• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Tom_Cody

The Khan KO was satisfying as fuck.
I know it was a squash match, but I can watch that gif forever.

ClosedRecentAlligatorsnappingturtle-max-14mb.gif

Tom_Cody

lol giving 6, 8 and 9 to Canelo

Go watch a re-play of those rounds and let me know if you still think Golovkin dominated them. Round 9 if I remember correctly is where Canelo landed that monster uppercut. Also in a few of those rounds Canelo would win the first minute and half to 2 minutes and then Golovkin would come on. On initial view it did seem that Golovkin won the rounds mentioned.
Everyone is so quick to cry robbery. I personally had it 8-4 GGG, but ya'll should just be happy you got an exciting competitive fight. We can all look forward to the rematch.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Good fight I thought it could have gone either way. So will the Canelo detractors finally stop with the 'he's a fake, product of Televisa blah, blah'? They both took each other's punches really well.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Everyone is so quick to cry robbery. I personally had it 8-4 GGG, but ya'll should just be happy you got an exciting competitive fight. We can all look forward to the rematch.

I believe that a big influencing factor are the commentators and Harold Lederman's scorecard. Thought it was awful but he is consistent in that fact that he typically scores it for the aggressor. Add in that awful 118 - 110 scorecard. Plus you already had people thinking before the fight that if it went to the scorecards there is no way Golovkin would get this decision. I agree that it was exciting competitive fight and Im there with you on the rematch.

I think is more about not giving credit to a fighter they have fooled themselves into thinking isn't any good. For them is not acceptable that Canelo is a great fighter. Then, there's Teddy Atlas who apparently wants to lead an oversight board on boxing or something, using this to push his agenda.

The worst about Byrd's card wasn't the discrepancy, but the fact that it gives all these lazy media members an easy excuse to not talk about boxing and push things they are more comfortable with, controversy. Ultimately her wide margin isn't even relevant. A judge scored for Canelo, another for GGG, and Trella saw a tied contest. A close fight was called a draw. Corruption!!!!

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think is more about not giving credit to a fighter they have fooled themselves into thinking isn't any good. For them is not acceptable that Canelo is a great fighter. Then, there's Teddy Atlas who apparently wants to lead an oversight board on boxing or something, using this to push his agenda.

The worst about Byrd's card wasn't the discrepancy, but the fact that it gives all these lazy media members an easy excuse to not talk about boxing and push things they are more comfortable with, controversy. Ultimately her wide margin isn't even relevant. A judge scored for Canelo, another for GGG, and Trella saw a tied contest. A close fight was called a draw. Corruption!!!!

Exactly some Canelo detractors were so blinded by their dislike for him that they convinced themselves that he was a totally manufactured product of del la hoya and Televisa and now that this fight proved otherwise. They are losing their shit.

Can't wait for the rematch!

neoanarch

The one for GGG was 115-113 too... Critics seem hellbent on overlooking a close fight because one judge. I wonder why they have three judges at all!

edit:Be Bolder! Fuckoff NBC.

Quake1028

Of the media and personality scores 51 have GGG win, 7 draw and 4 Canelo. The 4 for Canelo are 2 Golden Boy promoters and 2 other Mexican boxers.

No one who scored the fight for Canelo knows a thing about boxing.

He had no A tier opponents, that's hardly a spin. Jacobs was his best opponent and he ain't A level by any standard.

Alvarez was his first test for greatness and Golovkin failed.

I rest my case. Shit's embarrassing at this point.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Here are more a few observations I made when I watch the replay.

- GGG has a really good jab
- Nice body work from Canelo. Should have kept it up
- Both had really good defenses.
- In between rounds GGG was huffing and puffing heavily but during the rounds he didnt stop coming forward.
- The extra weight on Canelo made him a tad slower and he was exhausted by the end of the fight.
- We knew GGG had an iron chin and he took some shots, Canelo was able to take GGG punches.

No one who scored the fight for Canelo knows a thing about boxing.

LOL, what a dumb statement to make

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here are more a few observations I made when I watch the replay.

