• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Tom_Cody

AAjMvbb.jpg

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez

bPTuPLB.jpg

Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin

Q7zVfPo.jpg

Fight Overview
Freak show over, the real fight is finally here
By Tim Dahlberg of The Associated Press

The freak show of a fight is over, and for that everyone in boxing should be glad. That Conor McGregor managed to make it into the 10th round against a retired 40-year-old who can't knock real boxers out isn't much to celebrate, unless you're McGregor's accountant. Now comes the real fight — and what a fight it will be.

Canelo Alvarez against Gennady Golovkin is as good as it gets in the Sweet Science, a sport that is in the midst of a renaissance of sorts. They meet Saturday night in a middleweight title clash as highly anticipated by boxing purists as was McGregor's challenge of Mayweather to UFC fans. Two fighters who both rank high on anyone's pound-for-pound list. One loss between them, with Golovkin's three middleweight belts on the line. And unlike Mayweather, they knock people out.

"It is not a fight," Golovkin said. "It is a war."

Whatever you call it, it shapes up as the most anticipated fight of the year in boxing. It's not too much of a stretch to say it might be the best middleweight clash since Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns engaged in their three-round classic more than 30 years ago. Styles really do make fights, and these are two fighters with explosive styles. "We're both going to fight a fight where anybody can win by knockout," Alvarez said. "We both have the power to win by knockout. But that's what makes for a great fight."

"I'm going to do my part to make it memorable so I can go down in history as one of the best fighters," Alvarez said.

Alvarez is already a superstar in his native Mexico, the most celebrated boxer in a boxing-mad country. He does beer commercials with Sylvester Stallone and has been a steady pay-per-view draw, with his 2013 loss to Mayweather checking in as the fourth most watched pay-per-view of all time. Now the charismatic redhead is a full-fledged middleweight, after waiting nearly two years to agree to meet Golovkin while he moved up from 154 pounds. He'll need to bring the power that has gotten him 34 knockouts against Golovkin, a former amateur star from Kazakhstan now living in Los Angeles who has knocked out 33 opponents in winning all 37 of his pro fights.

The fight is a rarity in boxing, two stars in their prime meeting in a fight that will likely define both their careers. It's a huge risk for both, but the rewards should be good, too, with purses north of $10 million. Golovkin is making his 19th title defense, one off the record of 20 in the middleweight division set by Bernard Hopkins. He has done it fighting everywhere but in the boxing capital of the world, where he will make his debut against Alvarez at Las Vegas' new T-Mobile Arena.

The fight is a showcase of all that's good about boxing, a sport that is enjoying a good run in recent months. It's the best against the best in their prime in a fight fans have been clamoring to see.

And there will be no excuses no matter which way it goes.

Where/When

The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 16, 2017, live on PPV at 8pm EST. The main event should begin sometime after 11pm EST.

Complete international TV listings [link]

Estimated Ring Walk times (EST):

8:10pm - Ryan Martin vs Francisco Rojo
8:50pm - Randy Caballero vs Diego De La Hoya
10:00pm - Joseph Diaz Jr vs Jorge Lara
11:00pm - Saul Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin

t1505606400z1.png

The Belt

This magnificent and unique Huichol belt, which reflects the heritage of an entire culture that has remained intact through time, tells an individual tale, while equally representing the flags of Mexico and Kazakhstan. Artist Luis de la Cruz worked over 300 hours alongside his brother Sergio, to achieve this. Both of them managed to capture the essence of two great boxing nations.

QcUxxf3.jpg

GIFS

YawningConsciousChimneyswift-max-14mb.gif

FrigidAlarmingGuineafowl-max-14mb.gif

LankyDampFalcon-max-14mb.gif

FancyAmazingDassierat-max-14mb.gif

Hype Videos

24/7: Canelo/Golovkin Episode 1 - Full Show (HBO Boxing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrdGoqt_Wv4

24/7: Canelo/Golovkin Episode 2 - Full Show (HBO Boxing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHDAf0pdAk

I Am Boxing (full movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWF6NMF2X3g

Under the Lights: Canelo vs. Golovkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykpVko-omE

Gennady Golovkin Vs Canelo Alvarez Promo (Hancho Boxing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHF6D7t5Jlc

Golovkin vs Canelo | GP Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPI7WVI9lE

Pushing for Canelo but I just want a great fight that is going to lead to a rematch or trilogy. Boxing needs another good rivalry like that.

Also OP you didn't even post the best Canelo/Kirkland gif, where he sends dude to the Crossroads (crossroads)

GpT3qN.gif

kikiribu

Already a better fight than Floyd v McGregor and it hasn't even happened yet.

I do think this will end in a KO.

norm9

Boyo, ready for some real boxing after that sideshow from a few weeks ago. I love Canelo, but GGG is unstoppable. I'll still put my money on Canelo though. Viva Mexico!

Is there an HBO/showtime type hype reality training show and is it on yet? There must be. It's mandatory watching to get pumped.

Awesome OT. As much as I enjoyed Mayweather/McGregor as a spectacle, it wasn't a match to look forward to like this one is.

Should be a hell of a match.

mnannola

Hype is thru the roof for this fight. Both fighters have been killing it the last few years. Going to go with GGG by late round KO.

DMczaf

Pushing for Canelo but I just want a great fight that is going to lead to a rematch or trilogy. Boxing needs another good rivalry like that.

Also OP you didn't even post the best Canelo/Kirkland gif, where he sends dude to the Crossroads (crossroads)

GpT3qN.gif

Why does he look like he's at peace with his life before he even hits the ground.

Boyo, ready for some real boxing after that sideshow from a few weeks ago. I love Canelo, but GGG is unstoppable. I'll still put my money on Canelo though. Viva Mexico!

Is there an HBO/showtime type hype reality training show and is it on yet? There must be. It's mandatory watching to get pumped.

HBO had a 2 episode 24/7 that aired for this and it was very good IMO.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This should be a spectacular fight. Looking forward to it. I have Canelo - not many don't! - but it should be really good no matter how it goes.

studyguy

Years late but finally. De La Hoya made us wait long enough for this to finally happen.
Had to let GGG age a bit I'd imagine so Golden Boy's golden goose had a better shot.

Hoping for a great fight that results in a GGG victory and a rematch within the next year as I think only Canelo is guaranteed a rematch if he loses.

Concur with whoever said the best case scenario is a rivalry worthy of a trilogy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Probably the best boxing fight this year. I can't wait. Not sure who will win, I guess my heart is with Canelo.

norm9

HBO had a 2 episode 24/7 that aired for this and it was very good IMO.

That's great. His first 24/7 has the story of his upbringing in the poorest town imaginable. This dude is living the dream of punching people, getting oaid, and essentially being sponsored by the best Mexican beer Tecate

To count out GGG of all people? Fucking hell, dude is a monster but these two are great to watch full stop. Canelo dropping Khan was the best moment in boxing for some time, you could see Khan's soul leave at the moment of impact.

First big fight in memory where I really like both guys - unfortunately I'm sure the lack of a Floyd-type personality has hurt the hype for the fight.

pixelation

Time to find out if father time has gotten to Golovkin or he was just bamboozling Canelo into taking the fight. Should be one heck of a match either way!

PR_rambo

Banned
Canelo is top 10 All time if he can pull this out.
Nah not really. Going to need to stay on top for a long while.

It will make him the early favorite for best of this Era after Mayweather and Pac though.

Anyway, got Canelo winning, better boxer overall. He's actually someone that excels at counter punching even though he's regarded as a knockout artist.

Top Bottom