• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Saves coming tomorrow to PS+ members (plus FW 3.60)

Oni Jazar

From the official comments on the EU blog it seems that to backup your save you have to select each one individually and save it.

C'mon Sony. It's bad enough that the system can't just automatically sync your save files to the cloud there's not even an option to back them all up in one shot?

g35twinturbo said:
We don't know yet.
But atleast we wouldn't have to worry about the cloud (hopefully) fucking up like a usb thumb drive (ala breaking it, losing it)

Well I doubt Sony would force you to upload all your ps3 saves in an all or nothing way. We will most likely get to choose which saves we want to upload.

woolley

Seems like a cool option but I don't see myself ever having to use it so it most likely won't be a deciding factor if I renew my PS+ membership at the end of the month or not.

H_Prestige said:
So you can't access cloud saves from in game, and the saves on your hdd won't automatically sync with the cloud saves.

Unless you're dealing with copy protected stuff, why the hell is this any better than just backing up your saves to an external hdd, a usb drive, or a computer periodically? And once your stuff is on a computer you can already upload them to some online dropbox.

Yep, just what I was thinking now. The only real benefit is copy protected saves and sort of an easier way to access data from a second location. Great for me when I want to use a save file at work since it's less hassle to copy and upload somewhere, but I hope they do a more automated approach down the line. I hope Sony plans to improve this functionality over time and not considered this a check box that has been marked with this release. That said, I think I'll pay for it as a sign that I support this type of functionality.

snap0212

lowrider007 said:
Games will save automatically to the cloud or to the HDD first and then be backed up to the cloud or both?
No. Game saves are on the hard drive, but you can select them (one at a time) and upload them. NOTHING happens automatically as far as we know.

mattp

it really is bullshit that the only way to backup your copy protected save files is to pay 50 bucks a year
sony seriously needs to release a firmware update that removes copy protection from the system.
it's such an anti consumer friendly feature, it's ridiculous

Junior

Banned
I would be nice if future games could save and load the files directly to/from the cloud. But i guess that one download per 24 hours would put a stop to that.

kassatsu said:
Afrika is 100+ MB

That's if you barely take any photos. Plus, for some reason it takes FOREVER to transfer the Afrika save file to a different device. There is something weird with that thing.

I3rand0

mattp said:
it really is bullshit that the only way to backup your copy protected save files is to pay 50 bucks a year
sony seriously needs to release a firmware update that removes copy protection from the system.

I agree. Steam doesn't force me to pay $50 to use cloud saving and create a segregated community of users.

vermadas

This is great news. My PS3 is not my primary gaming console so it's still not enough to get me to subscribe to PS+, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Hopefully MS takes note and adds cloud saves to XBL Gold (lol).

Oppo

mattp said:

It's not the only way, although there are a select few *cough*demonssouls*cough* that stand out.

Blame the publishers for locking them if anything, they are usually the ones who make the choice. They probably can't contractually/legally walk that back at this point.

As for Sony's part I think USB/memory card/cloud saving support is pretty good. I back up my saves on old camera cards that are too small to be useful for anything else every so often; this is just one more option.

If it doesn't auto sync then that is a bit of a letdown but I guess you gotta crawl first, etc.

Oni Jazar

Junior said:
I would be nice if future games could save and load the files directly to/from the cloud. But i guess that one download per 24 hours would put a stop to that.

You wouldn't need for the game to do it. The PS3 should automatically check for saves on your HD at regular intervals or on quitting a game and then upload the changes to the cloud. Same way Steam does it.

Also the 24 lock down is only for "protected saves"

mattp said:

I still don't understand who benefits from copy protected saves. The most bizarre thing about the ps3 and how it just started happening for no apparent reason.

Or then again, maybe this was all planned and the only purpose of copy protected saves was so that users would eventually have to pay $50/year to back them up.

mattp

I3rand0 said:
I agree. Steam doesn't force me to pay $50 to use cloud saving and create a segregated community of users.
it'd be an easier pill to swallow if we could back up ALL our saves on local storage
but we can't. there's always those locked files we can't put on a usb stick. and now they give us an option to back them up and it's a pay feature. so lame

mattp

PortTwo said:
It's not the only way, although there are a select few *cough*demonssouls*cough* that stand out.

Blame the publishers for locking them if anything, they are usually the ones who make the choice. They probably can't contractually/legally walk that back at this point.

As for Sony's part I think USB/memory card/cloud saving support is pretty good. I back up my saves on old camera cards that are too small to be useful for anything else every so often; this is just one more option.
that's why i said specifically copyprotected saves
sony needs to just drop support for that and unlock our files

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
H_Prestige said:
Well I doubt Sony would force you to upload all your ps3 saves in an all or nothing way. We will most likely get to choose which saves we want to upload.

Well I doubt they would force you either, I don't see the point in that. It saves them on storage space. I would backup my important saves though GT5 and Uncharted's and RE5. I use a retail ps3 @ work so I'm curious on how this will work per say I play GT5 at home, upload save, then pull it down @ work. I would have to wait 24 hours before uploading again or to download?

I3rand0

H_Prestige said:
I still don't understand who benefits from copy protected saves. The most bizarre thing about the ps3 and how it just started happening for no apparent reason.

Or then again, maybe this was all planned and the only purpose of copy protected saves was so that users would eventually have to pay $50/year to back them up.

I'm not sure about that conspiracy theory, but a lot of developers have started to get smarter about not locking their saves anymore (re: Rock Band 3). Like I said in the other thread, I'm not sure this feature is retroactive for games as I think developers have to opt-in to support this a la voice chat, in-game music, etc.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
snap0212 said:
No. Game saves are on the hard drive, but you can select them (one at a time) and upload them. NOTHING happens automatically as far as we know.

So this is more like a backup feature, you can't save and load from the cloud directly then?

ummm, this isn't what I thought it was if that's the case, still handy though I guess.

LiK

lowrider007 said:
So this is more like a backup feature, you can't save and load from the cloud directly then?

ummm, this isn't what I thought it was if that's the case, still handy though I guess.

baby steps, bro

Oni Jazar

g35twinturbo said:
I use a retail ps3 @ work so I'm curious on how this will work per say I play GT5 at home, upload save, then pull it down @ work. I would have to wait 24 hours before uploading again or to download?

No the 24 hour limit is only for "copy protection" saves. GT5 saves are no longer copy protected.

g35twinturbo said:
Well I doubt they would force you either, I don't see the point in that. It saves them on storage space. I would backup my important saves though GT5 and Uncharted's and RE5. I use a retail ps3 @ work so I'm curious on how this will work per say I play GT5 at home, upload save, then pull it down @ work. I would have to wait 24 hours before uploading again or to download?

Probably both. This isn't really cloud saving in the way people were probably thinking of. It's just a 150mb online locker that costs $50/year and can only store ps3 save files.

LiK

Majine said:
Demon's Souls saves must be worth more than gold nowadays.

yea, and it's goddamn copy-protected which makes it the main reason why i worry if my HDD dies.

I3rand0

H_Prestige said:
Probably both. This isn't really cloud saving in the way people were probably thinking of. It's just a 150mb online locker that costs $50/year and can only store ps3 save files.

Pretty much. Bait and switch.

Sony: "Hey let's call it cloud saving. Just like that open beta for Killzone 3 when the game had already gone gold!"

Carl

Oni Jazar said:
From the official comments on the EU blog it seems that to backup your save you have to select each one individually and save it.

C'mon Sony. It's bad enough that the system can't just automatically sync your save files to the cloud there's not even an option to back them all up in one shot?

You can't back them all up to a HDD at once, what makes you think this would be any different?

Reading James T's replies though, he also says they will look into something like this for future updates.

Man

H_Prestige said:
You get nothing else for those $50. Nothing outside of tons of free games .

spwolf

snap0212 said:
They should have released a video where they show how everything works... They used to do that in the past!So you have to select every save file you want to upload? That's stupid. Why doesn't it just check if a save file was recently edited and uploads it automatically? Sony has a lot of great features; screenshots function, in game soundtracks, and stuff like that. The problem with every single one of these features is that they never "just work".

not sure if they have versioning, probably not...

... so it is not bad that you get to decide when to backup and what to backup.

it is also a lot easier to do from the couch, compared to sticking usb stick and doing it then.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Oni Jazar said:
No the 24 hour limit is only for "copy protection" saves. GT5 saves are no longer copy protected.

Hmmmmm I'm so late, since I lost my save Ive been scared to go back lol.

H_Prestige said:

Well it's with a service that you pay for already, granted not the best service but YMMV.
I liked the discounts I get from games Ive purchased so I guess I don't see that I am paying for a feature or what not.

Wait, so if I save EVERYTHING to the cloud, delete it from my HDD. . .boot up the game. . I can't just play from the cloud? I have to download the save to my PS3. . .then play?

Thats not cool.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well to be fair to Sony they did just say "Online Storage for Game Saves" rather than a cloud system, I think a lot of people including myself are getting the wrong end of the stick, this isn't a proper cloud save/load system, but rather an online backup system for game saves.

LiK

g35twinturbo said:
Hmmmmm I'm so late, since I lost my save Ive been scared to go back lol.

yea, GT5 saves are no longer copy-protected after a major update a while ago. you're good to go!

mattp said:
because you can just press a button and it uploads
still more convenient than plugging in a usb drive

also, it will store copy protected saves. which you cant do at all right now

i wish this was free. and that it existed a year ago. my ylod'd 60gigger wouldn't have stolen my saves from me then :(
And I'm assuming this will solve any issues with copying saves disabling trophies, like what happens Uncharted.

Oni Jazar

Carl said:
You can't back them all up to a HDD at once, what makes you think this would be any different?

I've always bitched about that too. Such a simple feature that really adds benefit to the user with a few lines of code.

I don't agree with I3rand0 though. It's cloud saving just done manually. Not the end of the world.

Struct09

F'ing sweet! Just subscribed to PS+ last week for Stacking (and possible future freebies), and this makes me very happy.

I really wish they would do this with Xbox Live.

I recently changed consoles, and while I thought I (painstakingly) copied all my saves, I recently learned that I forgot to move Ridge Racer 6.. 50+ hours of game lost! I was so pissed! Now I'll probably never finish it :(

LiK

also remember that they allow you to back up copy-protected saves. you can't move those to a USB stick.

Top Bottom