• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the Steam deck will have a hard time emulating the switch 2

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Confused Season 2 GIF by Rick and Morty
Sesame Street Idk GIF

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Deck can just barely handle the current Switch. Switch 2 will be about as powerful as Steam Deck, more or less. Steam Deck 2 might be able to. On PC you can do DLSS to FSR 2, but emulating DLSS or Nintendo's AI upscaling technique might prove difficult, on top of having to emulate a much more powerful system than the original Switch.

Last edited:

Fbh

The current Steam Deck? I'd seriously doubt that it would be able to emulate a Switch 2.

Future Steam deck models might, given that Valve is probably going to be updating the hardware more frequently and won't wait 6-7 years for a hardware refresh

Ogbert

This can't possibly be a question that is causing you any concern.

Let's worry about the Switch 2 first.

Duchess

It's having no problems emulating the Switch 2, according to benchmarks I've seen. However, it's having difficulty with Switch 3, so you might want to get a PC or wait for Steam Deck 2.

:rolleyes:

lachesis

I do hope it will not be easily emulated. By saying so, I mean, I hope Switch 2 will be much more powerful than current one, or at least similar tier to current Steam Deck.

If Switch 2 can emulate Steam Deck or run Linux/SteamOS/Windows better than current Steam Deck itself - I would love to see that - but of course, half joking here.

Mowcno

No, emulating the switch already pushes the cpu in it to the limit for the more demanding titles.

But Steam Deck 2 emulating Switch 2? Who knows!

Kataploom

Gold Member
SD cannot even run Switch games without issues lol but can you imagine it being otherwise? Nintendo messing around proton to allow PC ports on Switch 2 without any hassle from devs, of course those would be games bought from the eShop

Paasei

It doesn’t run all the Switch games at the moment. Yet some seem to work surprisingly well like Metroid and Mario Kart 8 ( although you can say that’s a Wii U game ).

travolta88

Neo Member
will be tough for it to emulate a console coming out in the undetermined future, even if it isn't cutting edge
even if it can, it probably won't do it very well

Elysion

Banned
The Switch 2 will probably be comparable to a PS4 in terms of performance. And the Deck obviously isn’t capable of emulating that, so it’s safe to say it won’t emulate the Switch 2 either.

Though now that I think about it, can PS4 and XB1 be emulated on PC already? I know it took the PS3 a long time before emulation was possible (and it‘s still far from perfect), but the PS4 is a much simpler design in comparison, so theoretically it should be much easier.

Top Bottom