• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police find juvenile they say licked a tub of ice cream and put it back on the shelf

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Woman filmed licking ice cream tub could face 20 years 00:44
(CNN)Police say they have found the person who opened a carton of ice cream at a Texas Walmart, licked the creamy goodness, and put it back in the freezer.

Lufkin Police say the female gleefully contaminated a half-gallon of Blue Bell Tin Roof ice cream -- which the company describes as "a vanilla ice cream with a rich chocolate fudge swirl and roasted peanuts dipped in dark chocolate" -- last week in a Twitter video that has garnered more than 11 million views.
Detectives have "identified and spoken with the suspect and her boyfriend in the 'Blue Bell licking' case," a statement from Lufkin Police Department says.

The suspect, from San Antonio, is a juvenile, so police will not identify her.
"We do not intend to pursue charges against her as an 'adult' and therefore what happens from here is at the discretion of the juvenile justice system," police said in a statement.

Offices are discussing her adult boyfriend's involvement with prosecutors.
The statement from the Lufkin Police Department says, "The case will be turned over to the Texas Juvenile Justice Department and remains under investigation."

Blue Bell called the unsettling footage a "malicious act" in a statement on its website.
The ice cream maker said it inspected the freezer case that contained the licked ice cream, found the problematic tub, and removed all Tin Roof half-gallons from the Lufkin Walmart.

"The safety of our ice cream is our highest priority, and we work hard to maintain the highest level of confidence of our customers. Food tampering is not a joke, and we will not tolerate tampering with our products," Blue Bell said.
A Walmart in Corpus Christi isn't taking any chances with its own ice cream stock.

To protect its frozen goods, the store said, it stationed an "armed" guard in front of its Blue Bell freezer and posted a photo Wednesday of an employee holding a squirt gun; the photo was removed about 18 hours later.
"We're guarding our Blue Bell Ice cream for your Weekend party, what a great way to cool down in the Hot Texas heat !" the post said.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I agree that she should face the legal consequences for her action. But whoa... 20 years? For a second-degree felony tampering with a consumer product? I didn't know the punishment for that was that severe.

It was stupid stunt on her part. But really 20 years?
Would you want customers to fear that the [literally anything bought from the store] was licked by some fatass trying to score points with their Facebook friends?

While the punishment is severe, take the consequences to their logical conclusion and the breakdown of consumer trust would be catastrophic.

GreyHorace

It’s potentially 2 to 20 years but of course the germalists sensationally report the upper bound. No way in hell will she do any time, let alone 20 years.
Figured as much. Maybe she'll do some community service and stuff. I guess becoming a meme will be punishment enough for her.

Would you want customers to fear that the [literally anything bought from the store] was licked by some fatass trying to score points with their Facebook friends?

While the punishment is severe, take the consequences to their logical conclusion and the breakdown of consumer trust would be catastrophic.
I agree we should punish people accordingly for messing with foodstuffs we buy at the store.

I'm just shocked that the punishment for such a felony is 20 years max. I always thought a sentence like that was reserved for... sexual assault or maybe even armed robbery?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Figured as much. Maybe she'll do some community service and stuff. I guess becoming a meme will be punishment enough for her.

I agree we should punish people accordingly for messing with foodstuffs we buy at the store.

I'm just shocked that the punishment for such a felony is 20 years max. I always thought a sentence like that was reserved for... sexual assault or maybe even armed robbery?
Maybe it's because the sort of person who would lick ice cream and put it back shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets. Danger to society. :messenger_smirking:

Tesseract

Banned
yeah minors doing stupid stuff def should be taken off the streets for up to 20 years

fucking grocery stores are gonna break down over these ship dicks, society is gonna melt

/s

Last edited:

The upper limit of that charge is reserved for things such as the psycho who murdered people in the 80's by poisoning Tylenol.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The upper limit of that charge is reserved for things such as the psycho who murdered people in the 80's by poisoning Tylenol.
Just read up on this. Apparently they could never conclusively prove he was the culprit. He only served 13 years out of 20 for extortion because he sent a letter to Johnson & Johnson demanding $1 million to stop the murders. If he did that just to get attention that has got to be one of the stupidest things I've seen.

Super Mario

Banned
This is just an attempt by the media to say "AND WHITE RAPISTS DON'T EVEN GET 20 YEARS!"

$1000 fine and 200 hours of community service. Move on.

Nester99

The 20 years is only if someone got hurt or really sick. Ie Tylenol tampering in the 80s. It was never anything more than clickbait for this incident.

Sadly as a minor we will never get the closure on this episode of who’s the most herp derp

Wimbledon

She's not getting 20 years, but i imagine community service and a fine.

Whatever the case considering how people act today, positive press or negative press seems to only enhance the image of people who behave like this.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
$1000 fine and 200 hours of community service. Move on.

10 years probation to keep her little ass in line, on top of what you said. Food tampering shouldn't be taken lightly. Especially when this isn't the first instance. There are already multiple instances of this happening in the span of just one week.

Last edited:

Petrae

20 years is probably excessive, though spending some time in juvenile jail shouldn’t be summarily dismissed. Her foolish antics deserve punishment. That said, also hit her where it hurts. The monetary fine should be substantial. Make “going viral” costly; maybe the wastes of space urging her on in the video will help her with the heavy fine.