- GGG has a really good jab
- Nice body work from Canelo. Should have kept it up
- Both had really good defenses.
- In between rounds GGG was huffing and puffing heavily but during the rounds he didnt stop coming forward.
- The extra weight on Canelo made him a tad slower and he was exhausted by the end of the fight.
- We knew GGG had an iron chin and he took some shots, Canelo was able to take GGG punches.

LOL, what a dumb statement to make

People went into this saying GGG would be exposed and had no chin.

mnannola

Really pissed that this great fight was ruined by the draw and that crazy ass 118-110 card. All great sports matches should have a winner and a loser. GGG should have won.

Really pissed that this great fight was ruined by the draw and that crazy ass 118-110 card. All great sports matches should have a winner and a loser. GGG should have won.
It was not ruined. Also, I know learn that NFL, football aren't great sports because they can end in a draw.

The draw doesn't bother me as much as 118-110. Believing that Gennady only won 2 rounds is disrespectful. Then again everyone has an opinion.
x3nSH87.png

Trouble

Banned
4. Chavez Jr.
5. Khan (or Kirkland, I don't know. I don't rate Kirkland)

Haha, Chavez Jr, that's a good one.
Amir Khan should be fighting at Light Welterweight not Middleweight lol.

That fight was embarrassing. Canelo not sitting down between rounds was extra humiliation. Not only did Chavez get his ass kicked, but Canelo wasn't even putting in full effort.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
That fight was embarrassing. Canelo not sitting down between rounds was extra humiliation. Not only did Chavez get his ass kicked, but Canelo wasn't even putting in full effort.

That was the worst humiliation I've ever seen. I remember Canelo dropping his hands on multiple occasions basically inviting Chavez jr. to come at him saying I'm giving you chance, show me what you got.

HiResDes

Khan is actually a much better boxer than people are giving him credit for, he just went up in weight too fast, but if you watch that bout up until then you could have still scored the fight for Khan. Lomachenko should really be fighting Rigo at a catchweight, it's kind of bullshit to expect to move up so much and it be an even fight. Rigo is also like 36 IIRC.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Khan is pretty underrated. He's got massive heart but he was too chinny in the end. He showed tremendous courage vs Danny Garcia. Never backed down, even when he was getting battered and knocked to the canvas repeatedly.

Khan is actually a much better boxer than people are giving him credit for, he just went up in weight too fast, but if you watch that bout up until then you could have still scored the fight for Khan. Lomachenko should really be fighting Rigo at a catchweight, it's kind of bullshit to expect to move up so much and it be an even fight. Rigo is also like 36 IIRC.
I think the weight will bite Rigo in the ass. I know he's supremely confident, but he's giving up too much in my opinion. On the other hand, there's no other fight out there for him really, and he is getting up there.

Beefy

Khan is pretty underrated. He's got massive heart but he was too chinny in the end. He showed tremendous courage vs Danny Garcia. Never backed down, even when he was getting battered and knocked to the canvas repeatedly.

I also like Khan.

He has skills and takes chances.

But he does have a glass jaw.

Khan also is annoying as fuck. Guy chats shit and calls out other fighters then gets knocked out . He fights and beats bums and then thinks he deserves a title shot. I guess if you don't live in the UK you don't see all the coverage he use to get.

That and the guy has no punch power at all.

Sentenza

As a follow up to this:

Even as someone who had GGG as personal pick, I watched this surrounded by Canelo's fans who literally screamed in awe at everything good he did, so I walked away begrudgingly persuaded he slightly won the fight.
Then the scorecards confused me a bit and now I'm even more confused seeing how on the internet a lot of people (including a lot of Canelo supporters, apparently) had Golovkin clearly winning this.
Then I watched the punching stats.

I clearly need to rewatch this tomorrow, when I'm less tired (it started at 5:00 a.m in my country) and without the potentially misleading noise of the crowd around me.
I just rewatched the fight right now and yes, I'm a bit ashamed to admit I was definitely conditioned by the atmosphere there.

