• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Bell issues its first all-product recall in company history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolluck

They recalled it ALL? The signs at HEB misled me since they were a few hours out of date. Sucks to hear. Hopefully others are more informed than me.

Koomaster

This ironically makes me want to try Blue Bell ice cream since people are making such a fuss over stores not having any now.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This ironically makes me want to try Blue Bell ice cream since people are making such a fuss over stores not having any now.
It's okay. They kinda go overboard with the ingredients. Last kind I had was brownie cheesecake or some such shit, and it was like 90% topping stuff/10% actual ice cream. It was too sweet for its own good.

nilbog21

Banned
Fuck man, My wife loves this stuff and I've been eating a bunch of the mini cups recently.. i've felt a little off recently ..

cajunator

Banned
Bluebell is my lifeblood.
Sucks so much.
Last time I went on an ice cream run the aisle was cordoned off :(
OeKECJe.jpg
I bought New Orleans ice cream instead which wasnt a bad idea really.

damn shame, blue bell is glorious

hopefully they find the issue quick, resolve, so they can get back on shelves and i can buy again

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Blue bell? Never heard of it.
You must live somewhere shitty.

Wtf is blue bunny, guarantee its not better than blue bell

We just finished chocolate chip cookie dough last night, we're both fine this morning. Fortunately we weren't planning on replacing the finished half gallon any time soon.

Mitch

Banned
Saw at Kroger they had big signs all over the ice cream section saying "IT'S GOOD, THIS STUFF IS ALL GOOD, IT'S FROM THE BRENHAM FACILITY WHICH IS FINE DON'T WORRY"

i guess this is no longer true
Saw this last Friday when I bought some B&J Froyo.

@Blue Bell haters - Get your taste buds checked, fellas.

MedHead

I had never heard of Blue Bell before I moved to Oklahoma. I heard people talk highly of the products, so I tried some of the very expensive cookie dough ice cream. The vanilla ice cream in the cookie dough batch was a little plain, and the dough chunks were barely there and a bit too small for my preferences. I checked the ingredients list and saw they use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. I don't understand why people like their ice cream tubs; it's more expensive than the competition but ends up being worse all around.

Mr. Doop

I'm guessing Blue Bell is just the southern equivalent of Blue Bunny. I've never heard of it, and I've lived in New England all my life.

Mitch

Banned
I had never heard of Blue Bell before I moved to Oklahoma. I heard people talk highly of the products, so I tried some of the very expensive cookie dough ice cream. The vanilla ice cream in the cookie dough batch was a little plain, and the dough chunks were barely there and a bit too small for my preferences. I checked the ingredients list and saw they use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. I don't understand why people like their ice cream tubs; it's more expensive than the competition but ends up being worse all around.
I can find 2 pints for $4 a lot of the times here in Houston.

lol @ the blue bell trolls. haters gonna hate and all that.

Sucks about the recall, but I will happily keep eating their ice cream in the future.

HEB is definitely cheaper and not bad at all. A lot of HEB's branded stuff is pretty decent actually.

I miss HEB. Excluding Central Market, I think the closest HEB for me is the one in Waxahachie (I live in Dallas).

Sucks about Blue Bell though. I haven't had any in a long time but it was always awesome. :(

Are you telling me you live in some uncivilized place that doesnt have bluebell?
I thought the coasts were supposed to have everything?

Everything is better on the coasts. Its funny I consider Texas to be a pretty amazing mecca when it comes to food but when my friends busted this stuff out I thought I was in crazy town.
Thankfully for you though I believe Haagen Daaz isn't east or west coast specific so you can still get some quality ice cream next time your out and about.

this_guy

HEB is definitely cheaper and not bad at all. A lot of HEB's branded stuff is pretty decent actually.

Yup. HEB has 2 store brands - Hill Country Fare, which is the lower end and comparable to other store brands (i.e. it sucks), and HEB branded products which are actually quite good but still cheaper than the competition.

No I don't work for HEB haha.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

They taste really similar to me too.

So I'm not from Texas originally but I've been living here for a few years. I feel like the silver lining in all this is maybe some of the Texans I've met can get over themselves and eat ice cream that isn't Blue Bell. You'd think that Blue Bell was like religion here with the way people turn their noses up at every other ice cream. It's just such a weird thing to me.

edit: In Arkansas we had Blue Bell, Blue Bunny, Edys, Breyers, and Yarnells. Feels like there are fewer options here!

My dad just bought Blue Bell cookies and cream Sunday afternoon and had a bowl that same night. I was seriously tempted to have one myself last night, but was able to fight the urge. Going over there at lunch and tossing that shit in the trash.

Mitch

Banned

So I'm not from Texas originally but I've been living here for a few years. I feel like the silver lining in all this is maybe some of the Texans I've met can get over themselves and eat ice cream that isn't Blue Bell. You'd think that Blue Bell was like religion here with the way people turn their noses up at every other ice cream. It's just such a weird thing to me.

edit: In Arkansas we had Blue Bell, Blue Bunny, Edys, Breyers, and Yarnells. Feels like there are fewer options here!
As someone born and raised here in Texas, I've eaten my fair share of Blue Bell. When I actually buy ice cream, it's typically B&J or Dreyer's. Out of the three brands, I really don't have a preference. I love good ice cream no matter what.

I really want some ice cream now. There's a place here in Houston called Amy's Ice Cream, and they're open until midnight. Probably the best ice cream I've ever had, next to Mitchell's Ice Cream up in Ohio.

Vyer

Yup. HEB has 2 store brands - Hill Country Fare, which is the lower end and comparable to other store brands (i.e. it sucks), and HEB branded products which are actually quite good but still cheaper than the competition.

No I don't work for HEB haha.

lol. yeah, I agree about HCF. HEB's stuff for grilling is surprisingly strong too.

There are fewer, I think. That may be part of the reason you see what you're talking about. I like to try different ice cream, I don't know that I'd call BB the 'best', but still very good. Part of the problem is that you have those limited choices you mentioned on shelves - BB, Dreyers, B&J, HD...and the cost per pint on some of those compared to BB here is a little ridiculous too.

I've been eating some Kirkland Ice cream (made by Blue Bell) in the past 2 weeks or so

And today around 3:00 am I woke up with diarrhea. Right now I still feel kinda nauseous and kinda ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom