• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Qvoth

I'm actually not worried the 2nd fight as long as it happens next year, if 2019 then I'll start to worry for ggg
Next fight ggg just needs to output more body shots and combos that involve body shots

Khan has beat some very good opposition. Maidana, Barrera and Zab Judah are the obvious ones that come to mind. It's hard to argue against his record. Is it the absolute best record? No. But it is very respectable imo. He is a very skilled boxer with an unfortunate chin. There aren't many boxers who can outbox him consistently.

He also didn't get KO'd in his first professional fight.

I can't disagree he is abit of an arrogant cock though. And i can't disagree the media hyped him up so much during his early career. But he did recover from that early KO and went on to have some huge fights, many of which he won.

I am of the opinion Floyd ducked Khan abit. I don't think he wanted it with Khan.

ok after fighting a bunch of bums in his first PPV he got knocked out. I remember the sky box office cringe worthy adverts. Boxers don't need to out box him, as soon as he comes up against some one decent, he gets knocked out.

Macleoid

I know it was a squash match, but I can watch that gif forever.

ClosedRecentAlligatorsnappingturtle-max-14mb.gif

lol that's the ur-gif for canvasback...

Heard that GGG wants to fight again (against someone else of course) before the end of the year. Canelo says he's done for 2017. Hopefully GGG doesn't fuck up and throw away a chance at a May 2018 rematch.

Alvarez won't be getting back in the ring until CDM and Golovkin wants all the 160 belts so BJS is the only - well, best - option if he wants to stay active between now and then. In all likelihood, he will take the time off to rest instead, likely with the hope that the rematch will be May 2018 at the latest.

The real question is whether Canelo's camp will even accept a May 2018 rematch. I personally doubt it. My suspicion and prediction is that GB will throw money at BJS to set up a title bout to get his WBO strap in May '18, pushing GGG off to September '18, which would age Golovkin by another full year and allow the rematch to be billed as a full unification. BJS will take a Canelo fight before he'll take a GGG fight, obviously. If I'm being really cynical then I'd say they'll throw an in-house fighter at Alvarez in September '18 instead to give him a defense, someone like Lemieux, and push the rematch to May '19. Golovkin would be 37 by then - hell, maybe have picked up a loss, who knows - and Alvarez would likely be at or just entering the apex of his prime and fully accustomed to life at 160lbs.

This outcome would be sadly unsurprising - big rematches have been dragged out longer than that. As transparent as it would be, GB stands to gain too much when all they have to do is take the easily defensible route of 'get last strap needed for unification --> one defense --> full unification rematch.' They deflected way more shit for taking so long the first time around, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Alvarez won't be getting back in the ring until CDM and Golovkin wants all the 160 belts so BJS is the only - well, best - option if he wants to stay active between now and then. In all likelihood, he will take the time off to rest instead, likely with the hope that the rematch will be May 2018 at the latest.

The real question is whether Canelo's camp will even accept a May 2018 rematch. I personally doubt it. My suspicion and prediction is that GB will throw money at BJS to set up a title bout to get his WBO strap in May '18, pushing GGG off to September '18, which would age Golovkin by another full year and allow the rematch to be billed as a full unification. BJS will take a Canelo fight before he'll take a GGG fight, obviously. If I'm being really cynical then I'd say they'll throw an in-house fighter at Alvarez in September '18 instead to give him a defense, someone like Lemieux, and push the rematch to May '19. Golovkin would be 37 by then - hell, maybe have picked up a loss, who knows - and Alvarez would likely be at or just entering the apex of his prime and fully accustomed to life at 160lbs.

This outcome would be sadly unsurprising - big rematches have been dragged out longer than that. As transparent as it would be, GB stands to gain too much when all they have to do is take the easily defensible route of 'get last strap needed for unification --> one defense --> full unification rematch.' They deflected way more shit for taking so long the first time around, this wouldn't surprise me at all.
Billy Joe was calling GGG out on Twitter today.

I fully expect Oscar to dodge GG until 2019.

If its not may that would be lame and most will accuse again of ducking and waiting till ggg ages. I hope that isnt the case. Although ironically ggg didn't look tired at all and canelo did.

greyshark

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a third - both fights seemed similar and I feel like the next one would play out the same way. GGG is getting up there as well.

Brilliant fight. That was extremely tough to call. Felt it was way more of a draw than the first fight. Can't help but feel heartbroken for Golovkin as he walked away during the post-match interview. Canelo is a worthy champion though. It's hard to believe a fighter came up in weight to challenge Golovkin and go toe-to-toe with him for 24 rounds.

Hopefully, we get to see a third fight next year. If they somehow managed to squeeze out a 3rd fight out of Gatti-Ward, I don't see why we can't get a trilogy from these guys to feed our bloodlust.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a third - both fights seemed similar and I feel like the next one would play out the same way. GGG is getting up there as well.

Many felt the same way about Pacquiao - Marquez, and we ended up getting 4 incredible fights. Though I do agree about GGG's age. 36 is ancient for a boxer.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yeah I haven't watched the second bout but after the first and what I'm reading online about seemingly everybody on the face of the earth having golvokin winning besides the six judges, once again confirming boxing is corrupt and a complete fucking joke. RIP boxing trying to cash out before the inevitable takeover of MMA.

Let's not even mention the fact canelo got caught juicing only months ago. What a fucking joke lmao

Last edited:
Top Bottom