• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can people please understand that Switch 2 WON'T be more powerful than Steam Deck?!

Tams

OP doesn't like people posting in his thread.

Sad Baby GIF by Major League Soccer

OP, please explain why this sperg required a whole new thread.

You ain't gonna be gettin' gold this dross.

I don't want Gold. I just can't understand why people think Nintendo will be chasing after an omega powerful Switch 2.

But look. I will agree that by that time we'll get a baseline power jump to at least PS4 simply because of the baseline for tech at that point in mobile devices.

Anything else and I'd be pleased but very surprised.

I think you're missing a key point. The Gamecube was Nintendo's attempt at chasing power. They just literally can not do it and stay Nintendo - which they learned from the Gamecube (and then unlearned with the Wii U). It's outside of their DNA, they're at the root a toy company.
See below.
To be more accurate, Nintendo stopped chasing power after Gamecube. NES, SNES, N64, GC, and GBA (to an extent DS) were all at the tops when released in terms of raw power.
This. The Gamecube wasn't "chasing power" anymore then any other console (handheld or home) that Nintendo made. The 7th gen was really the first gen that Nintendo went a completely different route then competitors.

Nintendo made a small lunchbox-esque console that was visually unappealing to the 2001 crowd especially with the PlayStation 2 and Xbox (in America at least). It looked like a toy in a period of time where that wasn't as cool as before. It also had a proprietary disc format which meant it couldn't play DVDs (which helped the PS2).

Nintendo Gamecube didn't fail because it chased power, Nintendo just decided to chase gimmicks after multiple generations of getting destroyed and happened to hit it big again with the Wii. The WiiU wasn't chasing power either. It was slightly above 2005 era power but 7 years late. Just because the Switch is roughly the same level doesn't mean the WiiU chased power either.

I do agree however that the Switch successor won't be super powerful, and it doesn't need to be. It simply needs to be a more powerful Switch.

Last edited:
It will have roughly the same performance but it will be able to run games at much higher resolutions than Steam Deck due to DLSS. 540p native will be 1080p and 1080p native will be 2160p.

Yes, the gamecub was supposedly 11.99 gflops, ps2 was like 6.2 gflops, and I think the xbox was 20 gflops.
It was a console generation with 3 very different technical designs, so the flops metric doesn't say much. Xbox had the most powerful chips but had the most bottlenecks. It couldn't handle reflections or alpha effects as well as cube. Xbox games using the most advanced lighting features had low polygon counts/frame rate in comparison to some GameCube games.

PS2 was the weakest in polygons/textures but could have the most dynamic physics/particle effects.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Some peoples don’t understand is that Nintendo is pretty much locked to whatever Nvidia will have available in the mobile segment (which is very limited) and the fab capabilities for high volume (no, they won’t build back closed 28nm fabs for Nintendo).

There’s only so much they can cheap out on. For sure they will prioritize a version of Tegra with DLSS as that save a huge amount of silicon compared to brute forcing your way to the same target performances & resolution.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The dock will actually be an external 3080ti, so in docked mode it will be stronger than ps5/xsx while in portable mode it will be basically a steamdeck.

Checkmate atheists
While you may be joking, the design idea of the dock being able to push the Nintendo Switch Advance by allowing some sort of discreet egpu in the dock is NOT that crazy of an idea if you consider USB speeds should be able to handle the needed bandwidth (30 gbps).

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm thinking about half-way between PS4 and PS4 Pro. Maybe DLSS and more QoL improvements, SSD maybe?
The biggest strength of Steam Deck is also its weakness, the games are not optimized to it, and don't scale to take advantage of the hardware.
A Switch 2 with a especiallized api.

Most people just don't get how impressive games like Mario Odyssey and Luigi's mansion 3 are considering how weak the switch is.

The steam deck is not a crazy target. Esp. 2 years later! But they don't actually need to go that far to get a huge advantage over the original switch. Games will absolutely, no doubt about it be more advanced than PS4 titles. Just having much newer graphics api and hardware features will fulfill that.

Dude the switch technically has less memory bandwidth than Xbox 360, and the CPU is not much better. People never learn, nor appreciate what is possible on any hardware that is not the bleeding edge.

Oh except PC, because that doesn't count. 🤔

Last edited:
Most people just don't get how impressive games like Mario Odyssey and Luigi's mansion 3 are considering how weak the switch is.

The steam deck is not a crazy target. Esp. 2 years later! But they don't actually need to go that far to get a huge advantage over the original switch. Games will absolutely, no doubt about it be more advanced than PS4 titles.

Dude the switch technically has less memory bandwidth than Xbox 360, and the CPU is not much better. People never learn, nor appreciate what is possible on any hardware that is not the bleeding edge.

Oh except PC, because that doesn't count. 🤔

Yup. I'm happy to settle on PS4 capabilities for Switch 2. Nothing more.

coffinbirth

Less powerful than Steam Deck but with better battery life

No tensor cores (hence no DLSS), 'cause battery life

Quote me in 2 years
I hope you're wrong.
If Nintendo went with X2, or Xavier with Tensor Cores removed, yikes.
But since this is Nintendo, anything is possible.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yeah, I have the SD and I would think that there is no way that the Switch Pro (2) would be more powerful than the SD. Nintendo doesn't really care about next-gen top of the line tech. They just want better framerate and resolution. It won't surpass the SD at all. Not even close.

jaysius

Banned
What they should do is make a Switch 2 and let it have the same gimmick and form factor that gimps all the graphical features and performance, and also a Switch 2 PRO that is a real console, MS has proven this gen that it's very doable to have a mainstream sku(series X) and a gimped more affordable one (Series S).

What we'll get is the equivalent of a used condom that isn't even full of cum, just kind of half full, it'll be a half hearted over priced underpowered joke console again, maybe with a new gimmick that nobody wants.

What would be kind of interesting, would be if the new Nintendo console was actually something like the Meta Quest a stand alone VR headset, at least then the shitty underpowered graphics would be acceptable as long as it was able to meet performance goals of the small screens.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I work for Nintendo, we are not calling it the Switch 2. We are going to call it the Nintendo Portable Entertainment Handheld. It is going to blow you guys away. R&D has strapped 3 SNES together in the lab.

OP is YELLING about powerful systems in the year 2022 with a Dreamcast avatar....

Youtube Vlog GIF by Megan Batoon

The Sega Dreamcast was state of the art and revolutionary for what it did at the time.

It represents the true pinnacle of the golden age of gaming.

It failed because the market wasn't ready for it and people wanted to wait for the PS2.

Aside from its failures it was an incredible machine with tons of power for its time.

All hail the Dreamcast!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Less powerful than Steam Deck but with better battery life

No tensor cores (hence no DLSS), 'cause battery life

Quote me in 2 years

DLSS is a must and is what will keep it viable as a hybrid. You probably aren't wrong though. lol

Top Bottom