Being sleepy and surrounded by people who screamed "Yes, kill that little bitch! Put him down!" every time Canelo thrown anything or "Masterful dodge! Nothing landed there!" even when he was clearly hit made me see the fight far more favorable to Canelo that it actually was.
Still a tremendous performance from both athletes, but I re-scored it today (after watching it on a far better TV as well, rather than the old scrap we used to watch it our gym) and I would give at least a two rounds lead to the Kazakh.

It was also a far better fight overall than it seemed yesterday to me. Not a slugfest, sure, but definitely a great display of skill on both sides.

EDIT- bottom line is: I initially thought one guy won, then I changed my mind on a second vision, so I can see the argument for a draw. There's still no way to justify that 118-110 from Byrd.
Even Golden Boy representatives seemed deeply embarrassed by it at the post-fight press conference.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EDIT- bottom line is: I initially thought one guy won, then I changed my mind on a second vision, so I can see the argument for a draw. There's still no way to justify that 118-110 from Byrd.
Even Golden Boy representatives seemed deeply embarrassed by it at the post-fight press conference.

Judges are supposed to be better than scoring a match like a random person would watching the fight at the gym surrounded by fans of one fighter, so not really justified to see this as a draw after a rewatch.

The judge scored it stupid because she is corrupt, and she might not be the only one who did, and if a non corrupt judge had been there it would have likely been a victory for GGG, as it should be.

I might have to watch it again but a draw was were I was at. Canelo impressed me but his stamina and inactivity on the ropes stopped him getting the nod for me. Hopefully in the rematch he can get his conditioning down and maintain his attacks.

Great fight overall but it didn't top Joshua/Klitchsko or Jack/Degale (both fights tied for me) for fight of the year.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
5th round on the ropes. He took a massive shot and nodded his head.

Ah, yes, I remember now. Good that it caught him more on the backside of the head and not jaw though. As far as nodding, that stuff doesn't sell me. Most times boxers nod, they are definitely feeling it.

Haunted

Funny that what some people were expecting to happen for the carny freakshow fight (rigged judging securing a profitable rematch) now happened for the supposed "real" fight.

Might be some people getting rich off of this, but the sport will absolutely never overcome its perception problems with such judging either way.

That said, from a pure boxing perspective it was by all accounts a good fight. Just need to get rid of the corruption in the system that makes most of this feel meaningless, shallow and unfair. Not satisfying.

edit: autocorrect turned "boxing" into "fixing" automatically, can't make that shit up 😂

Khan also is annoying as fuck. Guy chats shit and calls out other fighters then gets knocked out . He fights and beats bums and then thinks he deserves a title shot. I guess if you don't live in the UK you don't see all the coverage he use to get.

That and the guy has no punch power at all.

Pretty much. Nobody in the UK likes him because he's been riding off that silver medal his entire career. His first professional fight saw him gdt knocked out in 20 seconds that was after the media an fest.

Guy repeatedly fights bums and somehow gets title shots and thinks he's up there with the best. There's even a YouTube compilation of him getting knocked out. How many top boxers have a video of them getting knocked out lol.

Khan's a clown

Moze

Banned
Pretty much. Nobody in the UK likes him because he's been riding off that silver medal his entire career. His first professional fight saw him gdt knocked out in 20 seconds that was after the media an fest.

Guy repeatedly fights bums and somehow gets title shots and thinks he's up there with the best. There's even a YouTube compilation of him getting knocked out. How many top boxers have a video of them getting knocked out lol.

Khan's a clown

Khan has beat some very good opposition. Maidana, Barrera and Zab Judah are the obvious ones that come to mind. It's hard to argue against his record. Is it the absolute best record? No. But it is very respectable imo. He is a very skilled boxer with an unfortunate chin. There aren't many boxers who can outbox him consistently.

He also didn't get KO'd in his first professional fight.

I can't disagree he is abit of an arrogant cock though. And i can't disagree the media hyped him up so much during his early career. But he did recover from that early KO and went on to have some huge fights, many of which he won.

I am of the opinion Floyd ducked Khan abit. I don't think he wanted it with Khan.

Top Bottom