• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Syder

I'm just glad we got an amazing fight
(didn't top AJ/Wlad for FOTY for me though)
after such a long wait and will no doubt get a great rematch.

For me, both fighters proved their hype tonight and the only thing I'm salty about is the Byrd card. Just baffling.

Great year for boxing and we still have some really tasty match ups still to come.

Kinda funny how many people were in the May/Mac thread giving their hot takes saying McGregor was amazing/won many rounds and yet didn't turn up here tonight... 🤔

Fercho

Answer the question man. It's bullshit.

Don't take it personal, the score maybe bullshit but Canelo winning that judge is not. By that definition, the third scorecard with a plain draw is also bullshit? That judge was also bought and corrupted?

Tubie

I'm just glad we got an amazing fight
(didn't top AJ/Wlad for FOTY for me though)
after such a long wait and will no doubt get a great rematch.

For me, both fighters proved their hype tonight and the only thing I'm salty about is the Byrd card. Just baffling.

Great year for boxing and we still have some really tasty match ups still to come.

Kinda funny how many people were in the May/Mac thread giving their hot takes saying McGregor was amazing/won many rounds and yet didn't turn up here tonight... 🤔

At least both fighters will deservedly get a second big payday (not hindered by a carnival show 2 weeks before) out of this.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Rematch is going to be Ward vs Kovalev II. Canelo knows all of his tricks now and will basically start the fight at Round 13. And he'll win convincingly but man, I'll forever be salty about that bullshit result.

Syder

At least both fighters will deservedly get a second big payday (not hindered by a carnival show 2 weeks before) out of this.
Both fighters deservedly will've had their stock increased in the public eye by this fight.

Hopefully the rematch isn't close to any other big fights so it draws a massive box office. It'll certainly be interesting to see how this fight did on buys.

Quazar

He doesn't agree with 118-110 but thought it was a close fight. There. No conspiracy.

No he's living with hypotheticals and justifying how someone other then his witness can come to a conclusion. The score was bullshit. Who can make the defense for that? Not scooter or...anyone else.

Qvoth

Seems like ggg won is the more popular consensus, I'll try and watch the whole fight when I'm back to my computer I guess

Even Lennox Lewis and pacquiao have ggg winning

I all want to clear up is, I'm not mad it's a draw, but the fact that one the of the score is so lopsided that it is suspect in its​ judging.

No he's living with hypotheticals and justifying how someone other then his witness can come to a conclusion. The score was bullshit. Who can make the defense for that? Not scooter or...anyone else.

Plenty of people are doing it, but you are too dense to understand or comprehend that someone can view a completely subjective thing like a close boxing round differently than you. But keep replying with stubborn, nonsensical one sentence answers. You are really strengthening your case.

Tubie

So it begs the question...... Who will be the one to evolve from this right? What say you, BoxingGAF?

Canelo needs to work on his stamina at 160 A LOT.

GGG just needs to be more aggressive to the body and less afraid of a potential 1 hit KO counter coming from working Canelos body.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I all want to clear up is, I'm not mad it's a draw, but the fact that one the of the score is so lopsided that it is suspect in its​ judging.

Adalaide Byrd is known for her bad scores in both boxing and MMA. She's blood sports' Armond White.

Quazar

Plenty of people are doing it, but you are too dense to understand or comprehend that someone can view a completely subjective thing differently than you. But keep replying with shitty, nonsensical one sentence answers. You are really strengthening your case.

What is your case ? It was close? It wasn't. Welcome to boxing. As a judge who backed up the other opponent? That actually, typically, dictates lopsided scores.

Turin

Banned
Plenty of summit meetings and top level match ups in 2017.

Then there's Adonis Stevenson hugging his belt to sleep.

Tubie

This is the worst result possible for Cotto.

He was hoping for one side to come out winning convincingly, so he could challenge them and that be his retirement fight.

Fercho

So it begs the question...... Who will be the one to evolve from this right? What say you, BoxingGAF?

Honestly I think that if Canelo works in his stamina he can win the next match. He is also younger than GGG so he has an advantage there. At least winning by points, KOing GGG seems too much to ask.

If GGG starts hitting his body and Canelo is not prepared....aayyyy

Sentenza

Even as someone who had GGG as personal pick, I watched this surrounded by Canelo's fans who literally screamed in awe at everything good he did, so I walked away begrudgingly persuaded he slightly won the fight.
Then the scorecards confused me a bit and now I'm even more confused seeing how on the internet a lot of people (including a lot of Canelo supporters, apparently) had Golovkin clearly winning this.
Then I watched the punching stats.

I clearly need to rewatch this tomorrow, when I'm less tired (it started at 5:00 a.m in my country) and without the potentially misleading noise of the crowd around me.

Canelo needs to work on his stamina at 160 A LOT.

GGG just needs to be more aggressive to the body and less afraid of a potential 1 hit KO counter coming from working Canelos body.

I think Canelo has decent cardio but he relies on it coming back during the last few rounds (which may or may not persuade the judges).

For me, GGG is too vulnerable and relies alot of being a hard headed dude. It'll come back and bite him on the ass because he can't always absorb so many power punches.

Evolution:

Canelo - cardio and hesitation.
GGG - defense and aggression.

If Canelo committed to his combos, he could catch GGG. If GGG worked on his defenses, he could get a nice counter that would catch Canelo.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I just don't see how Canelo wins a rematch unless he improves his stamina and his strength. With the former, he can remain active and engaged throughout. He is the better technical fighter to me. I don't think he can get the latter. The problem is that if he stays engaged all fight, he will inevitably have to really go at it again with GGG--like say, the last round but way more often--and that is when the power difference will hurt him because at some point he will get caught flush. GGG will also but dude won't be fazed and will have less caution/respect.

Syder

Upcoming 2017 fights to be hyped for:
  1. Vasyl Lomachenko v Guillermo Rigondeaux
  2. Deontay Wilder v Luis Ortiz
  3. Anthony Joshua v Kubrat Pulev
  4. Joseph Parker v Hughie Fury
  5. Chris Eubank Jr. v Avni Yildirim
  6. George Groves v Jamie Cox

Tubie

Loma v Rigo is a deceiving fight tho.

Rigo is jumping 2 divisions up and I fear he wont really be a match.

That is no way a fair fight.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Loma v Rigo is a deceiving fight tho.

Rigo is jumping 2 divisions up and I fear he wont really be a match.

That is no way a fair fight.

That's my big fear. But at the same time the height difference isn't too big (two inches right?) and I think Rigo has longer reach. I dunno. Plus it's Guillermo Rigondeaux. Loved him to death even since he beat Donaire.

Syder

I don't get a lot of the Loma hype, it's too soon to rank him as high as some people do on P4P rankings, he really should be beating Rigondeaux though. If he somehow loses this fight the hype train isn't just derailed; it's fallen into a canyon and exploded.

Also, the Salido loss is a huge blemish on his record.

I don't get a lot of the Loma hype, it's too soon to rank him as high as some people do on P4P rankings, he really should be beating Rigondeaux though. If he somehow loses this fight the hype train isn't just derailed; it's fallen into a canyon and exploded.

Also, the Salido loss is a huge blemish on his record.

I think it's because he does things in the ring no one has seen before

Top Bottom