• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Moze

Banned
golovkin ate all of canelo's punches like it was nothing.

Are you suggesting Canelo didn't do the same? There was no point in the fight where any of GGG's shots done any damage to Canelo. And he hit him with some powerful shots.

TuXx

Are you suggesting Canelo didn't do the same? There was no point in the fight where any of GGG's shots done any damage to Canelo. And he hit him with some powerful shots.

No, but there were a couple of shots that caught Canelo's attention and made him back up for awhile. A lot of times he kept trying to run the clock without even trying to engage to steal a round.

I think GGG was the aggressor the entire night, judges imo fucked up.. especially that 118-110 nonsense.

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily win you the round unless the other guy does nothing in return. Many of the all time greats were counter-punchers whose gameplan revolved around the opponent coming forward and throwing the first punch.

I for one think that

1) Golovkin has slowed down a bit (but not enough for it to be an excuse for not winning tonight)

2) Golovkin's been demystified. Alvarez is his only A tier opponent and Golovkin couldn't beat him. Come on, he is absolutely not as good as advertised and profited from a poor division. People who compare him to Hagler and the likes need to step back.

Counter-punchers generally do better in rematches because they got their opponent timed. Golovkin's relentless pressure makes for entertaining fights but be real, the guy is a bit one-dimensional and he's in his mid 30s. He ain't gonna change shit come the rematch. Canelo already proved to be more versatile, more skilled, more defenseively gifted, more accurate, but a bit less busy, which I don't think is that big a deal. Canelo will handily win the rematch, especially if he waits another 9-12 months with Golovkin steadily slowing down due to age.

yuraya

I didn't think Golovkin had the endurance to go 12 against a young fighter like Canelo in this style of a fight. Not only did he have it but Canelo actually looked more tired than him for many of those rounds. Pretty crazy. At that age to just keep coming at him like that over and over again while throwing 700 punches. Relentless Kazakh conditioning.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
He had no A tier opponents, that's hardly a spin. Jacobs was his best opponent and he ain't A level by any standard.

Alvarez was his first test for greatness and Golovkin failed.

So the second test for greatness that Canelo has failed?

He had no A tier opponents, that's hardly a spin. Jacobs was his best opponent and he ain't A level by any standard.

Alvarez was his first test for greatness and Golovkin failed.

This wouldn't have anything to do with everyone ducking him for years. Or fighters like COUGH COUGH Alvarez COUGH dropping a belt to avoid fighting him in his prime.

So the second test for greatness that Canelo has failed?

*shrug* Mayweather is better. Golovkin about as good as Canelo at 160. Lara fight was close. Overall Canelo has a good resume and will go down as a very good, maybe great fighter when all is said and done. He is a P4P top 10 boxer at the moment and absolutely A tier. 160 is not his weight class and he withstood the contemporary champ. Last night's fight did not hurt Canelo's legacy because his 154 resume has some impressive depth and he was the slight underdog. Golovkin's legacy ain't so hot in comparison. In 20 years who'll go crazy over the guy whose best wins are Jacobs, Murray, Lemieux? Golovkin's career reminds me of Tyson's without getting upset by an underdog and without ever stepping up for the big fights. KOing second rate fighter spectacularly with an in-your-face style that's entertaining for most people.

Jumeira

Banned
I didn't think Golovkin had the endurance to go 12 against a young fighter like Canelo in this style of a fight. Not only did he have it but Canelo actually looked more tired than him for many of those rounds. Pretty crazy. At that age to just keep coming at him like that over and over again while throwing 700 punches. Relentless Kazakh conditioning.

Ridiculous genes too id imagine.

Ikuu

*shrug* Mayweather is better. Golovkin about as good as Canelo at 160. Lara fight was close. Overall Canelo has a good resume and will go down as a very good, maybe great fighter when all is said and done. He is a P4P top 10 boxer at the moment and absolutely A tier. 160 is not his weight class and he withstood the contemporary champ. Last night's fight did not hurt Canelo's legacy because his 154 resume has some impressive depth and he was the slight underdog. Golovkin's legacy ain't so hot in comparison. In 20 years who'll go crazy over the guy whose best wins are Jacobs, Murray, Lemieux? Golovkin's career reminds me of Tyson's without getting upset by an underdog and without ever stepping up for the big fights. KOing second rate fighter spectacularly with an in-your-face style that's entertaining for most people.

Impressive resume lol Cotto and a gifted decision against Lara, oh he beat a 41 year old Mosley too lol.

Impressive resume lol Cotto and a gifted decision against Lara, oh he beat a 41 year old Mosley too lol.

Nice salt. I thought the bitterness on the internet over a Canelo win would keep me up these nights, but a draw did the job too.

Canelo's best wins:

1. Cotto
2. Lara (controversial but about as much of a robbery as tonight's fight)
3. Trout
4. Chavez Jr.
5. Khan (or Kirkland, I don't know. I don't rate Kirkland)

That's a good resume. Golovkin's best wins? Jacobs, Lemieux, Geale, Murray, no idea, other than Jacobs his opponents are all kinda similar in terms of skill level.

Ikuu

4. Chavez Jr.

Haha, Chavez Jr, that's a good one.
Amir Khan should be fighting at Light Welterweight not Middleweight lol.

Oxn

Nice salt. I thought the bitterness on the internet over a Canelo win would keep me up these nights, but a draw did the job too.

Canelo's best wins:

1. Cotto
2. Lara (controversial but about as much of a robbery as tonight's fight)
3. Trout
4. Chavez Jr.

That's a good resume. Golovkin's best wins? Jacobs, Lemieux, Geale, Murray, no idea, other than Jacobs his opponents are all kinda similar in terms of skill level.
Lol

Gifted decision? This is how you know someone doesn't respect the sport. Canelo fighting Lara has nothing to do with gifts. It was a risky fight, it was not a money fight, fight with only downsides in a sport that any fight can be your last is no gift. The fight was close but I disagree with your judgement that Canelo was gifted the decision, close yes, gifted? C'mon.

Golovkin did lose a lot more from the draw tbh.

He's the bigger, heavier, taller, longer armed guy with more power and couldn't trouble or hurt a bulked up welterweight who got tired from carrying the extra pounds to make the fight at middleweight, and just couldn't do anything significant in the fight.

On the other hand, Canelo moved up, took big punches from one of the most respected punchers in that division and waved them off, looking like the better fighter when he had the fuel. When he had the stamina, he was ripping Golovkin from the first bell. The moment he gassed and had no pop left in his punches Golovkin could just walk and throw as he liked with the weight and size difference. And even then he wasn't dominating Canelo.

Put it this way, if Golovkin was a true welterweight like Canelo, Golovkin would get destroyed. If Canelo was a true middleweight like Golovkin, Golovkin would still get destroyed.

My point is, when their handicaps are put into the equation, Canelo did better than Golovkin.

KahooTs

Of the media and personality scores 51 have GGG win, 7 draw and 4 Canelo. The 4 for Canelo are 2 Golden Boy promoters and 2 other Mexican boxers.

GGG will never get a decision against Canelo, that's proven now, and I can't see him knocking Canelo out. Canelo handled his power, has great defence and knows he can back up and slip left for 12 rounds and won't be in danger of losing on decision. So I don't see how GGG wins the rematch.

Anticol

Banned
I know mexicans are bias, but come on you guys can not seriously say that was a win or a draw for Canelo. All the media in Mexico is saying this fight was Canelo's and that there was nothing controversial about it, like WTF, how deluded can you be?

Remember, these people are the ones who also believe Mexico are contenders in every world cup.

Heysoos

I know mexicans are bias, but come on you guys can not seriously say that was a win or a draw for Canelo. All the media in Mexico is saying this fight was Canelo's and that there was nothing controversial about it, like WTF, how deluded can you be?

Remember, these people are the ones who also believe Mexico are contenders in every world cup.

lol oh please, I like how you had to throw in the soccer shade in there too for no apparent reason.

Gennady benefitted from last night by winning a lot of Mexican fans. I love how he said he "wanted a Mexican fight." Implying Canelo wasn't fighting Mexican style of aggression. At the end of the night a crowd that was cheering Canelo was cheering for GGG during the interviews with Canelo getting some boos.

I'm good with the draw; neither guy dominated, both had their moments, I would say that Canelo has more of those moments. He countered Golovkin with some great shots that probably would have dropped lesser fighters, and he shrugged off or slipped Golovkin's best stuff. He also did great bodywork, something that GGG is known for too but was sorely lacking in this fight. Everyone that I've spoken to that thought GGG won point to his aggressiveness, but I just don't think he took advantage of it.

I'm good with the draw; neither guy dominated, both had their moments, I would say that Canelo has more of those moments. He countered Golovkin with some great shots that probably would have dropped lesser fighters, and he shrugged off or slipped Golovkin's best stuff. He also did great bodywork, something that GGG is known for too but was sorely lacking in this fight. Everyone that I've spoken to that thought GGG won point to his aggressiveness, but I just don't think he took advantage of it.

I enjoyed the fight and the draw wasn't an unexpected result. Canelo had most of the highlights, but GGG was more consistent throughout the fight. Neither did enough to win it though.

The 118 - 110 score was offensively bad and stinks.

bionic77

Fun fight.

Not surprised by the draw. It was close enough that some bullshit was bound to occur.

Biggest surprise was how easily they took each others shots.

Though maybe they were not going all the way into their punches because of respect for the other guy.

I expect the rematch to have both guys taking more chances. We will of course get a rubber match to decide it once and for all.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Had a chance to watch the a replay without any commentary and score the fight. When watching it live I thought it was close but would have given the edge to GGG.

Here is my score based off the replay -

1 - Golovkin
2 - Canelo
3 - Canelo
4 - Golovkin
5 - Golovkin
6 - Canelo
7 - Golovkin
8 - Canelo
9 - Canelo
10 - Golovkin
11 - Canelo
12 - Canelo

115 - 113 Canelo

Some of the rounds were close, I had to re-watch some of them to get the round right. Obviously the judges dont have this luxury and do it live. I agree that the 118-110 score was absurd. With that being said it was a good fight and I am eager for the rematch.

Had a chance to watch the a replay without any commentary and score the fight. When watching it live I thought it was close but would have given the edge to GGG.

Here is my score based off the replay -

1 - Golovkin
2 - Canelo
3 - Canelo
4 - Golovkin
5 - Golovkin
6 - Canelo
7 - Golovkin
8 - Canelo
9 - Canelo
10 - Golovkin
11 - Canelo
12 - Canelo

115 - 113 Canelo

Some of the rounds were close, I had to re-watch some of them to get the round right. Obviously the judges dont have this luxury and do it live. I agree that the 118-110 score was absurd. With that being said it was a good fight and I am eager for the rematch.

lol giving 6, 8 and 9 to Canelo

Thanks for that insight.

I wasn't aware boxing was scored in one universal way. People are impressionable in very different ways, and this was another example in a long list of that in this sport.

There's a universal way for scoring in boxing. Maybe the OP for other boxing fights should have this to inform the discussion a little bit.
http://coolmaterial.com/feature/how-to-score-a-boxing-match/

The scoring system used in professional boxing is called the 10-Point Must System. These are the basics for scoring a round:

Judges score on a 10-point scale. Most rounds will end 10-9, with the more dominant boxer receiving 10 points, the other receiving 9.
If a boxer is knocked down, he loses a point. If a boxer is knocked down twice, he loses two points. If both fighters are knocked down, the knockdowns cancel each other out.
While uncommon, if a fighter completely dominates a round but doesn’t score a knockdown, a judge can still score that round 10-8.
If a judge deems the round completely even, both fighters receive 10 points.
When the referee sees fit, he can take away a point or two for an intentional foul; he can do the same for unintentional ones, but that usually occurs after at least a warning.

While you’d probably do well relying on the eyeball test to determine the winner of each round, it helps to know what a judge is looking for. These are the things that help determine which fighter won a round:

Effective Aggression – Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it’s not exactly “effective.” Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands his punches and avoids those from his opponent.

Ring Generalship – The fighter who controls the action and enforces his will and style.

Defense – How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.

Hard and Clean Punches – To the untrained eye, it can appear as if a boxer is landing a lot of shots, when, in fact, most are being blocked or aren’t landing flush. A judge needs to look for hard shots that land clean.

akileese

Yeah. 8-9 Canelo spent the entire round on the ropes getting hit over and over. He wasn't working nearly enough to warrant a 10-9 unless you give him points for good defending and that's not how this works. 5 and 6 were the rounds where people thought GGG finally showed up to the fight so giving Canelo 6 seems like a stretch as well.

Turin

Banned
Canelo is a better overall fighter than GGG. He has more tools at his disposal and gives you variety.

His main Achilles heel has always been his stamina. If he would've retain that energy for two or three more rounds, he would've clearly won the fight, and him bulking up only exposed that weakness even further. Once he got tired, his power shots became less effective and GGG was just walking through everything and out working him.

Pretty similar to my thoughts. GGG got the better of it on my card but I think a more consistent Canelo can beat Golovkin. He also needs to employ that sneaky body work with more regularity.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium

Go watch a re-play of those rounds and let me know if you still think Golovkin dominated them. Round 9 if I remember correctly is where Canelo landed that monster uppercut. Also in a few of those rounds Canelo would win the first minute and half to 2 minutes and then Golovkin would come on. On initial view it did seem that Golovkin won the rounds mentioned.

Top Bottom