• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FDA: Before recall, Blue Bell Ice Cream knew of and ignored listeria concern for 2yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
I avoided saying so in the OP since it's kind of silly but I think Blue Bell isn't even good. It's got more air (and thus more water crystals) so it isn't as creamy as Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's.

I consider it pretty mediocre. It isn't as bad as Breyer's which is no longer even legally allowed to label itself ice cream thanks to its recipe changes under Wal Mart ownership.

I avoided saying so in the OP since it's kind of silly but I think Blue Bell isn't even good. It's got more air (and thus more water crystals) so it isn't as creamy as Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's.

I consider it pretty mediocre. It isn't as bad as Breyer's which is no longer even legally allowed to label itself ice cream thanks to its recipe changes under Wal Mart ownership.

Yeah, it's mediocre stuff. I had it last year when visiting Texas and thought it tasted like run-of-the-mill supermarket ice cream.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Jeni's and Graeter's.

Reallink

Don't knock Breyer's Blast Oreo Cookies and Cream, it's great and isn't 200 calories per teaspoon like B&J's, or $5 per sample sized cup.

TylerD

Yeah, it's mediocre stuff. I had it last year when visiting Texas and thought it tasted like run-of-the-mill supermarket ice cream.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Jeni's and Graeter's.

Yeah, it's not great stuff. I've never had Jeni's from a pint or store but I do have her book and have made some delicious treats from it. Queen City Cayenne is one of my favorites

commedieu

Banned
What's your budget?

for icecream..?

jp-3.jpg

Lay it on me.

DOWN

Banned
for icecream..?

jp-3.jpg

Lay it on me.
Haagen Dazs and Ben & Jerry's sweep in the taste tests. They are more expensive, but that's because they don't whip as much air and water into theirs as cheaper brands. They are creamy heaven.

commedieu

Banned
Don't believe his lies commedieu.

Right? Lost me at Hagen Daaz... The quest continues Pantheon! They have like that vanilla bean-y vanilla.. Not the like.. weird artificially goodness of BlueBell. its rich and.. man.. perfect. I'll say sure, they might have the physical properties of creaminess, but not the tastbud sensation of the creamosity you get with Bluebell. Ill give them both a shot to remind my tastebuds just how good bluebell is. But, thats as far as its probably going to go.

DOWN

Banned
Don't knock Breyer's Blast Oreo Cookies and Cream, it's great and isn't 200 calories per teaspoon like B&J's, or $5 per sample sized cup.
That isn't even legally ice cream.

Right? Lost me at Hagen Daaz... The quest continues Pantheon! They have like that vanilla bean-y vanilla.. Not the like.. weird artificially goodness of BlueBell. its rich and.. man.. perfect. I'll say sure, they might have the physical properties of creaminess, but not the tastbud sensation of the creamosity you get with Bluebell. Ill give them both a shot to remind my tastebuds just how good bluebell is. But, thats as far as its probably going to go.
Keep in mind Haagen Dazs has both classic vanilla and vanilla bean favors separately. They're professionals.

commedieu

Banned
That isn't even legally ice cream.

Keep in mind Haagen Dazs has both classic vanilla and vanilla bean favors separately. They're professionals.

k, im going to try to track some down. Will update thread with results. I pray they are good... :)

Bluebells been a childhood treat, used to get it from my Aunt in texas. tracked down a place in Los Angeles that delivers it. So, its always been a nice taste memory. Reminds me of Texas family, hot summers, bluebell being a big deal.. man. Shame they are fucking scumbags. But the icecream, it was innocent. Just in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Got in with a bad crowd, etc etc. At 32, a lot is changing in my life. Bars closed, restaurants closed, friends, gone... but bluebell, well, bluebell was the one thing I had going. Its the one thing that has stayed the same.

I suppose we all must learn to live with the cards we are dealt. However bitter, or sweet, they may be.

User 406

Banned
Honestly, make your own. You can control the fat percentage and therefore the creaminess, you can whip it as fluffy as you like before mixing, and you can do any kind of crazy flavor you like, with tons of goodies to your taste. Just the other day I made a big pot of dulce de leche, dissolved part of it in the cream and milk, made the ice cream, froze it in a big rectangular pan in a flat layer, poured the remaining dulce de leche evenly over it, froze again, then cut into pieces and tamped down into the container. Kicks the living shit out of Hagen Daaz's version. Then I made a batch of chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips and frozen dollops of homemade peanut butter. It's incredible.

One of these will do the trick. You can also get a second freezer bowl to do two different flavors in the same session.

DOWN

Banned
Don't listen to this:

Honestly, make your own. You can control the fat percentage and therefore the creaminess, you can whip it as fluffy as you like before mixing, and you can do any kind of crazy flavor you like, with tons of goodies to your taste. Just the other day I made a big pot of dulce de leche, dissolved part of it in the cream and milk, made the ice cream, froze it in a big rectangular pan in a flat layer, poured the remaining dulce de leche evenly over it, froze again, then cut into pieces and tamped down into the container. Kicks the living shit out of Hagen Daaz's version. Then I made a batch of chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips and frozen dollops of homemade peanut butter. It's incredible.

One of these will do the trick. You can also get a second freezer bowl to do two different flavors in the same session.
I've made my own a couple of times and it tasted good but the work was so not worth it. There's such great brands out there and you don't have to spend a lot of time and clean up making it.

Doesn't his post sound like a lot of effort compared to scooping some rich tub of classic ice cream? He's giving me war flashbacks.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We had a gallon of Blue Bell Chocolate ice cream in the freezer, ready to use for my son's 5th birthday party with his other FOUR AND FIVE YEAR OLD FRIENDS when this was announced.

Holy fucking shit this company is fucking DONE.

I wonder what it would have been like if we didn't have the FDA, and let the free market handle this situation.

We likely wouldn't have even known the three people died as a result of the ice cream.

commedieu

Banned
Don't listen to this:

I've made my own a couple of times and it tasted good but the work was so not worth it. There's such great brands out there and you don't have to spend a lot of time and clean up making it.

Doesn't his post sound like a lot of effort compared to scooping some rich tub of classic ice cream? He's giving me war flashbacks.

I like the way you roll. You seem like a person that knows a thing or two about icecream.

And now a third of the company is being shitcanned.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Blue-Bell-to-Cut-37-Percent-of-Workforce-303932231.html

I bet the CEO still gets a bonus this year.

Damn. And This was a statement from Blue Bell just a few weeks ago:

Blue Bell Creameries hasn't laid off anyone in the past 100 years. And it won't happen now "In our entire history we've never had layoffs. It's not happening now," spokeswoman Jenny Van Dorf said.

How things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom