My PS3 got stolen back in January. Lost my awesome Demon's Souls save + a ton of other games. Better late than never, but :( regardless.

With that said, PSN+ sounds really good right about now.

LiK

x3sphere said:
150MB is weak for a paid service. Valve gives you 1GB of cloud storage for screenshots on Steam free, and I believe it's unlimited for saves.
PC are Master Race for a reason. :p

Shakala said:
I am of the opinion that you don't get people to subscribe to your service by screwing over the regulars, but by adding value to existing content. But that's just me.

You make it sound like Sony is obligated to give everyone this feature.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It'd be great if it autosynced when you have automatic downloads on...the ps3 already makes video thumbnail files during that time, so why not sync saves and trophies too.

Shakala said:

EDIT: And Sony should be the grateful one because if they tried to charge me 50 bucks for online with the same features they have right now, I'd go straight to LIVE.

Paid features, meet sense of entitlement.

Carl

Jim said:
It says so right in the Press Release:

PS Blog also say:

So saving direct to your PSN account will be supported in the near future.

This seems like the first step, and it's pretty inevitable that there will be some syncing option in the future and I bet a storage limit bump also.
Missed that part on the blog. Probably because i only read EU Blog where it doesn't say it

Still pretty satisfied with my Plus-subscription (since day 1). I got almost double/triple the value of content for a fixed 50 euros. Stuff like LBP, Wipeout, Stacking, Critter Crunch, nice discounts, the whole Sam and Max season....etc etc. Also a lot of the bite-sized PSN stuff is one play only for me (for example, when your 100% in Stacking you're basically done wit it.)

One thing that's still not clear to me is the activation part. You have 5 right? So you can access your cloud saves on 4 other PS3s?

Grisby

Cool feature but I've never really cared about cloud saving. Never had the need to except for the Demons Souls save I lost.

On the topic of PSN plus, I just can't get over the fact that if I quit my subscription the stuff goes away. Or at least, some of the items do right?

Shakala

The_Darkest_Red said:
You make it sound like Sony is obligated to offer everyone this feature.

Not obligated, but it's not a feature that entices me to get ps+, protected saves or not.

For example, let's say you had a certain amount of saves you could make regularly. Then later on your cloud saves are full and you just wish there was some way you could save more. Oh wait! That's where PS+ comes in. Awesome.

Same with cross game voice chat. Why not add the basic feature for everyone and extra premium features for +? Either way, I have plus and I'm just putting my opinion out there.

x3sphere said:
I think Steam has separate storage sizes/servers for each game. For Half-Life 2 it lists 98MB of Cloud Storage being available, and for L4D2 it lists 974KB.

In any case, not every game is Steam Cloud compatible, as you know, so it isn't the best comparison to make. For instance, I've only got like 15 games out of ~130 that are compatible. :\
But yeah, for a paid service, I'd like a bit more than just 150MB.

Carl

StevePharma said:
Still pretty satisfied with my Plus-subscription (since day 1). I got almost double/triple the value of content for a fixed 50 euros. Stuff like LBP, Wipeout, Stacking, Critter Crunch, nice discounts, the whole Sam and Max season....etc etc. Also a lot of the bite-sized PSN stuff is one play only for me (for example, when your 100% in Stacking you're basically done wit it.)

One thing that's still not clear to me is the activation part. You have 5 right? So you can access your cloud saves on 4 other PS3s?

According to James on the EU blog it's not tied to your system activations

x3sphere said:

well, the PS3 also has 1 GB of cloud storage for screenshots
(Google's Picasa via the Photo Album app)

;)

Zoibie

I'm glad to see that this is supported for every game, and that this doesn't have to be implemented by the devs like one rumour suggested.

Wow this is a great feature, my PS+ sub is about to run out in about a week but im really happy with the service. Im going to renew 3 months only since im out of work due to injury and i dont have much cash then get a year. Keep the features coming!

Shakala said:
Not obligated, but it's not a feature that entices me to get ps+, protected saves or not.

For example, let's say you had a certain amount of saves you could make regularly. Then later on your cloud saves are full and you just wish there was some way you could save more. Oh wait! That's where PS+ comes in. Awesome.

Same with cross game voice chat. Why not add the basic feature for everyone and extra premium features for +? Either way, I have plus and I'm just putting my opinion out there.

I don't disagree that it would be nice if Sony would give everyone these features for free but I do disagree when you say that Sony is "screwing over the regulars."

kuroshiki

Shakala said:

If you have plus then you don't really have any complain to do.

Top Bottom