• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Bell recalls some of its ice cream products due to Listeria.....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have Blue Bell in your freezer, check the ID codes to make sure they aren't a listeria risk. At least Blue Bell isn't ignoring the issue this time.

Blue Bell Creamery, home of the famous ice cream, has announced a voluntary recall of some of its products.

The warning stems from possible contamination of Listeria monocytogenes in cookie dough used in the maker's cookie dough ice cream. Blue Bell's distribution of the suspect product was in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Ice cream with the following code date ID number should not be eaten and should be returned to place of purchase for a refund: 082618226, 080418222, 081818224, 081518242, and 082418242. The product number is located on the bottom of each container.

Blue Bell stresses that no illnesses have been reported to date.

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/recall-blue-bell-listeria/2016/09/28/id/750570/

DOWN

Banned
Blue Bell is average and very overrated. It used to be much better but then they switched from sugar to HFCS.

This. I know people enjoy a couple of flavors that are unusual but seriously. There's a lot more ice and air in Blue Bell than higher end pints like Haagen Dazs or even Ben & Jerry's. They manage to price their giant tubs low for a reason.

Kittygirl

Ugh, I just about bought some for myself earlier today as a treat. Getting sick off of something you only eat once or twice a year would put me off ice cream altogether.

Thank God I'm cheap as all get out, looked at my grocery cart, and said "Nope".

JohnsonUT

If I gave you a cup of bluebell made with cane sugar, and a cup of bluebell made with HFCS, how confident are you that you would know which is which?

I am fairly confident. I noticed when they made the switch on a flavor my wife likes many years back. Though, I cannot say for sure I noticed the very first time.

This. I know people enjoy a couple of flavors that are unusual but seriously. There's a lot more ice and air in Blue Bell than higher end pints like Haagen Dazs or even Ben & Jerry's. They manage to price their giant tubs low for a reason.

Pretty much. Availability of ice cream brands varies by region, but around here Turkey Hill is the only low-end ice cream that's pretty good for the price. Or maybe Mayfield, if I can find it. Blue Bell is average at best. Too many ingredients and too much air.

Elandyll

Banned
If I gave you a cup of bluebell made with cane sugar, and a cup of bluebell made with HFCS, how confident are you that you would know which is which?
When consumer report compared 19 brands of Vanilla, Blue Bell didn't make the top tier it seems.
B&J and Haagen Dazs were top, and the Costco and Wallmart brands were above it.
#Mediocre.gif

Edit: milk, cream, sugar, skim milk, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, vegetable gums (guar, carrageenan, carob bean), salt, annatto.

Like the good old days indeed.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
When I moved to TX I was fucking flabbergasted that people thought of Blue Bell as anything other than average/normal ice cream. Not that i dislike it, but I was shocked people thought it was special.

this_guy

It's a seasonal flavor. You can look at all the craft beer companies and everyone has Oktoberfest beers on the shelf right now. Blue Bell is bringing back listeria.

Plus Blue Bell is overrated. They use high fructose corn syrup just like everyone else. H-E-B store brand ice cream is just as good.

love me some blue bell. bought some cookie dough blue bell a few weeks ago and didnt get sick. i will buy some more soon, although maybe not cookie dough flavor.

When consumer report compared 19 brands of Vanilla, Blue Bell didn't make the top tier it seems.
B&J and Haagen Dazs were top, and the Costco and Wallmart brands were above it.
#Mediocre.gif

Edit: milk, cream, sugar, skim milk, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, natural and artificial vanilla flavor, cellulose gum, vegetable gums (guar, carrageenan, carob bean), salt, annatto.

Like the good old days indeed.

Great Value icecream is terrible. Was Blue Bell even in consideration in that report? Did they do the taste test while Blue Bell was off the market? They must have or their taste buds are broken.

Ponn

Banned
It seems to be about the cookie dough again. I wonder if the cookie dough is made somewhere else or in another factory. They just need to stop using that shit. I'll just continue buying Publix brand ice cream, damn you Chocolate Trinity. And Pumpkin Pie is right around the corner too.

We got a note from somewhere like 2 weeks ago about the recall, weird that this is just now out there. It pointed out specific flavors in those serial numbers (I think cookie dough and the texas two step)

we finally bought some bluebell and it was the cookie dough but we finished it before the notice went out, so we didn't have the tub anymore

I've been sick as shit since then too so i'm self diagnosing it was this 100%

Leatherface

Blue Bell is the absolute best ice cream and yet it's always fukin poisoned

This is false. The best Ice Cream on planet earth is, in fact:

jenis-ice-cream-leadjpg-3107e469ad83e50e.jpg

Leatherface

It's mainly in the midwest (The are from Ohio I believe). It's actually hard to find where I am in MA as well, BUT you can order it online and let me tell you, it's a whole new level unlike any ice cream out there. I didn't think I cared about ice cream until I had this stuff. :eek:

Get some of this for your girl on Valentines day. 1 pint Darkest Chocolate. 1 pint Salted Carmel and you will be a god. :p

this_guy

I was eating a lot of Halo Top ice cream over the summer. Only 240 calories for the entire pint, very low sugar and it has a good amount of protein. Plus it tastes just like ice cream and not like a healthy alternative.

Vengrim

It's mainly in the midwest (The are from Ohio I believe). It's actually hard to find where I am in MA as well, BUT you can order it online and let me tell you, it's a whole new level unlike any ice cream out there. I didn't think I cared about ice cream until I had this stuff. :eek:

Get some of this for your girl on Valentines day. 1 pint Darkest Chocolate. 1 pint Salted Carmel and you will be a god. :p

Out of curiousity, I googled it. For 12 bucks (plus 13 bucks shipping) a pint it had better be the best fucking ice cream imaginable.

I've never found a suitable replacement for their mint chocolate chip. That nearly neon green ice cream is my FAVORITE. Since I've moved to Washington from TX I only get it on the holidays ;_;

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The Blue Bell cult was mystifying to me when I lived in Texas.

Gimme that Bryers triple chocolate gelato thing instead.

Even though these days when I want ice cream I just go out and get it from Dairy Queen or whatever frozen custard place since I don't eat enough of it to keep it in the house. Plus it also tastes way better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom