• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo and GGG announce they will be fighting in September 2017.

Tubie

Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin just announced they will fight in September.

One of the most anticipated fights in Boxing is actually happening!

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/canelo-gennady-golovkin-agree-to-fight-moments-after-alvarez-beats-chavez/

Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) is a two-weight world champion, while Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) is the unified middleweight champion. GGG just fought Daniel Jacobs on March 18 in arguably the greatest test of his career, one in which he went to a 12-round decision for the first time.

Alvarez-Golovkin is set for Sept. 16 and will air live on HBO pay-per-view.

This should be one of the best fights in, at least, the last 10 years.

Tubie

They are the best middleweights in the world.

Fighting in their absolute prime.

They both hit like trucks and they both can take hits.

It's gonna be fucking crazy.

Rur0ni

They are the best middleweights in the world.

Fighting in their absolute prime.

They both hit like trucks and they both can take hits.

It's gonna be fucking crazy.
Well arguably Canelo is truly in his prime. GGG is 35, downhill is coming fast. But yeah, at least they aren't waiting too late to fight.

Tubie

Well arguably Canelo is truly in his prime. GGG is 35, downhill is coming fast. But yeah, at least they aren't waiting too late to fight.

Well my point is Canelo could've just waited 2 more years and then yea, father time would really fuck with GGG by then.

Right now tho, there are no excuses, so I respect Canelo for taking this fight right now.

GGG started his professional career late, he was 24. Plus middleweights and above tend to have longer primes than below. However GGG has taken a lot of punches due to his style, so it is something worth noting.

For real. It's infuriating.

Though I get it, the heavyweight division is what made the sport popular in the US at least. There's barely one left.

Hopefully we're in for a Heavyweight resurgence.

Farsi

I heard Directv will be offering a 30 year payment plan to order the fight.

Gonna be so worth it

v1lla21

Good shit. Definitely a tough test for Canelo. Can only see him walking out with a decision. Leagues above tonight's show. Lol.

Tubie

Nonsense.

I mean, as a long time fan of the sport I know Mayweather is one of the best boxer of all time, but a non fan of the sport didn't see that after so much hype for the Pac fight. They just saw a boring tactical fight.

So in a sense Boxing might be better now for the casual fan when we have mega fights like Canelo-GGG or Joshua-Wilder coming up.

It's funny how long people have been saying this shit.
Indeed.
The gods smile on us. This could be the most explosive fight at the elite level we've had in years.

My favorite zombie sport.
That's a good term for it. Boxing has been alive and good for a long time. A lot to like.
If anything, Mayweathers retirement has revived the sport.
I see your point, but don't agree.
For real. It's infuriating.

Though I get it, the heavyweight division is what made the sport popular in the US at least. There's barely one left.

I'll continue to enjoy it and make fun of those type of comments.

Tubie

Boxing is dead is a meme that long predates Mayweather tho, I do admit that.

They've been saying that since the 50s.

I mean, as a long time fan of the sport I know Mayweather is one of the best boxer of all time, but a non fan of the sport didn't see that after so much hype for the Pac fight. They just saw a boring tactical fight.

So in a sense Boxing might be better now for the casual fan when we have mega fights like Canelo-GGG or Joshua-Wilder coming up.

Mayweather was one of Boxing's biggest stars that constantly shined a spotlight on the sport. You always need stars especially if they're elite. You're arguing the entertainment value of the fight as opposed to the millions of people that consistently bought Mayweather PPV's and got mainstream media coverage.

kinggroin

Banned
Mayweather didn't hurt the sport, he helped it. His mega fight with Paquiao unfortunately for casual fans, wasn't a brawl.

Also, I see Canelo taking the decision over GGG

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh shit! I've been waiting for this fight for so long! GGG is gonna win but its gonna be a good fight.

2017 is already making good on 2016, a year boxing looked like it might die for good. There's already been so many good fights (Thurman/Garcia, GGG/Jacobs, Joshua/Klitschko), and the calendar has some of the biggest fights in the game coming later this year.

Also, it seems like the network/promoter civil war has thawed a bit. Last night we saw a dominant comeback from Argentinian badass Lucas Matthysee (a Goldenboy fighter) on a major HBO PPV event.

But the GGG / Alvarez fight is irresistible. I'm definitely going to see it live.

September crept up pretty quickly and it's already fight week.

I'm not sure if the Mayweather sideshow killed all hype for this fight but I feel like I haven't heard much about it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Farsi

I'm not sure if the Mayweather sideshow killed all hype for this fight but I feel like I haven't heard much about it.

The Mayweather McGregor thing did take a hit on it for sure, but I'm really hyped up. This fight is going to be special. Tension from the opening bell, both guys capable of knocking each other clean out.

norm9

$70 which is much more reasonable than the Money moneygrab "fight" a couple weeks ago, and this has the advantage of two top tier pugilists.

These two dudes are actually good fucking boxers so those looking for a good boxing match shouuld be hyped. I didn't see the Colin match as more than a circus cideshow

This is first big fight I can remember where I really like both fighters.

I'm probably more hyped for this fight than any I can remember.

Tubie

Do you guys think the winner fights Cotto early next year?

Cotto looked really good on his comeback fight.

As for this fight, I think it's pretty evenly matched, should be amazing to watch either way it goes tho.

Top Bottom