• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can people please understand that Switch 2 WON'T be more powerful than Steam Deck?!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The devices don't even cater to the same market. Steamdeck is relatively niche and built for enthusiasts. Switch is a mass market device.

Exactly and Nintendo would never release a handheld that big. I have to say tho I much prefer the ergonomics of steam deck to the switch now that I’ve had it a while.

I'm in the Switch thread and Gaffers seem to be convinced that somehow the Switch 2 will be more powerful than a Steam Deck! Some people are saying it'll be like a PS5 in power!

THE HELL IS ACTUALLY GOING ON AT GAF!

Why don't people REMEMBER that Nintendo do not chase the graphics race? Why was it only one person in that thread who literally spoke some sense about this?

Nintendo tried to do that game with the GC. It failed. Done. They no longer do it. Gaf needs to remember this and STOP DRINKING THE NINTENDO COOL AID WTFFF!

Look just LOOK at the history of Nintendo! IT'S EASY TO SEE!

We will get something MAYBE at a little under PS4 level MAYBE.

CAN GAF PLEASE SEE SENSE!

THANK YOU!
The GameCube didn’t fail because it was “chasing power”. It failed because it was a lunchbox with an abnormal media format going up against the PlayStation 2 in a time where “childish” things weren’t cool.

It being a normal powerful console didn’t really have anything to do with it. Just because they changed directions afterwards and hit gold doesn’t mean the GameCube failed because it chased power.

Just sayin

Thabass

Who cares of it is? I just want it to be more powerful than the Switch currently is; if it's just AS powerful as the Steam Deck is now, I'll be fucking happy as a clam.

The GameCube didn’t fail because it was “chasing power”. It failed because it was a lunchbox with an abnormal media format going up against the PlayStation 2 in a time where “childish” things weren’t cool.

It being a normal powerful console didn’t really have anything to do with it. Just because they changed directions afterwards and hit gold doesn’t mean the GameCube failed because it chased power.

Just sayin

Honestly, I think the GameCube being powerful for its time was just a happy accident and was just a product for the time. Wasn't the GameCube the middle ground than the Xbox and the PS2?

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What I don't understand is why anyone really cares.

Raw power is just not something you buy Nintendo for. You get so many other great things from them, but it's a good thing that they have differentiated themselves on the market, and aren't simply trying to build the next powerhouse box like everyone else.

Enjoy them for what they are, and for how they are actually different.

Romulus

Just sayin

Yes, it was exactly as expected being a newer machine than ps2, maybe even slightly less than expected looking at the RAM pool. Ps2 was already starved and gamecube came out later with barely an upgrade, and media format was even more bizarre.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Honestly, I think the GameCube being powerful for its time was just a happy accident and was just a product for the time. Wasn't the GameCube the middle ground than the Xbox and the PS2?
Yes, the gamecub was supposedly 11.99 gflops, ps2 was like 6.2 gflops, and I think the xbox was 20 gflops.

Ozriel

M$FT
The Switch had perhaps the most powerful ARM GPU outside Apple's stuff when it released in 2017

I think a 2024 Switch 2 will most likely eclipse the Deck in raw specs.

Historically, Nintendo hasnt always pushed for power, but they know they need a certain baseline to ensure next gen ports keep coming.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You really made a thread about that discussion? REALLY? LMAO. I'm gonna copy my last post since I'm assuming we're continuing here, but before I want to clarify that I see this as a big possibility and not something that will definitely happen. Here it is:

That's a possibility, specially if we have Nvidia pushing for a powerful handheld under their catalog competing against AMD to avoid shareholders asking for more in-console presence.

The console is set to release on 2024 minimum so there's a possibility, not even because Nintendo wants to, but because the mobile hardware performance is closing gaps against stationary hardware more than ever so the cheapest alternatives Nintendo could have are probably not that weak too, unless they want to pay more for less performance which I don't see them doing.

Also, Nintendo avoids direct competition against Sony/Microsoft for the same type of device, but they can't avoid other competitors to enter in their own territory and there's Steam Deck and other Chinese devices eating into it, so maybe a power race against MS and Sony makes no sense, but it does against those other devices now.

So in terms of GPU alone, a Steam Deck++ is perfectly viable and possible, but in terms of CPU I'm not sure yet if it's supposed to receive 9th gen lower res ports, considering the bump on CPU power we got with Zen 2 on consoles.

Romulus

The Switch had perhaps the most powerful ARM GPU outside Apple's stuff when it released in 2017

Historically, Nintendo hasnt always pushed for power, but they know they need a certain baseline to ensure next gen ports keep coming.

2017 most flagship mobile GPUs (Apple A11, Snapdragon 835) had surpassed the Tegra X1 in benchmarks. The CPU in the Switch was underpowered day 1.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
switch 2 will definitely be more powerful than the deck. in fact it will probably match the PS5! i can't wait for super fast load speeds on switch 2! oh and the raytracing will be good too :messenger_beaming:

/s u mad op?

Last edited:

NahaNago

I was thinking about those next gen ports when making a switch 2 but like considering how few AAA games we get a year versus all these interesting looking indies and Nintendo mostly relying on themselves do they really need to make the next switch that powerful.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Tegra Orin or Atlan. Using 1440p DLSS quality mode and we should be good.
Atlan would likely be heavily thermally limited.
Being Ada based doesnt seem lke a good move looking at the increased TDPs across Ada.
Orin is Ampere based and weve seen Ampere enjoy being undervolted.
I could see a switch 2 being Orin based, it would have the advantage of DLSS and a pretty mature architecture going for it.
That would place it at or about the PS4Pro....which in a handheld device would be some tough shit.

