• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can people please understand that Switch 2 WON'T be more powerful than Steam Deck?!

Tams

I think the issue here is that Nintendo understand they need to prioritise battery life alongside the power of the machine, the steam deck priorities maximising power at reduced portability (its chunky) and limited time not connected to a mains when gaming.

You can't have both, not without a dramatic increase in battery size. So no I doubt what ever is next from Nintendo will be a steam deck because I can't see them keeping the portability and battery life if they do, which are key selling points for alot of people.
Yeah, even the first Switches before the Mariko revision were a problem for them.

And of course, the gaming community moaned about that too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah, even the first Switches before the Mariko revision were a problem for them.

And of course, the gaming community moaned about that too.

I'm actually upgrading to a Switch OLED when the splatoon version drops for this reason, I'm returning to the office for hybrid working after a long time working from home. The issue is my travel time too and from (several trains) takes me well over the limit of my launch switch, however the OLED's reported 4.5 hours should do nicely.

It is an issue of convenience when you are unsure a socket is going to be available for recharge Its one of the reasons I have skipped gen 1 of the steam deck after the walls I kept running into with my launch switches limited battery life.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I think there's a good chance they'll sell the system 350$. Inflation happened. The economy is different than it was in 2017.

So basically, what is the most amount of power they can cram into a 350$ box, in whatever year they'll be selling it, and turn a small profit?

If it's released this year(not gonna happen) or next year, I think it is unlikely to be more powerful than steamdeck.

If it is released in 2024 or beyond, it could be.

Last edited:

Banned
T239 found in the Linux kernel, and confirmed to have 8 cores.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/YyMYu9Y38OeaM1WS@orome/

Things we know so far:
- 12SMs/1536 cuda cores.
- support for DLSS and rtx.
- 8 cores.
- Ampere

Once we get the clocks and the ram, we'll have a complete picture of the new device.

that's a big jump.
the X1 has 256 cuda cores right?

let's assume it's the same clock speed as the Switch which is 768mhz docked.
at that clock speed this chip would have ~2.36TF peak performance.
the Switch in docked mode reached 0.39TF as a comparison.

2.36TF is a good chunk above the PS4, and a big jump from the Steam Deck

let's say they clock it higher in docked this time, let's say Nintendo uses the max clock that the X1 can support, which is 1267mhz
in that case the docked performance could get to 3.9TF, quite literally on the doorstep of the Series S

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
It being more powerful than Steam Deck is plausable depending on time of release.

As powerful as PS5/XSX though? On a portable form factor? That's gotta be a no from me dawg.

Even if that was possible, at what cost? Realistically, Nintendo consoles tend to sell at a lower cost than competition. As much as I would love Nintendo to be back in the power race, I think that ship has sailed ever since the Wii and Switch got successful without ever being at the forefront of graphics.
By the time Switch 2 releases and it could be more powerful than the Deck, my money is on Deck 2 either having just been released or about to be. And it will blow the Switch 2 out of the water.

Boy bawang

But is there anything that suggests that the Switch 2 is actually going to use this particular chip?

Yes. Since the Nvidia hack, we know that T239 is Drake, the chip ascribed to the NVN2 API (NVN 1 was the OG Switch). This isn't from clout chasing "insiders", it's actual info from Nvidia themselves, even though it was obtained through illegal means.

By the time Switch 2 releases and it could be more powerful than the Deck, my money is on Deck 2 either having just been released or about to be. And it will blow the Switch 2 out of the water.

This is not a given if the Deck sticks with an x86 architecture rather than ARM, and if it lacks features such as DLSS. Even though the next Switch will probably only use DLSS 2.x, it's still a huge equalizer.
The CPU of the next Deck will however run circles around that of the next Switch, but it's less relevant in games as very few fames would make use of it.

To complete my message above, the fact that T239 is now referred to in the linux Kernel tends to indicate that Nvidia also plans to use it in another consumer product, probably a Shield 2; same as the tegra X1 was used in the first Shield.

I used to believe that the next Switch would be 2024; I'm not so sure now, it could realistically be released next year I guess.

that's a big jump.
the X1 has 256 cuda cores right?

let's assume it's the same clock speed as the Switch which is 768mhz docked.
at that clock speed this chip would have ~2.36TF peak performance.
the Switch in docked mode reached 0.39TF as a comparison.

2.36TF is a good chunk above the PS4, and a big jump from the Steam Deck

let's say they clock it higher in docked this time, let's say Nintendo uses the max clock that the X1 can support, which is 1267mhz
in that case the docked performance could get to 3.9TF, quite literally on the doorstep of the Series S

I believe that Nintendo will be very conservative when it comes to clock speed and I expect them to run similarly to the OG Switch.
2.36TF docked is still excellent, mind you, and DLSS could allow this machine to approach the PS4 Pro in terms of in game performance. Still a bit below Series S, still largely below a PS5, but close enough to both to receive gimped downports, probably of better quality than those received by the OG Switch from PS4.

Last edited:

Banned
I believe that Nintendo will be very conservative when it comes to clock speed and I expect them to run similarly to the OG Switch.
2.36TF docked is still excellent, mind you, and DLSS could allow this machine to approach the PS4 Pro in terms of in game performance. Still a bit below Series S, still largely below a PS5, but close enough to both to receive gimped downports, probably of better quality than those received by the OG Switch from PS4.

I think it will depend.
in portable mode they need to make sure battery life is good.
in docked they didn't.

I think the clock speed choices for the first Switch came from the target resolutions.
1080p on TV and 720p in portable mode.
so they most likely got a portable cock first and then looked what it would roughly take to then run a 720p portable game at 1080p.

if they still target 720p in portable mode (which imo they should)
and then target 4k on a TV, the clock speed differences for the Switch 2 could be bigger.

there's no real practical reason that the current Switch is locked to 768mhz in docked mode. the cooling can easily handle the higher max clock of the X1.
which is why I think that this choice of clock speed was made with resolution in mint and that this time around they might actually try to run it as close to max rated speed as possible, and we don't even know the rated speed of this new Tegra yet. maybe this Tegra X1 clock speed is a conservative estimate already who knows?
imagine if the rated clocks for the new Tegra is closer to 2ghz 🧐

it's gonna be interesting either way.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why don't people REMEMBER that Nintendo do not chase the graphics race? Why was it only one person in that thread who literally spoke some sense about this?
Because a lot of people do not understand that Nintendo chases maximum profit. They will use the cheapest config they can get away with and break even on each console sold.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Because a lot of people do not understand that Nintendo chases maximum profit. They will use the cheapest config they can get away with and break even on each console sold.
Literally what I said. People are getting their hopes wwwaaayyy too high. What motive would they have pursuing high clocks and lower yield when they can be extremely conservative and have a higher yield?

More importantly, what Nintendo game has gotten poor reviews because of the graphics? (That should tell you all you need to know about Nintendo).

Amiga

We will get something MAYBE at a little under PS4 level MAYBE.

If the Switch is on the Xbox One level it would be amazing for a handheld. Nintendo do great work optimizing graphics art.
The deck is basically emulating the games while the Switch would have native software with closer access to the hardware.

Top Bottom