I really don’t subscribe to the “she’s just a kid” nonsense. She did this shit on purpose. She went viral, and now it wouldn’t be shocking to see other idiots try the same thing. You prosecute and sentence this shit so that the other potential idiots get the message that doing so will fuck up their lives.

If you’re gonna cross criminal lines to get likes, shares, and retweets in social media... then you should be damned well willing to do the time and pay the fine when you’re caught.

TBH Blue Bell has put off putting plastic seals on their tubs for way too long anyways. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for it to be an issue.

Breyers and other brands have plastic seals so 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
TBH Blue Bell has put off putting plastic seals on their tubs for way too long anyways. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for it to be an issue.

Breyers and other brands have plastic seals so 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️
If anything there has been zero guarantee some other moron has been doing this for years. Thankfully like you said, other brands do have plastic seals.

angelic

Banned
They should freeze her for 20 years and see if she survives.

images

Mohonky

I agree that she should face the legal consequences for her action. But whoa... 20 years? For a second-degree felony tampering with a consumer product? I didn't know the punishment for that was that severe.

Potentially 20yrs, that's the maximum.

Though spit in a police officers face and watch them go to town on you in court.

Transmission of bodily fluids can result in someone contracting a number of diseases including Hep B & C. It's a serious offense. I watched the same thread on Reeee, the amount of idiots that don't understand that is mind boggling.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

She won't get 20 years, but sometimes seemingly cheesy crimes have potentially high punishments.

It's more of a deterrent in hopes it scares people. And will only go into effort if it gets serious.

If a crime like licking food at a store carried nothing but a $20 fine if caught (like getting a parking ticket), you'd have tons of people doing stuff like this not caring about a small fine.

But if you up the punishment and publicly show the person getting nailed, copycats should decrease in numbers...... at least that's the theory behind it.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Potentially 20yrs, that's the maximum.

Though spit in a police officers face and watch them go to town on you in court.

Transmission of bodily fluids can result in someone contracting a number of diseases including Hep B & C. It's a serious offense. I watched the same thread on Reeee, the amount of idiots that don't understand that is mind boggling.

it's a fucking kid and no diseases were transferred, i think we can give her a pass and society will be okay

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
20 years is probably excessive, though spending some time in juvenile jail shouldn’t be summarily dismissed. Her foolish antics deserve punishment. That said, also hit her where it hurts. The monetary fine should be substantial. Make “going viral” costly; maybe the wastes of space urging her on in the video will help her with the heavy fine.

I really don’t subscribe to the “she’s just a kid” nonsense. She did this shit on purpose. She went viral, and now it wouldn’t be shocking to see other idiots try the same thing. You prosecute and sentence this shit so that the other potential idiots get the message that doing so will fuck up their lives.

If you’re gonna cross criminal lines to get likes, shares, and retweets in social media... then you should be damned well willing to do the time and pay the fine when you’re caught.

Highly agree. Should change the laws so that they are harsher against people attempting to go viral while breaking the law and doing stupid shit. (the two usually go hand in hand)

Petrae

Highly agree. Should change the laws so that they are harsher against people attempting to go viral while breaking the law and doing stupid shit. (the two usually go hand in hand)

Hey, if morons want to be self-injurious in order to go viral, have at it. Break a leg. (Literally.) If they do something that poses potential harm to others— individuals or businesses— then it’s a different matter, especially if it’s law-breaking.

I can’t buy ignorance, and I have a hard time with the “It’s just a kid” defense here. Let’s not forget that this young woman’s shenanigans has already led to a copycat case elsewhere (with mouthwash) because it went viral. She did something stupid “for the views”.

The intent is different than maliciously trying to poison food, but it’s not a crime that should skate by with a light fine and a bit of community service. It should be severe enough that the perpetrator and others like her seeking their five minutes of social media stardom understand that breaking the law to get there carries a significant price. Yeah, she’s a minor, but not immune to criminal punishment for her actions.

20 years in jail? Nah. A lesser sentence, including a short term (a year or less) of juvenile detention, house arrest, and a lengthy period of probation (at least 5 years) should be acceptable, along with a steep fine and/or restitution (up to $10,000).

In the case of adults who do this shit? Throw the fucking book at them. Make it a mandatory short term jail sentence, combined with 10 years of probation upon release and $25,000 in fines. Combine that with civil litigation from any food company and the idea that going viral with this will ruin your life should end the copycat idea. If people are still dumb enough to use this as a ticket to internet fame, I’ll have no sympathy for them when the legal shit hits the fan.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it’s weird but...20 years for ice cream? Jesus christ.

Last edited by a moderator:

TacosNSalsa

I always found it weird that most ice cream tubs have no kind of seal or anything on them ..you can just open them just like that..

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Juvenile justice system.. what a complete joke.. slap on the wrist.
Are you saying we should bring back the electric chair for juveniles? Are you running for congress?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I remember when that singer did the same to a donut ... And put it back. Why weren't there any charges brought on her?

Oh, right. Hollywood doesn't get that treatment like every day Americans.

Top Bottom