Kuranghi

It would be great to somehow get into Nintendo headquarters and you just go on a 30 minute long Apu style rant about how they just need a competent software TAA solution and to optimise DoF and alpha effects better and their games will look 10x better with no increase in HW cost:

KkXNeCa5-R7FbYUXwpc8Fo9VwKkwnGNkUsG_VeirntI.jpg

I would absolutely pay £450 for a Switch which is just how Switch games look now but at 4K and without the v-sync stutters from mild fps drops. When you see Odyssey, BotW, Luigi's Mansion 3 or SM3DW:BF and so on running on PC at 4K it just looks so flippin' great. Even just Wii games on Dolphin rendered at Stupid-K look amazeballs.

Bud, Nintendo can easily make Switch 2 more powerful without breaking the bank. Not Xbox Series X or PS5 level power, but around Xbox One/PS4 level, at least.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Good try op but you are not gonna bait me into trolling nintendo shitty hardwares and get one week ban.

FStubbs

Just sayin
I think you're missing a key point. The Gamecube was Nintendo's attempt at chasing power. They just literally can not do it and stay Nintendo - which they learned from the Gamecube (and then unlearned with the Wii U). It's outside of their DNA, they're at the root a toy company.

Zannegan

A couple of points OP:
1. Even taking hyperbole into consideration, you're mischaracterizing what was actually said in the other thread pretty hard.
2. There is a vast gulf between the Steam Deck and the PS5, and while the Switch successor doesn't have a chance in hell of matching the latter, depending on its release date, the former is doable (though by no means guaranteed).

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I think you're missing a key point. The Gamecube was Nintendo's attempt at chasing power. They just literally can not do it and stay Nintendo - which they learned from the Gamecube (and then unlearned with the Wii U). It's outside of their DNA, they're at the root a toy company.

To be more accurate, Nintendo stopped chasing power after Gamecube. NES, SNES, N64, GC, and GBA (to an extent DS) were all at the tops when released in terms of raw power.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The Wii U was Nintendo "chasing power"? Lol. No, it was just the bare minimum upgrade, they couldn't really stay at GameCube level for a third generation. It was still a generation behind the competition (well, not at release, but soon after). And then the Switch was pretty much the same power level again, which is why they're now two generations behind. They need to catch up at least one with the Switch 2.

MrA

Banned
I'm happy to consider that argument. What do you think it'll be? SEE GAF THIS IS COMMON SENSE. NOT PS5 POWER!
Pretty sure everyone was saying this, switch will probably be orin based and with 8 the Cuda cores so even if they need further throttling 1 tflop portable and 2.2 docked is easily possible,
Also worth mentioning you were the one going off about how you expected ps3 level performance out of a switch 2, regardless of how little sense that makes

Ribi

Nintendo fanboys are sheep you can't talk them out of their dreams. They'll tell you the next Zelda is the best looking game ever and justify it not on graphics but art style. I expect the next switch to be a 1080 tablet from 2014 with graphics of a 360

Banned
Nintendo fanboys are sheep you can't talk them out of their dreams. They'll tell you the next Zelda is the best looking game ever and justify it not on graphics but art style. I expect the next switch to be a 1080 tablet from 2014 with graphics of a 360

the Switch already has a better GPU than the 360, often pushing close to 2x the pixels.

people like you are worse than the worst Nintendo fanboys

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Werent the rumours of the next switch was a cut down version of nvidias car chip, which was considerably more powerful then the steam reck

Astral Dog

Dude CALM DOWN!

ok so , people just need a reminder before obsessing over leaks Nintendo still wants a mass market price, fit your hands without burning them AND battery that last more than 1 hour max playing games.

regardless, Switch 2 still should be a nice piece of hardware with some gorgeous looking games

Last edited:
I was wondering where you ran off to darkangel(man I really wanted a movie to tie things up for that show).

Maybe if you buy the $649 version of the steam deck 2.

Yeah, after mulling it over it is could/should be more powerful than the ps4. It will have been nearly 11 years since the ps4 came out if were going with the switch 2 coming out in 2024 so creating a switch 2 with that power or stronger should be possible.

Depends on the steam deck. Maybe the weakest version, that is a $399 and runs from a teraflop up to 1.6 teraflops.

I ran off with your mum to show her my import Dreamcast collection. She's into it AND ME.

But seriously... I've always been here. Or are you talking about the other thread? Did you miss me xxxx

Also yeah, I can see it running the next nvdia chipset. I'll go upto PS4 power. Happy now everyone?

To the other poster: There were people saying they think Switch 2 will be on the same level as PS5. Why would I make that shit up?

Also to the other poster I am fully informed of Nintendos history. I've been buying their hardware since the NES days. Powerglove included. It's not hard to understand this.

Kuranghi

I ran off with your mum to show her my import Dreamcast collection. She's into it AND ME.

But seriously... I've always been here. Or are you talking about the other thread? Did you miss me xxxx

Also yeah, I can see it running the next nvdia chipset. I'll go upto PS4 power. Happy now everyone?

To the other poster: There were people saying they think Switch 2 will be on the same level as PS5. Why would I make that shit up?

Also to the other poster I am fully informed of Nintendos history. I've been buying their hardware since the NES days. Powerglove included. It's not hard to understand this.

NVM the thread theme why are you writing like that, theres a balance between a huge wall of text and this, please find it for the sake of my/our sanity:

Last edited:
Top Bottom