• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2016 - Come for the curves, stay for the Quantum Dots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynasty

Damm First time watching CES, guess Sony has the same problem as when they do E3. They have no idea how to pace the conference.

MrJames

Sony UHD BD player

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/sony-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-4k/#

uhp-h1-cw2-large-1.jpg

New Handycam

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/sony-new-handycam-and-action-cam/

New TVs

xbr-x930d-btye-1.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/05/sony-4k-hdr-tvs-and-ultra/

That Sony is a BD player with upscaling to UHD only. Not an actual UHD BD player.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-uhp-h1/

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/sony/p...s&utm_campaign=Alert&utm_content=pressrelease

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, a 930 without speakers?

Hopefully it comes in a 55" in the US and has low input lag as I want a console gaming tv for a bedroom

No UHD player makes no sense when the company has announced its own initial 4K BD slate...

Brandson

They really glossed over the "backlight master drive" bit. Is that what's in the X940D? It looks like a lot of backlight zones.

BradleyUK

I want the Vinyl player, A7 camera and the projector. I hoped the VR would get a look in this show and that was the biggest disappointed to me.

All that chatting really pissed me of though. 😬

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah all LCD offerings shown today are disappointment imo. LG really needs to get aggressive with their 4K OLEDs as they have a potentially huge upper hand, a.d speaking as an owner the difference is monumental.

Samsung today said btw they have no plans in the near future for OLED

Yeah all LCD offerings shown today are disappointment imo. LG really needs to get aggressive with their 4K OLEDs as they have a potentially huge upper hand, a.d speaking as an owner the difference is monumental.

Very curious about the price points as they are definitely the only thing that impressed me so far.

Brandson

None of these Sony tvs make me want to replace my 65" HX950. I don't know why they can't just keep selling that exact tv maybe with more zones and upgraded software. The design and picture quality is still great.

x3sphere

Samsung seems to be taking a different approach to OLED than LG, interestingly most (all?) the new laptops announced with OLED displays have Samsung panels.

Which was a surprise to me since LG said they were going to start producing smaller OLED displays a few weeks ago.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Any mid range Windows tablets been shown off? £300 tops.

WavekSra

Will Microsoft show a new iteration of Surface books? I'm just wonderin cause I'm planning to buy one before college this month.

So I'm probably not getting an OLED within the next two years unless I buy LG.

Samsung seems to be taking a different approach to OLED than LG, interestingly most (all?) the new laptops announced with OLED displays have Samsung panels.

Which was a surprise to me since LG said they were going to start producing smaller OLED displays a few weeks ago.

With the way the Samsung conglomerate is run, the divisions might be allowed to make separate decisions.

I haven't followed the laptops though; are they shipping now or soon? If LG only made the announcement several weeks ago, they might not be in a position to sell those panels yet.

oti

Banned
New Fitbit looks a little too Apple Watch.

wufkjpbfxsrepfrntwye.jpg

As someone who loved Fitbit (my first fitness tracker) I gotta say I'm very dissapointed. It's just like every other fitness watch out there. Maybe acitivity trackers are pretty much done as a product category nowadays.

I ditched my recently bought Fitbit Charge and just use Google Fit on my phone for step tracking.

addik

Just a question and a news tidbit(?):

Does Netflix announce shows during CES? 'cause Arrested Development's twitter account just retweeted this:

JQLYWrM.png

Should we be hyped GAF?

gatti-man

Same here. Feel bad for the early adopters.

Don't feel too bad. If you want a big TV they are all 4K anyways. A lot of us early adopters needed/wanted a big tv so 4K it was. It doesn't bother me one bit ill be upgrading again. I'll just go even bigger/better. I've got 80" right now really wanting OLED or FALD. Until then I'll sit with my pseudo 4K tv and be happy.

Oersted

BN-LZ151_0106PT_E_20160105180712.jpg

PetChatz HD With PawCall

What it is: A two-way video-conferencing system for pets

Look, the current crop of pet cams aren’t very fair. You can see what your furry friend is up to 24/7, but what if they have to get in touch with you? PetChatz understands the four-legged pain. The HD camera already had two-way video chat and an app-controlled treat dispenser. This year’s innovation? The PawCall accessory, which lets Fido initiate the call. When the pet-safe button is pressed, you’ll get a request on your smartphone or computer for a quick woof or meow—or more likely one of those delicious hidden treats. The PetChatz HD system is available now for $380. The PawCall will be available in February for an additional $100.

CES redeemed

Cyklops

Neo Member
Ok, think this is the best place to ask this, seeing as we are in full-swing with this Quantum Dot LCD/OLED era in display technology. I am going to preface by saying that I am no engineer, so pardon me if I sound like some layman in these topics.

With the new UHD Premium certification on dynamic range being one of two options (option 1 being higher peak brightness but higher black level for QD/LED LCD screens, and option 2 being lower peak brightness but lower black level for OLED screens), I am just trying to understand the engineering difficulties for creating a screen with the best of both QD LCD (higher peak brightness), and OLED (lower black levels). I understand that the cost of OLED screens is still quite high to manufacture, but is there display techs in the pipeline for the next few years with the hybrid properties of both OLED and QD LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom